PDA

View Full Version : Ridiculous Spell Combos at Epic Play with Taint

Tevesh
2014-03-05, 10:02 AM
I'm been running a game for a few months now and I'm on the BOSS of the game. I want some truly ridiculous spell combos with this chap.

Here's what I've got so far:
Ushemoi Arkamoi, Fighter 2/Tainted Sorcerer 10/Swiftblade 10/Spelldancer 1/Escalation Mage 1 HD 28 HP 247 DR 5/Slash/Pierce
AC 34 T 32 F 22 SR 38; Mobility Move 80' Super Blur 50%
Init +9; Fort +27 Ref +30 Will +26
Cast: Righteous Wrath of the Faithful (+3 Atk/Dmg, Extra Attack if Full Atk), Mass Shield of Faith (+4 Deflection), Recitation (+3 Luck Saves, Enemies -2 Saves), Mass Conviction (+4 Morale Saves), Haste (+3 Dodge AC, +3 Ref, +1 Atk, +1 Hit)
BAB +21

Ray +29

Str 8
Dex 18
Con 18
Int 14
Wis 16
Cha 20

Abilities
Strength from Magic - +10 Damage
Advice - Give +2 to d20
Taint 30
Perpetual Options - Extra Standard Action
Innervated Speed - Haste as 6th, Time Stop 1 Round; 7th, 2 Rds; 8th, 3 Rds; 9th, 4 Rds

Spells - CL 22
x? 10th ???
x7 9th 3
x7 8th Greater Arcane Fusion, 2
x7 7th Rapture of Rupture (Touch 6d6+d6/Level+Stun/Fort 47; d6 each rd, if roll 6 Stun next Round), Arcane Spellsurge, 1
x8 6th Greater Dispel Magic (+20), 2
x8 5th Arcane Fusion, 3
x8 4th 4
x8 3rd Haste, 3
x9 2nd Wings of Cover, 4
x9 1st 5

Feats
- Combat Casting
- Endurance
- Versatile Spellcaster
b Dodge
b Mobility
-
-
-
b Spring Attack
-
b Bounding Assault
-
-
-
b Corrupt Arcana x2 - Prepare 2 CORRUPT spells

Skill Concentration +38 Spellcraft +33

Explanations:
1. The build is a little unusual. I went with Fighter 2 for Nonassociated Class levels for the feats to be ready for Swiftblade later on. I went with Tainted Sorcerer over Scholar for the d8 HD though I am using 2 Corrupt Feats with the Heroes of Horror splat. Swiftblade for unstoppable 50% miss chance and Time Stops out of the butt. Spelldancer for reduction of metamagic cost and Escalation Mage as a decent end cap for the CR I want.

2. He has a Cleric which is where you see all the Cleric-y buffs.

3. The Haste has extra buffs from the Swiftblade.

4. Taint 30 is not as ridiculous as going for Taint 55 (Wis 16) or some other ludicrous number. Its high enough to make every spell formidable.

Goals:
1. Time Stop shenanigans. I went with a Swiftblade so he could easily poop out Time Stops at will. This is supposed to be an epic throw down. What are some of the shenanigans I could cook up with popping Time Stops every round - Swiftblade gets Quickened Hastes and high level Hastes turn into Time Stops.

2. Ocular Spell? You need a Standard Action to fill up on this, that's what Time Stop is for. Any interesting combos for a Nova? With an Arcane Spellsurge up, he can full round Nova with Ocular and then as a Swift come up with a 3rd Spell.

3. Show how Evil/Corrupt he is. I've got Rapture of Rupture for an Evil Spell. The other Corrupt spell I was thinking of going with is Absorb Strength: gaining a +10 bonus to Constitution for eating a Giant of some kind would give this guy lots of HP. I don't want a tiny little Nova to kill him.

Another Corrupt Spell as a suggestion, then?

Also, general evil spells would be nice. I'm tired of using Blasphemy as a go-to.

4. AN EPIC SPELL! I've never gone past 20 with character creation so I don't know how to optimize an Epic Spell.

I was thinking of a Summon Seed. I don't want to blow up the world with this guy, just have a few friends show up. I was thinking of using a Persisted Time Stop so I could use long casting time as a mitigation to lower the DC. Then I found out that Persisted Time Stop doesn't work, so I need some crafty summon.

The issue is his Spellcraft is max ranks and he still ends up with a pathetically low number. The other Epic I was thinking was a Contingent Resurrect on himself.

5. Interesting equipment? I was thinking of a Vest of Sadism and Masochism, the more damage you do to him and he does to others, the more powerful he is.

Restrictions:
1. No Undead. The PCs are fighting in a positive energy field, which will give them some Fast Healing to mitigate the beating but that means I can't use Undead Summons, Minions or what have you.

Playground. I know you guys like Optimizing. Help pimp my final boss!

Snowbluff
2014-03-05, 10:17 AM
Fighter can be replaced with Wizard, which can replace the feats and Scribe Scroll with bonus feats.

Your AC isn't looking so hot for epic. My Wiz6/SB9/Spelldancer1/AbjurantChamp4 persists (Ocular) haste, shield, and has Luminous Armor to supplement his AC, but this guy is probably evil. Casting haste is counterable, but persisting it is actually unstoppable.

Mark of the Dauntless + Celerity for immediate action castings at no penalty.

Also,where is your base casting? I only see fighter and some PrCs.

Equipment:

x10 +5 Defending Ringsword Spellblade Poison Rings
- one is warning
- one is Blindsighted
X2 Spellblade Ringsword Defending Spiked Gaunlets, with want chambers
X2 Bucklers, +5
- one is Empyreal, for sacred to saves
- The other is heavy fortification.
- One has the Rapid Wrath ability from Ghostwalk.
- Soulfire, too
X1 Dastana, +5, maybe some other stuff.
X1 Horned Helmet

Tevesh
2014-03-05, 10:59 AM
Swiftblade makes haste an Ex ability, making it impossible to Counter or Dispel. Uncounterable Time Stop is pretty sweet.

Where's Spellblade and Ringsword from? What do they do?

The Ushemoi Arkamoi (MM5) are counted as Sorcerers. CR 4 monster that counts as Sorcerer 4. Levels in Sorcerer are considered Associated, everything else including other Casters are not, so I'm using PrCs as Nonassociated to pump up his CR (yay stuff I need to do for high level to actually challenge the PCs).

Yeah, the boss is NE.

I was hoping of using some spells to pump up the AC. I guess Abj Champ would easily assist with that but I'm tired of using it on all my casters to increase their AC.

Edit: Also, Celerity is banned at my table.

Any suggestions for that Epic Spell?

Snowbluff
2014-03-05, 12:17 PM
Reread fortified hustle. Exceptions are my specialty. Haste is only (Ex) while you are under its effects. Before you are done casting, it's still able to be countered.

Ringsword is a specific weapon from Arms and Equipment Guide. For a few thousand gold, it lets you wear a ring on your weapon and be under it's effect. The property can be deconstructed for 4kgp.

Spellblade is from Magic of Faerun or Player's Guide to Faerun. A Spellblade is keyed to a spell. When the wielder is targeted by that spell, the spellblade absorbs it, and lets you send it back at your opponent. Most people use it for Dispels, but a lot of common spells like Enervation/Energy Drain would be good. It's also a flat cost, which is great for multiple weapons.

Sorc race? All good.

As for the epic spell, I never play with them. I wouldn't know what to do with it. Maybe a Familicide-like effect from OoTS? That's really evil. You can probably wave the weird targeting and cost as the DM. Maybe he learned it from a stone tablet?