PDA

View Full Version : Learning memories

Vaz
2014-03-05, 12:15 PM
Wanting to play a party face character in an upcoming game, with Leadership (approved) to give me some combat capabilities, but only ones which I meet in game.

I'm thinking of taking a Synad Sorcerer with Reserves of Strength as the basis, allowing me to break the level limits on stuff like Scare, etc. I realise that these are Mind Affecting, and of course limited, but I'm not going for high power anyway. One thing I'd love to do it with is to take the form of an Intellect Devourer, and then eventually Assume Supernatural Ability to get its ability to eat the brain of the target.

However, what I'd especially love to do is learn memories. The easiest way is obviously by Charming/Diplomancing Targets, but after reading the intellect devourer, what ways can I learn the target's memories?

One I can remember is by turning into a Greater Doppelganger; it's Su ability specifically allows learning of memories, among other broken stuff that I'm not especially interested in. Can anyone help with a build?

Flickerdart
2014-03-05, 12:42 PM
I'm thinking of taking a Synad Sorcerer with Reserves of Strength as the basis, allowing me to break the level limits on stuff like Scare, etc.
This doesn't work with any reading of the feat: the 6HD cap on Scare is not a level-based variable, in that it is neither based on your caster level, nor a number that changes.

Miss Disaster
2014-03-05, 01:08 PM
If you are willing to backport PF material into your 3.5 game, a thematic spell that might interest you is Share Memory. A 2nd level Wiz/Sorc Divination spell. Touch to contact, Will Save (for non-voluntary applications) and Yes=SR. It's not overpowered at all.

I've used it recently on my 3.5 Wizard to reduce a sizable DC penalty when using the Scry Location spell. But it has a lot of other applications and combos with spells like Teleport, etc.

EDIT: You can view the spell's details via PF's SRD or Paizo site.

Vaz
2014-03-05, 07:58 PM
This doesn't work with any reading of the feat: the 6HD cap on Scare is not a level-based variable, in that it is neither based on your caster level, nor a number that changes.

"You can exceed the normal level-fixed limits of a spell with this feat"

6HD is a level-fixed limit, by my reading, and the DM's. If that's considered a houserule, then so be it.

@Miss Disaster, sadly, no backporting. 3.0 can be imported in, and setting specific stuff has regional requirements/fluff changed to fit the game's setting.

Crake
2014-03-05, 08:35 PM
Illithid savant lets you get the memories of brains you eat, along with other benefits like skillpoints, feats and even class features.