PDA

View Full Version : (Kingmaker - Pathfinder) - Removing Nyrissa?

EccentricOwl
2014-03-05, 03:33 PM
I'm a huge , epic, massive fan of the Kingmaker adventure path for Pathfinder. I think it's one of Paizo's best products ever, in fact.

I do take exception to part 6. Nyrissa, the fey queen, didn't really appear to do much until chapter 5, and it seems like she might be written out... though then the conclusion might not be as fun.

I just feel that she changes the tone quite a bit.

What do you think? Is she integral? If I didn't want to use her, how might I edit or change the story? Has this already been answered elsewhere?

KOedBarbarian
2014-03-12, 01:32 PM
This is something I ran into while running Kingmaker for my own group.
Spoilers for Kingmaker;

Nyrissa isn’t quite given enough presence earlier on in the campaign, instead relying heavily on the PC’s putting together the pieces in Book 5, and maybe drawing on some minor, throw-away clues in Book 1. Personally, if I had to run the campaign again, I think I’d make Irrovetti the main villain – make his presence known after the PC’s establish their kingdom, (refugees fleeing Drelev’s invasion by Pitax, traveling merchants from Pitax, etc.). He shouldn’t have a hard time developing a reputation with the PCs. He also provides you the option to add more politics to the game; what’s Mivon up to? How are the Swordlords faring in their preparations for the upcoming war? Do the PC's really want to be making trouble with their vastly more developed neighbors, especially if those neighbors have other powerful friends?

There’s a lot you can do with the setting – it all depends on what you’re looking for. Just my 2c.

Diarmuid
2014-03-12, 01:49 PM
I was just about to put a link to a very similar thread I saw on the paizo boards on this when I noticed you started that one over there too.

You might also want to add a Spoiler notation to your thread title (like you did on the Paizo boards) in case people playing the campaign might wander in.

Skysaber
2014-03-12, 09:27 PM
Currently running Kingmaker and from the outset the party has been befriending all of the fey creatures they can find.

Started out with Tyg-Titter-Tut and Perlivash, but every time I rolled up a random encounter and it was fey, they were offering sweet treats and glittery objects after laughing and being good sports about however they got pranked.

They paid for that unicorn to be brought back from the dead, then gave him a leadership post in the kingdom. They also held out posts to Tyg-Titter-Tut and Perlivash. And it just kept growing.

Lots of laughs around the table, but no plans about using Nyrissa. Not at this point. And you know what? Dropping her was near effortless. Blame the few things she actually had a hand in on one of the kingdom's neighbors who'd like to see them fail, and you're golden.

KOedBarbarian
2014-03-13, 08:17 AM
Currently running Kingmaker and from the outset the party has been befriending all of the fey creatures they can find.

Started out with Tyg-Titter-Tut and Perlivash, but every time I rolled up a random encounter and it was fey, they were offering sweet treats and glittery objects after laughing and being good sports about however they got pranked.

That's awesome. Tyg-titter-tut and Pervliash quickly became some of my group's favorite NPCs of the game. They joked at one point that Pervliash was the actual BBEG and he was manipulating everything around them.