PDA

View Full Version : How can I get a spell like ability?

Mongrel
2014-03-05, 03:35 PM
Hey guys. So I'm going to be joining a new game as a PC soon and the character idea I have so far is a tiefling monk who is aspiring to be a Mortal Hunter (PrC in Book of Vile Darkness) and whose philosophy is "a life is measured by the lives it takes." One thing I noticed about the Mortal Hunter PrC is that one of its requirements is the feat "Mortalbane," which essentially gives extra damage to any damaging spell-like ability you can use (for a number of times a day). There's also a class feature of the Mortal Hunter that enhances a specific spell-like ability (your choice among what you've got). The problem is, Tieflings don't have any spell-like abilities. Does anyone know a way to get a damaging spell-like ability via a feat, or maybe an early (level 1 or 2) class feature for a class that could conceivably compliment a monk?

Alternatively, does anyone have a suggestion for a different race that might be more appropriate (an outsider that has a damaging spell-like ability)? The game will be starting at level 1, but one of the players will apparently be playing a troll half dragon somehow, so I assume the DM would have a way to allow me to play a higher CR monster as well. Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?

Forrestfire
2014-03-05, 03:43 PM
Warlock invocations and eldritch blast are spell-like abilities.

Psionic powers are technically spell-like abilities (https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20060613a).

Utterances are spell-like abilities Don't use Truenamer.

Urpriest
2014-03-05, 04:02 PM
...Tieflings have a spell-like ability as one of their racial traits. Granted, it doesn't do damage, so doesn't really help you in this, but still.

Anyway, the Fiendish Heritage feats should be helpful here, if limited in scope.

If the game is starting at level one and someone is playing a Troll Half-Dragon then you probably should figure out what sorts of houserules are in play before you make any decisions whatsoever about your character.

ZamielVanWeber
2014-03-05, 04:21 PM
Because of transparency, Phtrnic is a good templste for a Mortal Hunter. Ask your DM about starying level/LA reduction. (that troll is rocking 7 LA if memory serves,)

Mongrel
2014-03-05, 07:17 PM
Thanks for the input you guys! Right now I'm liking the Warlock idea. My current plan is to go monk/warlock with a 1 level dip in Ranger for track (a prerequisite of the PrC), which will allow me to start taking Mortal Hunter levels at level 10. I might skip the monk levels entirely and just go straight warlock with the Ranger dip, I haven't really decided yet.