PDA

View Full Version : Low level spells that can get around glyph of warding

Yogibear41
2014-03-05, 07:15 PM
Are there any low level spells that can be used to bypass the detection of a glyph of warding? Dispelling it is not an option, say its at a city/town gate with guards posted and you just need to make it through undetected and there may or may not be others scattered all over that town or city. Getting caught means almost certain death.

unseenmage
2014-03-05, 08:02 PM
Detect Magic (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/detectMagic.htm)?

More seriously, Guidance of the Avatar (https://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/sb/sb20010504a) will make just about anyone a rockstar at Search checks.

Yogibear41
2014-03-05, 08:17 PM
No..... I need to be able to be undetectable by it. Like I said its at a gate or something, and there are guards, oh don't mind me Mr. Guard I'm just detecting magic and searching this gate for magical booby traps before I walk into your town.

unseenmage
2014-03-05, 08:26 PM
No..... I need to be able to be undetectable by it. Like I said its at a gate or something, and there are guards, oh don't mind me Mr. Guard I'm just detecting magic and searching this gate for magical booby traps before I walk into your town.

Detect Magic can be quite passive. In the first six second round you get to see the colorful magic Auras.
In the second 6 seconds you get to see how many there are and how powerful they are.
By the time you've spent three rounds asking about trade, the local laws, and taxation you know precise locations and schools of magic.

I think Detect Magic and some clever roleplaying would get you through this.

TuggyNE
2014-03-05, 08:40 PM
How low-level are we talking? Because nondetection is a 3rd-level Core spell that explicitly does this just fine, and misdirection is a 2nd-level Core spell that, with a bit of cleverness, can also work.

Yogibear41
2014-03-05, 08:53 PM
Technically Non-Detection doesn't work because glyph of warding is an abjuration spell, and Non-Detection is for Divination Spells. If it does work and I am missing something that would be great. DERP glyph of warding description specifically says non-detection works on it. DERP

Unseeenmage I think you are missing the point, detect magic only shows you it is there, you still have to walk through it. If I didn't know it was probably already there to begin with I wouldn't need to know away around it.

Not to mention that Detect Magic has both a verbal and a somatic component, in a world full of magic, even if the guard has no clue what spell you are casting its pretty obvious you are up to something waving your arms around in the air and speaking gibberish, and if the town has wards set up to detect people like yourself and you are obviously just trying to blend in its probably not such a good idea to draw alot of attention to yourself either way.

Deophaun
2014-03-05, 09:08 PM
Summon Monster I + Benign Transposition

Glimbur
2014-03-05, 09:17 PM
Do you have to go through the gate to get into the city?

Yogibear41
2014-03-05, 09:37 PM
For this, assume that I have to go through where the ward is, granted that might not always be the case but option B is not always an option ya know? :smallsmile: