PDA

View Full Version : Permanent, Cheap, Protection from evil

Rezialn
2014-03-05, 07:38 PM
Hello everybody!

My DM has this artifact sword that seems to hypnotize an observer to try to pick it up, and then possesses the person that picks it up. I've been able to safely touch it with protection from evil cast. It's apparently very powerful and I'd like to wield it.

So, how would I go about getting the cheapest possible permanent protection from evil?

I am a level 5 artificer. I haven't got much gold but I can try to get some together. I do have Persistent Spell.

Douglas
2014-03-05, 08:05 PM
The Exalted armor or shield special property from Book of Exalted Deeds does it for a +3 bonus. Might be out of your price range.

If you can retrain a feat or wait for level 6, Shape Soulmeld (Planar Ward) from Magic of Incarnum would do it for no gold cost.

Vanitas
2014-03-05, 08:12 PM
If you are an artificer, I'd try disenchanting the sword.

Rezialn
2014-03-05, 08:15 PM
If you are an artificer, I'd try disenchanting the sword.

Artificers can't disenchant, as far as I'm aware. They have retain essense, but, retain essense can only be used on things you have the crafting ability for. Only gods can craft artifacts.

bekeleven
2014-03-05, 08:16 PM
Craft Wondrous Item? Price of 2000 (slotted) or 4k (slotless)?

Rezialn
2014-03-05, 08:19 PM

Doable, but crafting permanent protection from evil onto an item is ludicrously expensive.

Crake
2014-03-05, 08:20 PM

it'd be 2k (4k unslotted) if it was use activated, but that would require re-applying it every minute. If you wanted it continuous, you'd need to pay 4k (or 8k unslotted) since minute/level duration has a 2x multiplier for continuous

4k shouldn't be out of your price range, since crafting it yourself would take 4 days, 2k worth of materials and 160xp (assuming unslotted). 4k is, after all, the same cost as a +2 ability item. I suppose its up to you, would you rather a +2 ability item, or something that lets you wield and artifact?

Lord Vukodlak
2014-03-05, 08:21 PM
it'd be 2k (4k unslotted) if it was use activated, but that would require re-applying it every minute. If you wanted it continuous, you'd need to pay 4k (or 8k unslotted) since minute/level duration has a 2x multiplier for continuous

Presuming the DM agrees to that price as those are merely guidelines, many continuous magic items have prices far in excess of the guideline due to how useful the item is. I saw a continual item of protection from evil in the Age of Worms campaign it was priced around 30,000gp. Which for what it does is actually quite fair.

I'd advice you against using the blade, even if your protected other party members are not. If the sword can hypnotize observers that would include your whole party.... townsfolk... etc etc

If they all get hypnotized to take the sword from you... well your an artificer so it probably won't end well. And if the sword can possess you with an evil force it might be capable of shutting off its powers too.

Rubik
2014-03-05, 08:22 PM
There's a Protection From Evil banner in Heroes of Battle. It costs 8,000 gp and affects all allies in a 30' radius.

Rezialn
2014-03-05, 08:31 PM
There's a Protection From Evil banner in Heroes of Battle. It costs 8,000 gp and affects all allies in a 30' radius.

Now THAT sounds like what I'm looking for. A little expensive, but I can craft it after I get the gold together. It'll also protect my party members from the hypnosis. Although, it is an artifact so who knows what the DM is going to do, but that's half the fun.

Red Fel
2014-03-05, 08:34 PM
Shape Soulmeld (Enigma Helm) + Open Least Chakra (Crown) = Immunity to Enchantment (Charm) spells. Also, free nondetection.

Shape Soulmeld (Planar Ward) = Prevents any attempts to possess or exercise control over you, including enchantment (charm) or enchantment (compulsion).

Frankly, I think Planar Ward is the easiest one to pull off, since it only requires one feat, but Enigma Helm has the added benefit of nondetection. So that's up to you.

Lord Vukodlak
2014-03-05, 08:35 PM
Now THAT sounds like what I'm looking for. A little expensive, but I can craft it after I get the gold together. It'll also protect my party members from the hypnosis. Although, it is an artifact so who knows what the DM is going to do, but that's half the fun.

Let me know when the sword gets you killed.

Rezialn
2014-03-05, 08:36 PM
Let me know when the sword gets you killed.

I will! :smallbiggrin:

Rubik
2014-03-05, 08:37 PM
Now THAT sounds like what I'm looking for. A little expensive, but I can craft it after I get the gold together. It'll also protect my party members from the hypnosis. Although, it is an artifact so who knows what the DM is going to do, but that's half the fun.If you can find a way to deal with ability damage, look at dreamstained items in Hyperconscious.

Lord Vukodlak
2014-03-05, 08:47 PM

Ways this can blow up in your face.(aside from the DM ruling the item needs to cost more then 8.000gp)

1: Once you pick up the sword your possessed by the evil force until someone else picks up the sword. Putting the blade away doesn't end the possession. The spirit is just faking dormancy to lure you into a false sense of security.

2: Someone at a range beyond 30ft will be hypnotized by the sword and destroy the banner or suppress the banner.

3: Its an artifact with a will of its own and possibly other powers you haven't discovered. Imagine if the sword was capable of casting dispel magic. It might be capable of suppressing or attacking your protective item all by its self.

MadGreenSon
2014-03-05, 08:50 PM

I just want to say: I like the cut of your jib! You seem like a fun player to have in a game.

Rezialn
2014-03-05, 09:03 PM
I just want to say: I like the cut of your jib! You seem like a fun player to have in a game.

Thanks man. I just play to have fun. I am an artificer for robot dogs and crafting all the things.

Lord Vukodlak
2014-03-05, 09:03 PM

I know... the item is such an obvious trap intended to ruin him, the party and everyone around him... and not only is he acutely aware of this.... he's walking right into it.

Rubik
2014-03-05, 09:06 PM
If you're worried about being dispelled, cast Magic Mouth on yourself as many times as you can, then get yourself two +6,000 gp Spellblade enhancements on a boot blade or something, one keyed to Dispel Magic and the other keyed to Greater Dispel Magic.

MadGreenSon
2014-03-05, 09:07 PM
I know... the item is such an obvious trap intended to ruin him, the party and everyone around him... and not only is he acutely aware of this.... he's walking right into it.

<Sigh>... If only my players weren't ruined into being so cautious by years of having me GM. Now they only do stuff like that intentionally and it's almost impossible to get this kind of wide-eyed enthusiasm.

I feel old. :smallfrown:

137beth
2014-03-06, 01:12 AM
My top reccomendation (banner from HoB) was already mentioned.
However, in the long run there are other options. For example, find a vampire or wight or other undead that can turn humanoids into spawn, have it vampirize/wightize one of your party members, and have the rest of the party kill it. Then have the undead PC convert the rest of the party. Boom, everyone's immune to mind affecting effects, all the time, permanently :smallsmile:

Rubik
2014-03-06, 01:17 AM
My top reccomendation (banner from HoB) was already mentioned.
However, in the long run there are other options. For example, find a vampire or wight or other undead that can turn humanoids into spawn, have it vampirize/wightize one of your party members, and have the rest of the party kill it. Then have the undead PC convert the rest of the party. Boom, everyone's immune to mind affecting effects, all the time, permanently :smallsmile:Actually, the weapon's effects might not even be [mind-affecting]. It could be a form of body possession.

In which case, immunity to [mind-affecting] wouldn't work, but Protection From Evil still would.