PDA

View Full Version : Dragon prcs on a PC

paperarmor
2014-03-05, 08:27 PM
From Draconomicon I know that they are bad for Dragons but if you could qualify for them as a PC should you take them?

MadGreenSon
2014-03-05, 09:13 PM
From Draconomicon I know that they are bad for Dragons but if you could qualify for them as a PC should you take them?

Dragon Ascendant basically caps with Divine Rank 0, that might be fun. I think there was a challenge for awhile to get a character under level 20 to qualify for Hidecarved Dragon, not sure how that turned out.

The Dragon PrCs in Draconomicon don't thrill me. But the prestige of saying you're in one in a non Dragon character might be fun.

Urpriest
2014-03-05, 09:15 PM
They're hard to get into pre-epic, some very hard. There are a couple tricks you can pull with the ones that convert casting, the barbarian-esque one is not bad for a barbarian PrC, and Hidecarved is at least defensively oriented? Oh, and as mentioned, only way to get a divine rank without DM fiat.

MadGreenSon
2014-03-05, 09:21 PM
They're hard to get into pre-epic, some very hard. There are a couple tricks you can pull with the ones that convert casting, the barbarian-esque one is not bad for a barbarian PrC, and Hidecarved is at least defensively oriented? Oh, and as mentioned, only way to get a divine rank without DM fiat.

Yeah, very hard to get into pre-epic, and not really all that worth it. The flavor and fluff on Disciple of Ashardalon makes me want to create a PrC for Half-Dragons and such, but as it stands the actual PrC just turns you into a Half Fiend, and if that's all you want, then there's other, simpler ways.

I think a PrC designed around replacing your heart with a demon should have some oomph to it and be freakin interesting. Not too much of a Homebrewer or I'd do something with it.

TypoNinja
2014-03-06, 02:43 AM
Dragon Ascendant basically caps with Divine Rank 0, that might be fun.

Dragon Ascendant has a requirement of a BAB of +30, so you'd qualify at level 40 soonest as a PC. One of the few times monstrous HD are superior to PC class levels. HD don't follow the Epic Attack Bonus rules.