PDA

View Full Version : An Arcane Archer?

tadkins
2014-03-05, 08:58 PM
Quick question, does anything like this exist in 4e? An arcane-based character that fights with a bow, basically.

The most obvious way I can think of is to hybridize a wizard or a sorcerer with an archery class like a rogue or ranger, but I'm not entirely sure what sort of combination would be the most effective.

Any thoughts?

GPuzzle
2014-03-05, 09:01 PM
Prescient Bard?

OracleofWuffing
2014-03-05, 09:34 PM
Artificers can do well with crossbows, if the difference between those and bows isn't a big deal to you.

Blackdrop
2014-03-05, 09:35 PM
Prescient Bard?

That would be the simplest solution. Artificer works as well, if your cool with using crossbows.

If Leaders aren't your thing, there are ways for the other Arcane classes to use a Bow as an implement for your powers. The one the most easily comes to mind is the Moonbow Dedicate feat from Dragon 386, which lets you use a shortbow for your Arcane and Divine implement powers, while also providing a scaling damage boost for your weapon and implement powers. Putting that on a Wild or Storm Sorcerer would be fairly viable.

Epinephrine
2014-03-05, 09:37 PM
Sadly, there is no great way to do it as anything but a leader. The Moonbow Dedicate (worshippers of Sehanine) can use a shortbow as an implement, so you can fluff that as firing arcane arrows. At paragon the feat Moonbow Prelate can extend the range of ranged and area spells by 5 squares, which matches the idea a bit.

For leaders, there is the bard and the artificer, both of which can be decent arcane bow-users.

Edit: Ninja'd!
Also, Elf Artificers can use a regular bow instead of a Crossbow, as obviously Sehanine Worshippers could.

tadkins
2014-03-05, 09:44 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I forgot to mention that the role doesn't matter for the most part, so I'm entirely fine with a leader, controller, or anything else.

Had no idea that bards used bows. Never really looked at the class, or knew anyone who played one. Looks like it'd fit perfectly. Same with the Artificer and a Sorcerer set up with the Moonbow Dedicate feat. Plenty of options to play with, it looks like. :)

Thanks again!

Elkreeal
2014-03-05, 09:44 PM
This is far from optimal but I find the warlord with training in arcana and the Arcane Battlemaster paragon path to be something fun, useful and with smilar fluff to what you wanted, you can start with one of the suggested classes and MC into warlord for the paragon path and also get the feat that lets you use a short bow as an implement to path everything up.

edit:ninja'd

tcrudisi
2014-03-05, 10:55 PM
Yes. Worship Sehanine and take the feat Moonbow Dedicate. It allows you to use a bow as an implement.

It works with any class.

Juzer
2014-03-06, 05:49 AM
...or just take the feat Arcane Implement Proficiency for Songbows (the enchanted bows and crossbows which bards can use as implement):
if you are an elf, you can also shoot a proper arrow from it without any Weapon Proficiency feat and this will work pretty good with a Int/Dex Wizard

shamgar001
2014-03-06, 06:03 AM
...or just take the feat Arcane Implement Proficiency for Songbows (the enchanted bows and crossbows which bards can use as implement):

I don't think that would work, because the songbow isn't an implement; it's a weapon that can be used as an implement for bard spells.

If I were DM'ing, I'd probably allow it, but it doesn't work by RAW.

Inevitability
2014-03-06, 10:13 AM
Well, like said, moonbow dedicate is probably your best bet.

It is basically three feats for one.
-Arcane (and divine) implement proficiency (shortbow)
-Weapon focus (shortbow)
-Weapon expertise (shortbow)

Also, in order to gain a 19-20 critical range, arcane classes often have to put points in three stats, while they're interested in 2, at most. Bow mastery requires no stats, and just gives you 19-20 crit range for free, making an arcane archer a viable build concept.

GPuzzle
2014-03-06, 11:28 AM
This sounds like a cool concept for either a Rogue|Sorcerer or a Bard|Warlord/Daring Blade or a Warlock|Warlord/Daring Blade.

*starts sketching the concept*

Daracaex
2014-03-06, 11:59 AM
It is basically three feats for one.
-Arcane (and divine) implement proficiency (shortbow)
-Weapon focus (shortbow)
-Weapon expertise (shortbow)

It doesn't give +1 to attacks.

Sol
2014-03-07, 05:52 PM
Have you looked at the seeker?

It's essentially the same thing, just described differently.

You could even probably get most DMs to agree to replace the primal keyword with Arcane, if having the wrong keyword on your powers bothered you.

p.d0t
2014-03-15, 12:44 AM
Not strictly "arcane" but you can Make decently-viable Blackguard archers; conveniently Blackguards and Cavaliers get military ranged weapon proficiency, unlike paladins.
Also there is a fairly good variety of DEX+CHA races, particularly compared to STR+CHA.

basically Dread Smite and Spirit of Vice (Domination) will both work fine with ranged weapons.
Cavaliers can use their Holy Smite with ranged weapons, too, but at that point you're probably doing a bad job of being a defender, if that matters.