PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other [Spell] Summon Battleloth Quiver

Xuldarinar
2014-03-05, 09:36 PM
Taking a look over Dragon 306, the concept for a spell came to mind. I thought I'd share it, see what people think, and make any changed needed to balance it. Enjoy.

Summon Battleloth Quiver
Conjuration (Summoning)[Evil]
Level: Brd 2, Clr 2, Rgr 2, Sor/Wiz 2
Components: V, S, F/DF
Casting Time: 1 round
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Effect: One or more summoned creature, no two of which can be more than 30 ft. apart.
Duration: 1 round plus 1 round/level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

This spell summons a number of arrow battleloth equal to one half your caster level, rounded down. These arrow battleloth are summoned in the form of arrows and often are summoned together into a quiver (which is the spell's focus for arcane casters). It may act immediately on your turn. After fired, or if you wish summoned close to an opponent's location, It attacks your opponents to the best of its ability. You can direct it to attack, to attack particular enemies, or preform other actions.
Arcane Focus: A quiver.

Arrow Battleloth
Small Outsider (Evil, Extraplanar)
Hit Dice: 1d8 (4 hp)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 20 ft., fly 80 ft. (perfect)
Armor Class: 16 (+1 size,+3 Dex, +2 natural)
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/-3
Attack: Claw +2 melee (1d3)
Full Attack: 2 claws +2 melee (1d3 )
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: None
Special Qualities: Arrow Form, damage reduction 5/good, darkvision 60 ft., immunity to acid and poison, resistance to cold 20, electricity 20, and fire 20, spell resistance 12, telepathy 100 ft.
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +5, Will +4
Abilities: Str 10, Dex 17, Con 11, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 11
Skills: Craft (fletching) +4, Spot +6
Feats: Dodge
Environment: Bleak Eternity of Gehenna
Organization: Solitary, pair, or quiver (3-20)
Challenge Rating: 1
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Always neutral evil
Advancement: By character class
Level Adjustment: +2

Arrow Form (Su): When fired from a bow, an arrow battleloth can turn at any point in its flight to attack an opponent who had cover or concealment, or was otherwise out of the bow wielder's line of sight. As soon as the battleloth spots the desired target it can use its flying ability to adjust its course, so long as it does not move beyond the maximum range of the weapon used to fire it. The attacker makes a normal attack roll against the target to see whether the battleloth hits, ignoring any miss chances or AC bonuses that would otherwise apply for concealment or cover. Otherwise, the arrow battleloth functions as a +1 arrow. Although it can turn into an arrow and fly on its own, an arrow battleloth cannot attack in arrow form without being fired from a bow.

-
While their favored class is technically fighter, I cannot help but imagine an arrow battleloth would make incredible scouts...

Debihuman
2014-03-11, 07:10 AM
You should probably update the arrow battleloth to 3.5 as well since not everyone has access to Dragon Magazine.

Arrow battleloths are really weak and I can't see wasting a spell slot that only summons one kind of creature. You'd actually be better off with summoning a celestial hawk at level 1.

Summoning a battleloth is like summoning a +1 arrow. You'd still have to spend a standard action to fire the arrow battleloth from a bow.

Note: "The attacker makes a normal attack roll against the target to see whether the battleloth hits, ignoring any miss chances or AC bonuses the that would otherwise apply for concealment or cover." See Dragon Magazine pg. 39.

Debby

Xuldarinar
2014-03-11, 07:29 AM
You should probably update the arrow battleloth to 3.5 as well since not everyone has access to Dragon Magazine.

Arrow battleloths are really weak and I can't see wasting a spell slot that only summons one kind of creature. You'd actually be better off with summoning a celestial hawk at level 1.

Debby

Thats not a bad idea, I think sometime today i'll do that.

Im aware they are really weak, an annoyance more than a threat, but having arrows that ignore miss chances, concealment, and cover, and actually do something after they are fired (hit or miss) could be useful. Granted, there are better uses for spell slots, especially for casting focused builds, but for a character who relies on using a bow, I think there could be some benefit. At least for the levels they would first get the spell anyways.

That having been said, are there any changes you think could be made to the spell to make it more useful? More worth the spell slot?

Debihuman
2014-03-11, 08:55 AM
It's not a bad spell, but how do you hold and ready a bow while casting this spell since you need a hand free for the somatic portion of the spell?

"Normally, operating a light crossbow requires two hands. However, you can shoot, but not load, a light crossbow with one hand at a -2 penalty on attack rolls."

It takes a standard round to cast this spell. On your next round you spend a move action to load your crossbow (with the arrow battleloth you just summoned) and then fire it as a standard action.

As written the spell's duration doesn't take into account the fact that you can't cast the spell and load a light crossbow at the same time (unless you happen to have 3 or more hands).

This spell summons a number of arrow battleloth equal to one half your caster level, rounded down. These arrow battleloth are summoned in the form of arrows and often are summoned together into a quiver (which is the spell's focus for arcane casters), into the caster's hands, or another convenient location.

Also, the name of the feat is Manyshot not Multishot unless there is another feat by that name.

You may load and fire the arrow battleloth normally (it takes a move action to load it into a light crossbow and a standard round to fire). If you possess the manyshot feat, you may fire two arrow battleloths at the same time at the same target. After it firing, an arrow battleloth will take humanoid form (a standard action) and continue fighting.

The duration should be 1 round plus 1 round/level or special.

Debby