PDA

View Full Version : Kalaran: an E6 World

Ruethgar
2014-03-05, 10:30 PM
So I have this massive creation being, Aubrey, that made 1000 worlds and I have been populating a few of them. However trying to think of the potential power of the beings there and how that would interact and eventually what outcome would result, I could only come to the conclusion that a wizard would eventually destroy the world.

So I started making them E6 and want the playground's opinion on one world in particular, Kalaran.

The classes are limited to Barbarian, Crusader, Elemental Adept (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311076), Ranger, Rogue, Swordsage, Scout, Warblade and NPC classes minus adept plus NPC only Druids(as great and rare guardians). Is there anything that would be sorely missing? Do you feel elemental adept would fill the arcane niche well enough or should I work in bards as a complement to mystic rangers?

The races I currently have limited to human PC only for simplicities sake(templates still applicable).

Spellcasting ideas not set on this world.
I was considering granting the effects of the spell fatigue flaw across the world. Or perhaps just throw on the Ravenloft Science delay of 1d4 rounds of recharge time for spellcasting making wands and reserve feats more used, lessening the potency of spells. I had another world that just made dead magic zones if you cast a spell greater than 4th, but eventually you can get around that so I just made this one E6 to limit access.

hemming
2014-03-06, 06:51 AM
Yup - I will never say no to "should I allow bards in my game"

It looks like a pretty good set-up to dial back the magic

But, the class limitations do seem pretty rough from a PC perspective - maybe you could check with players to see if there are any PrCs they really want that they will be cut off from accessing due to class restrictions before setting things in stone?

Komatik
2014-03-06, 07:12 AM
Knowing all of 4 invocations would probably cause me to revolt. The invocation list on the class is short enough you could just go Beguiler on it. Apart from that, no complaints.

Yogibear41
2014-03-06, 01:03 PM
Nothing wrong with regular wizards and sorcerers in e6 IMO, especially if you are going to allow mystic rangers.

Wild-shaping mystic ranger is basically the best class in an e6 game anyway.

Ruethgar
2014-03-06, 10:18 PM
How potent is a 1/day small/medium shift? It doesn't seem like much to me. A clever wizard or sorcerer can do a whole hell of a lot more damage than a mystic ranger with the shear volume of options available for those two classes(such as getting up to 9th level spells in E6, or up to 3rd level spells at will).

The world is fairly nature themed, hence the only casters being ranger and druid. I was initially apprehensive about bards because of their draconic ties which this world has very little of. But then I remembered the Fey option. Beguiler could work being tied in with sirens, nymphs and the like, but bard kind of also fills that role and has more options open to it for customization.

Besides race specific, what PrCs would be barred by this selection?

Yogibear41
2014-03-06, 11:47 PM
4th level spells don't exist to players in an e6 game period no matter what tricks they use. Also sword of the arcane order is a thing. I see how they can get 9th level spells, but how do they get 3rd levels at will?

Blightedmarsh
2014-03-07, 12:30 AM
What about incarnum magic? Binding spirits is all very fetishistic and naturalistic.

Ruethgar
2014-03-07, 08:28 AM
Sanctum Spell still functions so fourth level spells exist. And if you have a 9th level spell slot with everyone else at 3, you can apply other, more useful, metamagic much more freely. I haven't looked into it much, but circle magic may still be possible with enough cheese so I wouldn't discount the possibility of higher than third level spells. Also, White Dragonspawn Abomination with x7 sorcerer spell advancement from the templates for a total of casting as a level 13 sorcerer. Highly unlikely, but possible.

I wouldn't mind Sword of the Arcane Order because they have only one way to actually get wizard spells in a spellbook, Magical Training, so level 0 spells only. Dragon Sorcerer 3/Elemental Adept 1, gets 2nd level spells at will by converting SLA's into spell slots. Normally it would be a Dragonfire Adept for Endure Exposure and 3rd level spells.

I had forgotten about incarnum, thank you. It being a new world(literally less than a few hundred years old) I am not sure how potent the soul base from which to draw would be, but it does include natural beings so at the very least totemist should be an option.

Binders don't really have anything to bind yet. Truenamers... I don't think I would prohibit it if someone wanted to, especially considering the world was made by a truename spell, but why would you? I suppose there are some monk only things, but if I grant access to the Ultimate Feats book you should still be able to qualify for the most part if need be.