PDA

View Full Version : Duskblade Feats

yoshi67
2014-03-05, 11:03 PM
I'm creating a level 7 Human Duskblade for a Faerun campaign. The DM is not familiar with the PHII and the other characters are core classes (wizard, rogue/fighter, and cleric) so is allowing me to play one with all the spells and abilities as long as I only use feats the others have access to. This limits me to the PHB, Complete Warrior, Complete Arcane, and Faerun-related stuff. Not trying to optimize, just want some ideas for feats that work well in the books I have available.

gorfnab
2014-03-05, 11:22 PM
Duskblade Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=525.0)

Feats of note from your limited book selection:
Combat:
Power Attack, Arcane Strike, Combat Expertise, Improved Trip (using a Guisarme)

Familiar: (http://dictummortuum.blogspot.com/2011/08/familiars-handbook.html)
Obtain Familiar, Improved Familiar (Imp, Worg, Hell Hound, Air Elemental, Hippogriff, or Winter Wolf)

Falcon X
2014-03-06, 01:22 AM
Knowledge Devotion really made my Duskblade strong and flavorful when I played it. Duskblade is one of the few classes that has all knowledge skills as class skills. So, put those extra skill points to boost your BAB.

Improved Trip, Obtain Familiar, Arcane Strike, Power Attack, and Arcane Disciple are pretty standard Duskblade stuff too.

Now, if you were to optimize, you might use that High Strength, High Int thing to multiclass a little into Warblade or Factotum. Just a thought...

Note: Once you get Arcane Channeling (Full Attack), your spell hits every time your attack hits that round. So anything you can do to either increase numbers of hits, or the power of the spell, is power behind you. For example, my character:
- Was a Spellscale who meditated on Bahamut. Thus, three times a day, I could freely add 2d6 damage to the spell.
- I spammed trip attacks. My spell hit on the:
A. Trip attempt
B. Followup attack from Improved Trip
C. My Attack of Opportunity when he tries to stand up on his turn.

Bloodgruve
2014-03-06, 10:50 AM
Power Attack, Combat Expertise, Improved Trip, Exotic Weapon (Spiked Chain), Combat Reflexes with a decent Dex is what I would do. I run Human for the extra feat and skill point.

I'd suggest Knowledge Devotion, also, for its kool factor but it sounds like you're limited on feat resources. Which is a shame with all those Knowledges.

Blood~

Cog
2014-03-06, 10:58 AM
Note: Once you get Arcane Channeling (Full Attack), your spell hits every time your attack hits that round. So anything you can do to either increase numbers of hits, or the power of the spell, is power behind you. For example, my character:
- Was a Spellscale who meditated on Bahamut. Thus, three times a day, I could freely add 2d6 damage to the spell.
- I spammed trip attacks. My spell hit on the:
A. Trip attempt
B. Followup attack from Improved Trip
C. My Attack of Opportunity when he tries to stand up on his turn.
It applies to every attack, but only once per target. It's good for dealing with groups because you can hit all of them, and it's good for high-AC or miss chance using targets because you land the spell if any one of your attacks hits, but the combo you've got here doesn't work.

macdaddy
2014-03-06, 04:59 PM
Duskblade feats are REALLY simple through 9th level.

1. Power Attack
3. Knowledge Devotion
6. Obtain Familiar (can be moved to first level if human)
9. Arcane Strike

That leaves you an open feat if you are human. Possible suggestions are: Combat Reflexes, Versatile Caster, Improved Trip(wouldn't bother with this if you are taking the Winter Wolf for improved familair). Personally, I would lean towards versatile caster, I think it adds more flexibility and usage.

At 12th level there is the option of poison spell or improved familiar (imp can be fun). at 15th, take the other.

yoshi67
2014-03-07, 02:53 AM
Great, these give me some good ideas. I'll be playing as a Human, and got really good rolls (18,17,17,17,16,15). Skills won't be a huge issue with good INT.

I kinda want to take Exotic Weapon (Whip or Spiked Chain) or something to take advantage of reach to make attacking multiple enemies easier. I'll have Heavy Shield casting so it will be a back up to longsword/shield but looks like it could pair well with Combat Reflexes. Any thoughts?

I keep seeing Knowledge Devotion come up, but where is the description? Or can someone describe how it works? I've never heard of it until I started reading about Duskblades.

Xianth
2014-03-07, 03:11 AM
Great, these give me some good ideas. I'll be playing as a Human, and got really good rolls (18,17,17,17,16,15). Skills won't be a huge issue with good INT.

I kinda want to take Exotic Weapon (Whip or Spiked Chain) or something to take advantage of reach to make attacking multiple enemies easier. I'll have Heavy Shield casting so it will be a back up to longsword/shield but looks like it could pair well with Combat Reflexes. Any thoughts?

I keep seeing Knowledge Devotion come up, but where is the description? Or can someone describe how it works? I've never heard of it until I started reading about Duskblades.

Knowledge Devotion is from Complete Champion so it may not be available for you.

Basically you load up on Knowledge skills that let you identify creatures (PHB p.78 tells you what skills identify which monster types) . Then when you make a knowledge check on a monster you are fighting you get a bonus to your Attack rolls and Damage against that monster for the combat (+1 to +5) depending on how well you roll. This is especially awesome for Power Attack etc., and when you get all of the knowledge skills as class skills.

Thurbane
2014-03-07, 03:15 AM
If you want to expand your spell list, have a look at the Bloodline feats in Dragon Magazine Compendium. You'll get a bonus spell known for each spell level 1 through 6, often spells which wouldn't otherwise be on the Duskblade list.