PDA

View Full Version : Mindsight and Ethereal Creatures

Silva Stormrage
2014-03-06, 02:28 AM
Hey could I have a break down of why Mindsight doesn't effect Ethereal creatures? I need to convince a DM that it doesn't and while I remember reading arguments for it I can't seem to find any actual arguments for it other than people saying "It doesn't work" could someone give me a breakdown of why?

Zaydos
2014-03-06, 02:32 AM
Ethereal creatures are not on the same plane of existence as Prime Material ones. Except for Force effects which explicitly exist on both the Prime and Ethereal when generated on the Prime, ghosts (which are ethereal creatures intruding on the Prime), and spells affected by a specific metamagic feat nothing affects the other.

An ethereal creature can be seen by See Invisibility (specifically) and can see the Prime, but I don't even remember if they can hear the Prime.

Another way to put it is you are not within 100-ft of anything on the Ethereal when on the Prime, it's on another plane that happens to overlap.

Hope this helps some.

Urpriest
2014-03-06, 10:41 AM
Basically, if Mindsight worked on Ethereal creatures, it would also work on creatures in the Nine Hells. It's an entirely different plane, the whole concept of distance between is meaningless.

Psyren
2014-03-06, 10:46 AM
Basically, if Mindsight worked on Ethereal creatures, it would also work on creatures in the Nine Hells. It's an entirely different plane, the whole concept of distance between is meaningless.

While I agree with your underlying point, Baator isn't coexistent with the Prime so distance does actually have meaning.

fencepainter
2014-03-06, 11:37 AM
Ethereal creatures are not on the same plane of existence as Prime Material ones. Except for Force effects which explicitly exist on both the Prime and Ethereal when generated on the Prime, ghosts (which are ethereal creatures intruding on the Prime), and spells affected by a specific metamagic feat nothing affects the other.

An ethereal creature can be seen by See Invisibility (specifically) and can see the Prime, but I don't even remember if they can hear the Prime.

Another way to put it is you are not within 100-ft of anything on the Ethereal when on the Prime, it's on another plane that happens to overlap.

Hope this helps some.

I suppose that this would also mean that if you happened to be ethereal at the time, you would be able to use your mindsight abilities to get information about ethereal creatures, but not creatures on the Prime Material Plane. Would people rule similarly for Touchsight?

Segev
2014-03-06, 12:18 PM
I suppose that this would also mean that if you happened to be ethereal at the time, you would be able to use your mindsight abilities to get information about ethereal creatures, but not creatures on the Prime Material Plane. Would people rule similarly for Touchsight?

Absolutely.

Ethereal creatures are solid to each other.

Psyren
2014-03-06, 12:31 PM
Transdimensional Touchsight can pick up Ethereals.