PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Need help with character build Fighter/Favored Soul

dragoku
2014-03-06, 04:52 AM
Alright so heres the deal. I started a campaign with my friends recently and i kinda had an idea for my character and it didnt pan out how i wanted so i kinda scrapped it after 2 levels of fighter. Originally i was going to try and be a dervish but it took a lot and wouldnt end up playing how i wanted it to. At about the same time that i decided that build idea for my character isnt what i wanted anymore, my group added another player who would be taking on more of a tank role playing a barbarian.

I was the main "tank" up until that point and we had been playing a module in which the entire group had ended up taking WAY more damage than any of us expected. Our only healer character was the character our DM was running with us. So i decided to take on the role of healing and did some looking around and landed on favored soul as a healing class because i much prefered spontaneous casters to prepared and i was too dumb to find the "Spontaneous Divine Casters" ACF.

Now I also asked for some homebrewing on the class as a whole because i saw its obvious flaws so (with my DM's permission) i was given one domain without getting the perk that comes with it (just the list), and i also sacrificed the good fortitude save for the ability to turn/rebuke undead (mostly to give me access to divine feats that actually are ok).

So now i'm sitting here with this character:

Figher 2/Favored Soul 1
Draconic Lesser Tiefling
Lawful Evil
Deity: Bhaal (god of death, destruction, evil)
Domain: Death
STR: 19
DEX: 18
CON: 17
INT: 16
WIS: 12
CHA: 18

Feats: Draconic Wings (mostly for looks, eventual use if i want to spend the feat), Weapon Group (Exotic Swords) (i use a bastard sword), Power Attack, Cleave, and Versatile Spellcaster

Now since my deity's weapon is a dagger i'm going to be swapping the wep focus class features for the temp. hp ACF for Favored Soul.

But other than that i have no clue what to do with this character anymore so i need help with ideas. I'm fine moving to more of a caster role but I also wouldnt mind staying in the middle of fights (which is why i picked FS cause i heard they were good at it). I just leveled to level 4 so i need to figure this out.

P.S. I know all about DMM and persist cheese and i will probably end up heading in that direction for at least persisted Divine Power but i cant get a good character concept.

P.P.S I also looked at becoming a True Necromancer and it seemed really cool and fun but i determined i already had too many useless feats and wasted levels to make that effective.

P.P.P.S I forgot to mention my DM has only really said that Psionics are off-limits. Almost all other 3.5 books are open to be used.

Xerlith
2014-03-06, 08:23 AM
I would suggest dipping one level of Crusader, one level into Prestige Paladin of Tyranny, then going ten levels into Ruby Knight Vindicator. The Devoted Spirit maneuvers will provide in combat healing as well as damage so you can use your spells known on meaningful buffs and utility

dragoku
2014-03-06, 01:02 PM
I would suggest dipping one level of Crusader, one level into Prestige Paladin of Tyranny, then going ten levels into Ruby Knight Vindicator. The Devoted Spirit maneuvers will provide in combat healing as well as damage so you can use your spells known on meaningful buffs and utility

I'll check that out.... I'm not the greatest fan of tome of battle (mostly because keeping track of maneuvers can be a pain) but in general it interests me.

I have to ask is there a paladin of tyranny prestige or are you just talking about the ACF? Also if you are talking about the ACF why would I take a level in paladin?

Red Fel
2014-03-06, 01:11 PM
I'll check that out.... I'm not the greatest fan of tome of battle (mostly because keeping track of maneuvers can be a pain) but in general it interests me.

I have to ask is there a paladin of tyranny prestige or are you just talking about the ACF? Also if you are talking about the ACF why would I take a level in paladin?

Managing ToB maneuvers is much like managing spells, only generally easier. Particularly for Crusaders, since all you have to do is put your (mercifully limited) maneuvers on index cards, shuffle them, and draw one each combat round.

With regard to Prestige Paladin of Tyranny, I think Xer was talking about the Prestige Paladin (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/prestigiousCharacterClasses.htm#prestigePaladin) PrC, modified to use the Paladin of Tyranny (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#paladinofTyrannyClassF eatures) features. PrPal is generally considered very solid, because it gets all of your Cleric (or Favored Soul) goodies coming into it, adds Paladin spells to your existing list, and gives you Paladin features front-loaded. Thus, for example, if you need access to Turn Undead, PrPal 1 gives you that upfront. And since you're LE, it's pretty much assumed you'd go with the Paladin of Tyranny.

Transitioning from a PrPal into RKV is just the natural way of things, and really an awesome boost in power.

As an aside, I don't believe that any party needs a dedicated healer role. I also don't find that combat healing is a good use of anyone's time or spell slots. However, if you must have a single healer, and you must heal in combat, Devoted Spirit maneuvers are arguably the most efficient form of healing in the game. Infinitely reusable, reasonably effective, and they don't waste your turn because you use them while killing things.

dragoku
2014-03-06, 01:20 PM
Alright well I'm pretty sure my DM won't mind fudging the wee jas deity requirement for RKV but the requirements for me to get into prestige paladin seem a little much for what I would get (currently no mounted combat feat, and I don't have either knowledge required as class skills, also having to get circle of protection).

Any more suggestions? Just looking for variety.

Also I don't believe in the need for a combat healer necessarily but our party is in definite need of some healing ability at the least which is why I took it on.

Xerlith
2014-03-06, 03:31 PM
Thus, for example, if you need access to Turn Undead, PrPal 1 gives you that upfront. And since you're LE, it's pretty much assumed you'd go with the Paladin of Tyranny.

Transitioning from a PrPal into RKV is just the natural way of things, and really an awesome boost in power..

Actually, Prestige Paladin requires Turn Undead to enter. Something many people fail to notice. :smallbiggrin:

you are 3rd level now. Go FS at 4th and Crusader at 5th, it'll give you the Knowledge (religion) and Ride as class skills - take enough to qualify for Prestige Paladin - of which take two or three levels, then enter RKV. The build loses many spellcasting levels, but I take it your group's optimization level isn't particularily high.

Alternatively just straight ask your DM to rebuild your character as a Crusader1/Favored Soul2, then proceed to take 2 levels in FS, enter PRC Paladin (2 or 3 levels), then go Ruby Knight Vindicator. Those 2 fighter levels aren't really doing anything anyway.

Oh, also this article (https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cwc/20070227x) gives a FS Knowledge (Religion) as a class skill. Run it by your DM.

Nihilarian
2014-03-06, 03:40 PM
Actually, Prestige Paladin requires Turn Undead to enter. Something many people fail to notice. :smallbiggrin:

you are 3rd level now. Go FS at 4th and Crusader at 5th, it'll give you the Knowledge (religion) and Ride as class skills - take enough to qualify for Prestige Paladin - of which take two or three levels, then enter RKV. The build loses many spellcasting levels, but I take it your group's optimization level isn't particularily high.

Alternatively just straight ask your DM to rebuild your character as a Crusader1/Favored Soul2, then proceed to take 2 levels in FS, enter PRC Paladin (2 or 3 levels), then go Ruby Knight Vindicator. Those 2 fighter levels aren't really doing anything anyway.

Oh, also this article (https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cwc/20070227x) gives a FS Knowledge (Religion) as a class skill. Run it by your DM.How are you getting turn undead in order to qualify for prestige paladin?

cakellene
2014-03-06, 03:44 PM
How are you getting turn undead in order to qualify for prestige paladin?

He traded good fort save for it.

Nihilarian
2014-03-06, 03:58 PM
He traded good fort save for it.Ah, right, housrules.