PDA

View Full Version : The Hamlet (OOC Discussion)

Deadly
2007-02-01, 01:30 PM
This thread is for discussing The Hamlet (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33532). Any Hamlet related OOC talk goes here.

Kenyon
2007-02-01, 03:39 PM
Well, this sounds nifty. I like the idea of a (slightly) less wild-'n-crazy version of Town. But, with the requirements for character levels, does that mean events in the Hamlet are going to be more stat- and diceroll-based? Because my minimal experience with D&D would probably lead to a lot of frustration with everyone involved, if that's the case.

Lord Magtok
2007-02-01, 03:42 PM
Same here. And what if someone were to use a gun? Those are kinda expensive, would a pistol be too much?

Deadly
2007-02-01, 03:45 PM
I would prefer to keep it freeform as much as possible, but I'm not yet sure how it'll work out.

As for guns, how much would a typical one cost?

Kenyon
2007-02-01, 03:45 PM
We could always base it off the Dead-Eye's price chart. :smallbiggrin:

Anyways, it'd be good to know, because I'm running the idea of a nice, classic, sword-swinging, boot-to-the-face style fighter, but if I've got to start factoring what stats and feats and everything he's going to have, that's going to take a bit.

Deadly
2007-02-01, 03:56 PM
Aren't there official rules for firearms in the D&D books somewhere?

I would rather keep the rules strict now and loosen them up later than the other way around, since making the rules stricter later might cause trouble.

This means that it's probably a good idea to have full stats for your character. And straight fighters are probably the easiest to stat, as well as play.

Kenyon
2007-02-01, 03:59 PM
Yeah, easy for people who have the books for it. :smallwink:

*rummages around the intertubes for D&D rules*

Deadly
2007-02-01, 04:01 PM
The SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/) have all the basic rules

InaVegt
2007-02-01, 04:03 PM
The guns in D&D aren't very truthfull, and way to cheap to boot.

Sneak
2007-02-01, 04:07 PM
One question.

If this is some kind of DnD game, then why not make it in the PbP section instead of invading the town with it?

Flabbicus
2007-02-01, 04:11 PM
If I do decide to do this, which I might not due to the decreased amount of free time I will have soon and my general disillusionment, I will probably go with an evil Satyr-like thing. Think Bitey, but more malicious and charismatic. I will probably use some for or alteration of the Dromites.

Deadly
2007-02-01, 04:11 PM
Because I do not consider it a D&D Game. It is an attempt (and an experiment) to run the Town with some restrictions on characters. As mentioned, I would like to keep it as freeform and close to how the Town is run as possible.

Sneak
2007-02-01, 04:16 PM
Huh.

Well, I would join in, but I have absolutely no DnD knowledge. Oh well.

Deus Mortus
2007-02-01, 05:07 PM
Perhaps if this grows popular, it should have it's own part in the forums, like the town has...

Oh and I'm thinking up a character already ;)

Destro_Yersul
2007-02-01, 06:08 PM
I'm game. I think I'd run a rogue type guy. Knife thrower. I can have fun with that using two books and a low-ish character level.

Kyral
2007-02-01, 06:11 PM
This sounds really interesting; I'm definitely giving it a try.

Sneak
2007-02-01, 06:22 PM
Huh. Well...

Despite my nonexistent knowledge of DnD rules, I suppose I could play with some kind of mid level Expert character.

I had a concept inspired by Keaton that I wanted to try (hence the avatar), but I didn't think he would fit well in the town. Maybe this would be a good home for him...

Deus Mortus
2007-02-01, 06:25 PM
I'm thinking about a lvl 8 warblade, a young mercenary who has yet to see the horrors of battle.

Deadly
2007-02-01, 06:26 PM
I'm game. I think I'd run a rogue type guy. Knife thrower. I can have fun with that using two books and a low-ish character level.

Heh. Rogue 7 / Master Thrower 5 ?

Destro_Yersul
2007-02-01, 06:35 PM
No, just Rogue. I own three non core books, so I don't have a lot to work with.

Deadly
2007-02-01, 06:44 PM
Ah. I was considering the Rogue/Master Thrower combination myself at one point.

Lord Magtok
2007-02-01, 07:26 PM
I was hoping that I could have a Western gunslinger character, who happens to be a drunkard and a former bounty hunter. Being a drunkard might make up for his firearm usage.

Deadly
2007-02-01, 07:34 PM
I don't really mind the idea of firearms, I'm just unsure about the rules for them. But if you think you can justify your character, then go on and bring him in :)

Hoseki
2007-02-01, 07:34 PM
One nineth-level-ish paladin character comin' right up.

Lord Magtok
2007-02-01, 07:45 PM
Okay then. How about all of the space-time twisting in Town eventually caused an anomaly in RL, in the Wild West?

As a result, this poor sucker is suddenly warped out of Nevada, and dropped into the Hamlet with a gun in one hand, and a tequila in the other?

Deadly
2007-02-01, 07:48 PM
Sounds like fun :smallbiggrin:

Rebonack
2007-02-01, 08:51 PM
See, the nice thing about my RPing style is that my characters always.

Always scales to his or her environment. It just isn't any fun knocking the snot out of people effortlessly. I may toss Regiji in here, all be it in a (very) less combat focused frame.

GuesssWho
2007-02-02, 01:57 AM
I was hoping that I could have a Western gunslinger character, who happens to be a drunkard and a former bounty hunter. Being a drunkard might make up for his firearm usage.

Not exactly Roland Deschain, then?

Castaras
2007-02-02, 03:39 AM
Hmm...so it is ok to have characters with any classes below level 12...I'm game!

One Character coming up!

Lord Magtok
2007-02-02, 07:13 PM
Not exactly Roland Deschain, then?

More of a drunkard version of Red from Red Dead Revolver.

A Roland clone would be too mighty for this Hamlet.

Admiral One
2007-02-02, 07:39 PM
Hmm...maybe ill convert one of my town characters for this - a guy with dueling pistols (flintlocks) as his main feature.

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2007-02-08, 09:31 AM
is there an overabundance of fighters with a past they are ashamed of and desperately wish to shed themselves of? Because if not, then I'd love to be that fighter.

Trust me, the "tragic mistakes" of his past are probably not what you are thinking. He'd probably be 6th level.

AmberVael
2007-02-08, 09:38 AM
There is an overabundance of people not in the Hamlet. :smallwink:
I'm sure you could fill that spot, fighter or no fighter.

Now to those of you who are wondering just what in the hell my post in the Hamlet is...
I decided I liked the idea of Hamlet, but I already had too many characters. So instead of being a player, I am going to be a 'DM.'
As a DM I will have the same power as anyone else, I will just be using it for a different purpose. I'll making things like Rebonack's Creeping Caves, making temporary characters of interest (like a mad homicidal axe wielder or a group of way too rich merchants with no guards). So I'll just be providing things for the other characters to interact with rather than making my own character.

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2007-02-08, 09:46 AM
yay! give me a few days to acliment myself to the Hamlet and I'll introduce the lad.

TAKE THAT GM's of JOHNSON CITY! YOU CALLED ME MAD AND MY IDEA SILLY!! YOU SAID I'D NEVER BE ABLE TO PLAY HIM AS IS. I'LL SHOW YOU. I'LL SHOW YOU ALL!!!

(^ sounds great. Vael.)

Xaspian
2007-02-08, 04:38 PM
I'm very tempted to join. Mostly because in Town, my characters are just a couple out of many, and are unlikely to get noticed enough to do much interesting. But in the Hamlet, It should be easier to get involved in any action...

And besides, it's a great idea, anyway.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
EDIT:
So, I joined. But where can we do Character Profiles? Should we just lump them in with the Town profiles, or will there be a new thread?

Rebonack
2007-02-08, 04:46 PM
I just added the profile for Shidar in with Regiji and noted that he's from the Hamlet.

I have the uncanny feeling that this place might get its own sub-forum (sub-sub-forum?) if people like it enough.

Deadly
2007-02-08, 04:49 PM
I haven't really thought much about that. I guess the current character thread could be used, atleast until the Hamlet grows big enough to warrant a thread of it's own.

Xaspian
2007-02-14, 10:25 AM
How about Justice? The same laws as in Town? Do we use the same Courthouse and Judges, or will they need to be established seperately?

My opinions are that the same laws, but a new Courthouse and Judges. Although of course, someone needs to start a Prison of some sort...

Castaras
2007-02-14, 10:26 AM
I might be able to do a police force in the hamlet...I'll just need to introduce my other hamlet character then I'll form a police station with cells.

Xaspian
2007-02-21, 07:19 PM
I know that's it's still probably too early to think about it, but might there be a separate council for the Hamlet? Maybe not. It seems that the current council members are voted in as players, not characters, so that shouldn't change when we move into The Hamlet.
However, judges are characters, and so in a way tied to the Town. Any news/decisions on the Justice issue?

Deadly
2007-02-21, 07:24 PM
The Hamlet would probably need a sheriff or something, rather than an actual courthouse and prison. That's just my thought, though. No idea who it should be, right now I'm more concerned about kicking some more life into the Hamlet. I'll be focusing more on it once I get a few Town plots solved.

Xaspian
2007-02-21, 07:33 PM
Okay then. But when some kind of law is established, I'd like to report an attack, and injury to several characters.

Lord Magtok
2007-02-21, 08:30 PM
The Hamlet would probably need a sheriff or something, rather than an actual courthouse and prison.

A sheriff, you say?

'Joe' suddenly appears.

I'm up fer the job, magic-man. Say the word, an' those outlaws'll be filled wit' lead 'fore they even know what hit 'em.:smallbiggrin:

Deadly
2007-02-21, 08:41 PM
Sounds good to me :)

Lord Magtok
2007-02-21, 08:44 PM
Now I just need for him to come across the urge to do this. Maybe he'll talk to some NPCs about the law in the area, and feel he has to do something about the lawlessness of the Hamlet.

Alright, outlaws, there's a new sheriff in town...

Shadow
2007-02-22, 08:20 PM
This sounds interesting to me.
I'm going to see what kind of character I can think up while I'm at work tonight.
Then again, I never get any free time at work.... but I'll think of something and throw it in here.

I like that not everyone here is going to be all-powerful! I'm sure I'll kill quite a few characters off before long....

Rainspattered
2007-02-22, 10:56 PM
An undead musician with absolutely no combat ability other than an uncanny knack for not dying (again) when he should. Also, a partnership of a soft-spoken cowboy and a monk-type character, also from the old west (can anyone say Kung Fu reference?). They might know Joe, Magtok. The could've fallen through in the same reality warp, or something. I don't know. I'm still working out how they will work and act and whatnot.
None of them would really fit into stat sheets, I guess. Is it all right if we just trust they're in the right power and not horribly overequipped and don't go around statting everything out?

Goblin Music
2007-02-22, 11:06 PM
the stats for guns are in the DMG, i will add a Sword and Revolver PC if you want. ((i personaly have a char sheet for my townies.))

Lord Magtok
2007-02-23, 06:28 PM
Meh. I think freeforms should be without char. sheets. It makes people like me who don't know as much about DnD look like morons. Why do you think none of my characters are wizards like everyone else is?

PM me and we'll try to sort out the details, Rainspattered.

Deadly
2007-02-23, 07:31 PM
You don't need stats, although atleast some rough stats might be nice. As long as you believe your character to be within the limits, and can justify his/her/it's powers and equipment, then there should be no problem IMO.

I'm sure there are atleast a few in the Hamlet who don't have full stats. I have for both Schnick and Stick, but not yet for Nyalee (I'm lazy).

Deadly
2007-04-10, 10:58 AM
Anyone still interrested in the Hamlet? If yes, then any suggestions for kicking some life back into it? I still like my idea (I suppose I'd have to, though :smallbiggrin:) but it seems it's turned into a ghost town lately :(

Castaras
2007-04-10, 11:09 AM
If it gets more people to start it up again, then I'll come back with a new character...

But only if it gets more people.

Xaspian
2007-04-10, 12:40 PM
I'm still interested! I just haven't had time/inspiration to do a map of the chapel yet...

I would start up some kind of Lawhouse, but I've already got enough redundant characters for now. And it would mean that the first customer/client would probably be myself... Ah, well.

I'll try to get a bit more active...

Castaras
2007-04-10, 12:41 PM
My characters are lawful, so they could create the law in the hamlet. But it would be better if there were more than 3 people roleplaying in the hamlet...

Deadly
2007-04-10, 12:43 PM
I agree, 3 is a bit too few. Any ideas for how to attract more people?

Xaspian
2007-04-10, 12:46 PM
Free food?
Badges?

Hmmm...

Castaras
2007-04-10, 12:46 PM
Free beer. That'll get everyone coming.

Or free money.

McBish
2007-04-10, 12:47 PM
Maybe some sort of plot that will kick off the start of the Hamlet.

Deadly
2007-04-10, 12:47 PM
Heh :)

I was thinking a festival or something. But I like free beer, so maybe a "Free Beer Festival" :smallbiggrin:

Hmm... what kind of plot?

McBish
2007-04-10, 12:50 PM
I don't know for sure. Maybe something to do with the founding of the Hamlet. If there is a plot avaiable then I think more people might jump in. And once you start getting more people even more will join. I bet.

Xaspian
2007-04-10, 12:51 PM
The quest for a festival to celebrate?
A Questival?

I'm sorry...

Maybe a rival village, sending over their militia to burn Hamlet down, due to jealousy. That might encourage some kind of activity, and should also lead to a basic infrastructure being established (Goverment, Defense/law, supply shops...).

I dunno.

InaVegt
2007-04-10, 12:52 PM
Maybe a revolution, making the hamlet a democracy. We could start of by creating a constitution and then have elections.

Castaras
2007-04-10, 12:53 PM
Now I like Gezina's and Xaspian's ideas...

Maybe a revolution, and then a nearby village comes to attack...

Kyrian
2007-04-10, 12:53 PM
I've been thinking of joining...just need to get a good character for it.

Deadly
2007-04-10, 12:55 PM
Hmm... I like those ideas... could work

Kyrian: You don't normally seem to have a problem coming up with new characters ;)

Kyrian
2007-04-10, 12:56 PM
Yea, but a limited one...? :P

Deadly
2007-04-10, 12:56 PM
Ah... :smallbiggrin:

Kyrian
2007-04-10, 12:57 PM
I'm thinking I may be able to use Jess. I believe he's my least powered character. Or possibly bring Fenhai back....hm....

InaVegt
2007-04-10, 12:59 PM
Hey, Fenhai's technically mine. I gave you permission to use him in town, but if he's to be in the hamlet I'll play him.

Kyrian
2007-04-10, 12:59 PM
You dropped all of them. :P

Xaspian
2007-04-10, 01:09 PM
If there's an attempted invasion, Seran, at least, would try to establish a democracy as Gezina suggested. Other characters probably would, too. Anyone want to volunteer to be the attackers?

Deadly
2007-04-10, 01:11 PM
I would, if noone minds.

InaVegt
2007-04-10, 01:12 PM
Grik would probably try to launch a defense, yet not fight himself (he's a 1st level expert, after all)

Deadly
2007-04-10, 01:16 PM
Schnick would definatly help out with the defense. Stick would follow him just for the excitement. Stick would definatly work against any organised law and order.

Kyrian
2007-04-10, 01:18 PM
Jess would work against law.

InaVegt
2007-04-10, 01:20 PM
A place without law cannot exist for any long period of time, Jess should know that.