PDA

View Full Version : D20 Modern. Zombie apocolypse. Plot or no plot?

Jibar
2007-02-01, 01:39 PM
Due to the nature of where we all live, our highschool, and the people of said highschool, me and my players have not played for months.
So, as many people may know, I have a slight zombie fixation, so I thought when we finally get playing again, we'll run a Zombie Apocolypse game.
Now, two ways to play this strike me.

1. Straight forward survival. Outbreak of zombies has caused the world to go into outright panic, and the players are normal people (1st level) stuck in the danger zone. Their goal; survive. The game would have a minimum of plot, and focus more on the player's characters and just surviving. The quests would be simple, like securing supplies, weapons, rescuing people.

2. Plot driven survival. This would include having them as some sort of group trying to survive, but also with some sort of underlying plot. Something like some bioweapon out of control, demonic cult, that sort of thing. The quests would range from supplies, rescue, to infiltration of corporations, attacking of vital zombie hotspots, or stopping some military operation.

Talking with my players, they seem to be in favour of the first option. we've talked endlessly about what we'd do when Z-day comes, so now I'd let them try it out.

But what do you think? Which would be more fun to play, or experiment with?

pestilenceawaits
2007-02-01, 01:45 PM
I think it would be fun to play the survival style game but after awhile it would need to progress just to keep it interesting maybe the zombies are evolving somehow, they need to find out first how to protect themselves from them and then how to keep them from evolving again.

Rex Idiotarum
2007-02-01, 01:48 PM
I'm running two of these, One which had no plot, and it's dwindling because of it, the other with a plot that the players ignored. Just make something Sandbox, but with minor goals here and there, it seems to be the best.

DrummingDM
2007-02-01, 02:16 PM
My suggestion would be to let the players determine where the game progresses to - let them start as Joe Schmoe, caught in a zombie outbreak, and them level and discover/seek out survivors, provisions, etc. as they please.

But have a *reason* why zombie outbreak occured, and drop hints as to what that is, whatever you decide it to be. That way, if the players decide they want to uncover more/stem the tide of zombie hordes/whatever, they can do so. Or, if they choose to ignore the root cause of their situation, it at the very least provides some background flavor and fluff.

Dareon
2007-02-01, 02:33 PM
I concur with DrummingDM, you should at the very least have a cause of the zombie hordes in place, with maybe a skeletal timetable of activities for surviving groups.

For instance:
1 week after Z-Day: US Army finally falls, players may find heavy weaponry and other hardware abandoned at infested military bases. Higher-faculty zombies potentially commanding armies.
2 weeks after Z-Day: Secret Masters emerge. Nuclear weapon detonated in major city by survivalist group.

Naturally, those are just theoretical and assume the campaign's set in the US, because I'm a filthy Yankee. :D But the cause will help, at least in letting you determine why the PCs weren't affected, what other groups might not be affected, and how fast the outbreak spreads.

Were-Sandwich
2007-02-01, 02:36 PM
Maybe have the zombies evolve every so often, making there latest win-button useless, keeping them on their toes.

And make sure they have cricket bats. Lots and lots of cricket bats.

Thomas
2007-02-01, 02:37 PM
Some sort of a plot is a necessity.

Take a day or two to read Stephen King's Cell. They're not exactly zombies, but they're great. It's bound to give you ideas.

Were-Sandwich
2007-02-01, 02:39 PM
Thermobaric warheads are great for zombie-clearing. You just find something that attracts them, lure them all into one area, then psssht-fwip-booooooooom.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-02-01, 02:45 PM
I would say plot but I can't imagine a campaign without one so my advice may not be very good.

I would recomend using 3.5 zombies rather than the ones in the d20 modern book. Damage Reduction 5/slashing represents things quite well without having to invent stupid headshot rules. Just houserule that Shotguns can bypass zombie damage reduction as though they were slashing and Ash starts to make sense as a character build.

Were-Sandwich
2007-02-01, 03:13 PM
For the headshot thing, how about: Zombies have Regeneration, even though undead normally can't. However, a confirmed crit (headshot) bypasses regen and may deal extra damage as normal.

Mewtarthio
2007-02-01, 03:21 PM
For the headshot thing, how about: Zombies have Regeneration, even though undead normally can't. However, a confirmed crit (headshot) bypasses regen and may deal extra damage as normal.

Give them Fast Healing instead. Undead can have that (eg Vampires). Regeneration won't work because undead are immune to nonlethal damage. Alternatively, change their type to "Humanoid (zombie)" and give them various undead immunities but nothing against nonlethal.

Were-Sandwich
2007-02-01, 03:53 PM
No, regen. That way they can only be killed by crits (heashots). You can keep them back and down, but not permanently. Kinda like that Andromeda episode "Dance of the Mayflies"

Matthew
2007-02-01, 04:41 PM
Keep the cause of the outbreak hidden and gradually reveal it as the campaign moves along. That way the players might even become interested in the potential plot.

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2007-02-01, 06:43 PM
I actually have 2 zombie style games floating around in my head. 1) RE. i am a hugh RE fan and I'm slowing working on a game that would be true to the series and it's plot. But I don't see myself doing that one here on the boards. That and it's a long way from being done. The second one is inspiration from the board game Zombies!!!!. It would basically be a pretty tongue in cheek kinda game modeled after B zombie movies. The city would be formed by me placing the squares from the game down like you're going to play the game, and that would be my map for the RPG.

Yakk
2007-02-01, 07:25 PM
Evil: Don't grant extra HD as you gain levels.

Makes every zombie dangerous. *evil*

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-02-01, 07:50 PM
Plot? There ain't no plot! They ZOMBIES, sucka! They gonna eat yo' brains!

Ahem.

As with most games, try to let your players lead the game's direction through their actions. The plot ought to manifest itself.

Woot Spitum
2007-02-01, 08:56 PM
Personally, I think that there should be many types of zombies, with different strengths and weaknesses. If the only way to defeat them is to run, then the setting may get old after a session or two. Worse yet, if the zombies are practically invincible, then the party may end up running from the same handful of zombies the whole time. I think the whole fear mentality from the zombies should not be from the fact that they're unkillable, but from the fact that there is a seemingly limitless amount of them. That and the fact that just when the party thinks they have the killing the zombies drill down to an art, suddenly they are confronted by a new type of zombie, against which all their previous tactics are ineffective.

Umbral_Arcanist
2007-02-01, 09:05 PM
I'd start with one and, when that becomes too easy/boring/gone on long enough/the players least expect it start dropping hints about a source of the infection, i'd pick a demonic cult, and the PCs can (if they desire) join with or destroy the cult

Jarlax
2007-02-02, 12:13 AM
i would run both, at first the missions should be simple gathering and survival goals. but once the players master their enviroment with a reinforced home base, surplus stocks of supplies from numerous missions etc. you need to move them out of that comfort zone with a deeper plot otherwise it will get tired and repeditive. it doesnt need to be too much, maybe they hear of plans to evacuate the survivors on the far side of town. so now the players need to make it across the city filled with hostiles with only as many supplies as they can carry.

General Leitmann
2007-02-02, 12:17 AM
I think this sort of game would need the background info and cause to keep the players hooked at later stages. Sure securing stuff and weapons to survive the Zombapocalypse is fun, but there's going to be someone who wants to at least know why they're fending themselves against the reanimated dead. Just kinda goes with the territory, IMO.

Now, I found, from playing zombie-associated games in the past, that the best and usually the most fun way to play this kinda game is set up the sessions to represent a certain amount of in-game time. Like one session equals 2-8 hours, and have say 6 or so gaming sessions that represent an amount of time in the game's 'life'. In that time certain things happen, like having to secure the most basic of needs, such as rations and the like. The zombies in the earlier sessions wouldn't be that decayed, and would be able to find food rather easily away from the players, so zombie related incidents won't be that brutal or frequent.

Then in later sessions, as the need for more elaborate things say fortification supplies, ammo, weapons and more long term food stocks becomes more evident, the zombies will be far more decayed and will be running out of non-zombies to eat, so the attacks and such would be far more intense and violent, the zombies now becoming more desperate for food, and the food becoming scarce. Of course the game can be far more elaborated from there, possibly even the players searching for the cause amidst all the chaos and that could really make for an interesting game.

Just my two (or seventy-five) cents.

- the General

Jothki
2007-02-02, 01:13 AM
Then in later sessions, as the need for more elaborate things say fortification supplies, ammo, weapons and more long term food stocks becomes more evident, the zombies will be far more decayed and will be running out of non-zombies to eat, so the attacks and such would be far more intense and violent, the zombies now becoming more desperate for food, and the food becoming scarce. Of course the game can be far more elaborated from there, possibly even the players searching for the cause amidst all the chaos and that could really make for an interesting game.

That's an interesting idea, if you want to make the zombies more animalistic then the standard "...brains" type. You might be able to divert a horde by throwing some food at them, and if you can secure a reliable food source, you might actually be able to tame some of them. It'd be interesting to see if players could figure this out on their own.

FreakyM
2007-02-02, 05:40 AM
In case you need reference material, the Resident Evil games (forget the awful movies!) offer a very good universe to set a Zombie game in. I myself currently run a campaign taking place smack in the middle of RE3.

General Leitmann
2007-02-02, 10:49 AM
That's an interesting idea, if you want to make the zombies more animalistic then the standard "...brains" type. You might be able to divert a horde by throwing some food at them, and if you can secure a reliable food source, you might actually be able to tame some of them. It'd be interesting to see if players could figure this out on their own.

I didn't mean it at all like that, lol. Zombies, as we know from all movies, have only one need, and that is the need to feed, *dun-dun-duh* and so as they become more and more scarce for food, they will all flock around the areas with the last bit left. In my opinion, you can't tame a zombie because you can't train it. It only wants food, and if you've not fed it yet and it's hungry (which is the case ALL the time, lol) it'll eat you.

Jibar
2007-02-02, 11:33 AM
Right, here's the idea I've got so far then;

Background; The virus is an accidental creation from biowarefare experimentation. It resulted in an outbreak wiping out a small town when the weapon was tested out in the desert. The scientists sold it to Maximillion Corporation, who then started selling it on the Black Market to terrorists. Small, controlled outbreaks in the MIddle East and Africa have remained un-noticed.
While trying to smuggle a sample into England ready for an attack, one terrorist was shot dead, the sample falling to the Police, who opened it, and released the contents (a puppy with the infection). While the infection doesn't affect animals, the puppy did bite one officer, who caught the disease.
The disease then spread out slowly. Infections last 3 days, then the victim succumbs, and dies, rising as a zombie. Any death causes the victim to rise. An increae in missing persons, but it was still under the radar. However, it has spread into Norfolk (home county), and has now infected a few people in one high school. The player's.

Game beginning; regular day. A couple people missing from school (they always play themselves in Modern), but nothing to arouse suspicion. during lesson, the teacher suddenly starts coughing and vomiting until he collapses. Two more people in the room then follow. They get up, as zombies, and begin attacking people. Four more people are killed and rise. Now, the players have to fight through.

Next; The player's are presented with two options.
1. Escape from the school.
2. Find some defense.
If they choose the first, they will travel through the school, and find that a lot of people have already been turned. They then arrive onto the school field.
If they choose the second, they will explore the school, killing zombies, until they find the PE area, and take some sports equipment for weapons. They may also go to the Food Tech area and get some knives. A large number of zombies then chases them onto the field.
On the field, they have to cut their way through a zombie rugby team, and escape through the gate on the otherside.

Later; This is where the entire game becomes theirs. The players can either go hunting, try rescuing people, gather supplies, the world is their oyster, as long as they don't die.
After three days, they will find out by some means (TV, random survivor, maybe even see it first hand), that three bombs have exploded in every major city in the Western world. These bombs released the virus into the air, infecting cities.
After five days, it will be reported that every army installation in England has been hit by the bombs.
After eight days, it will be reported that all contact with the outside world has been lost.

If the players are infected; I will introduce a Maximillion Scientist. He's developed a way to stave off the zombie virus, lengthening their time to 15 days instead of 3. It now turns out that in Manchester, there is a Maximillion Centre, where cures can be found that are dished out to the Maximillion Executives.

And that's about it so far.
What do ya think?

Thomas
2007-02-02, 11:37 AM
Not very fancy, but having just read Cell, I guess I'm comparing your ability as a writer to Stephen King... not exactly fair.

It looks quite feasible; straightforward zombie stuff.

For versimilitude, though... how do the news keep coming when every major city is infected? I'd think most people working the TV stations and news would be dead or in hiding from zombies pretty fast.

Jibar
2007-02-02, 11:42 AM

Now, see, my players aren't smart enough to ask that question.

I hope...

Rex Idiotarum
2007-02-02, 11:48 AM
Hm...You're having them stuck at a school...Sounds like my campaign. I recommend, If you're going for horror, don't give them weapons, and there will be alot of Zombies outside, so they will have to find a way arround that. What makes 1 Zombie Fearsome at any weapon, trying to take it on bear-handed with your teammates standing arround commenting on how that's not a good Idea.

Next thing, have you seen Wheathermen in Hurricanes, or Reporters in the Middle East with bombs going off behind them? They don't avoid anything that will give ratings.

Were-Sandwich
2007-02-02, 11:49 AM
Nice to see something happening in Britain for a change. If you believed the media, all major alien, supernatural and just damn wierd attacks happen in America.

Hmmm. If I were in that situation, I'd drive round to my grandparents, pick them up, then fortify my house (its more easily defensible than theirs). If I have the chance, make a run for the Army Barracks nearby, and grab some gear. Like tanks. Lets see the zombies stop that.

Thats a point. Maybe other places would be better to fortify. In the dream I had about Z-day, we fortified the Quaker church across the road. It fell quickly. Its the massive glass windows that take up whole exterior walls.

Jibar
2007-02-02, 11:57 AM
We've already been talking about Z-Day.
They've already worked how methods of escaping from every classroom.
They will always have a weapon in every room they go to.
When we start this campaign, it will be the single greatest use of improvised weapons ever.

WampaX
2007-02-02, 12:01 PM

Now, see, my players aren't smart enough to ask that question.

I hope...

Jibar, read World War Z and glean some ideas.

As per this specific quandry, you've got Pirate Radio (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirate_radio) as a valid reason people are still getting news updates.

Yakk
2007-02-02, 12:05 PM
While it isn't a zombie movie, if you want to understand how bad it will get when people start killing each other about food, pick up SM Stirling's "Dies the Fire".

I'd expect pockets of military/government to fortity some of the islands off the coast. With enough ammo and manpower, you could build a lit killing zone that surrounds a fortress in the middle. Add a transmitter...

They wouldn't tell anyone where they are -- they cannot afford to let more people in, given their food supplies, and they can't afford to let down their guard and let humans through their perimiter. So they just broadcast information.

Another neat idea would be shortwave radios. That would provide a nice "underground" rumour-ish source of information.

General_Ghoul
2007-02-02, 12:54 PM
Another non-zombie movie for plot hooks is Red Dawn. High schoolers fight off a Russian/Cuban invasion with their wits, prayers, and stolen armament.

Piedmon_Sama
2007-02-02, 02:38 PM
I'd definitely go with the first option. The name of the game is survival. The players will never be able to hold out in any one place forever--law of averages says you can't keep Zombies at bay for eternity. If nothing else, they'll eventually pile up so thick that they'll just go right over whatever barricades you erect. Therefore there's really no way to "win." And frankly, if you're going for a full-blown Zombie apocalypse, there shouldn't be a way for the humans to win. How we deal with the inevitability of death is one of the central themes of the Zombie genre, after all.

Plus it would just seem cheesy to me if the players were 4-5 random joes who just happened to be able to figure out what started the Zombies and how to stop it. Maybe it originated out of space, the depths of hell, or some government laboratory--point is, four random civilians in a random American city will never be in the right place or time to stop whatever caused the invasion. Besides, even if they could, it would already be too late--too many zombies already made, too few humans left.

Of course, I'm talking about a worldwide Apocalypse. If you were thinking more of a localized invasion, like what happened to Raccoon City in RE, that's a different story....

Were-Sandwich
2007-02-02, 02:46 PM
Maybe it originated out of space, the depths of hell, or some government laboratory--point is, four random civilians in a random American city will never be in the right place or time to stop whatever caused the invasion.
But they're four random British Joes from a random British city. It makes all the difference.

Jibar
2007-02-02, 02:52 PM
Four random British Joes, from a random British city, with years of video games and death defying experiences beneath their belts, and who have also worked out how to effectivly survive in the middle of their school, no matter what lesson, area, or situation.
I swear to you, the Rapture could happen, and these guys would stop it.
Putting them into D20 Modern, where they become even more powerful...
It doesn't bear thinking of.

Were-Sandwich
2007-02-02, 02:56 PM
Hollow Points would be pretty effective against Zombies. Get something reasonably accurate, that can switch between semi and fully automatic fire, like a P90, and load it up with hollow points. With a silencer, obviously. For normal use, single shots, to the head, with the scope. When you need to clear a corridor or something, full auto, at head height, short burst. Should take enough out to allow you to pick off any survivors.

Piedmon_Sama
2007-02-02, 03:01 PM
Oh, it's that kind of Zombie Apocalypse. =p