PDA

View Full Version : Help with: My DM is a douche

UnoriginalGamer
2014-03-06, 11:11 AM
Okay not necesarily a douche per-say BUT, there was a "Trap" in the last session of a magic item (We were looting) and I was running Appraise checks on all of them (We run 3.5) However when I got to a clear sphere and started an appraise I got sucked inside. He told us (After a Use Magic Device check) and said that the sphere "Was meant to go inside of a death machine and use the life force of the person inside of it to fire it". After this he has given me the information that the item is somewhere from 1st edition or 2nd edition. Can anyone tell me ANYTHING about this? I have no ideas at all so far.

aleucard
2014-03-06, 08:22 PM
If your DM is basically benching your character (if he suggests you roll a new one, especially), then there are serious issues at hand outside of his pulling something from 1-2 generations ago. If there isn't anything specifically wrong with either your character or you from their perspective, then ask the DM if he wants you to continue playing with the group. This sort of bull**** is a pretty big hint.

Phelix-Mu
2014-03-06, 08:25 PM
Is your character stuck there? Dead? Do you need advice on getting out, or just on dealing with a DM that sucks pcs into death traps?

It certainly sounds reminiscent of an older school of DMing, in which players experienced much larger amounts of character turnover.

MadGreenSon
2014-03-06, 08:42 PM
That's extreme old school DMing right there. It's why characters I play still sort loot with tongs.

The only artifact fuel that it sounds remotely like to me is the...Planar Spanner? I think it was called something like that, but it was a Ravenloft thing meant to get a Night Hag out of the demiplane, not a death machine.

UnoriginalGamer
2014-03-06, 08:44 PM
If your DM is basically benching your character (if he suggests you roll a new one, especially), then there are serious issues at hand outside of his pulling something from 1-2 generations ago. If there isn't anything specifically wrong with either your character or you from their perspective, then ask the DM if he wants you to continue playing with the group. This sort of bull**** is a pretty big hint.

Well no it's not that! He helped me make the character and I'm actually playing the antagonist. He said to see what I can do inside of the sphere. So far I can fly from my armor (Armor of the celestial battalion switched slightly to evil). And he has been hyped up with me for creating a character for the next dungeon.

Also you can leave via Wish or Miracle and he said that it might've been from dragon magazine

MadGreenSon
2014-03-06, 08:53 PM
Well no it's not that! He helped me make the character and I'm actually playing the antagonist. He said to see what I can do inside of the sphere. So far I can fly from my armor (Armor of the celestial battalion switched slightly to evil). And he has been hyped up with me for creating a character for the next dungeon.

Also you can leave via Wish or Miracle and he said that it might've been from dragon magazine

You've been turned into a flying sphere? Ever seen the Phantasm movies? You might be able to work with this...:smallbiggrin:

Immabozo
2014-03-06, 08:58 PM
A good swift kick in the nuts usually procures DM compliance. Or maybe it's complaints? Anyway, it'll help with something.

Zweisteine
2014-03-06, 08:58 PM
If you could cast spells before, can you still? That's all that matters now, if you're a wizard.

Actually, this is great if you're a wizard and it doesn't stop you casting spells or using magic items (try sending magic items in with you).

UnoriginalGamer
2014-03-06, 09:04 PM
If you could cast spells before, can you still? That's all that matters now, if you're a wizard.

Actually, this is great if you're a wizard and it doesn't stop you casting spells or using magic items (try sending magic items in with you).

ONE PROBLEM HERE! I'm a swordsage v.v It was a magic item letting me fly

MadGreenSon
2014-03-06, 09:10 PM

Can you get a blade attached to the sphere?

If so, plan Phantasm could still be good.

UnoriginalGamer
2014-03-06, 09:11 PM
Can you get a blade attached to the sphere?

If so, plan Phantasm could still be good.

Ok someone tell me what the Phantasm thing is?

Yogibear41
2014-03-06, 09:15 PM
Your DMs not a douche, he just wants you to think of a creative way to get out, or maybe for your party members to think of a way to get you out.

UnoriginalGamer
2014-03-06, 09:16 PM
Your DMs not a douche, he just wants you to think of a creative way to get out.

Legitimately he told me this out of game (And he doesn't lie to me, he's told me the entire campaign for what I've asked) That the only way out is a wish or a miracle. And I can't wish myself out.

Yogibear41
2014-03-06, 09:17 PM
What level are you? What level is your party? What is your party make up?

MadGreenSon
2014-03-06, 09:17 PM
Legitimately he told me this out of game (And he doesn't lie to me, he's told me the entire campaign for what I've asked) That the only way out is a wish or a miracle. And I can't wish myself out.

Ok This is plan Phantasm, demonstrated by a Youtube clip found here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08kyNhk48Ig)

UnoriginalGamer
2014-03-06, 09:18 PM
What level are you? What level is your party?

Level 16 Swordsage Brood-spawn Goliath.

Everyone else is around Level 15. I got the extra level from a sidequest I did alone

Hiro Protagonest
2014-03-06, 09:18 PM

Obviously he wants you to cheat. Try spiking his drink with acid. :smalltongue:

UnoriginalGamer
2014-03-06, 09:19 PM
Obviously he wants you to cheat. Try spiking his drink with acid. :smalltongue:

Tempting....

Yogibear41
2014-03-06, 09:20 PM
Do you have the death machine? How does it work? Do you have anyway to communicate with the outside group?

Phelix-Mu
2014-03-06, 09:22 PM
Well no it's not that! He helped me make the character and I'm actually playing the antagonist.

Well, that right there sounds like a lot of the problem. If you are the antagonist, and the DM's job is to structure the plot so that the protagonists and antagonist clash in certain ways, at certain times, and over certain things, then I think it's probably inevitable that you and the DM step all over each other's toes.

UnoriginalGamer
2014-03-06, 09:23 PM
Do you have the death machine? How does it work? Do you have anyway to communicate with the outside group?

I can hear everything outside and reply back. We have no idea where the death machine is and it wasn't originally in the campaign... And this phantasm idea is good...

UnoriginalGamer
2014-03-06, 09:24 PM
Well, that right there sounds like a lot of the problem. If you are the antagonist, and the DM's job is to structure the plot so that the protagonists and antagonist clash in certain ways, at certain times, and over certain things, then I think it's probably inevitable that you and the DM step all over each other's toes.

No he has told me exactly what to do when and I've been working WITH the group until I believe the next session is when I'm supposed to go bad on them.

Phelix-Mu
2014-03-06, 09:31 PM
Well, if you are the bad guy trapped in a sphere, the best thing to do is pretend you are a good guy and get someone to let you out (how Jafar!). But, since you already are pretending to be a good guy, then I'm not sure you should do much.

Maybe make up some elaborate lie to the rest of the party about how the sphere is gradually sucking your life away, and they have to send all their loot to your bank account or do whatever it is that suits your evil character's diabolical plan. If they are your friends, they probably will try to help you out, and since they can't really tell what is going on, you get a big advantage on pulling some kind of con/manipulation.

UnoriginalGamer
2014-03-06, 09:34 PM
Well, if you are the bad guy trapped in a sphere, the best thing to do is pretend you are a good guy and get someone to let you out (how Jafar!). But, since you already are pretending to be a good guy, then I'm not sure you should do much.

Maybe make up some elaborate lie to the rest of the party about how the sphere is gradually sucking your life away, and they have to send all their loot to your bank account or do whatever it is that suits your evil character's diabolical plan. If they are your friends, they probably will try to help you out, and since they can't really tell what is going on, you get a big advantage on pulling some kind of con/manipulation.

If you've ever heard of the Elder Evil: Father Lymmic? Yeah I was under his control (AKA: the DM) and caused a cave in while being forced to become a Brood Spawn. So they don't trust me (Also a silver dragon said I have an evil aura) so right now their characters are still wary of me. Maybe if I racked up enough circumstancial bonuses but right now I'm scared of the giant cadaver collecter (Used to be warforged)

Yogibear41
2014-03-06, 09:34 PM
Trick them into summoning a devil, making a pact to sell their souls to get you out.

MadGreenSon
2014-03-06, 09:37 PM
And this phantasm idea is good...

Yes it is! You'll be the ultimate swordsage! Free of the restrictions of crude flesh! Just you, your blades and your art.

You know you want to do it.

Phelix-Mu
2014-03-06, 09:37 PM
If you've ever heard of the Elder Evil: Father Lymmic? Yeah I was under his control (AKA: the DM) and caused a cave in while being forced to become a Brood Spawn. So they don't trust me (Also a silver dragon said I have an evil aura) so right now their characters are still wary of me. Maybe if I racked up enough circumstancial bonuses but right now I'm scared of the giant cadaver collecter (Used to be warforged)

Convince them that the sphere is a form of sanctify the wicked, and all the evil is being purged from your soul.

Yogibear41
2014-03-06, 09:39 PM
Roll a Know:Planes, roll good, Tell them to say Pazuzu 3 times.

MadGreenSon
Convince them that the sphere is a form of sanctify the wicked, and all the evil is being purged from your soul.

And in the meantime you'll sanctify some wicked yourself, with your blades!

UnoriginalGamer

This... Would be amazing 0.0 But the warforged (Artificier) did a use magic device check and that's how I have the death machine information is from that check.

Gavinfoxx
2014-03-06, 09:40 PM
You are ECL, what, 18? Get powerful people to Wish you out or buy a lawful evil candle of invocation or whatever. You should have had access to Wish for the last three levels...

UnoriginalGamer
2014-03-06, 09:43 PM
You are ECL, what, 18? Get powerful people to Wish you out or buy a lawful evil candle of invocation or whatever. You should have had access to Wish for the last three levels...

As I said they don't trust me. There is one with a ring of three wishes and then also our wizards. But they don't feel like wasting a wish on me and I can't wish myself out.

Captnq
2014-03-06, 09:45 PM
I'm with the DM on this one. Why?

Because I only DM and never get to play. Gotta show solidarity with my fellow DMs. Sort of like you shouldn't cross a picket line.

I ain't no scab.

UnoriginalGamer
2014-03-06, 09:48 PM
I'm with the DM on this one. Why?

Because I only DM and never get to play. Gotta show solidarity with my fellow DMs. Sort of like you shouldn't cross a picket line.

I ain't no scab.

Recent development. The DM's Girlfriend (Yeah he had me show him the thread XD) Agrees to let me out (She has the ring). BUT she wants a trade of magic items (I'm rich as **** right now sporting a good 2997000000 gold from a dragon kill) Agree or should I go with other options... Or even the phantasm 0x0

Gavinfoxx
2014-03-06, 09:48 PM
If you are the bad guy, your henchman gets a lawful evil candle of invocation, and gets an Efreet to Wish you out...

Also, it's near impossible to spend that much gold in this game.

Just saying.

You could buy all the magic items with that. Just buy her a Ring of Wish at list price.

Phelix-Mu
2014-03-06, 09:52 PM
Well, the DM did hint that you should experiment. Here is a list of what I would try if I were sucked into an inanimate object:

1.) Is there an interior to the sphere? Or is the sphere now your "body?"

2.) Can you sleep?

3.) Do you need to breathe?

4.) Can you harm yourself, or is the sphere indestructible? Try flying the sphere into a wall.

5.) Can you damage people by attacking them in sphere form?

6.) Can you see? How about other senses like touch and so forth?

7.) Can the sphere be targeted with buffs and such, and, if so, do they affect you?

Otherwise, maybe convince the party that, at some point, you discovered where the death machine is located, and that they should follow you if they want to save the world. Even if they don't trust you, if they are good, they pretty much have to follow just in case you are telling the truth.

UnoriginalGamer
2014-03-06, 09:52 PM
If you are the bad guy, your henchman gets a lawful evil candle of invocation, and gets an Efreet to Wish you out...

Also, it's near impossible to spend that much gold in this game.

Just saying.

You could buy all the magic items with that. Just buy her a Ring of Wish at list price.

I am the henchman of the main bad guy. Father Lymmic. Elder Evil.

Gavinfoxx
2014-03-06, 09:53 PM
I am the henchman of the main bad guy. Father Lymmic. Elder Evil.

Now get YOUR second in command to Wish you out, then! With that much wealth, you have to have an organization... RIGHT?

UnoriginalGamer
2014-03-06, 09:54 PM
Now get YOUR second in command to Wish you out, then! With that much wealth, you have to have an organization... RIGHT?

.... *Whistles innocentally while rolling a 1 on bluff* Tooooootally!

Gavinfoxx
2014-03-06, 09:56 PM
You don't have a group of people to carry your, you know, bags of holding full of gems? Whyever not? How come you don't have assistants?!

You have more wealth the the GDP of several nations! How come no one has come to you trying to bum off of you?!

UnoriginalGamer
2014-03-06, 09:57 PM
You don't have a group of people to carry your, you know, bags of holding full of gems? Whyever not? How come you don't have assistants?!

Cause I ended up disappearing for a majority of the campaign and was found in a horrible condition at the silver dragons lair. The Brood conversion is meant to be done in a week and was done in a hour or so for me. So there were some drawbacks

UnoriginalGamer
2014-03-06, 10:04 PM
Well, the DM did hint that you should experiment. Here is a list of what I would try if I were sucked into an inanimate object:

1.) Is there an interior to the sphere? Or is the sphere now your "body?"

2.) Can you sleep?

3.) Do you need to breathe?

4.) Can you harm yourself, or is the sphere indestructible? Try flying the sphere into a wall.

5.) Can you damage people by attacking them in sphere form?

6.) Can you see? How about other senses like touch and so forth?

7.) Can the sphere be targeted with buffs and such, and, if so, do they affect you?

Otherwise, maybe convince the party that, at some point, you discovered where the death machine is located, and that they should follow you if they want to save the world. Even if they don't trust you, if they are good, they pretty much have to follow just in case you are telling the truth.

Okay

1) I'm inside the sphere... He said it's "Like a Pokeball"

2) I think I could? I never tried cause my character doesn't need to

3) I don't think air is a problem. If so I would've suffocated a while ago. I believe it would draw air from outside if anything but that'd have to be submerging me in water to test

4) He keeps scaring me with it might break (Such as when I tested flying) HOWEVER! He hinted at it once that "You just seem scared that it will break. You have no idea if it will" and then that "You only know that it is made out of glass. You have no Idea if it'll break" So I've been careful

5) He said (When we were discussing) that I can do a slam attack for melee attacks, that comes out as 1 damage for me.

6) I can see and hear. No taste smell or touch.

7) I don't know. I don't think so. I do know that we don't have a bard or anything and my group has always just worked around smacking the things to death.

Immabozo
2014-03-06, 10:07 PM
Recent development. The DM's Girlfriend (Yeah he had me show him the thread XD) Agrees to let me out (She has the ring). BUT she wants a trade of magic items (I'm rich as **** right now sporting a good 2997000000 gold from a dragon kill) Agree or should I go with other options... Or even the phantasm 0x0

I wanna know how he liked my swift kick in the nuts suggestion

Windstorm
2014-03-06, 10:18 PM
Hand him your character sheet, kick him in the balls, and then make a backup character and play that. if you play at all.

situations like this where all of your agency as a player is gone is a terrible thing for a DM to do (unless character removal is a goal by request or for a very specific reason)

what he has done here is basically put you in a situation with no good option and is letting you be held hostage by your own fellow party members. it doesn't matter if you're the antagonist, that isn't right or fair unless you've been completely outed.

having a player be the antagonist to begin with is a damn fool idea as well.

UnoriginalGamer
2014-03-06, 10:23 PM
Hand him your character sheet, kick him in the balls, and then make a backup character and play that. if you play at all.

situations like this where all of your agency as a player is gone is a terrible thing for a DM to do (unless character removal is a goal by request or for a very specific reason)

what he has done here is basically put you in a situation with no good option and is letting you be held hostage by your own fellow party members. it doesn't matter if you're the antagonist, that isn't right or fair.

Okay what he said is. "Lol yea BTW I want you to stay but I'm trying to cause more creativity and social building and role play" And knowing our group I can understand why he did this. I'll be the first to admit That I'm one of the better roleplayers and, overall better players in our group. I will admit defeat to a few but still. Lets stop with what we were doing and look for ways to turn this around into something that will make it so that it promotes Roleplaying... so like... The PHANTASM IDEA! (Except I can't actually attach the swords or whatever) so stuff like that where I can take advantage of the sphere.

nedz
2014-03-06, 10:32 PM
As I said they don't trust me. There is one with a ring of three wishes and then also our wizards. But they don't feel like wasting a wish on me and I can't wish myself out.

Your DM isn't a douche, your fellow players are.

On the other hand, why haven't you bought some wishes already.

One thing you could try though ... Many years ago I placed a Luckblade in a horde and the party divvied up the loot without identifying it first. I watched and noted who had it and waited until they said "I wish ..." and which point it was granted. I think they got a nice umbrella or something ... Just try saying "I Wish I was out of this sphere" or something; maybe you have a wish but don't know it. :smallwink:

UnoriginalGamer
2014-03-06, 10:35 PM
On the other hand, why haven't you bought some wishes already.

One thing you could try though ... Many years ago I placed a Luckblade in a horde and the party divvied up the loot without identifying it first. I watched and noted who had it and waited until they said "I wish ..." and which point it was granted. I think they got a nice umbrella or something ... Just try saying "I Wish I was out of this sphere" or something; maybe you have a wish but don't know it. :smallwink:

Specifically cause he said I can't wish myself out ;P

onasuma
2014-03-06, 10:50 PM
If you are playing with full knowledge of the campaign and as the antagonist then its my standpoint that you are basically fulfilling the role of "crew". As a result, you are entirely there to help further the story the DM is telling and if that leaves you trapped in a crystal ball for all eternity then you get left in a crystal ball for all eternity.

ZackoKross
2014-03-06, 11:07 PM
OK so the DM here ... i need to exspain my self ... i have currently delved 6 players into a world ... were the sun is fading ... and light magic spells are fading ... and the planes seem to be growing more distant ... attacks from creatures of the night have grown more rampant as the nights get longer.. much like a sign of foreboding winter that is yet you come... My young "antagonist" is simply a player who decided he wanted to end the campaign a different way and i went ahead and let him decide how he would do it .... AND MULTIPLE assassin attempts later yet great acts of benevolence the Pc have come to trust him yet be wary of him ... they ponder letting him out of the orb

Aegis013
2014-03-07, 12:26 AM
OK so the DM here ... i need to exspain my self ... i have currently delved 6 players into a world ... were the sun is fading ... and light magic spells are fading ... and the planes seem to be growing more distant ... attacks from creatures of the night have grown more rampant as the nights get longer.. much like a sign of foreboding winter that is yet you come... My young "antagonist" is simply a player who decided he wanted to end the campaign a different way and i went ahead and let him decide how he would do it .... AND MULTIPLE assassin attempts later yet great acts of benevolence the Pc have come to trust him yet be wary of him ... they ponder letting him out of the orb

So the point of the orb was to promote role-play within the group? I'm not seeing how this orb event accomplishes such a thing. How do you suppose this would have accomplished such a goal or furthered that purpose?

Immabozo
2014-03-07, 12:28 AM

I like it and dont blame you at all, I knew we had too little data, truely bad DMs are rare. I had the privilege of playing with one and know what they look like.

All I want to know is your reaction to several suggestions to kicking you in the nuts

Silentone98
2014-03-07, 01:23 AM
So the point of the orb was to promote role-play within the group? I'm not seeing how this orb event accomplishes such a thing. How do you suppose this would have accomplished such a goal or furthered that purpose?

Orb means the party will have more reason to go after the antagonist after they risk their own resources to save him and he backstabs. There is also more negotiation, communication and other things here.
Also... it's amusing to see how PC's decide to handle any given situation

clever in a way... but risky also. That could be a game ender right there. lol

Aegis013
2014-03-07, 02:17 AM
Orb means the party will have more reason to go after the antagonist after they risk their own resources to save him and he backstabs. There is also more negotiation, communication and other things here.
Also... it's amusing to see how PC's decide to handle any given situation

clever in a way... but risky also. That could be a game ender right there. lol

It doesn't sound like the party is willing to risk their own resources for him.
I'd be surprised if he hasn't already tried to negotiate with them.

And we'll have to agree to disagree on how amusing it is to see PC's handle certain situations. Sometimes it's just awful on both sides of the table.

Silentone98
2014-03-07, 03:04 AM
And we'll have to agree to disagree on how amusing it is to see PC's handle certain situations. Sometimes it's just awful on both sides of the table.

situation dependent,... near impossible to say that we don't agree without lining up situations and both of us commenting on it... O.o
Cause you are correct... some things are not just awful, but downright disastrous.

as to the situation in this thread? I don't know how I feel about it. For me, it seems like a particularly nasty trap(not the object the player is in, but the situation) and one that is highly unfair to the one playing DM's tool. He deserves to at least know what's going on imo.

But without proper knowledge of everything, I can't gauge a full opinion on the matter and would rather abstain any such opinion. I feel like im missing details that would alter my opinion greatly

UnoriginalGamer
2014-03-07, 10:56 AM
situation dependent,... near impossible to say that we don't agree without lining up situations and both of us commenting on it... O.o
Cause you are correct... some things are not just awful, but downright disastrous.

as to the situation in this thread? I don't know how I feel about it. For me, it seems like a particularly nasty trap(not the object the player is in, but the situation) and one that is highly unfair to the one playing DM's tool. He deserves to at least know what's going on imo.

But without proper knowledge of everything, I can't gauge a full opinion on the matter and would rather abstain any such opinion. I feel like im missing details that would alter my opinion greatly

Mmkay here's everything I know then. That comes to mind at least. We are headed after Father Lymmic, an Elder Evil, and I am one of his Brood. I was converted when we were visiting Underdark and they came in right at the end of the ritual. I then caused a cave in and was basically gone for the rest of the campaign until recently. In this time the PC's went to Underdark (Got a drow cleric which I ended up playing in the meantime). They then (Some screwed up crap happened) And we ended up surfacing in the spine of the world and created a town. After a few days a red dragon and a silver dragon ended up fighting in the middle of the town, they went to talk to the silver dragon in which they found me there passed out from exhaustion. I joined them at this point and journeyed with the to kill the Red Dragon. After assisting them I ended up getting trapped inside of the orb and we traveled to the base of the mountain holding Father Lymmic with me still inside. I then tested if I could fly and we saw a hoard of vampires. At that point we cut off for the next session.

Silentone98
2014-03-08, 03:51 PM
so to sum it up... your playing right under the thumb of the DM. Used two temporary characters even to assist in this plot(im assuming your blood thrall or whatever it is, is a temporary character meant to die at some point? If your turning on the party, I'd assume this to be the case). Been filled in of EVERY other detail about the campaign, including that which the DM normally doesn't share with the PC's. Been allowed to become part of that side of the story.
were even one session away from your planned turning on the party. And now he has trapped you in an orb.

Again, I feel like theres info here that's missing. And a large part of that is because you simply don't have that info, the DM does... and he shafted you hard given the position your in. If I was in his shoes the only thing I can thing I can think of is he wants your natural reaction to the situation, as to not give you unfair treatment beyond setting the stage. IF that was the case, I'd say its a legit reason even for playing as his tool.. but he should have told you as much at least.
Instead all you have been told is "I am trying to promote better roleplay and interaction" which can be taken in many different ways o.O
roleplay and interaction can be good OR bad, and your the bad guy

So without knowing for sure- to me it looks like one of the following
1.) the party knows out of character that your not on their side. One player(or more) bribed the DM and now your stuck in an orb.. haha, jokes on you.
2.)DM is a **** and didn't like your idea of messing with his campaign with your own idea as an antagonist and decided to punish/waste your time in this way(I don't honestly think this is the case, it's just based on what you've said and his post)
3.)DM is trying to get them to waste their wish spells. This has the added effect of giving them fuel to hate and hunt you after betrayal
4.)As stated above, the wheels are in motion and he wants your natural reaction,... as also stated, he doesn't want to give an unfair advantage by providing further information.(Which leads into the question of, why wouldn't he just tell you this at least?)
5.)He is waiting for you to communicate with your vampire lord. Something tells me at that level you'd have SOME method of accomplishing this. Checking Vampire Spawn, it appears they don't have telepathy... but you must have something? And if not him,.. maybe someone else that can be bought off.
6.)List goes on...

so as you can see... I can't draw a fair or accurate opinion on this. lol
Your not at fault for this, so don't think im poking at you for more information... it's because you yourself don't have this information that your here.

If I had to take a bet, I'd say that the DM is trying to get the party to waste a wish on you- and having your reaction to being trapped helps that cause. Which would answer your original question on how to get out, but it doesn't sound like the party is willing, lol.

on another note, this thread is top pick for google search "D&D sphere death machine"
im not sure where to go to look for that item >.>

UnoriginalGamer
2014-03-08, 04:16 PM
so to sum it up... your playing right under the thumb of the DM. Used two temporary characters even to assist in this plot(im assuming your blood thrall or whatever it is, is a temporary character meant to die at some point? If your turning on the party, I'd assume this to be the case). Been filled in of EVERY other detail about the campaign, including that which the DM normally doesn't share with the PC's. Been allowed to become part of that side of the story.
were even one session away from your planned turning on the party. And now he has trapped you in an orb.

Again, I feel like theres info here that's missing. And a large part of that is because you simply don't have that info, the DM does... and he shafted you hard given the position your in. If I was in his shoes the only thing I can thing I can think of is he wants your natural reaction to the situation, as to not give you unfair treatment beyond setting the stage. IF that was the case, I'd say its a legit reason even for playing as his tool.. but he should have told you as much at least.
Instead all you have been told is "I am trying to promote better roleplay and interaction" which can be taken in many different ways o.O
roleplay and interaction can be good OR bad, and your the bad guy

So without knowing for sure- to me it looks like one of the following
1.) the party knows out of character that your not on their side. One player(or more) bribed the DM and now your stuck in an orb.. haha, jokes on you.
2.)DM is a **** and didn't like your idea of messing with his campaign with your own idea as an antagonist and decided to punish/waste your time in this way(I don't honestly think this is the case, it's just based on what you've said and his post)
3.)DM is trying to get them to waste their wish spells. This has the added effect of giving them fuel to hate and hunt you after betrayal
4.)As stated above, the wheels are in motion and he wants your natural reaction,... as also stated, he doesn't want to give an unfair advantage by providing further information.(Which leads into the question of, why wouldn't he just tell you this at least?)
5.)He is waiting for you to communicate with your vampire lord. Something tells me at that level you'd have SOME method of accomplishing this. Checking Vampire Spawn, it appears they don't have telepathy... but you must have something? And if not him,.. maybe someone else that can be bought off.
6.)List goes on...

so as you can see... I can't draw a fair or accurate opinion on this. lol
Your not at fault for this, so don't think im poking at you for more information... it's because you yourself don't have this information that your here.

If I had to take a bet, I'd say that the DM is trying to get the party to waste a wish on you- and having your reaction to being trapped helps that cause. Which would answer your original question on how to get out, but it doesn't sound like the party is willing, lol.

on another note, this thread is top pick for google search "D&D sphere death machine"
im not sure where to go to look for that item >.>

The sphere was meant for the artificier... and I was sacrificed (No save no nothing) just a little later.

The Grue
2014-03-08, 05:58 PM

Are your feet touching the ground? If the bottom of the sphere is and you're standing inside the sphere you could argue that you are.

Do you have that Stone Dragon manoeuvre that lets you ignore DR/hardness and to extra damage?

Fitz10019
2014-03-08, 06:34 PM
That the only way out is a wish or a miracle.
Was that information in an email? 'Cuz if he didn't italicize 'wish' ... heh

Silentone98
2014-03-09, 03:40 AM
The sphere was meant for the artificier... and I was sacrificed (No save no nothing) just a little later.

as in, it was suppose to be the artificier that got trapped?

or as in "The artificer just used your trapped soul for his own needs and your now sacrificed/dead" ?
lol

that's actually kinda weird that you didn't get a save, either way.

UnoriginalGamer
2014-03-09, 12:16 PM
as in, it was suppose to be the artificier that got trapped?

or as in "The artificer just used your trapped soul for his own needs and your now sacrificed/dead" ?
lol

that's actually kinda weird that you didn't get a save, either way.

The artificier was supposed to be the trapped one. And I got no save (I had gotten out of the orb by this point) because it was "For story progression:

Gavinfoxx
2014-03-09, 12:33 PM
How can a DM make an indiscriminate trap, apply it to the "wrong" character without a save "for story purposes" and say it was "supposed" to be for a particular character?

UnoriginalGamer
2014-03-09, 12:38 PM
How can a DM make an indiscriminate trap, apply it to the "wrong" character without a save "for story purposes" and say it was "supposed" to be for a particular character?

Nooooo no no no. The trap was for the Artificier. The no save sacrifice was planned for me all along apparently. I got a Will save for the orb.