PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Advice on what rules system to use for my game

Dragonashblade
2014-03-06, 11:25 AM
Hello I am new to the forums I've looked in every now and then but never said anything until now, so i thought i would ask a question. I have had the idea running in my head to run a game for my group based off the Aquanox setting; the pc game is ok but the setting is what I like most.

It's just the system to base my games on eludes me could i get some help please.

LibraryOgre
2014-03-06, 11:48 AM
When someone says "I have a setting I want to fit a game to", I tend to default to Savage Worlds, even without knowing the setting. It's easy to convert and learn.

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-03-06, 12:03 PM
I think the most important thing is to find a system that everyone likes that's a pretty good fit for the genre. This is doubly true when you don't have experience with a wide breadth of systems (and honestly, if you do have that experience, you probably already have ideas of what to use for any given genre).

The big question to ask is this, though: what do player-characters do? Even in the same setting, you might wind up wanting different systems for different aspects of it. Once you know what characters will be doing in the game, you'll be able to pick a system fairly well.

neonchameleon
2014-03-06, 12:26 PM
When someone says "I have a setting I want to fit a game to", I tend to default to Savage Worlds, even without knowing the setting. It's easy to convert and learn.

I'd say Fate Core for the same reason. But CarpeGuitarrem is wise. Don't look at the setting - look at what you think you want the PCs to actually do. Then if you're not sure tell us. (This is guidelines rather than a plot you need).

kyoryu
2014-03-06, 01:43 PM
The big question to ask is this, though: what do player-characters do? Even in the same setting, you might wind up wanting different systems for different aspects of it. Once you know what characters will be doing in the game, you'll be able to pick a system fairly well.

Yeah, this. This is one of the best ways to analyze systems.

Though I'd actually ask what the *players* do, as char-op/etc. should factor into system choice as well, and those are not PC-facing things.

Delwugor
2014-03-06, 05:28 PM
I think the most important thing is to find a system that everyone likes that's a pretty good fit for the genre. This is doubly true when you don't have experience with a wide breadth of systems (and honestly, if you do have that experience, you probably already have ideas of what to use for any given genre).

CarpeGuitarrem gets the cookie of the day.

Dragonashblade
2014-03-06, 07:08 PM
That is probably the best way to think about, thank you for the advice I am still fairly new to running a game, i ran a quick pathfinder and new WOTD and i am currently running the freiberg campaign for 7th sea.

The players as a whole like a sense of realism or a gritty feel to the game; so a good example would be our longest running games is an assassin game where the we were fire knives in westgate; so i was going to run a game where the players are press ganged on to a pirate sub so i was planning on several routes for them to go. I just need fun if not good vehicle rules.