PDA

View Full Version : skill question - craft making arrows

thatwolfguy
2007-02-01, 02:02 PM
where can i find info about a craft skill that will allow me to make arrows? probably something called fletching, but if not, it might fall under bow making right? there is an entry in the PHB about bowmaking, so if that's it, i got it, i was just wondering if there was a more specific skill craft listed somewhere.

thanks

dave / that wolf guy

SpiderBrigade
2007-02-01, 02:12 PM
Technically bowmaking and fletching would be two different craft skills. Personally I'd say a reasonable DM should let you combine the two. Possibly you might have to make the arrowheads separately, with a Craft: Weaponsmithing.

Fixer
2007-02-01, 02:17 PM
In my experience the Craft (bowyer) skills includes the making of arrows as well as bows, but not arrowheads made of metal. In order to make your own arrows completely from Craft, you would need either Craft (weaponsmith) [for metal arrowheads], Craft (stonemasonry) [stone arrowheads], or for the truly bizarre twist, Craft (glazier) [glass arrowheads... fill with your favorite alchemist fire!].

Whisper
2007-02-01, 02:18 PM
In the past Bowyer/Fletcher was one skill. As for the arrowheads I would just buy them from the local blacksmith.

SpiderBrigade
2007-02-01, 02:22 PM
In the past Bowyer/Fletcher was one skill. As for the arrowheads I would just buy them from the local blacksmith.In that situation why not just buy arrows?

Isomenes
2007-02-01, 02:32 PM
Bowmaking is pretty specifically bows, and arrows can be used as melee weapons, which would put them into their own category. You could go with Craft (weaponsmithing), using the 15 DC for martial/thrown weapons.

Breaking out an item into its own Craft skill is not advisable unless you can't think of a general category that it would fit into--I have a bard who makes potion tiles, and I use Craft (woodworking) with a DC 20 for ornate tiles rather than making a separate Craft skill for tiles. This way, I can set DCs for other woodworking skills, add a bit of flavor to the character, and open up the use of the skill a bit rather than limiting it to one task.

Matthew
2007-02-01, 04:23 PM
I am going to say Craft (Weapon Smithing), mainly because Cross Bows fall under that category. In fact, the only weapons that don't fall under Craft (Weapon Smithing) are Bows. Stupid really, but there you go.

Fhaolan
2007-02-01, 05:38 PM
I am going to say Craft (Weapon Smithing), mainly because Cross Bows fall under that category. In fact, the only weapons that don't fall under Craft (Weapon Smithing) are Bows. Stupid really, but there you go.

That *does* seem somewhat dim, doesn't it? Especially when two weapons as different as a sling and a longsword would both be made under the same Craft [Weaponsmithing] skill, but a bow can't. Huh. Never thought that through before.

Matthew
2007-02-02, 12:52 PM
Yep, it is pretty silly and probably a legacy of the (A)D&D proficiency system. As an analogue, a character with Craft (Armour Smithing) can (as far as I can tell) construct any kind of Body Armour or Shield from any type of material. This rather strongly suggests that all Craft (Bowyer) should be subsumed in Craft (Weapon Smithing).
The quickest solution is to remove Craft (Bowyer) and play around with Circumstance Modifiers to represent the character's familiarity with any given type of weapon or armour; another option is to require a character, in addition to this to have the relevant craft skill, to have proficiency with the weapon or armour in question in order to make it, but that doesn't cover every possible scenario either.

Black Hand
2007-02-03, 01:03 AM
Out of curiosity, couldn't you instead take ranks in Profession (boyer/fletcher) which would most likley give you the necessary skills to create mundane bows & arrows (masterwork exempt since it's not a craft)

Emperor Tippy
2007-02-03, 01:34 AM
I just had an idea. Since you can make a sling for free and instantly (they cost nothing), could you just walk up to a cow and 6 seconds later have a pile of leather slings?

oriong
2007-02-03, 01:47 AM
that is disturbing...I'm just imagining someone touching the cow and having it instantly explode into a mass of slings and superflous organs, blood and bones.

Emperor Tippy
2007-02-03, 01:57 AM
Yeah. To bad their are no free metal objects.

"Oh the big iron gate is in the way" *Billy walks up to the gate and touches it "There you go" says Billy as the gate is now a pile of XXXX

Fhaolan
2007-02-03, 01:18 PM
Yeah. To bad their are no free metal objects.

"Oh the big iron gate is in the way" *Billy walks up to the gate and touches it "There you go" says Billy as the gate is now a pile of XXXX

Quarterstaves make short work of any wooden palisades...