PDA

View Full Version : [PFS] Dual Shield Fighter

Fidelacchius
2014-03-06, 02:22 PM
I'm looking for opinions regarding a character I'm building for pathfinder society how is a dual shield wielding fighter. This is my first time doing pathfinder society so I'm building a tank fighter just in case the conjuration wizard I also built doesn't fit with the rest of the group (i.e. all casters, no melee).

Important stuff:

This is a tank build optimizing for utility, lockdown, and defense. Damage is nice, but secondary.
I own the main PDF books but no others (APG, UM, UC, UE, and Ultimate Campaign) so those are the only legal sources for me.

The build:
Human Fighter with the Brawler archetype

STR: 18 (both level bonuses go to str)
DEX: 16
CON: 14
INT: 7
WIS: 13
CHA: 7

Feats:
1F: Combat Reflexes
1H: Two Weapon Fighting
1: Improved Shield Bash
2F: Power Attack
3: Step up
4F: Weapon Focus (Heavy Shield)
5: Weapon Specilization (Heavy Shield)
6F: Improved Two Weapon Fighting
7: Shield Slam
8F: Disruptive
9: Greater Weapon Focus (Heavy Shield), retrain Step Up to Stand Still
10F: Double Slice
11:Shield Master

Traits: ?

At level 1 the character uses a Gladius and a Heavy Spiked Shield with the heavy spiked shield in the main hand. Possibly also having a Tonfa as a backup weapon.

At level 3 the character gets +1 attack and +3 damage with the close weapon group and switches to a Jutte or a Tonfa in the off hand with Wushu Darts for a ranged option. Possibly also a sap for those occasions where killing the target is not preferred.

At level 7 the character switches to a Heavy Spiked shield in the off hand sized for a small character making it a light weapon. Hopefully both shields have the bashing quality.

Having two shields allows every attack to get a free bullrush. Adjacent enemies now get get -1 to attack rolls and -4 concentration checks

After level 9 enemies cannot 5-foot step away or withdraw without a aoo (Stand Still or shield bash + bullrush)

At level 11 the character switches to two regular sized heavy shields if not cost prohibitive.

Final full attack (assuming power attack and 2 bashing shields) looks like:
+18/+18/+13/+13/+8 (2d6+18/2d6+15)

StreamOfTheSky
2014-03-06, 08:06 PM
I prefer using the "weapon and shield" style of Rangers for such a build. That lets you grab Shield Slam at level 2 (4 early) and Shield Master at 6 (5 early!) - making it pretty quick to reach the point where you can dual wield spiked Bashing Heavy Shields w/o any attack penalties.

After Ranger 6, going into Brawler Fighter is a decent 2nd career path. Though, by (very stupid) RAW, brawler's weapon training replacement...doesn't count as weapon training. Which means no gloves of dueling. Which means no additional +2 attack/damage. Which means, long-term, Brawler is actually worse at fighting w/ close weapons than a regular fighter is (did I mention the RAW is stupid yet?).

Blyte
2014-03-06, 08:39 PM
3 feats suggestions:
spiked destroyer (free armor spike attack each turn when you bull rush)
step up (to be replaced by "stand still" at level 9 or 10, when you get no-escape)
disruptive (coupled with menacing stance, and no one is casting near you)

another option is two-handing a large spiked bashing shield, and offhand attacking with armor spikes, and still getting the bonus armor spikes attack with spiked destroyer when you bull rush with your shield.

grarrrg
2014-03-06, 10:21 PM
I prefer using the "weapon and shield" style of Rangers for such a build. That lets you grab Shield Slam at level 2 (4 early) and Shield Master at 6 (5 early!) - making it pretty quick to reach the point where you can dual wield spiked Bashing Heavy Shields w/o any attack penalties.

^Mostly this.

Fidelacchius
2014-03-08, 07:03 PM
Thanks for the suggestion steam and grarrg I really considered it. However I feel like the penalties are off set enough by the bonus from the brawlers version of weapon training.

In addition the main reason I like the brawler is menacing stance and no escape.

Blyte, I like the feat suggestions except for spiked destroyer since I'd have to buy the source to use it.

I'm going to replace improved and greater bull rush for step up and disruptive respectively. If I do buy that source I'll replace spiked destroyer.