PDA

View Full Version : Truenamer Questions

Draz74
2007-02-01, 02:54 PM
Hey, I just got Tome of Magic, and I'm confused about a couple things that don't seem to be covered. Just two questions for now, both about Truename magic:

Is it even worth researching the personal truenames of your allies in your party? I couldn't find any benefit in the rules to knowing personal truenames, except when casting on yourself (natch) or when speaking utterances that involve saves (which you wouldn't use on your allies).

How do you calculate the Truespeak DC for Perfected Map Lexicon utterances? Do you just count a place or area as a nonmagical "object," and use a DC of 25?

Khantalas
2007-02-01, 02:56 PM
DC for Lexicon of the Perfected Map utterances is 15 + (2 x utterance level) IIRC.

Let me check the errata.

EDIT: Way off mark. It's 25 + (5 x utterance level). Add 5 if location is magical.

Thomas
2007-02-01, 03:02 PM
Is it even worth researching the personal truenames of your allies in your party? I couldn't find any benefit in the rules to knowing personal truenames, except when casting on yourself (natch) or when speaking utterances that involve saves (which you wouldn't use on your allies).

That depends on you, doesn't it? I can certainly see how it'd be advantageous... :smallwink:

Draz74
2007-02-01, 03:09 PM
Heh.

OK, then it's even worse than I thought -- if you start researching your allies' truenames, they have every reason to mistrust you and pre-emptively backstab you.

Seems a little contrary to the spirit of the class if you ask me.

Thomas
2007-02-01, 03:29 PM
What, are you going to tell them you're doing it? Don't be silly.

Khantalas
2007-02-01, 03:31 PM
See, you research truenames while the wizard is creating magical items / researching spells / being useless (seriously, if a wizard isn't doing either of those at level up and / or breaks between adventures, he can't win D&D :smalltongue:).

Feralgeist
2007-02-04, 06:09 AM
Generally it's only worth researching a true name if you have money to burn, and even then, only if it's on an NPC who will be recurring.

"OH MAN ITS LYK TOTALI SWE3T I PWN3|) DAT DEV!L AND ONLI NEDED 2 USE AT LEAST 2000 GP!"

Fighter- "Oh, really? I just used power attack..."

Khantalas
2007-02-04, 06:15 AM
"OH MAN ITS LYK TOTALI SWE3T I PWN3|) DAT DEV!L AND ONLI NEDED 2 USE AT LEAST 2000 GP!"

Fighter- "Oh, really? I just used power attack..."

Except that the common idea is that fighters are usually weak, if not useless, against higher level monsters, like baatezu.