PDA

View Full Version : Wealth in Low-Magic Urban Campaign

DodgerH2O
2014-03-06, 08:38 PM
I've decided to run a low-magic homebrew setting I came up with some time ago. In addition, I'm running a city-based campaign. (It's also mostly E10, and I expect the characters to spend most of their time around levels 4-8).

I already am aware that tons of the points of balance of 3.5 D&D fall apart when you limit access to magic items. I don't need a lecture on that. The majority of the characters' opposition will be humanoid creatures using the same classes, powers, and items that the PCs have access to. This will also be the most likely source of new magic items.

The question I have is: What avenues do I have to allow the PCs to use their wealth other than the typical magic-mart gold sink?

The best I've come up with is that they can purchase property or influence within the city, and some of them will choose to have more lavish lifestyles that require a new expensive outfit for every week's gala, but I don't want to assume that all of them will want such perks.

In addition, what sort of lifestyle costs would be fair? I understand 3.5's ruleset fairly well but have generally been in groups where once the party has a couple levels they never have to worry about affording a room or drinks and many nights are spent outdoors or in hostile territory.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

BowStreetRunner
2014-03-06, 11:31 PM
You might want to take a look at the Stronghold Builder's Guidebook for starters. A PC could drop a pretty handsome amount of cash on a decent pad for themselves. The nice thing about that is any time you feel they are starting to get a little cash-heavy, all you have to do is run an encounter at their stronghold in which the NPCs have the resources to overcome some of their defenses. This should provide sufficient incentive to dump some of their surplus funds into upgrades. :smallcool:

iceman10058
2014-03-07, 12:00 AM
You might want to take a look at the Stronghold Builder's Guidebook for starters. A PC could drop a pretty handsome amount of cash on a decent pad for themselves. The nice thing about that is any time you feel they are starting to get a little cash-heavy, all you have to do is run an encounter at their stronghold in which the NPCs have the resources to overcome some of their defenses. This should provide sufficient incentive to dump some of their surplus funds into upgrades. :smallcool:

i second this

Slipperychicken
2014-03-07, 12:46 AM
Enchanted spinning rims for the carriage? Adamantine grills? +3 bank account of concealed embezzlement? Wallet of Mugger-Attraction?

Also, why would they get all that loot when they don't have magic items to buy with it?

VoxRationis
2014-03-07, 02:26 AM
First off, you should look at the late 2nd ed. printing of the DM's Guide for some ideas into ways to drain the coffers that don't involve going into a shop and buying legendary weapons off a shelf.

Strongholds are a big drain, for certain, but don't forget the staff of the strongholds. Players at higher levels might want to amass a private army, either a literal army or a similarly large but less militant organization under them. People, even those who work for the PCs because they believe in them, want to be paid, or rather need to be paid, because if you're acting as a footsoldier/spy/maid/whatever for a player character, you can't be foraging for food or otherwise making yourself self-sufficient.

Make intrigue a big part of the campaign, or otherwise ramp up the scope of the matter. Then a big money drain becomes the hiring of spies, networks of informants, and assassins, as well as the sponsoring of tournaments, patronage of artists, etc. Maybe an important part of functioning in society is the throwing of lavish balls or galas, and if the PCs want to have any clout with the aristocracy, they need to cut into their pockets every now and then.
Maybe the idea of a "white elephant" applies in this setting, so a king/merchant prince/emperor/High Priest who doesn't like the PCs can give them a "gift" that they can't refuse and costs exorbitant amounts to keep up.

Lastly, although you might be leery of using this too often, don't be afraid to give the PCs some "bad luck." I'm guessing that at least one PC will want to invest this vast wealth into business enterprises, and start reaping returns later. While this is all well and good, remember that it's unrealistic for the investments to ALWAYS pay off. A merchant ship full of silk and gold sinks in a storm; the vineyard is sacked by orcs; there's a bad year and the barley crop isn't that good, so the brewery doesn't turn a profit. Don't take everything they try to do and turn it against them, but make sure that some things go bad.

VoxRationis
2014-03-07, 02:29 AM
Also, don't let these guys discourage you from running a low-magic setting with limited availability of magic items. It is true that lots of 3.5 monsters assume that the party is loaded down with magic items, but not ALL adventures or even all campaigns have to involve those monsters. You can have lots of fun when most of the people involved are humanoid. It also makes every magic item that much more special.