PDA

View Full Version : PrC Class Feature Advancement?

MesiDoomstalker
2014-03-06, 10:22 PM
I'm in the (very) long process of a rewrite of 3.5 CORE and I'm wanting to make non-CORE mesh as well as possible with the rewrite without having to rewrite non-CORE. So, I ask the forumites, what class features do PrC's across 3.5 "advance"? Things like Spellcasting, meldshaping, Sneak Attack. Things that normally scale with class level and continue to advance with most Prestige Classes associated with said classes.

Spellcasting (and similar sub-systems)
Sneak Attack
Turn Undead
Animal Companion
Wild Empathy
Wild Shape
Paladin's Mount
Paladin's Smite
Paladin's Lay On Hands
Bardic Music
Bardic Knowledge
Monk's Unarmed Damage progression
Barbarian Rage

The purpose for this list is, if I want a new class feature I've added to advance with PrC's, without having to rewrite PrC's, I want to attach them to another class feature that PrC's typically advance.

Telonius
2014-03-06, 10:37 PM
Various PrCs advance these:

Animal Companion
Wild Empathy
Wild Shape
Paladin's Mount
Paladin's Smite
Paladin's Lay On Hands
Bardic Music
Bardic Knowledge
Monk's Unarmed Damage progression
Barbarian Rage

Thurbane
2014-03-07, 04:39 AM
Uncanny Trickster and Legacy champion advance (partially) ANY class feature(s).

cakellene
2014-03-07, 05:38 AM
Is there anything that isn't advanced by a PrC?

Telonius
2014-03-07, 08:46 AM
These aren't PRCs, but there are a few mutliclass feats that allow characters advance certain abilities when multiclassing. You might want to examine these feats (asterisked feats are from Dragon magazine):

Ascetic Hunter
Ascetic Knight
Ascetic Mage
Ascetic Stalker
*Combined Empathy
Daring Outlaw
Daring Warrior
Devoted Inquisitor
Devoted Performer
Devoted Tracker
*Divine Inspiration
*Elemental Stalker
*Holy Mount
Martial Stalker
Master Spellthief
Razing Strike
*Sacred Outlaw
*Sacred Performer
Swift Ambusher
*Swift Avenger
Swift Hunter
*Theurgic Empathy
*Theurgic Mount

Psyren
2014-03-07, 09:16 AM
Is there anything that isn't advanced by a PrC?

Aside from the two "universal PrCs" mentioned above (Uncanny Trickster and Legacy Champion), there is only one PrC that advances Wild Surge, none that give new Mantles, none that advance Auras, and (amusingly) none that advance Utterances.

Snowbluff
2014-03-07, 11:16 AM
Wild Surge

Anarchic Initiate. Gives it to you rather than actually progressing it, but it still scales.

Lack of Utterance progression has always bothered.

Auras don't bother me nearly as much. Draconic ones can be done with certain abilities, and Minor Auras scale with stats. I made a PrC that advances Auras as a sort of White Raven/Leadership PrC.

Psyren
2014-03-07, 11:21 AM
Anarchic Initiate. Gives it to you rather than actually progressing it, but it still scales.

You didn't actually read my post before hitting reply, did you :smalltongue:

Snowbluff
2014-03-07, 11:22 AM
You didn't actually read my post before hitting reply, did you :smalltongue:

I read it, but I've recently decapitated myself, it seems. :smalltongue:

RedMage125
2014-03-07, 11:54 AM
These aren't PRCs, but there are a few mutliclass feats that allow characters advance certain abilities when multiclassing. You might want to examine these feats (asterisked feats are from Dragon magazine):

Ascetic Hunter
Ascetic Knight
Ascetic Mage
Ascetic Stalker
*Combined Empathy
Daring Outlaw
Daring Warrior
Devoted Inquisitor
Devoted Performer
Devoted Tracker
*Divine Inspiration
*Elemental Stalker
*Holy Mount
Martial Stalker
Master Spellthief
Razing Strike
*Sacred Outlaw
*Sacred Performer
Swift Ambusher
*Swift Avenger
Swift Hunter
*Theurgic Empathy
*Theurgic Mount

Is there some way to at least look up which Dragon Magazine those came from? I have a collection of Dragon Magazine pdfs I picked up, and would like to examine those feats.

Snowbluff
2014-03-07, 11:58 AM
Is there some way to at least look up which Dragon Magazine those came from? I have a collection of Dragon Magazine pdfs I picked up, and would like to examine those feats.

#325 has the theurgic style feats. "A Surge of Theurgy." I used these feats for my ArcHeir Ubermount.

Telonius
2014-03-07, 12:43 PM
*Combined Empathy - Dragon 325 p61
*Divine Inspiration - Dragon 330 p85
*Elemental Stalker - Dragon 357 p86
*Holy Mount - Dragon 325 p62
*Sacred Outlaw - Dragon 357 p86
*Sacred Performer - Dragon 357 p86
*Swift Avenger - Dragon 357 p87
*Theurgic Empathy - Dragon 325 p62
*Theurgic Mount - Dragon 325 p62

MesiDoomstalker
2014-03-07, 06:18 PM
You are awesome Telonius. Thanks a bunch. Now I just need to sift through the Theurge feats and see what they all advance. Too bad I don't have Dragon Mag's to check those out. Oh well.

RedMage125
2014-03-07, 10:57 PM
#325 has the theurgic style feats. "A Surge of Theurgy." I used these feats for my ArcHeir Ubermount.

Eegads! Theurgic Bond could make an ArcHeir's Familiar Companion ridiculous. Especially since it only specifies that each time you take the feat applies to "a specific animal", it's a valid interpretation that a Wiz5/Druid5/ArcHeir5 with a familiar Companion has all the abilities of a 15th level familair AND a 15th level companion (as opposed to 10 and 10 without the feat). That's way better than Natural Bond.

Snowbluff
2014-03-08, 07:36 AM
Eegads! Theurgic Bond could make an ArcHeir's Familiar Companion ridiculous. Especially since it only specifies that each time you take the feat applies to "a specific animal", it's a valid interpretation that a Wiz5/Druid5/ArcHeir5 with a familiar Companion has all the abilities of a 15th level familair AND a 15th level companion (as opposed to 10 and 10 without the feat). That's way better than Natural Bond.

I also used Holy Mount and Devoted Tracker.

Urpriest
2014-03-08, 09:04 AM
Sudden Strike and Skirmish also ought to get a mention.

MesiDoomstalker
2014-03-08, 10:15 AM
Sudden Strike and Skirmish also ought to get a mention.

They would, however they already by RAW count as Sneak Attack. So any PrC that advances SA advances both of those inherently. That, and I'm not touching Ninja or Scout, since they are outside of core.