PDA

View Full Version : That escalated quickly: campaign planning takes a turn for the something

ducttapebandit
2014-03-06, 10:54 PM
According to one of my players, my first mistake was to volunteer to DM.

I decided to try my hand at running a non-"canned" adventure, but I wasn't sure where to start. I told my players to all pick an organization for all members to be part of so they would have common goals (we've got a large collection of D&D 3.5 books to choose from). I also gave them the option of being the same race. The plan was to build the adventure, and possibly longer campaign, on that common goal. I thought level 8 would be a good level because we've mostly done lower level stuff.

They decided to all be Spellscales. Chaotic Neutral Spellscales. For those not familiar, Spellscales choose a different Draconic deity to honor each day. They take on aspects of said deity for the duration of the day.

The party then decided to take the insanity a step further and all be binders. So, in addition to having their personality influenced by the deity, the vestiges can change things further. The party then decided the vestiges found in Tome of Magic are insufficient. If they kill the Draconic deities, there will be more vestiges to choose from! But they need an in-game reason to do so. Why not do it to bring sanity their people? No longer will their people face the confusion of having to choose a new deity each day! The Spellscale people will finally be free! The party may or may not be planning to install one of their own as a deity.

So, that's happening and I'm now morbidly curious to see how this will go. This is either going to be epically amazing or completely crash and burn. To help make this survivable, I let them go gestalt and roll 5d6 for character generation.

The group is now trying to get me to allow them to all have awareness of the fact they are in an RPG. I had to draw the line at Spellscale Deadpools. There is a thing as too much.

Ellowryn
2014-03-06, 11:05 PM
The group is now trying to get me to allow them to all have awareness of the fact they are in an RPG. I had to draw the line at Spellscale Deadpools. There is a thing as too much.

Good Sir, this is DnD, there is no such thing as too much!

And i myself will throw my hand in with crash and burn, unfortunate as it will be. All binders with massive multiple personality disorder sounds fun and i bet they can RP it nice, but there is such a thing as party balance and taking on gods needs enough cheese to choke a Frenchman! :smallbiggrin:

And why is it so bad for a comic character to hate having to deal with just 3 walls?

Phelix-Mu
2014-03-07, 01:05 AM
Make sure to give them access to the web content vestiges, namely Zceryll. It will very amusing to run battles between the party the horde of summoned fiends and the minions of the dragon gods dragons.

Silentone98
2014-03-07, 03:14 AM
I love this idea... and being a deity fight, you can be sure this game will last a while.... but I have to agree it sounds potentially disastrous. But with players what work together with their level of humor to go that far, it may work lol.

is level 8 the starting level?

geekintheground
2014-03-07, 03:21 AM
this sounds AWESOME!! i wish you and the group luck!

Gadora
2014-03-07, 05:32 AM
Good Sir, this is DnD, there is no such thing as too much!

And i myself will throw my hand in with crash and burn, unfortunate as it will be. All binders with massive multiple personality disorder sounds fun and i bet they can RP it nice, but there is such a thing as party balance and taking on gods needs enough cheese to choke a Frenchman! :smallbiggrin:

And why is it so bad for a comic character to hate having to deal with just 3 walls?
Ah, but we are not just playing binders, we are playing gestalt! :smallbiggrin:
We count amongst our number a barbarian//binder, a factotum//binder, my dread necromancer//binder, and an undecided/shadowdancer//binder. And we start in the phase of building a powerbase, and it's likely just going to be a one shot, with our goal of liberating our race as our lofty (horribly evil) ideal.

Make sure to give them access to the web content vestiges, namely Zceryll. It will very amusing to run battles between the party the horde of summoned fiends and the minions of the dragon gods dragons.

Oh gods, four potential summoners and an undead horde. We may kind of flood the battlefield a bit. :smalleek:

I love this idea... and being a deity fight, you can be sure this game will last a while.... but I have to agree it sounds potentially disastrous. But with players what work together with their level of humor to go that far, it may work lol.

is level 8 the starting level?

We're doing a one shot for now, with option to renew. And yeah, it could crash and burn, but it should be fun regardless, and either way, we're getting a story to tell.

Renen
2014-03-07, 08:44 AM
Overly attached devotee: if I kill you and bind your soul to myself, we can be even closer to each other

dysprosium
2014-03-07, 10:05 AM
This sounds like a ridiculously complicated fun idea!

Please let us know how the game went.