PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Potential Archetypes to encourage nonstandard combinations

squiggit
2014-03-06, 11:14 PM
I've been floating the idea of trying to homebrew some ideas for racial archetypes and/or favored class bonuses to try to make nonstandard race/class combos more appealing.

For instance, a gnomish fighter archetype or a dwarven sorcerer, etc.

Just been floating the idea and was wondering what people thought of the concept.

Basically more stuff in the vein of Scarred Witchdoctor.

Spore
2014-03-07, 12:02 AM
Basically you'd have to switch up ability dependency to one where the race has a bonus or at least to something not penalized. Like Wis-based Dwarven Paladins. Dex-based melees for smaller races (giving innate damage from Dex to keep on par with the more powerful Str-based builds).

Still I think PF devs actually enjoy people being forced into roleplaying stereotypes. There is no other reason for me because of all those favored class bonusses, uber Dwarven Clerics or Elven Wizards flying around. They want the classics to be the best.

Still, switching a casting stat seems to be a quite simple and easy solution to SOME problems. I know it can be quite powerful (e.g. Wis is generally a better stat for most non-social scenarios and thus the Dwarven Paladin can become MORE poweful than a standard Paladin, then again, a Crusader Cleric would do the same and be ridiculously more powerful).