PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Some new (sub)races

fuzzysora
2014-03-06, 11:41 PM
Hey guys, I have a couple of races that I've created that I would like to get some feedback on.

1st up is the Volcano Dwarf.

~~~

Volcano Dwarf:

Personality: Volcano Dwarves are similar to Mountain Dwarves in that they both have gruff, tradition rich lives. Volcano Dwarves are usually more stable in their emotions than other dwarves, but they reach their tipping point, they erupt with emotions far stronger than almost any other race. A raging Volcano Dwarf would be a terrifying sight. Like other dwarves, a good time often includes a strong drink and crafting metal objects.

Physical Description: Volcano Dwarves are black as the soot they surround themselves in. Their hair, generally very dark in color, is very rough and often curly due to the intense heat that surrounds them. Volcano Dwarves are slightly taller than other dwarves, but not by much. They generally weigh slightly more than a Mountain Dwarf of the same height. Volcano Dwarf eyes are generally black, orange, or red. A Volcano Dwarf’s blood is hot to the touch, glows slightly and is bright red-orange in color. Their hair is generally a red or orange color, but an older Volcano Dwarves' hair turns black instead of white.

Relations: If a Volcano Dwarf never leaves his home volcano, then he is likely to never meet another friendly race, as few can withstand the heat of the volcano cities Volcano Dwarves inhabit. However, seeing how Volcano Dwarves make high quality metal tools, aspiring Volcano Dwarf entrepreneurs leave their home to sell high quality gear to other races.

Alignment: Like other dwarves, Volcano Dwarves lean heavily towards lawful. Unlike the Mountain Dwarves, however, Volcano Dwarves don’t lean towards good or evil. Having few natural enemies, at least in their volcano homes, a Volcano Dwarf usually has no reason to fight for good or evil. Volcano Dwarves usually only have deal with others of their own kind.

Lands: Volcano Dwarves live in volcanos, with cities built out of stone, and hardened ash and unmelting metals. They often use the lava in the volcanos to their own purposes, such as bathing, metal crafting, and on occasion, using in very strong, very hot drinks. Their volcano
homes tend to be rich in precious metals and gemstones.

Religion: Volcano Dwarves, like other dwarves, mainly worship Moradin, the god of Dwarves. Other Volcano Dwarves may worship fire gods, blacksmithing gods, or gods of great strength.

Language: Being secluded, Volcano Dwarves generally have experience with fewer languages than the typical dwarf. They do often learn Ignan, to speak with few creatures that live nearby.

Names: Volcano Dwarves name themselves very similarly to Mountain Dwarves, except that their clan names often have some reference towards heat.

Clan Names: Flameburn, Magma-maned, Smokestucked, Molteneer, Eruptators, Face-fire

Racial Traits:

-2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, -2 Charisma: Volcanic Dwarves, used to working with heavy metals and molten rock, have stronger connection to fire than their mountain cousins, but are usually a bit less graceful.

Medium: As Medium creatures, Volcano Dwarves have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size

Volcano Dwarves' base land speed is 20 feet. However, dwarves can move at this speed even when wearing medium or heavy armor or when carrying a medium or heavy load.

Volcanic Touch (Ex)- This ability allows a Volcano Dwarf to channel his boiling blood into a weapon or his natural attacks as a full round action that provokes attacks of opportunity. This heats up a Volcano Dwarf's weapon or natural attack and gives that attack an extra 1d4 fire damage on hit. This damage increases by 1d4 for every 3 HD a Volcano Dwarf obtains. (2d4 at 3rd, 3d4 at 6th, etc.). The Volcanic Touch affects the weapon for a number of rounds equal to the Volcano Dwarf's constitution modifier. This ability can be used 1/day, with additional uses per day equal to the Volcano Dwarf's constitution modifier.

Darkvision: Volcano Dwarves can see in the dark up to 60 feet.

Steelcunning: This ability grants a dwarf a +2 racial bonus on Search checks to notice unusual metalwork, such as sliding doors, metal traps, new construction, unsafe metal surfaces, shaky metal ceilings, and the like. Something that isn't metal but is disguised as metal also counts as unusual metalwork. A dwarf who merely comes within 10 feet of unusual metalwork can make a Search check as if he were actively searching, and a dwarf can use the Search skill to find metalwork traps as a rogue can. A Volcano Dwarf can identify any metal that he comes across.

Stability: as Dwarf trait

Immunity to fire: Volcano Dwarves often work directly with lava to make the best possible tools

Vulnerability to Cold. Volcano Dwarves take 1.5 times the damage they normally would from any cold effect or attack. Volcano Dwarves have a vague definition of 'hot' but they can certainly understand what it's like to be cold.

Strong Lungs: Used to breathing thick volcanic air, it takes a lot to make a Volcanic Dwarf choke. A Volcanic Dwarf gets a +4 to any save having to do with inhalation, such as a poisonous vapor. This bonus also applies to a Volcano Dwarf holding his breath to prevent suffocation.

+4 to Craft and Appraise checks relating to metal objects. Volcano Dwarves are masters of all of the metals.

Lavawalk (ex): This ability allows Volcano Dwarves to walk on lava as if it was solid land, although he treats it as difficult terrain.

Automatic Languages: Common and Dwarven. Bonus Languages: Ignan, Terran, Draconic. Volcano Dwarves have very few neighbors who can withstand the heat of their homes, so learn only the languages of the few creatures that can be found nearby such as fire elementals and dragons.

Favored Class: Fighter

~~~
Cloud Dwarves

Personality: Cloud Dwarves are much more carefree and aloof than their counterparts in the mountains. They often travel to wherever life brings them. They are usually happy and friendly, but when sad or angry can barely control their tears and their rage.

Physical Description: Cloud Dwarves are much smaller than typical dwarves, and weigh very little even for their size. They are usually between 3 and 3.5 feet tall and weigh very little, from 5-20 pounds. Their skin and hair is white and their hair is usually fluffy and puffy. They have white or grey pupils but their eye color is as diverse as a human. When enraged or depressed, a Cloud Dwarf’s skin skin and hair darken to grey, and they usually start to cry uncontrollably. Their voice when content is high pitched and easy to understand. However, when angry/upset and grey, a Cloud Dwarf’s voice becomes deeper than a dragons. Their blood is clear like water.

Relations: Cloud Dwarves generally love meeting new people and races, and other races enjoy trading with Cloud Dwarves for their strange, cloud-made tools and equipment. Cloud Dwarves enjoy exploring and new lands can be intriguing a Cloud Dwarf.

Alignment: Cloud Dwarves, generally very happy and helpful, tend to lean towards the good alignment. They still retain their lawful clan system, city style, and craftsmanship, but they are much more carefree and chaotic than your typical Dwarf. Thus, many Cloud Dwarves are neutral when it comes to the axis of law and chaos.

Lands: Cloud Dwarves build large cities on top of clouds and on the peak of tall mountains. Cloud Dwarf cities are constantly changing shape and shift along with the clouds that they reside on. Cities tend to become an entirely different place after a week in the sky. Cloud Dwarves rarely are able to stay in communication with other Cloud Dwarves unless they are part of the same clan, and thus, the same cloud. When two clouds, or rather, two clans collide together and form one cloud, their is typically much rejoicing with a lot of feasting, drinking, and celebration. With their ability to solidify clouds, Cloud Dwarves can manage to keep buildings from drifting apart, and keep friendly clans together. However, often Cloud Dwarves will bid other clans farewell to continue to satisfy their wanderlust. When Cloud Dwarves become of age, most choose to partake in a special rite of age ritual. The next time that their cloud becomes stormy, young Cloud Dwarves fling themselves off and travel down to the mainland with the rain from their cloud. After they land, they explore the new land around them and eventually make their way to the top of a tall mountain so they can rejoin Cloud Dwarf society in the clouds. Some of these mountain peaks have become Cloud Dwarf cities in their own right, as they wait for cloud cities to come by for trading and relations. These cities make it easy for Cloud Dwarves to make their way back onto clouds. Unclaimed clouds are occasionally claimed by Cloud Dwarves who wish to start their own clan, possibly with the pilgrim Cloud Dwarves that they have been travelling with.

Religion: Most Cloud Dwarves worship Maradin, god of the Dwarves. They also worship other gods as they choose, but generally at least pay some respect to gods of the sky.

Language: Cloud Dwarves pick up all sorts of languages as they drift around the world, and many Cloud Dwarves pick up Auran, the language of the sky.

Names: Cloud Dwarves names are typically very easy on the ears, and their clan names typically have something to do with the sky that they live in.

Examples of Clan Names: Skyfall, Thunderstruck, Fluffy-Born, Puffy-Beards

Racial Traits

+2 Dexterity, -2 Constitution. Cloud Dwarves are very quick and nimble, but almost any weapon will send them flying.
Small- +1 bonus to Armor Class, +1 bonus on attack rolls, +4 bonus on Hide checks, –4 penalty on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits 3/4 those of Medium characters.

Cloud Dwarves land base speed is 20 feet. Unlike other Dwarves, a Cloud Dwarf cannot move at this speed when wearing medium or heavy armor or when carrying a medium or heavy load.

Cloudwalk (Ex)- A Cloud Dwarf can walk on any cloud as if it was solid land, and can swim through clouds as though they were water. This effect also affects cloud-like spells such as obscuring mist.

Spell like Ability- Solidify Cloud. As a full round action, a cloud dwarf can solidify 5 square feet of cloud/HD. This allows other creatures to walk on clouds without fear of falling through them. They can not solidify cloud if it has anything in it that isn’t cloud, so they can’t trap creatures or objects within the cloud. This solidified cloud has a 10% chance of being fine enough to make tools out of, if one were to break apart some of the cloud and use it.

Cloud-cunning- This ability grants a dwarf a +2 racial bonus on Search checks to notice unusual cloud-work, such as sliding doors, cloud traps, new construction, unsafe cloud surfaces, shaky cloud ceilings, and the like. Something that isn't cloud but is disguised as cloud also counts as unusual metalwork. A dwarf who merely comes within 10 feet of unusual cloud-work can make a Search check as if he were actively searching, and a dwarf can use the Search skill to find cloudwork traps as a rogue can. A Cloud Dwarf can identify any cloud that he sees, including cloud like spells such as obscuring mist.

Weight of a Cloud- Cloud Dwarves always have a permanent Feather Fall effect on them. This can be suppressed at will, and often is when Cloud Dwarves jump down to the mainland looking for a thrill.

+2 Balance

Cloud Born- Cloud Dwarves are not usually affected by living in a cloud like another race would. Cloud Dwarves are immune to altitude sickness. They also are resistant to lightning, seeing as how they live in clouds that potentially become thunderclouds. This gives Cloud Dwarves Lightning Resist 5

Cold Endurance- Cloud Dwarves have a +4 racial bonus on Fortitude saves made to resist the effects of cold weather or exposure.

~~~
Hey, thanks for taking the time to look over my races! I plan on posting more when I get them typed up. Please tell me what you think of them! :smallsmile:

TheOriginal
2014-03-07, 09:20 PM
8/10 would play as. I just have a Dexterity fetish. Other than that, I love it.

spikeof2010
2014-03-07, 10:05 PM
8/10 would play as. I just have a Dexterity fetish. Other than that, I love it.

Are you physically attracted to dexterous people? :thog:

Passive Pete
2014-03-07, 10:17 PM
I would try this race out. It's a very interesting take on a sub-race. Keep coming up with these, I'd like to see 'em.

It seems a little bit bland though, so maybe get rid of the constitution bonus, and replace it with a weak little fire touch attack (bonus points: make feats to improve said touch attack.) Just about 1d4 fire damage on a touch attack. Maybe a little cool-down time, too (or heat-up, in this case). That would be really neat.

Fyermind
2014-03-09, 03:20 AM
I like this! Due to density of lava, I wouldn't worry about swimming ability much. I'd actually give them a bonus on Balance checks and the ability to walk on lava as if it was rough terrain. (which frankly, I think anyone with decent balance and immunity to fire who isn't really dense should have)

I like the idea of taking away some of their ability bonuses for a fire attack with a warm up time. I'd prefer to take out the strength bonus and make it scale with level (1d4 fire +1d4 fire /3 levels) with a touch attack that can be channeled through a metal melee weapon. Give it a 5 round warm up time or something and it will be a fun way to boost damage once roughly per encounter.

A written 7/10: would not play, would include in campaign as DM.
With modifications such as mine or TheHatMan's 8/10: would like to play.

Debihuman
2014-03-09, 12:59 PM
With modifications, you are looking at LA +1.

Debby

Fyermind
2014-03-09, 11:39 PM
With modifications it looks a lot like a dragonborn in terms of power. Perhaps channeling the touch attack is a little much, but it is d4 to the dragonborn's d8 breath weapon...

fuzzysora
2014-03-10, 09:42 PM
Alright. I just updated the races. I've removed the Volcano Dwarves plus to strength, but given him a fire channeling attack like Fyremind suggested. I also changed their swim bonus into an ability to walk on lava and treat it as difficult terrain.

More interestingly, I posted a new subrace! This time it's the Cloud Dwarf, a small dwarf that lives up in the sky.

Thank you guys so much for reading over my race, and I'm glad you've liked it so far.

Now I have a bunch more that needs to be typed up. Out of these choices, which would you guys like to see first?

Dawn Elf
Dusk Elf
Shale Elf
Carnivorous Halfling
Steam Goblin
Dung Gnome
Arctic Gnoll

I also have created 2 new races, the Noijt, and the Stroo.

The Noijts are human sized torso creatures with no legs. The Stroo are slightly larger than humans, and have no arms

Thanks for the feedback guys, and I hope you like more of what I've got :smallsmile:

TheOriginal
2014-03-17, 01:10 AM
I would very much like to see the Stroo.

You do know that there are already Dawn and Dusk elves? Although I wouldn't mind seeing some new renditions.

malonkey1
2014-03-17, 09:43 AM
Are you physically attracted to dexterous people? :thog:

It's not technically a fetish if it's a common thing to be attracted to, is it?

Alright. I just updated the races. I've removed the Volcano Dwarves plus to strength, but given him a fire channeling attack like Fyremind suggested. I also changed their swim bonus into an ability to walk on lava and treat it as difficult terrain.

More interestingly, I posted a new subrace! This time it's the Cloud Dwarf, a small dwarf that lives up in the sky.

Thank you guys so much for reading over my race, and I'm glad you've liked it so far.

Now I have a bunch more that needs to be typed up. Out of these choices, which would you guys like to see first?

Dawn Elf
Dusk Elf
Shale Elf
Carnivorous Halfling
Steam Goblin
Dung Gnome
Arctic Gnoll

I also have created 2 new races, the Noijt, and the Stroo.

The Noijts are human sized torso creatures with no legs. The Stroo are slightly larger than humans, and have no arms

Thanks for the feedback guys, and I hope you like more of what I've got :smallsmile:

I'd actually like to see subraces of really exotic races, like maybe a Dragonborn of Tiamat (instead of Bahamut), or cave Raptorans, or deep-sea Sea Kin, but I'll admit I "LOL'd" at the "dung gnome" idea.