PDA

View Full Version : should I max cha or Dex? Bard

The Shadowdove
2014-03-07, 04:39 AM
So, I have kind of pieced together a bard. We're starting at level one in a potentially long campaign and I'd like to get this all figured out.

I've never played a bard, if you hadn't guessed. My group never liked them...

Thankfully, the forums here is so quick to reply when a new guy like me is stuck!

I rolled high for my Dex and cha. And don't know which to max as we level.

Our party is: a charger barbarian, evocation/conjuration sorcerer, dual wield fighter(halfling with throwing / handaxes), dual wield(maybe ranged instead) rogue.

My stats are-

Str 15
Dex 18
Con 12
Int 14
Wis 10
Cha 18

Full Bard build

1-dragonfire inspiration / melodic casting
3- song of the heart
6- weapon finnese
9- snowflake wardance
12- word of creation
15+. No idea..extra music stuff maybe or lingering song

Party buffer/meleer/ utility

What would you guys do?

Thanks in advance. much appreciated. D&D has been much more entertaining since I found giantitp.

-Dove

hemming
2014-03-07, 05:10 AM
The most 'bardy' thing to do is bump charisma - fuels your spell casting and natural role as party face

I think you would get more out of your perform skill in the long run by bumping INT (4th and 8th) - but I would still rather have the CHA

Juntao112
2014-03-07, 05:18 AM
Pump Cha.

Incidentally, you may want to switch Con and Str.

Rejusu
2014-03-07, 05:30 AM
If you're going melee you'd be better off putting your high score in strength rather than Dex. You won't be getting any bonus to your attack from Dex until you get weapon finesse and you have to burn a feat and limit your weapon selection to do so. But frankly I'd recommend putting it in constitution instead. Buffs and war dance will allow you to be competent in melee and a better con score will help you survive it. Charisma is your most important stat so definitely max that, especially over your dex. Charisma boosts your spellcasting, your war dance and all your most important skills.

I'd also consider rearranging your feats. Ditch weapon finesse and move up wardance. Maybe take it at three and HotS at 6 depending on what you want to be doing more of in the early levels (hitting things or buffing).

Tindragon
2014-03-07, 07:40 AM
Pump Cha.

Incidentally, you may want to switch Con and Str.

Agreed, and bump 1 to con at 4th. Then rest to CHR.

buffing, utili bards with ability to RolE play, and diplo, bluff through most social encounters is GREAT. There is one in the party I DM now, excellent RolE player with the stats where needed to back up the rolls when needed.