PDA

View Full Version : Detecting Lycanthropy

Rostenoc
2014-03-07, 09:20 AM
I'm running a Pathfinder game, and several of my PCs have been attacked by lycanthropes (wererats, specifically). Only one character failed their save to avoid the curse, but it got me wondering: How would they know? The only way to know for sure that someone DIDN'T become cursed is to wait for the full moon, or have a 12th+ caster remove disease or heal within 3 days of exposure, which isn't feasible in this case; the characters are only level 7, rescuing a town, so if there was a 12+ caster available, the town wouldn't need saving.
The next option is wolfsbane, which allows an additional save, but again, they can't know for a certainty that it worked, and past 3 days, they're SOL.
These are all fairly new players, so I don't expect them to metagame an answer. Is there an in-game reason to conclude you're curse-free before it's too late?

Telonius
2014-03-07, 09:44 AM
If you can find a Lupin (a race from Dragon Compendium) they get a Wisdom check to detect any lycanthrope within 30 feet.

Otherwise, yeah, it's pretty hard to tell. As far as I know, the usual method is to chain up anyone suspected of possible lycanthropy on the night of the full moon as a precautionary measure.

Xervous
2014-03-07, 09:45 AM
I'm running a Pathfinder game, and several of my PCs have been attacked by lycanthropes (wererats, specifically). Only one character failed their save to avoid the curse, but it got me wondering: How would they know? The only way to know for sure that someone DIDN'T become cursed is to wait for the full moon, or have a 12th+ caster remove disease or heal within 3 days of exposure, which isn't feasible in this case; the characters are only level 7, rescuing a town, so if there was a 12+ caster available, the town wouldn't need saving.
The next option is wolfsbane, which allows an additional save, but again, they can't know for a certainty that it worked, and past 3 days, they're SOL.
These are all fairly new players, so I don't expect them to metagame an answer. Is there an in-game reason to conclude you're curse-free before it's too late?

Part of the whole horror appeal of lycanthropy is in not knowing who has it until they sprout fur and claws and rip out their neighbors throat.

Rostenoc
2014-03-07, 09:51 AM
If you can find a Lupin (a race from Dragon Compendium) they get a Wisdom check to detect any lycanthrope within 30 feet.

Otherwise, yeah, it's pretty hard to tell. As far as I know, the usual method is to chain up anyone suspected of possible lycanthropy on the night of the full moon as a precautionary measure.

Playing this pretty close to core books, so no dice on exotic races like that.
As for chaining anyone up, that guarantees the player in question becomes a wererat for good, which dodges the original issue.

And then as for the appeal of the unknown horror, that's great and all, until a player's character is essentially ruined because they have an unremovable curse. If it happens, fine, but I'm trying to figure out if there's any way for them to see it coming/have any way to head it off, so I can at least say it was preventable, they just happened to fail.

Walkwalk
2014-03-07, 10:02 AM
Playing this pretty close to core books, so no dice on exotic races like that.
As for chaining anyone up, that guarantees the player in question becomes a wererat for good, which dodges the original issue.

And then as for the appeal of the unknown horror, that's great and all, until a player's character is essentially ruined because they have an unremovable curse. If it happens, fine, but I'm trying to figure out if there's any way for them to see it coming/have any way to head it off, so I can at least say it was preventable, they just happened to fail.

Suggest it to them. As in, when the infected character is sleeping, describe visions flashing through his mind of tunnels and sewers and fur and the like. Get him to wake up in a cold sweat through the night. This is assuming those days haven't already passed. It's not exactly what happens in core, but it's not a huge leap either.

If they don't put two and two together from that, then there's nothing else to be done. From there, you can either figure out a way to get him to play with the rest of the group as a wererat, or get him to roll a new character.

Yogibear41
2014-03-07, 10:03 AM
becoming a lycanthrope doesn't ruin your character, especially in pathfinder where they don't even have to worry about a LA or animal hit die.

Telonius
2014-03-07, 10:14 AM
A cure (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/lycanthrope.htm) is still possible for afflicted lycanthropes, even if it's been a few days:

The only other way to remove the affliction is to cast remove curse or break enchantment on the character during one of the three days of the full moon. After receiving the spell, the character must succeed on a DC 20 Will save to break the curse (the caster knows if the spell works). If the save fails, the process must be repeated.

So, while it's going to be a pain to remove it, it doesn't wreck the character forever. Remove Curse is a 3rd-level spell, so any Cleric5 can do it; and there are lots of ways to boost a Will save.

(Did a bit of extra research on Pathfinder to see that the Lycanthropy curse doesn't have a cure listed, which means it can only be cured by Remove Curse. So yes, it can be removed).

Inevitability
2014-03-07, 10:19 AM
The players pick up a rumor about a powerful spell that can detect lycanthropy.

It'd be like this: (based on detect undead)

Detect Lycanthropy

Level: Cleric 2, Druid 2, Paladin 2, Sorcerer/Wizard 2
Components: V, S, M/DF
Casting Time: 1 full-round action
Range: 60 ft.
Area: Cone-shaped emanation
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute/level
Saving Throw: Will negates, see text
Spell Resistance: No

You detect lycanthropy in the target. The amount of information revealed depends on how long you study a particular area.

1st round:
Presence or absence of lycanthropes or creatures infected with lycanthropy.

2nd round:
Number of lycanthropes or creatures infected with lycanthropy in the area and their location.

3rd round:
The exact kind of lycanthropes in the area, per detected creature. (Like werewolf or wererat) If the target has been infected by lycanthropy, you learn what kind of lycanthrope it will turn into.

Lycanthropic creatures that aren't in hybrid or animal form can make a saving throw to avoid being detected by the spell. The creature has to be aware of its lycanthropy to do so.

Arcane Material Component: A bit of fur from a lycanthropic creature, which turns to ash when the spell is cast.

Lord Vukodlak
2014-03-07, 02:56 PM
becoming a lycanthrope doesn't ruin your character, especially in pathfinder where they don't even have to worry about a LA or animal hit die.

Having your alignment change and becoming an NPC while in the transformed state kinda hurts. In fact the description of the in the core rule book says "under the DM's control"
So point of fact lycanthropy does ruin your character because it ceases to be yours.

(Did a bit of extra research on Pathfinder to see that the Lycanthropy curse doesn't have a cure listed, which means it can only be cured by Remove Curse. So yes, it can be removed).

Actually a cure is listed, a remove disease or heal spell cast withing 3 days of infection. Or consuming wolfs bane will give you a second saving throw.(this can be done at anytime). Remove curse isn't listed as a cure for lycanthropy in pathfinder and many have concluded that the spell has no effect.

Suteinu
2014-03-07, 03:19 PM
Get a Ranger who has lycanthropes as a favored enemy, then have him cast Detect Favored Enemy (Spell Compendium).

Telonius
2014-03-07, 03:28 PM
Actually a cure is listed, a remove disease or heal spell cast withing 3 days of infection. Or consuming wolfs bane will give you a second saving throw.(this can be done at anytime). Remove curse isn't listed as a cure for lycanthropy in pathfinder and many have concluded that the spell has no effect.

That's listed under the monster entry, here (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/templates/lycanthrope). Under the Curse entry, here (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/afflictions/curses/lycanthropy-werewolf), there's no "Cure" heading. Same with the list of curses here (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/afflictions/curses). I'm not completely sure which one would be the primary rule there; or whether the cure method in the monster entry is intended to replace or be in addition to the regular method of removing a curse.

Lord Vukodlak
2014-03-07, 03:36 PM
Get a Ranger who has lycanthropes as a favored enemy, then have him cast Detect Favored Enemy (Spell Compendium).

Couple problems with that, one tracking down a ranger with that specific a favored enemy may take longer than a month, he'd also need to be a high enough level to cast the spell.

Two this is pathfinder and thus materials from a 3.5 book might not exist.

Psyren
2014-03-07, 04:08 PM
All lycanthropes have the shapechanger subtype, so Discern Shapechanger will reveal them without fail. You'll pick up some false positives along the way like changelings or succubi but otherwise this is pretty foolproof.

Rostenoc
2014-03-07, 05:31 PM
I finally found what seems to be a conclusive answer, at least as far as making this problem reversible.
"Afflictions without a cure entry can only be cured through powerful spells, such as neutralize poison and remove curse."
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/afflictions
Just about every description of lycanthropy in Pathfinder is either incomplete in this regard, or contradictory, but this seems like the best solution.

Anxe
2014-03-07, 06:39 PM
The SRD has a couple handy-dandy features of becoming a lycanthrope that make it easy to detect if someone is afflicted.

Lycanthropic Empathy (Ex)
In any form, lycanthropes can communicate and empathize with normal or dire animals of their animal form. This gives them a +4 racial bonus on checks when influencing the animal’s attitude and allows the communication of simple concepts and (if the animal is friendly) commands, such as "friend," "foe," "flee," and "attack."

Low-Light Vision (Ex)
A lycanthrope has low-light vision in any form.

Scent (Ex)
A lycanthrope has the scent ability in any form.

So if they're suddenly getting along with animals, can see in the dark, or have an enhanced sense of smell, they are probably afflicted (Or just a gnome because they also get all of those abilities in some form).

As for a cure... You're doomed.