PDA

View Full Version : Wizard spells

maniacalmojo
2014-03-07, 12:08 PM
Hey so my girlfriend is new to playing and did not like her first charecter and wanted to be a spell-caster so i made her a arcane hirophant cause it would be something she could have fun with (lots of spells and big animal buddy)

I know a wizard CAN get all the spells he wants but starting off he only gets a few and you have to scribe the rest (i think) Anyone mind explaining this to me?

The Trickster
2014-03-07, 12:11 PM
A wizard will need to scribe any extra spells he wants, but his class does say that he gets spells in his book at every level, regardless if he has scrolls for them.

A wizard begins play with a spellbook containing all 0-level wizard spells (except those from her prohibited school or schools, if any; see School Specialization, below) plus three 1st-level spells of your choice. For each point of Intelligence bonus the wizard has, the spellbook holds one additional 1st-level spell of your choice. At each new wizard level, she gains two new spells of any spell level or levels that she can cast (based on her new wizard level) for her spellbook. At any time, a wizard can also add spells found in other wizards’ spellbooks to her own.

Segev
2014-03-07, 12:12 PM
At first level, a wizard starts with all core-book 0th level spells scribed in his spellbook, as well as 3+(int mod) 1st level spells. Any spell in his spellbook, a wizard can prepare when he does so at the start of each day.

As he levels up, he adds 2 new spells of any level he can cast (including the newly-available level of spells on odd levels - e.g. 2nd level spells at level 3 wizard, 5th level spells at 9th level wizard, etc.) to his spellbook for free. It's assumed he has been working them out for a while and has finally got complete notes and instructions for preparing them.

At any time he finds another spellbook or a scroll, he may spend 100 gp per page (one page per spell level) to copy a spell into his own spellbook. I believe there ARE rules for preparing spells out of another wizard's book, but I don't recall them and they're not friendly.

Scribing a spell from a spellbook just costs the listed gold and pages from his existing spellbook. Scribing a spell from a scroll into a spellbook destroys the scroll, however. So the scroll becomes an additional cost to that method. Still, it's usually worth it, as having the spell in the spellbook means it's re-usable.

maniacalmojo
2014-03-07, 12:40 PM
Thanks i know there was a thing somewhere i just could not find it.

Belkarseviltwin
2014-03-07, 12:51 PM
I believe there ARE rules for preparing spells out of another wizard's book, but I don't recall them and they're not friendly.

You can only do it with a spell you already know (as in, your own spellbook contains or has contained that spell). It also requires a Spellcraft check with a DC of 15 plus the spell level, in addition to the check (DC 20 plus spell level) to decipher a spell in another wizard's book.

More detail here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/arcaneSpells.htm#arcaneMagicalWritings)

So, basically, if a wizard finds another wizard's spellbook, they can (with a Spellcraft check) use any spells from it that are in their own spellbook- presumably this is pointless unless the wizard's own spellbook has been lost or destroyed. Any "new" spells (that weren't in their spellbook). they can't use until they copy them out themselves.