PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Controlling Dragons?

Walk Hard
2014-03-07, 02:05 PM
Just an idea that I have been playing with - What sort of methods would you suppose a lesser creature might use to control a dragon?

I am looking to have my players possibly encounter one but would prefer it not to be the Big bad of the area, more like a "glorified pet" of the locals, and this is what I am struggling with a little bit, as I feel like simply saying that the dragon is their friend is a cop out.

Any suggestions are welcome :smallsmile:

Red Fel
2014-03-07, 02:19 PM
I can see several methods. One, for example, is symbiosis. Say the dragon is somehow not completely capable of protecting its young. The locals have offered it an exchange - they care for its eggs, protecting and raising them, and in exchange the dragon protects them. (Not sure how it could protect a village but not its own eggs, but whatever.) Alternatively, the locals provide something for the dragon that it somehow cannot provide for itself - perhaps it needs some form of medicine only they can produce.

Another is coercion. As above with eggs, but the locals have absconded with the dragon's eggs and are holding them hostage. The dragon must comply or else lose its offspring. Similar method, the locals have some kind of magic object that either dominates the dragon or weakens it if it disobeys.

Third option, debt. Dragons are long-lived beings with long memories. Perhaps an ancestor of the village saved the dragon when it was a juvenile, and now it protects the village until such time as its debt is repaid.

Flickerdart
2014-03-07, 02:34 PM
Dragons are proud creatures, but they are also lazy. The locals could pay it a token tribute, make it easy for him not to have to interfere in the village's affairs, and then fan that pride - surely it would be unbecoming of the dragon if his village was beset by bandits, or if the village next door was wealthier, or if the local lord taxed the villagers so much that they couldn't afford to pay the dragon's tribute anymore.

Alternatively, a third party could have compelled the dragon - for instance, a passing wizard bound it with geas to protect the village with some especially clever wording that gets around the days/CL limit by making it a task the dragon can technically complete through his own actions. Or perhaps the dragon, himself being very clever, has subverted the command in such a way that he does not actually have to go and do it, but must defend this village as the cost.

Or it could just be very simple - dragons breed with everything, he found a woman he likes, and is protecting the village for her. She can be as enamored or manipulative of the dragon as you like. A dragon that thinks in longer terms might be waiting for an appropriate mate to be born - he's spied a promising bloodline and needs to ensure the safe birth of that girl. This is a great opportunity to put in some prophecy - the kind that's so far off that whether or not the future in your campaign world is fixed isn't an issue.

Azreal
2014-03-08, 03:33 AM
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/artifacts/major-artifacts/orbs-of-dragonkind

Someone had to post these.

Jay R
2014-03-08, 12:27 PM
It is with satisfaction bordering on glee that I point out almost the only area in which original Dungeons and Dragons had rules covering something not covered in later editions:

Subduing Dragons: Any attack may be to subdue rather than to kill, but this intent must be announced before melee begins. When intent to subdue is announced hits scored upon the Dragon are counted as subduing rather than killing points. Each round of melee the number of points scored in hits is ratioed over the total number the Dragon has (hit point total), the hits obtained being stated as a percentile of the total possible, i.e. 12%, 67%, etc. The percentile dice are then rolled to determine if the Dragon has been subdued. A roll equal to or less than the percentage of hits already obtained means the Dragon is subdued. For example:

A "Very Old", 11 Hit Dice Red Dragon is encountered asleep in its cavernous lair. Three fighters creep in and strike to subdue. All three hit scoring respectively 2,3, and 6 points, or 11 points total. 11 ratioed over 66 (the number of hit points the Dragon can absorb before being killed or in this case subdued) is 1/6th or 17%. The referee checks to determine if the Dragon is subdued and rolls over 17 on the percentile dice. The Dragon is not subdued, and a check is then made to see whether he will bite or use his breath weapon during the second melee round. The result indicates he will breathe. The attackers strike again and once more all hit for a total of 12 points. The Dragon breathes and as none make their saving throws the attackers are all killed for they take 66 points of damage from Dragon fire. Subsequently, the referee rolls 01 on the percentile dice (any roll up to 34 would have indicated success) indicating that the attackers survived they would have subdued the Red Dragon that turn.

Not more than eight man-sized creatures can attempt to subdue any one Dragon.

Value of Subdued Dragons: Subdued Dragons can be sold on the open market (going out of existence in the game) for from 500 to 1,000 Gold Pieces per hit point it can take. Thus, the Red Dragon in the above example would be worth from 33,000 to 66,000 Gold Pieces. Offers are determined by the referee merely by rolling a six-sided die to see if the offer will be 500 (die 1) 600 (die 2), etc. Gold Pieces. Of course the character or characters who subdued the Dragon could keep it in their own service or sell it to other players for whatever they
could get.

Length of Subdual: A subdued Dragon will remain in that state until such time as an opportunity presents itself to escape or kill its master presents itself, but as long as the master is in a commanding position it will not attempt either course.

NikitaDarkstar
2014-03-08, 09:12 PM
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/artifacts/major-artifacts/orbs-of-dragonkind

Someone had to post these.

You could base an entire campaign on those things. o.o

Crossblade
2014-03-08, 09:33 PM
You could base an entire campaign on those things. o.o

I have. Solo campaign with my ex years ago. Also included the ritual from Races of Dragon that changes a half dragon's type.
A big bad that wants to control all dragons everywhere is a serious threat.

NikitaDarkstar
2014-03-08, 09:34 PM
I have. Solo campaign with my ex years ago. Also included the ritual from Races of Dragon that changes a half dragon's type.
A big bad that wants to control all dragons everywhere is a serious threat.

I was thinking the same thing... especially after seeing some mind-flayer/dragon horror in the demotivational thread...