PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]hand/throwingaxe D-Wield halfling?

The Shadowdove
2014-03-07, 04:02 PM
Our group is starting a new campaign next Monday and my brother would like to
Dual wield handaxes / be able to chuck them if need be.

He is a halfling...so cool throwing bonuses I suppose?

So far he's got

15 str
19 Dex
14 con

Fighter
1- two weapon fighting, weapon finesse
2- quick draw

What kind of feats, weapons , and multi classes could boost either his damage or dual wielding capabilities ?

Thanks a dozen everyone!

My group has had so much help from these forums lately. It rocks!

Half of the advice we receive is things we've never heard of and never would have known existed if we had looked.

-Dove

Edit:

Thanks.

All published 3.5 books are go.

Optimator
2014-03-07, 06:34 PM
You should get in the habit of listing what sources are available so people don't give you advice you can't use.

If the ToB is in play a Warblade/Bloodstorm Blade is cool. Specialize in Tiger Claw and have the luxury of being great in melee as well as at a range.

Look into Scout as well. Easy source of bonus damage, as it's difficult to do in 3.5 D&D with throwing weapons. A Scout/Master Thrower is quite playable.

Is the throwing going to be tertiary or a core concept? Depending on what level you plan on getting to you could just do a bog-standard Sneak-Attack dual-wielder and throw in an emergency or at the beginning of combat.

Jeff the Green
2014-03-07, 07:07 PM
What's his Wisdom? If it's decent, and especially if those fighter levels aren't set in stone, consider psychic warrior. There are two main advantages here: the soul bound weapon ACF and Telekinetic Boomerang.

Soul bound weapon lets you manifest a special version of call weaponry: it automatically gains enhancement bonuses and you can augment it to get new special abilities each time you call it. For example, Bane (whatever you're fighting), ghost touch when you're up against incorporeal creatures, and any number of other situational things. This will also, notably, let him only pay for his offhand weapon; one of the traditional challenges with TWF is that you have to pay twice as much to keep your weapons up to snuff.

Psychokinetic Boomerang is a power in CPsi that gives your weapon the returning property, but, importantly, also makes it return immediately after throwing. This is important because after you get 6 BAB you'll be making iteratives, and without that or QuickDraw and a bunch of spares you're out of luck. Check out this build (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15401949&postcount=47) I submitted to Zinc Saucier for more ideas.

Personally if I were making a TWF throwing build it would be Strength-based with either a dip in Ranger or martial monk or only enough Dexterity to get TWF, then psiwar, getting Brutal Throw and Power Throw, but that path is mostly precluded by going with halfling.

The Shadowdove
2014-03-08, 01:30 AM
What kind of two-weapon fighting feats stand out?

Nihilarian
2014-03-08, 10:19 AM
The Halfling Rogue Substitution Levels from Races of the Wild gives you an extra d6 of Sneak Attack damage if you use thrown weapons.

Master Thrower (Complete Warrior) is pretty solid.

Targeteer (Dragon Magazine 310) and the ACF from Drow of the Under dark are pretty good too.

hemming
2014-03-08, 01:04 PM
I might consider thrown weapons be a thing he can do rather than the thing he optimizes - but I think it would mean not being able to optimize any one thing as well, because you have to sacrifice feats to get there

One of the most fun characters I've played was something like Halfling 3 fighter/5 wizard/1 spellsword/5 abjurant champion

TWF w/ thrown weapons was something he could do - but not the only thing

This was a game without a whole lot of sourcebooks (no TOB, etc, etc) - so I'm sure you could do better

Darrin
2014-03-08, 05:31 PM
What kind of two-weapon fighting feats stand out?

If he has rogue levels, Craven and Staggering Strike ASAP. After that, I tend to focus on Combat Reflexes -> Double Hit (Miniatures Handbook).

TWF OffHandbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15034585).

hemming
2014-03-08, 07:52 PM
You could also do the whole swift/hunter thing: http://dictummortuum.blogspot.com/2011/09/swift-hunters-handbook.html

Which does make an awesome TWF thrown weapon build