PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Spike's Magical Fowl Compendium [PEACH]

spikeof2010
2014-03-07, 04:56 PM
Oh, boy, my first topic here.

Jeez.

Anywho, I have a friend of mine who's obsessed with chickens, so I decided to create a few magical items related to it.

Amulet of Fowl Language: This White Gold Amulet has a ruby chicken embedded in the center of it. Once a day, the wearer can turn any corporeal opponent into a chicken for 5 minutes.The opponent retains its own hit points and can understand all languages it had but cannot speak. Otherwise, it appears to be a normal chicken. In addition, the amulet allows the wearer to understand any bird, but not magical creatures.

Moderate transmutation; CL 10; Craft Wondrous Item; baleful polymorph, speak with animals; price 8,800 gp

Clucker's Cup: Everyday, the user may use a Diplomancy Check (DC 20) on this cup to manage to take an egg out of it's limitless supply of eggs. Each egg grants +2 to all Save DCs to Transmution spells that day. This effect does not stack. [ Stacks with Amulet of the Pecker ]

Amulet of the Pecker:This copper feather allows you to speak with chickens. Tame chickens will begin with an attitude of friendly while wild chickens are indifferent. +2 to all diplomacy checks relating to chickens.

Goggles of the Fowl: Up to 3 hours a day, the wearer of these Green Glass glasses gain the ability to polymorph himself into a chicken. After 3 hours, you immediately are dispelled of your polymorph spell. He also gains a +1 spot check bonus and a +2 spot check bonuses to spot chickens.

Fowl Smelling Bracelet: This bronze bracelet, when worn, gives off a foul odor of a chicken coop. You gain a +4 enhancement bonus on all intimidate checks but -4 penalty on all bluff checks.

Crimson Chicken Leg: When this iron chicken leg is soaked in blood, it turns the one who "donated" the blood's legs into very small chicken legs. It's speed is decreased by 10 ft and suffers a -2 penalty to STR on any check involving your puny legs. This effect lasts for an hour.

Cape of Fowled Flight: (Thanks, Domriso!) It is a feathery, white tattered cape. As a standard action, the wearer can activate the cape to turn his arms into a pair of chicken wings. In this form, fall damage is reduced by 30 ft and gain a +4 bonus on Jump checks. However in this form you suffer a -6 DEX penalty with any check using your arms and you suffer from a -4 STR penalty. This item takes a full round to deactivate and can be used at will.

Bag of Endless Chicken Feed: This burlap sack seems to be always full of chicken feed.

Feather Ball: When this small ball of feathers is thrown at the grown, it summons a small chicken to fight for you.

Mystical Eggs:(Credit to Rephath!) Hidden by dungeon-dwelling chickens, no two of these eggs look the same. The chickens hide their eggs to keep them safe, not having a need to keep them warm. The eggs might be striped or spotted or plain or have any of numerous other patterns, and they're always colorful. In a new dungeon room, roll to search the room. The better the roll the more you get. Roll a d20 and to determine the found egg's random effect. You can determine this with a use magical item roll.
{table=head] Level| Spells
1-3 | +2 to all spot checks for 30 minutes.
4 | Heal 1d6 Damage
5-7 | Deal 1d6 fire damage
8 | Functions as Hero's Feast
9-13 | The egg relocates within 30 ft of the user.
14 - 18 | The egg dispels all magical effects on the user
19 | The egg is very potent (Roll twice, ignoring any 19 or 20 rolls)
20 | The egg contains another egg in it[/table]

Golden Feather: This gold coated feather lets you ignore fall damage up to 5 times. It is triggered when about to take fall damage.

Egghead's Helmet: This cracked egg helm functions as a +1 Adamantine Full Plate Helm that lets the user cast True Seeing 1/day and Detect Magic at will.

Spikebird: This small figurine of a walking bird head allows the user to throw it on the floor in order to cover it in spikes. They are effectively caltrops.

Iron Nest: This nest made of iron straws always has a fertilized egg at the beginning of the day. After 3 days of incubation, a small chick hatches. It grows up within 7 days.

Egg of Good Luck: This golden colored egg grants a +2 luck bonus on saving throws vs. Transmutation spells.

Faint evocation; CL 5th; Craft Wondrous Item, divine favor; Price 2,000 gp.

qazzquimby
2014-03-07, 06:53 PM
Weapons and armour forged out of chickens? The items should still be alive, feathered, and clucking.

I'm unsure of cost, but an item that produces chickens similar to a decanter of endless water.

Polymorph self into chicken form.

Speak with chickens.

Target a single chicken to make it explode?

Communicate telepathically and/or see through the eyes of chickens within a radius.

Grant people or obkects long chicken legs (like the witches house in some fairy tale). This one is sketchy.

An egg which hatches into a powerful battle-chicken, with strength depending on how well it was sat on as an egg?

spikeof2010
2014-03-07, 07:02 PM
I N F I N I T E C H I C K E N S

I can't see any exploit at all with that.

qazzquimby
2014-03-07, 07:43 PM
Any exploit involving infinite chickens will be hilarious. I say it's worth it.

spikeof2010
2014-03-07, 07:50 PM
Any exploit involving infinite chickens will be hilarious. I say it's worth it.

This is the best saying ever

Domriso
2014-03-07, 08:09 PM
Oh, boy, my first topic here.

Jeez.

Anywho, I have a friend of mine who's obsessed with chickens, so I decided to create a few magical items related to it.

I, too, love chickens! Allow me to offer a critique!

Amulet of Fowl Lanuage: This White Gold Amulet has a ruby chicken embedded in the center of it. 3 times a day, the wearer may use Baleful Polymorph at CL 18 to turn any opponent into a chicken.

I would make this once per day, and maybe add a duration. That's a really nasty item otherwise.

Clucker's Cup: Everyday, the user may use a Diplomancy Check (DC 15) on this cup to manage to take an egg out of it's limitless supply of eggs. Each egg grants +2 to all Save DCs to Alteration spells that day. This effect does not stack.

Make the +2 bonus an enhancement bonus and call it a night (it already doesn't stack). Also, did you mean Transmutation spells? Finally, a DC 15 Diplomacy check is a pittance. I'd either make the check higher or make it variable, such as, if the check is less than 10 the egg imposes a penalty, if it's 15 it grants a small bonus (+1), if it's 20 it grants a +2 bonus, if it's 30 it grants a +3 bonus, and so on.

I'd also change the wording to be "Once per day, the wielder may attempt a Diplomacy check to remove an egg from the cup.

Amulet of the Pecker:This copper feather allows you to speak with chickens. Tame chickens will begin with an attitude of friendly while wild chickens are indifferent. +2 to all diplomacy checks relating to chickens.

Does the bonus to Diplomacy count for the Clucker's Cup?

Goggles of the Fowl: Up to 3 hours a day, the wearer of these green glasses gain the ability to polymorph himself into a chicken. He also gains a +1 spot check bonus and a +2 spot check bonuses to spot chickens.

I'd make it grant a +2 Spot bonus all around, and a further +2 bonus to Spot to detect chickens (so a maximum of +4 to detect chickens).

How long does the polymorph last?

Fowl Smelling Bracelet: This bronze bracelet, when worn, gives off a foul odor of a chicken coop. You gain a +4 profane bonus on all intimidate checks but -4 penalty on all bluff checks.

This would make more sense to impose a penalty on Diplomacy checks. Also, as profane bonuses are somewhat rare, this is a somewhat potent item. It seems more like it would be an enhancement bonus.

Crimson Chicken Leg: When this iron chicken leg is soaked in blood, it turns the donor of the blood very small chicken legs. It's speed is decreased by 5 ft and suffers a -2 penalty to CON but only takes 1d10 damage for every 20 feet fallen. This effect lasts for an hour.

This needs a major rewording. I like the effect, but it's hard to understand. I'd go with "This iron-wrought chicken leg smells strongly of copper. When soaked in the blood of a single creature, said creature has their legs transformed into chicken legs. The donor creatures' speed decreases by 5 feet, and the donor creature gains a -2 penalty to their Constitution score. Further, the donor creature takes less damage while falling. For every 20 feet the donor creature falls, they take only 1d10 points of damage.

Now, I'd consider some changes. First, the -5 feet penalty is more of an annoyance than anything, and this sounds like the fun effect of the item. I'd make it at least a 10 ft. penalty, and then remove the other effects. The penalty to Constitution is strange, unless it's supposed to be explained by the loss of blood, but that should be covered already. And the change in fall damage is kind of strange, as a chicken can descend slower because of their wings, not their legs.

Also, on the topic of blood, soaking the item in blood is a strange requirement, and is difficult to do for small creatures, but easier for larger ones. I'd maybe change the delivery method to something else? A touch attack maybe?

I'd make another item, perhaps called the Cape of Fowled Flight, which can, as a standard action, transform the wearer's arms into chicken wings. When in chicken-wing form, the wearer reduces their fall damage by 30 feet. That gives the advantage of fall damage reduction without requiring remembering new rules, like the 1d10-per-20-feet change.

Other ideas for items:

A small caged ornament of a chicken which can be used to summon a horde of chickens. Probably a one-time item.
A figurine of power which summons a massive, Large sized chicken.
A different figurine of power which summons a horrible, multidimensional chicken (Large Chicken with the Pseudonatural template added).
Just for fun, a third figurine of power which summons a Medium Fire-Breathing Chicken.
An endless bag of chicken feed.
A Pied-Piper-like amulet which makes the wearer followed by any chicken which seems the wearer. Could be hilarious.
A dangerous-looking sigil written on a wooden board which, when activated, causes all chickens in a mile radius to immediately die and be raised as Zombies.

I mean, really, the possibilities are endless.

spikeof2010
2014-03-07, 08:33 PM
I appreciate the support the thread has been given! It is my first thread. :>

Rephath
2014-03-07, 09:18 PM
Fun items. Getting two or three of them together would be awesome.

A golden chicken feather that, when stuck in a chicken allows it to carry much more weight, letting you use it as a sort of parachute to glide to other areas as it flaps furiously. On the advice of my lawyers I have never played any Legend of Zelda games.

Chicken launcher: a ballista that can fire chickens.

Mystical Eggs: Hidden by dungeon-dwelling chickens, no two of these eggs look the same. The chickens hide their eggs to keep them safe, not having a need to keep them warm. The eggs might be striped or spotted or plain or have any of numerous other patterns, and they're always colorful. In a new dungeon room, roll to search the room. The better the roll the more you get. Roll a d20 and to determine the found egg's random effect. You can determine this with a use magical item roll. Some suggestions:

Heal 2 damage
Inflict 2d4 damage of a particular type. This is a simple thrown weapon.
Provide an excellent source of protein and nutrients after being boiled for 2 minutes.
Restore use of a 1st level spell
inflict a status effect

The chicken that lays the golden eggs.

Something that turns eggs into something else.

In general, you could benefit from some more egg-themed ideas.

spikeof2010
2014-03-07, 09:45 PM
Rephath, added in some of your ideas. Thanks mate.

Mavakith
2014-03-08, 04:07 AM
argh.. chickens..

you might want to add the specific item creation feats used to make the items.

and spells required, and gold / xp cost to craft them.

how much can i buy the items for?

btw, try and make a race of PC chicken-folk, complete with racial specific weapons such as razor talons, puncturing peak and slashing wings :smallbiggrin:

i'd love to give more input, but i have chickenphobia.. *shivers*

so i'm gonna retreat now.. :smalleek:

spikeof2010
2014-03-08, 03:47 PM
argh.. chickens..

you might want to add the specific item creation feats used to make the items.

and spells required, and gold / xp cost to craft them.

how much can i buy the items for?

btw, try and make a race of PC chicken-folk, complete with racial specific weapons such as razor talons, puncturing peak and slashing wings :smallbiggrin:

i'd love to give more input, but i have chickenphobia.. *shivers*

so i'm gonna retreat now.. :smalleek:

You cannot outrun the chickens. :smallamused:

Also, sadly I'm not experienced enough to list the requirements to making these. If anyone comes up with them, I'd be glad to add them in.

Debihuman
2014-03-08, 04:24 PM
The items are cute but should match appropriate spells and caster levels

spikeof2010
2014-03-08, 04:44 PM
The items are cute but should match appropriate spells and caster levels

If you can suggest tweaks, I'd be glad to add them.

spikeof2010
2014-03-08, 11:53 PM
Sorry for double posting, but can anyone make a list of vaguely chicken monsters in various WotC published books?

Debihuman
2014-03-09, 03:04 AM
Here is the updated Amulet of Fowl Language

Amulet of Fowl Language: This White Gold Amulet has a ruby chicken embedded in the center of it. Once a day, the wearer can turn any corporeal opponent into a chicken for 5 minutes.The opponent retains its own hit points and can understand all languages it had but cannot speak. Otherwise, it appears to be a normal chicken. In addition, the amulet allows the wearer to understand any bird, but not magical creatures.

Moderate transmutation; CL 10; Craft Wondrous Item; baleful polymorph, speak with animals; price 8,800 gp

Egg of Good Luck: This golden colored egg grants a +2 luck bonus on saving throws vs. Transmutation spells.

Cockatrice is based on chicken. I have statted up some magical chickens [dire fighting chicken, fiendish dire fighting chicken, and dire fighting rooster] as well. You can see them if you click on my creations in my signature.

Debby

spikeof2010
2014-03-09, 04:14 AM
Here is the updated Amulet of Fowl Language

Cockatrice is based on chicken. I have statted up some magical chickens [dire fighting chicken, fiendish dire fighting chicken, and dire fighting rooster] as well. You can see them if you click on my creations in my signature.

Debby

Added! And I'll try looking at yours later

Debihuman
2014-03-09, 09:27 AM
Hmm. I remember a eversheep I did. I think I could switch it to chickens.

Yllarius' Everchickens
Conjuration
Level: Sor/Wiz 3
Components: V, S, M,
Casting Time: 1 round
Range: 50 ft.
Duration: 1 min/level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: None

When cast, Yllarius' everchickens summons a normal-looking chicken within 50 feet of the caster. This chicken cannot be summoned in a container that is too small for it, nor can it be summoned outside of the caster's sight. The chicken acts like a normal chicken but will never stray far from the caster. The caster, as a free action, can redirect the chicken. The chicken will not head straight in that direction, however, but wander over there in 1d4 rounds.

When struck or otherwise reduced to 0 hit points, an everchicken disappears in a puff of smoke, and two everchickens reappear with a small poof at the same location, or if it's previous location is now occupied, as close to it's previous location as possible. An everchicken may appear in the air, but takes no falling damage.

If struck by an area of effect attack or spell, As many everchickens will appear to fill in the entire radius of the area of effect, including height. Everchickens that are created on top of each other, tumble outwards, treated as a rockslide. Creatures hit by the chickenslide take appropriate non-lethal damage. The caster may dismiss all or any number of chickens as a free action, the chickens may also be dismissed by pulling on their tails and saying 'Rub a dub dub, thanks for the grub' in which case a small egg appears for the duration of the spell. (Knowledge: Arcana DC 15)

Everchickens are immune all mind-affecting spells, they cannot be polymorphed. They have 1 HP, and 10 AC, they will not attack, even when provoked.

Components: A feather from a chicken

A chickenslide should be like an avalanche but with the following changes:

A chickenslide can be spotted from as far away as 1d10×500 feet by a character who makes a DC 20 Spot check, treating the chickenslide as a Colossal creature. If all characters fail their Spot checks to determine the encounter distance, the chickenslide moves closer to them, and they automatically become aware of it when it closes to half the original distance. It’s easy to hear a chickenslide coming even if you can’t see it due to the frenzied clucking of the everchickens. Usually no Listen check is necessary.

A chickenslide consists of two distinct areas: the bury zone (in the direct path of the falling everchickens) and the slide zone (the area the everchickens spread out to encompass). Characters in the bury zone always take damage from the chickenslide; characters in the slide zone may be able to get out of the way. Characters in the bury zone take 4d6 points of damage, or half that amount if they make a DC 15 Reflex save. They are subsequently buried (see below). Characters in the slide zone take 2d4 points of damage, or no damage if they make a DC 15 Reflex save. Those who fail their saves are buried.

Buried characters take 1d4 points of nonlethal damage per minute. If a buried character falls unconscious, he or she must make a DC 15 Constitution check or take 1d4 points of lethal damage each minute thereafter until freed or dead.

A typical chickenslide has a width of 20 feet, from one edge of the slide zone to the opposite edge. The bury zone in the center of the chickenslide is half as wide as the chickenslide’s full width. A chickenslide advances at a speed of 60 feet per round.

A falling chicken causes 1d6 points of damage for every 60 feet it falls, if it lands on a character below it.

Debby

qazzquimby
2014-03-09, 12:43 PM
I believe this works, but it would be much easier with gramarie.

Make a vertical tube with the width of 10ft chicken and a height equal to 10ft * half the spellcasting level of your followers, or any multiple thereof. Slave labour works, as does the use of spells such as wall of stone. At the top of the tube there should be a flexible curved area, so that the opening can be aimed in any direction, much like a bendy straw, and this area should have as little friction as possible.

Every 10ft * 1/2 follower's caster level, have a follower on a platform with the spell reverse gravity prepared as many times as possible. A team of spellcasters would be preferable.

Summon a single everchicken at the bottom of the tube, and have the first follower cast reverse gravity. As soon as the last chicken is about to leave the area of effect, repeat the casting. At the second and each additional segment, have the follower cast reverse gravity as soon as a single chicken enters the area.

Given enough length, this should serve as a long range, precision chicken launcher.

Doing some math, with a team of 20th level wizards with three segments and launched at 45 degrees, you should be able to launch 1920(number of chickens capable of fitting in the tube)*14(the number of times an object could fall from the bottom of the tube to the top in one minute)=26,880 chickens.

Though not raw, a realistic physics conversion given the chicken's velocity and weight, and factoring air resistance and terminal velocity, each chicken does 2d6 lethal damage. 53,760d6 total.

Debihuman
2014-03-09, 01:11 PM
So how do you make the tube? Also, note, the everchicken landing on someone does no damage unless the everchicken falls at least 60 feet and even then it only causes 1d6 points of damage. Also reverse gravity does not necessarily work on everchickens since they can fly albeit poorly.

Debby

qazzquimby
2014-03-09, 01:29 PM
I updated the previous post. The chicken's flying would probably not be a problem on the way up, but could slow the fall on the way down. Flapping is not factored in, as I didn't want to research chicken flight capabilities.

I also used my own physics system, which you might want to take a look at. It's as similar to both RAW and real physics as possible, and most of it has gone through a lot of tweaking. The upside is it gives more accurate values in extreme situations, the downside is that you need a calculator.

spikeof2010
2014-03-09, 01:44 PM
As dumb as this sounds. What is Gramarie? I've seen threads, but never got around to reading it. Mind summarizing it?:smallredface:

qazzquimby
2014-03-09, 02:23 PM
First, don't get the wrong impression from my above post. Gramarie is not at all mathy, unless you feel like adding in some advanced calculations like I usually do.

It's a subsystem allowing you to build and experiment with small components, in order to make big things. Instead of having all abilities small and compartmentalized, such as casting a spell that heals you, or buying a magic sword that does fire damage, it gives you base components, and let's you do with them as you will. With the right set of parts, virtually anything is possible.

If you want a lightsaber, put a piece of heat creating phlogiston inside a red filter that blocks the passage of heat, but allows all masses to move through it. Anything that moves through the filter will get seriously burned.

Want a laser powered by the faith of your zealot minions? Faith to energy transformer, energy to laser refractor.

Do you want to be an intelligent arm cannon? Breed a race of living tanks? Create your own plane and sculpt a world inside it? Invent the dnd equivalent of television, computers, and the internet? The more you learn, the more possibilities you see.
It's also got nukes and radiation, artificial intelligence, mind control that mimics programming, and portals (with the exploits that come with them).

It's also a world building tool, since a world with gramarie can be very different than a world without, and PC gramarists can make some big changes to the world.

Gramarie Compendium (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=317762)

spikeof2010
2014-03-09, 02:38 PM
By the gods, that sounds like my kind of system.

qazzquimby
2014-03-09, 04:13 PM
Oh, This (http://luduscarcerum.blogspot.ca/2011/05/chicken-infested.html).

Also if I have time I might build a chicken based class, but it would be good to get feedback before I waste time on a bad idea.

You have a pool of chicken followers, with maximum size scaling with level. As your chickens get kills, they gain xp. No experience is subtracted from the amount the party would gain, but the chicken gains an amount equal to whatever experience would be awarded to the party from that kill. Hopefully that makes sense. Chickens don't level up like normal creatures. As each chicken grows in power they gain either class levels, or abilities similar to class features, but toned down. Chickens have low health, low defenses, and a maximum life span of 1/4 class level, rounded up. You can lay up to as many eggs as you can control chickens each day, and a chicken hatches after the egg is sat upon for 8 hours.

Domriso
2014-03-09, 06:51 PM
As for chicken monsters, here's what I have off the top of my head:

Cockatrice - A giant monster chicken
Grell - Sort of chicken-like; imagine a chicken aberration

And.... that's all I got off the top of my head.