PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Shifter's Sorrow

Thurbane
2014-03-07, 06:55 PM
Hi all, I'm feeling a bit stupid and lazy.

Can someonehelp me reverse engineer the cost for Shifter’s Sorrow (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#shiftersSorrow)?

I'm trying to work out how much the +2d6 damage and will save to return to natural form would be worth on a normal (i.e. non-double) weapon, and one not of alchemical silver?

Shifter’s Sorrow
This +1/+1 two-bladed sword has blades of alchemical silver. The weapon deals an extra 2d6 points of damage against any creature with the shapechanger subtype. When a shapechanger or a creature in an alternate form (such as a druid using wild shape) is struck by the weapon, it must make a DC 15 Will save or return to its natural form.
Strong transmutation; CL 15th; Craft Arms and Armor, baleful polymorph; Price 12,780 gp; Cost 6,780 gp + 480 XP; Weight 10 lb.

Cheers - T
Yes yes, custom magic items = check with DM blah blah.

docnessuno
2014-03-07, 07:20 PM
+1 / +1 alchemical silver double sword: 4.560 gp

slightly modified shapechanger bane (DC 15 save instead of +2 enhancement bonus) +4.100 gp for each end.

Quite a bargain, considering a
+1 shapechanger bane / +1 shapechanger bane
alchemical silver double sword
would cost 16.560 gp

Edit: Ha! For once i'm the swordsage and not the swordsaged!

Afgncaap5
2014-03-07, 07:20 PM
Well, to start with an alchemically silvered masterwork double sword would be 100 + 300 + 180 gp for 580 gp off the base cost. 12,200 gp remains.

Beyond that, each blade of the sword would have a basic +1 enhancement to take another 4000 away from the price, putting it at 8200 remaining.

Either they decided that the final ability of the weapon (a not-quite-Bane damage effect against shapechangers, and a forced Will-save-or-change) either counted as a +2 bonus that got applied to the weapon as a whole instead of an individual blade (possibly resulting in an extra 200 gp price) or that those two effects, given their specificity, both count as extra +1 effects at roughly 4100 each instead of costing 6000 each (6k added to the 2k for the +1 bonus to make a full 8k). They might have decided to give the crafter a discount due to how very specific the weapon's targets are, and possibly due to some unnamed synergy bonus (alchemical silver fights werewolves + Bane vs. shapechangers = savings?).

I don't think it follows the rules exactly.

Edit: swordsaged.