PDA

View Full Version : I suck at roleplaying

Red Sky Knight
2007-02-01, 05:33 PM
It's true, I'm the guy that everyone hates (well according to the posts I've read). I just can't seem to get into the role.

It's not for want of trying, i truly do want to be better at the game I love so much, but I just can't get it. When NPCs ask me questions in character, I'm stumped, and usually just answer..."errr......yes...." or something equally as pitiful. Sometimes I know what i want my character to say, but cannot find the right words to say it, and end up stumbling clumsily, and painfully akwardly through the exchange, which invariably ends in "errr....yes...."

I consider myself reasonably intelligent, and like I said, I really do enjoy playing, but I really do need some advice on how to best roleplay my characters!

Indon
2007-02-01, 05:40 PM
...shyly?

If you're in college or somesuch, I'd recommend a semester or two of theatre/drama classes. You're not neccessarily a bad roleplayer, from your description of how you do things, but you may well be a bad actor, and a bit of acting proficiency really can make RP much more enjoyable (at least, in my opinion).

JadedDM
2007-02-01, 05:43 PM
Question: Do you generally roleplay in actual table-top games or do you do it online?

If it's a matter of shyness, you might want to consider practicing in some online games. You don't have to actually see any of the other players or the DM, and I personally find it easier to 'get into character' in this way.

oriong
2007-02-01, 05:44 PM
Well, many game groups are very forgiving if you want to avoid 'character acting' due to a lack of skill or just discomfort. Paraphrase responses rather than trying to talk 'in character' and try and think of your character as something seperate from you rather than trying to be your character.

Deus Mortus
2007-02-01, 05:48 PM
I suggest starting by just taking time and making up a conversation between you and an NPC, just write down your responses and take all the time you need, then when you're done with a conversation, just talk it through and try to put some emotion in it, you won't get it right right away, but just keep practicing that and you should easily become a better roleplayer.

BCOVertigo
2007-02-01, 05:55 PM
It's true, I'm the guy that everyone hates (well according to the posts I've read). I just can't seem to get into the role.

It's not for want of trying, i truly do want to be better at the game I love so much, but I just can't get it. When NPCs ask me questions in character, I'm stumped, and usually just answer..."errr......yes...." or something equally as pitiful. Sometimes I know what i want my character to say, but cannot find the right words to say it, and end up stumbling clumsily, and painfully akwardly through the exchange, which invariably ends in "errr....yes...."

I consider myself reasonably intelligent, and like I said, I really do enjoy playing, but I really do need some advice on how to best roleplay my characters!

I'm not an expert by any means, but maybe if your start out playing characters similar to yourself in personality you'll be more comfortable and when you're ready you can branch out. Seems to be working for me...

Dark Knight Renee
2007-02-01, 06:10 PM
Paraphrasing is a useful tool, I use it frequently, especially if the characters are discussing something with which I am not overly familiar, or when I'm playing characters with speech habits that I have a hard time working with (not even particularly noteworth habits, just not the same as mine).

It's hard to give advice on roleplaying. For me, it takes considerable imagination, and even though I've been roleplaying for years, I still get stumped if something comes up to which my character has no obvious in-character responce. NPC dialogue is usually the culprit, I'm afraid. Especially if the topic isn't something towards which the character has any stong feelings. Does your character hate goblins? That highly eccentic wizard, or the BBEG? Or maybe your SO/Family member is in danger? Those are easy enough, but if the dialogue is not so compelling, eh, not so easy.

In general, characters that wisecrack often are easier to handle as far as dialogue and speaking in character goes. Try that, as well, and see how it works out. Just remember to keep the character's wisecracking sufficiently in-game (OotS, for example, contains many rules jokes that your character should not be using!).

SpiderBrigade
2007-02-01, 06:14 PM
Yeah, I agree with oriong about the "character acting" thing. RP is just as satisfying if you just have a good idea of what your character is like, and say "Blackfeather says..." rather than trying to somehow "be" Blackfeather. Note that you can still go crazy with accents and emphasis, if you want. But it puts you at a remove, and therefore less "on the spot."

Plus, if you're fairly new to roleplaying, it's unfair to expect you to know exactly what Blackfeather "would do" in any situation. What you should be asking is, "what do I want Blackfeather to do?" It's more about what kind of character you want to create, rather than your ability to channel a hypothetical person. No one else knows better than you what Blackfeather is "really" like.

Of course, I may be a bit biased. In my book, speaking in character for a whole session is for larpers.

daggaz
2007-02-01, 07:09 PM
The best advice so far is to use the phrase, "Blackfeather says..." etc..

It seperates you from the difficulties of actually 'being' your character... which is a bit of an ego problem, and its our ego's that give us shyness as well. As it goes along, you will get more and more used to blackfeather and will be able to shape his persona through your ego.

Another good thing, if you are good at daydreaming, is to just try to daydream yourself as your character... just imagine you are that person and put yourself in some kind of situation and daydream it onwards... Do this alot. If you dont daydream alot, if you are a more 'down-to-earth' person, you may find this more or less difficult. Said people have a harder time at acting, but its not impossible, you can train yourself.

Another good thing, is to get just a teensy bit drunk (not too much!) and try playing with some friends. Make a game where, if you answer out of character, you have to take a drink. This makes it more fun, relieves stress, and strips away shyness, which you will remember in future, sober sessions.

And yeah, if you are in college, take some acting classes. You will have a great time and meet some very interesting people at the least.

Galathir
2007-02-01, 10:08 PM
Something that I have personally found helpful in roleplaying, is writing down my characters background, personality, traits, quirks, motivations, and other ideas on paper. I just created a level 10 Beguiler for a campaign and I spent about a week thinking over character ideas and eventually put them on paper. This gives you an opportunity to think about how your character thinks and acts thus saving you part of the trouble of coming up with something on the spot during an actual session. At least for my character, I had lots of ideas on how I wanted to play him, but actually putting things down on paper helped cement them and decide what I wanted.

Here is a short excert from my current character:

Weakness: Galin loses sight of what is really important and his sense of duty, honor, loyalty, and trust are nearly non-existent.
Fears: Greatest fear is becoming a victim and made to work against his will like so many of his own victims.
Secrets: Lots. He’s a beguiler.
Regrets: Sometimes wishes he was in a more reputable business and was in a position to actually trust people.
Feels Vulnerable When: Around people he can’t influence or people more mentally powerful than himself. Combat is often stressful, unless given some time to prepare and plot for it.
Pet Peeves: Politicians and people who put brawn before brains.
Conflicts: The desire to be successful without taking advantage of others, but at the same time not believing that complete honest truth is practical or even desirable in most situations.
Motivation: While he is motivated a little by greed, Galin is primarily interested in manipulating truth and changing the way people think about things. Twisting people’s words and infiltrating trusts and friendships not only leads to personal benefit, but in the long run can teach the victim some important lessons.
Priorities: Making money, vaunting his mental prowess, and seeking adventure.
Philosophy: One’s version of truth depends on the situation. No one really tells the truth all the time. White lies, deceptions, and subtle omissions are vital to the smooth running of a healthy society. Honesty is only a virtue up to a certain point. Galin tries to seek out those who have money and don’t know what to do with it. Galin can use the money, and views it as a small fee in return for providing the “client” with a valuable lesson and a little more common sense.
If granted one wish, what would it be: His private castle.
Goals and Hopes: Would one day like to be the leader of a small adventuring party and perhaps have a small permanent settlement to rule over.

Darkshade
2007-02-01, 10:40 PM
sometimes it helps when you are getting started, and you should ask your dm about this first to, but sometimes it helps when talking in character to pause after you are asked a question and think about what you want to say and WRITE IT DOWN, then read it to the DM, do that enough times and you will start to get more comfortable with it and start skipping the writing part and eventually the having to stop and think part too.

the other option is to play a mute who can only communicate through gestures and writing notes, it can be a REAL BLAST, specially in a Shadowrun game, and it makes you miss having the ability to speak to the point where you can get over your shyness through pure desire to not have to write anymore.

corran_132
2007-02-01, 11:24 PM
here are another couple of ideas, though they might not be as good as some of the ones above

1- if you are having trouble with a personality and thinking of what they might say, play a simplistic character for a while. A friend of mine once played a pyromaniac dwarf whom was kicked out of the mines for agression and lighting the coal stores on fire. despite the fact that, during diplomatic situations, he was quite a hindrance (quite like one halfling ranger, perhaps?) but it was always fun to have him set something on fire and have us try to explain to the nice officers of the law why we shouldn't be arrested.

2- a bit more on the creative side, but still useful in defining your character, it to write a short piece of fiction in which they are the protagonist. In this way, you can write in a 3rd person view about your character while thinking about something that they would do/say in a certain conversation.

Apart from that, the acting idea is quite a good one. Another good idea is the one said above where you think of the backstory for the character.

hope that helps

Dark Knight Renee
2007-02-01, 11:32 PM
One of my tactics is to visualize my characters are though they were characters in a book or, even better, a movie. However, I have a very good imagination, so your milage may differ...

And yes, keeping them seperate from 'you' is a good idea. Unless your DM objects, the "[character name] says so-and-so" method is ideal, and as a bonus it could help to keep OOC jokes clearly seperate from in-character talk. Likewise, when your character does something, say "[character name] does so-and-so" rather than "I do so-and-so".

Sir_Banjo
2007-02-01, 11:34 PM
Well, many game groups are very forgiving if you want to avoid 'character acting' due to a lack of skill or just discomfort. Paraphrase responses rather than trying to talk 'in character' and try and think of your character as something seperate from you rather than trying to be your character.

I've found this to be a great tool. It allows you to get across what you want to say with out adding "Well met friend, 'tis a strange day indeed to be wondering through these woods. How didst thou come to be here ... etc" and other quasi-medieval crap.

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-02-01, 11:45 PM
I hardly ever speak in a medieval dialect. I prefer to make something more modern for my characters. Though high fantasy may be based on medieval lore, the characters aren't necessarily trapped in the 1200's.

Thomas
2007-02-02, 12:43 AM
At my group, we all paraphrase, by default. "So-and-so greets you, introduces you to everyone present, and bids you to join them for dinner." "I ask them about the mountain." Et cetera.

And using thees and thous seems pointless unless you're going to use the rest of Middle English. ("An I wert an orgulous manne, I woulde smyte thee where thou dost stand!" "I am height Rupert!" etc.)

Anyway, it's a matter of creating habits for yourself. Think up some lines beforehand, and make sure you use them at some point. Just make a point to force yourself to roleplay to the same degree as the others (speaking IC, etc.), and it'll get easier and become habit eventually.

Saph
2007-02-02, 06:51 AM
It really is something you only learn by experience. I used to be terrible at it and always ended up hesitating and giving one-word answers to questions. Nowadays, I'm the one in my group who stays in character the most.

It helps a lot if you have a character you really, really like. Not a character with a story you really like or a set of abilities you really like, a character you really like and actually want to pretend to be. It usually takes people a while to come up with one of these, but as soon as you do, roleplaying becomes much easier and SO much more fun. :)

I find paraphrasing can help sometimes, but not always. It's more something I do when I can't be bothered to work through things in character. E.g. "I tell our boss that we'll take the job, then I get the details and tell him whatever will shut him up fastest so that we can leave and get on with the stupid mission."

- Saph

Person_Man
2007-02-02, 09:59 AM
Well, other people are giving some great advice. So here's my less useful advice that will probably incite people to yell at me, but here it goes:

Play Heroclix. Or Warhammer. Or Chess. Or a MMORPG. Or any other game that doesn't require so much roleplaying.

While D&D tends to be one of the most popular games, there are plenty of games which have much better combat systems, but much fewer roleplaying demands, if any. You'll probably have a much better time with them then D&D.

Having said that, if this is some sort of self improvement thing for you, then stick with it. But if your goal is just to have a good time with some friends playing a game, play a game that you're better at.

Shazzbaa
2007-02-02, 10:52 AM
I can't speak for the paraphrasing, that seems like a brilliant solution that I never would have thought of and could never really do. But if you do want to speak as your character at some point...

I'm not an expert by any means, but maybe if your start out playing characters similar to yourself in personality you'll be more comfortable and when you're ready you can branch out. Seems to be working for me...
I'm actually going to agree that this helps if you want to try and speak as your character more. All these people I talk to seem to think it's some kind of sin to play a character that's very similar to yourself, but it's not.

I have two roleplay characters currently. One of them is very much like me, only sarcastic and incompetant. She's easy to speak as, I just say what I want to say and be snarky about it if she's irritated.
And then I have my barbarian. While it's not hard to for me to figure out what he'd like to get across, it is hard for me to tone down my tendency to use complex words on every possible occasion when speaking as him, which makes him tend to stammer a bit as I try desperately to find a simpler word.

The character that you don't have to sit and think about "how would so-and-so say this?" will be easier to speak as, as will the character that doesn't make you sit there and think up words you don't normally use. If you're wanting to get more involved, and you want to try speaking as your character (perhaps after trying that paraphrasing thing for a while), then perhaps it would be a good idea to try a character who's not too unlike yourself.

Hyrael
2007-02-02, 01:14 PM
I too agree with the "Me" character Idea. My two favorite characters, Shannan Barluck and Hyrael the Dreamer, are idealized or alternate versions of myself. Shannan (rogue/sorceror, charm, curses, and acid/fire) is me if I had managed, years earlier, to grit my teeth and try to be social, and give up on this whole "academic" thing. He a dedicated cynic, with low-self esteem and contempt for everyone, particularly himself, and enjoys alcohol because it shuts up his guilt complex for a few prescious hours. Hyrael (Wizard/druid/arcane heirophant) is me as I would like to be, a brilliant and insightful student of the natural world, who pretends he doesnt need other people while at the same time is a show-off desperate for praise.
If you make a "me" character right, you can learn alot of things about yourself. But then, these characters were used in a Play-by-post.

gaymer_seattle
2007-02-03, 12:56 AM
wear some silly prop appropriate to your character. pinch your nose and talk in a squeaky voice. purposefully mis-use words. Do something that takes you out of yourself. acting (ie roleplaying) can be very stressful and intimidating, even with a small group at a table. especially in a small group at a table. you don't have glaring lights to hide your audience from your eyes. get do something that comfortable takes you out of your own identity. you'll feel less like you can be judged. after all "you" would never pinch your nose and talk in a squeaky voice in public

Deepblue706
2007-02-03, 02:52 AM
I have a friend who has similar problems.

First, I would suggest against paraphrasing what you want to communicate. While it gets you moving through the rough spots, you might not exactly be doing much to impress your fellow players, and in my opinion, are only making sure you will make no greater a display in the future.

How to find the right words, and to roleplay "correctly" in general, comes in time. You need to create a strong idea of exactly who you are trying to play as. Consider making a list of attitudes your character would have in select situations, and observe characters in movies/plays.

Don't let anyone make you feel as if any lax on your part would be because a lack of intelligence - not being as accustomed as others to this sort of thing is the only significant reason. Time is all you need - and I mean this in more than one way.

When trying to respond in-character, take time to think of what you'll say. Does everyone immediately respond to every comment made at them? And do those whose attention is roused immediately reply again in kind? Sometimes moments to rub your chin are certainly called for - and you could spend this time legitimately thinking of what you'll say next.

Do your best to think ahead. Consider how to answer a question before it is even asked. Might be a bit too much work for you, if you're really not that into roleplaying...but the ones who do it best are those who put lots of time and effort into it. Nobody is born amazing, at roleplaying, or anything for that matter - they work until it becomes so.

Finally, don't forget that sometimes a simple response is the only appropriate one. Don't be afraid to say "Yes." if that's all you feel warranted.

Hopefully I said something useful.

themightybiggun
2007-02-03, 03:01 AM
You try my good man. There is no greater calling then simply trying.

The bad "roleplayers" are those who throw a roll without growing a role. The two halves are a whole, like a mole and its hole. or a ho and her pole, to try and separate the two is to be a rock and not to roll.

You don't gotta be good, hell, you don't even gotta get your kicks from it, but part of the game, is inserting at least a bit of yourself into the experience. And man, if you at least tried, which it sounds like you have, then thats effort you're putting into the game, and that's effort any reasonable DM should appreciate.

Keep at it.
EDIT: Galathir, I'm totally stealing that bio form for my players.

Red Sky Knight
2007-02-06, 06:35 PM
Yeah, a lot of these posts really helped. Between sessions I have written a background up for my character, included his likes, dislikes and motivations, and even went as far as writing down a handful of quotes.

I admit, i have shamelessly plaguarized; my character turned out to be a cross between Han Solo and Val Kilmer's character in Willow :smallbiggrin: Bit lame, but i sure as hell had a lot of fun playing this irresponsible rougish fighter with a greedy streak and "street tough" attitude who invariably always gets sucked in to doing the right thing.

Last session I relaxed, and stop feeling i needed to answer everything in character "errr...yea, verily!" and it was much easier. I paraphrased at times, spoke IC as much as I could, and had heaps more fun, so cheers.

My DM is quite impressed with the info I wrote up for my PC, and says she may even use it in her campaign, and now I'm starting to regret it, fearing the arrival in every tavern of one of his jilted lovers, some Sembian loan sharks or the purple dragon leiutenant he abandoned when he gave the order to stand and fight, regardless of the odds.

Stormcrow
2007-02-06, 07:27 PM
Don't be afraid of your past coming back to haunt you. It's one of the most rewarding aspects of the game really. Trust in the fact your party A) probably wont bail on you and B) will be happy for the XP/Loot that the encounters bring. And you, history firmly in hand, knowm EXACTLY how your character will feel about those encounters.

Mr Pink
2007-02-06, 07:37 PM
My advice seems somewhat late, but i always prefer Chars to have a solid background, with info on their frinds and family and "life before being wherever you are now". It makes it easy for teh DM to create plot hooks, and you can actually feel like your character has a life in game. Furthermore, it's easy to roleplay a situation if you've writeen how your char acts in these situations, and what they are like...

belboz
2007-02-06, 07:52 PM
I think Orion's advice is very good; you don't need to be an "in character" roleplayer to have fun, or even to count as a "good roleplayer". Many campaigns don't even put much emphasis on roleplaying, and, as he said, even those that do are usually pretty flexible about talking in character.

However, if you want to be an "in character" roleplayer, firm in the knowledge that it's a choice, not a duty, I'd like to second:

If you're in college or somesuch, I'd recommend a semester or two of theatre/drama classes. You're not neccessarily a bad roleplayer, from your description of how you do things, but you may well be a bad actor, and a bit of acting proficiency really can make RP much more enjoyable (at least, in my opinion).

...but for a slightly different reason. I don't think you need great acting *proficiency* (though it can't hurt), but a lot of beginning acting classes deal with issues like stage fright, getting flustered, keeping up the right sort of energy, and so on. It sounds like these things have a lot to do with your troubles. An improv class, if one is available, might be even better than a traditional acting class for these purposes.

And really, you can probably do this even if you aren't currently in college or somesuch. Most community colleges allow non-matriculated students to take classes, often for the cost of a rulebook or two--and they often offer evening sections for those who are otherwise occupied during the day. Check your local CCs to see if they offer any beginning acting or improv classes.

Oh, and byt the way, about the "plagiarizing"--if there's a player out there whose first ever character (or first *characterized* character, if they'd just been playing the crunch before) wasn't largely stolen from some combination of sources, I have yet to meet them. It's nothing to worry about.

LotharBot
2007-02-06, 08:08 PM
1) create a character background. You can go into great detail, or just a little, but try to hit the major areas for your character -- family, childhood experiences, how he became a fighter or mage or rogue or whatever, what he enjoys, and what he cares about. You might enjoy "The 100 Most important things to know about your character (http://www.geocities.com/poetess47/100questions.html)" from Revenge of the Gamer Chick.

2) Once you have a background, go through some situations in your head or on paper and decide how your character would like to respond in action. Sometimes it's easier to say what you're thinking after you've thought out where your actions would likely lead.

3) Now that you've done it a little... keep doing it. Expand parts of your background. Think back on things you did earlier in the campaign and discuss them in-character -- "I don't really like the way we handled ______" or "I was proud of you when you _______". Spend a little bit of your time and money on something that fits your backstory -- if you had a traumatic experience in the dark once, buy a magic item that produces light. If you were saved by a cleric of Ehlonna once, plant some trees. If you really hate goblins, come back from some downtime with a goblin bloodstain on your armor and a big smile on your face.