PDA

View Full Version : gestalt question

geekintheground
2014-03-08, 12:57 AM
what would my caster level if i had a gestalt character: wizard 10//rogue 5/incantatrix 5?

Zaydos
2014-03-08, 12:58 AM
10. You only get the +1 wizard casting from one side per level.

Story
2014-03-08, 01:06 AM
You'd probably be better off alternating it with levels of a partial casting PRC so you can get the benefits while maintaining full caster status.

geekintheground
2014-03-08, 01:26 AM
alright, thanks guys! i was just confused because caster level is never explicitly called a class feature (i dont think) and the gestalt rules dont really say anything about it (unless i missed it)

bekeleven
2014-03-08, 01:35 AM
Most gestalt rules forbid mixing your tracks. But for those that do allow something like that, you obey the rule: "Class features that two classes share (such as uncanny dodge) accrue at the rate of the faster class."

winter92
2014-03-08, 02:13 AM
bekeleven provides the most definitive part of the gestalt rules here. If you would get arcane wizard casting on two tracks, you get it at the faster rate but not cumulative. On the other hand, bard casting and wizard casting are different - you could run up different casting on each side, which is how some absurd gestalts are built.

A suggestion - you seem to be in the mood for a sneaky metamagic caster. Since you only need to take casting on one side at a time, 5 levels just freed up in your list to make a good gish. Consider taking some fighter for health and feats if you're going to be going into melee, then focusing on buff spells. Alternatively, emphasize the sneaky by looking into shadowcraft mage levels and something like swordsage with the shadow discipline on the other side. Just thoughts for your newfound extra levels!

geekintheground
2014-03-08, 02:23 AM
i just used that as an example. the actual levels woulda been shadowcraft mage//beguiler.

gorfnab
2014-03-08, 02:34 AM
i just used that as an example. the actual levels woulda been shadowcraft mage//beguiler.
What build do you currently have in mind for that?

geekintheground
2014-03-08, 03:28 PM
the actual build im using is: beguiler 5/Mindbender 1/Beguiler+2/Shadowcraft Mage 5/Rogue 2/Unseen Seer 5/Shadowcraft Mage+1//Factotum 20/Cloistered Cleric 1. my main shtick is using invisible superior invisibility and blasting using shadow illusion. i wanted to keep advancing my beguiler levels for more advanced learning, and since my DM approved an epic progression for shadowcraft mage (every 3 levels i get a bonus epic feat, and every 4 levels my shadow illusion gets 10% more real) i want to keep advancing that as well. so i was just curious if the CL increase would stack or not