PDA

View Full Version : Chatroom Games

Enzario
2007-02-01, 05:53 PM
(Already posted in PLAYER FINDING, but I thought it would get more replies here)

I've been looking for a while, and I haven't found anywhere where I could find a good IRC (Chatroom) D&D game. I've found plenty of transcripts (old GITP campaigns section, etc.) but no actual sites where I could participate in such a game. My neighborhood group meets only once in a blue moon, so I'm looking for something to supplement that. I love playing D&D, and am ready to go on about 24 hours notice.

So, to get to the point, I'm wondering if any of you have found any place where you can reliably find and join an adventure group over chatrooms using D&D 3.5 rules. This helps a lot.

Salutations,
Enzario

Matthew
2007-02-02, 12:53 PM
Any particular reason why Play by Post games aren't suitable?

Enzario
2007-02-02, 12:55 PM
I personally like the idea of being able jsut to sit down for a few hours and bang out a few adventures. Also, I don't like the idea of the DM rolling everything for me. Play by post seems too slow-paced.

Maxymiuk
2007-02-02, 01:35 PM
www.openrpg.com has a free downloadable chatroom program dedicated to running tabletop games online. It has a built in dice roller, alias tool, and tons of other features.

www.thetangledweb.net is one of the sites dedicated to running games through OpenRPG. You can find (or start) games through their forums. I use the place, and I can honestly say that there's always room for new players or GM's there.

jjpickar
2007-02-02, 01:49 PM
What's the difference between IRC and play by post? They both sound cool though.

Maxymiuk
2007-02-02, 02:00 PM
What's the difference between IRC and play by post? They both sound cool though.

Play by Post happens in a forum thread, much like this one. It's a good gaming method for people who can't make time for a dedicated gaming night, and the style is conductive to very indepth roleplaying. Downsides include the fact that a single conversation can take two days of real time (as people log in and post at various times of day), and don't even mention combat.

IRC (or chatroom) gaming is done in a chatroom (if you don't have IRC, think AIM or MSN Messenger). This preserves the immediacy of a tabletop game, since all the players are there in "real time" and nowadays many chat programs have downloadable dice roller and number generator plugins. The fact that you still can't see other people is a mixed blessing, since some people find it easier to actually roleplay this way, but typing stuff out instead of having an actual conversation still takes up a lot of time and doesn't allow for such things as arguments, interruptions (some players can roleplay that out though - for example by cutting off what they were typing once another person posts) and facial expressions.