PDA

View Full Version : Flying Mounts Multiplying Damage

yoshi67
2014-03-08, 04:53 AM
I'm building a level 7 Hexblade and took the feats Power Attack, Improved Familiar, and Practiced Spellcaster. I got a hippogriff as my familiar. I'm going to get a lance to use when I'm mounted. Does the Power Attack damage factor in before or after the x2 damage from charging with a lance? I also read that a mounted charge does double damage. Does that mean with any weapon (player held), or just the mount's natural weapons?

Andezzar
2014-03-08, 06:31 AM
A lance doubles the damage on a mounted charge. That includes all the damage from the rider except bonus damage dice. Be sure to use the lance with two hands so that the 2:1 Power Attack exchange is doubled.

If the hippogriff does a Dive Attack (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#fly) than it can attack with a claw or talon. This attack also deals double damage.

Using a familiar as a mount for a melee combatant is not the greatest idea. The mount does not get a STR or CON bonus as an animal companion or paladin special mount would and is stuck with half your HP.

Zombimode
2014-03-08, 06:35 AM
Does the Power Attack damage factor in before or after the x2 damage from charging with a lance?

Before:

Sometimes you multiply damage by some factor, such as on a critical hit. Roll the damage (with all modifiers) multiple times and total the results.

I also read that a mounted charge does double damage. Does that mean with any weapon (player held), or just the mount's natural weapons?

Where did you read that? A mounted charge, by itself, does not modify the damage in any way.

captain fubar
2014-03-08, 08:32 AM
I also read that a mounted charge does double damage. Does that mean with any weapon (player held), or just the mount's natural weapons?

this is not a free benefit of the mount but rather the effect of the feat spirited charge (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#spiritedCharge)

yoshi67
2014-03-09, 02:52 AM
My group always goes for RP over optimization, so my idea is based around looking intimidating. I also have the Dreadful Wrath regional feat. I charge into battle on the hippogriff, dealing as much damage as I can. Anyone near me takes a Will save or becomes shaken. I jump off and join in melee with everyone else while my 'griff takes off and provides support (finishing off weakened enemies, flanking).

Also, besides feats and Valorous weapons, is there any other way to improve charge attacks? I'm thinking about using some extra gold to get an item or wand of Rhino's Rush, but is this the only spell that could work? For the intimidation factor I think it would be great if I could deal as much damage on the initial charge as possible to hopefully kill or seriously wound my target. Who wouldn't be a little scared if a dude on an armored hippogriff swoops down and skewers a guy to start battle?

Andezzar
2014-03-09, 03:18 AM
Also, besides feats and Valorous weapons, is there any other way to improve charge attacks? I'm thinking about using some extra gold to get an item or wand of Rhino's Rush, but is this the only spell that could work? For the intimidation factor I think it would be great if I could deal as much damage on the initial charge as possible to hopefully kill or seriously wound my target. Who wouldn't be a little scared if a dude on an armored hippogriff swoops down and skewers a guy to start battle?A Valorous weapon, two-handed Power Attack and Shock Trooper should manage enough skewering. If you already have Shock Trooper, you could either take a level in Warblade or the Martial Study and Martial Stance Feats to get the Leading the Charge Stance. It adds your Initiatior level to the damage of your and all your allies' charge attacks as long as they are within 30 ft and can hear you.