PDA

View Full Version : Cartridge storage

Gnoman
2014-03-08, 12:29 PM
Right now, I have an SNES, Genesis, and an NES; with the attendant cartridges. Currently, I just have them all stuck in a drawer, but i'd like a better solution. Some of the Genesis games go nicely on a bookshelf because I actually have their cases, but the rest of them -and all of the other two systems' games- were purchased loose. I do have about half of my NES games in those black plastic sleeves, but I only have one protective cover for SNES games (which is permanently dedicated to Secret of Mana, by far the most expensive game I own.)

Ideally, the solution would be something along the lines of the specialized drawers that cassette tapes or VHS tapes were long-stored in, but with the dividers spaced for carts instead. Unfortunately, I'd have to build something like that, and I really don't have the time.

Any suggestions for alternatives?

Winter_Wolf
2014-03-08, 09:26 PM
Ziploc bags? I'm guessing your main concern is keeping dust and contaminants off the, uh, metal thingies. Well brain isn't helping me out with the actual term, even though it's *right there*.

Also those plastic containers with lids, you can get them long and narrow, so they should stay more or less how you put them into the container. I have one (broken) that's about the width of a CD jewel case but tall enough to fit a NES cart and still close all the way.

ObadiahtheSlim
2014-03-08, 09:34 PM
Ziploc bags? I'm guessing your main concern is keeping dust and contaminants off the, uh, metal thingies. Well brain isn't helping me out with the actual term, even though it's *right there*.
The metal thingies are called pins.

Gnoman
2014-03-08, 10:07 PM

That's part of it, but my main concern is physically organizing them in a manner that is easily accessible (making Rubbermaid totes or similar impractical), keeps them out of the sun (which a shelf doesn't do), and does not risk damaging them (as my current drawer storage is far too likely to do, as the bottom wants to fall out.) There are substitute-standard dust protectors for the NES and SNES games in production (and the originals aren't THAT hard to find), and I'm sure that a source of rental or sports-game Genesis boxes can be obtained.

Sylthia
2014-03-08, 10:11 PM
I have an item similar to these for my games. It says N64, but SNES games fit as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Snes-Game-Storage--game-Organizer-nintendo-64/dp/B00004S4YA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1394334586&sr=8-3&keywords=nintendo+64+cartridge+holder

http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-64-24-Game-Case/dp/B000J5OWFA/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1394334586&sr=8-5&keywords=nintendo+64+cartridge+holder

Gnoman
2014-03-08, 10:49 PM
That looks pretty good, but it's a bit pricey. I'll keep it in mind.

Sylthia
2014-03-08, 10:54 PM
That looks pretty good, but it's a bit pricey. I'll keep it in mind.

You may be able to find it cheaper on another site, or if you have a store near you that sells old games and accessories, they might have it or a similar item.

factotum
2014-03-09, 02:38 AM
Depending on how big these cartridges are (never owned any of the consoles so don't know), couldn't you use a drawer insert designed for VHS video tapes? You should be able to find those dirt cheap.

TaRix
2014-03-09, 04:36 AM
Though it doesn't likely meet the aesthetics, a largish shoebox can snugly fit around two dozen SNES carts. They also work well with the NES ones.

Gnoman
2014-03-09, 03:16 PM
Depending on how big these cartridges are (never owned any of the consoles so don't know), couldn't you use a drawer insert designed for VHS video tapes? You should be able to find those dirt cheap.

VHS Tape = 187mm x 103mm x 25mm
Snes cart = 135mm x 85mm x 20mm
NES cart = 133mm x 120mm x 20mm
Genesis cart = 108mm x 68mm x 16mm
Audiocassette = 101mm x76mm x 15mm

Completely different size and proportions (although the Genesis games are pretty close to an audocassette, so I might be able to use something designed for those for that system.) It might work if you had one that had wall dividers instead of notches, though it still would rattle around, but I don't think those exist.

@TaRix
A shoebox doesn't keep them as accessible as I would like.

Tvtyrant
2014-03-11, 04:29 PM
I would use the VHS dividers and put a washclothe in each one below the cartridge, this should keep it from sliding back and forth as well as keeping most dust off of it.