PDA

View Full Version : Revealing the invisible when you're mundane

Fitz10019
2014-03-08, 01:38 PM
The Scout's Headband (MIC p132) has a feature that allows you to see invisible creatures. Suppose an actual Scout is wearing this headband, expends the charges to see invisible creatures, and sees some.

What's the best way (maybe an item?) for a mundane class to reveal invisible creatures to his party members so they can get in on the smack-down?

Norin
2014-03-08, 01:41 PM
How about a few bags of flour?

Renen
2014-03-08, 01:44 PM
If he is a monkey, and has weapon focus: own poop, then the answer should be obvious

Palanan
2014-03-08, 01:49 PM
Originally Posted by Norin

This was my first thought. I can't think of anything that's more effective, and economical, for your typical starting adventurer.

SinsI
2014-03-08, 01:56 PM
Custom command-activated item of Purge Invisibility.

sleepyphoenixx
2014-03-08, 02:03 PM
Torchbug Paste (CS). Nonmagical Faerie Fire as a thrown splash weapon for 25gp per use. Probably all you need unless you run into a lot of invisible stuff.
There's also the Stormfire Ring (MIC) for Faerie Fire and electricity damage.

Faerie Fire also negates concealment so it's a little more universally useful than an item of Invisibility Purge or similar magic (and a lot cheaper).

Fitz10019
2014-03-08, 02:03 PM

Thanks. I know that flour is the traditional forum answer to invisibility, but the rules don't say much about it. The DMG refers to coating an invisible object with flour to keep track of it -- it also refers to the flour falling off or blowing away, but doesn't describe the strength of wind required, or the number of rounds to use. Also, the flour bag would be an improvised weapon, with the appropriate attack penalties and range increment limitations.

I was hoping for an item that delivers faerie fire, or something else similarly rules-concrete.

Renen may be onto something (or on something).

Fitz10019
2014-03-08, 02:09 PM
Torchbug Paste (CS). Nonmagical Faerie Fire as a thrown splash weapon for 25gp per use. Probably all you need unless you run into a lot of invisible stuff.
There's also the Stormfire Ring (MIC) for Faerie Fire and electricity damage.

Faerie Fire also negates concealment so it's a little more universally useful than an item of Invisibility Purge or similar magic (and a lot cheaper).

Spot on. Thanks!

CyberThread
2014-03-08, 02:17 PM
Could use cleave and whirlwind spin in a circle throwing flour arOund like it is holy water.

Concentrated flour?

Urpriest
2014-03-08, 02:38 PM
In terms of flour, IIRC Dungeonscape has more detailed rules.

Palanan
2014-03-08, 04:14 PM
In defense of flour, I have to say I've seen it used very effectively in the last campaign I ran. It's recommended a lot because it's simple, inexpensive and usually works pretty well.

As an alternative...in my very first 3.5 campaign, we ran through Forge of Fury and had a real problem fighting a certain invisible NPC--we just kept whiffing, and he kept hammering us.

After many rounds of this, in sheer frustration, my druid grabbed one of the animal skins off the floor and flung it in the general direction of the antagonist. My DM asked me for an attack roll.

Natural 20.

So the animal skin flopped down right over the NPC, he was flailing helplessly and we pasted him next round. Sometimes you gotta get creative.

:smalltongue:

Fitz10019
2014-03-08, 06:11 PM
In terms of flour, IIRC Dungeonscape has more detailed rules.

Ah, page 32, an item called a flour pouch. Thanks for that tip.

But it's 5x more expense than a normal bag of flour. Gasp!

Nihilarian
2014-03-08, 06:17 PM
Ah, page 32, an item called a flour pouch. Thanks for that tip.

But it's 5x more expense than a normal bag of flour. Gasp!What, 1 SP? I wouldn't worry about it.

Calimehter
2014-03-08, 07:06 PM
- Harpoons and Nets specifically stay stuck to the target with a rope leading to it, but they are exotic weapons.

- You can also try to grapple it to make its location obvious. Common side effects may include loss of life and limb, or an humiliating fall to the ground against incorporeals, so choose your targets carefully when using this technique.

- Its probably not RAW, but would sticking an arrow into it mark its location? How about if it was an arrow with a light source or similar effect attached to it?

Palanan
2014-03-08, 07:15 PM
As another offbeat option, Quench or an equally rain-inducing spell should outline your target rather nicely.

:smalltongue:

Skevvix
2014-03-08, 08:21 PM
Mundane Glitterdust (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#dustofAppearance), only costs 1,800, or CWI and CL 5.

Urpriest
2014-03-08, 09:58 PM
Mundane Glitterdust (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#dustofAppearance), only costs 1,800, or CWI and CL 5.

I wouldn't call it mundane, seeing as it's a magic item. But sure, accessible to mundanes.

Nettlekid
2014-03-08, 10:12 PM
Oil or water or anything you can pour on the ground around you? Between the outline of feet and footprints and the splashing it makes, that should be useful.

CyberThread
2014-03-08, 10:21 PM
A &g grenade types

Chronos
2014-03-08, 11:09 PM
But it's 5x more expense than a normal bag of flour. Gasp!
That's the same reason that 10' poles are so expensive relative to ladders: They're both bought primarily by adventurers who are too stinking rich to know the difference. All the market will bear!

GoblinArchmage
2014-03-08, 11:20 PM
Call out, "Marco!"

Ravens_cry
2014-03-08, 11:51 PM
I wouldn't call it mundane, seeing as it's a magic item. But sure, accessible to mundanes.
The cursed version is even better.:smallbiggrin:

Stoneback
2014-03-08, 11:52 PM
Oil and a torch, man. Invisible stuff burns just as well as anything else.

Xan_Kriegor
2014-03-09, 02:47 AM
[...]10' poles[...]

You just gave me an idea for scanning for invisibles: equip 10' pole at one end and hold it out horizontally from you, spin in a circle and if you hit depending on leverage you should be able to feel if it's close (within 5') or far (10' away) and tell your party as such. Doesn't keep it detected, but then other people know where to start.

Gavinfoxx
2014-03-09, 06:17 AM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221322

Lots of options in that thread. Also, people dodge attacks, even touch ones..

Faily
2014-03-09, 12:44 PM
Also, good Spot checks. :smallsmile:

pg.309 PHB - Invisible: "... Locating the square an invisible creatures occupies requires a Spot check (DC40 if the creature is immobile, DC20 if the creature moved during its last turn), modified by appropriate factors (such as an armor check penalty or a penalty to movement)."

Ravens_cry
2014-03-09, 01:33 PM
Also, good Spot checks. :smallsmile:

pg.309 PHB - Invisible: "... Locating the square an invisible creatures occupies requires a Spot check (DC40 if the creature is immobile, DC20 if the creature moved during its last turn), modified by appropriate factors (such as an armor check penalty or a penalty to movement)."
Really hard though since you can also Hide and Move Silently while invisible.

ericgrau
2014-03-09, 01:50 PM
And a DC 20 listen check to find the square. Blindfight doesn't hurt. You can also spread flour on the ground if you have prep time and find the square by the foot prints.

Really hard though since you can also Hide and Move Silently while invisible.
Not that hard after a foe attacks. Then it's just a flat DC 20 listen.

Fitz10019
2014-03-09, 01:56 PM
This surprised me.

A creature can grope about to find an invisible creature. A character can make a touch attack with his hands or a weapon into two adjacent 5-foot squares using a standard action.

With groping, you get to check 2 squares with 1 standard action. [Miss chances still apply.]

kirerellim
2014-03-09, 02:40 PM
Well, depending on your allies, just pointing at the right square could be enough. My ally is a soulbow with seeking lol.

Fitz10019
2014-03-09, 04:48 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221322

Lots of options in that thread. Also, people dodge attacks, even touch ones..

That was an interesting thread -- thanks for linking it.

I wonder if there are any rules-sanctioned ways to impair Move Silently. If I save up my pistachio nut shells, can I disperse them to ruin some rogue's day?

Meth In a Mine
2014-03-10, 07:49 AM
Call out, "Marco!"
YES.

May I Sig that, sir?

Segev
2014-03-10, 08:03 AM
Call out, "Marco!"

In X-Crawl, a 3.0 third-party setting for D&D, there is an actual spell that has that as its Verbal component: you say it, and everyone within range has to make a Will save or yell out, "Polo!"