PDA

View Full Version : Deadly Wonders [D&D 4e]

MasterBen
2014-03-08, 03:47 PM
Welcome to the IC for Deadly Wonders

please direct any questions to the ooc thread:http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=17132236#post17132236

Players
MasterBen | Dungeon Master | Black
zingbobco000 | Yaner Juon Half-Elf Bard | Blue | Serai
GPuzzle | Cestgax Sieversii Tiefling Paladin/Fighter | Olive | Tharda
Gavran | Alaric Human Warlock | Dark Red | imp | Red | Brak
Felhammer | Abea Natan Deva Paladin | Magenta |Trebon
Daracaex | Nuala Athear elf seeker| Teal | Tharda
Binks | Laseonus Deva Ardent | Orange | Averem
Raine_Sage | Selene human bard | Purple | Khemra

Game Schedule:
the game will officially begin March 9 at noon (GMT-8, or PST). I will have one post IC per day, and unless you tell me otherwise, if you fail to act by the 4:00 pm the next day, you will not have acted and we will move on.

Game intro: You sit awkwardly in a cramped room, with a small table around which sit 9 representatives, their guards, and their agents, you. These men and women represent 9 small nations, nations without global power or trade dominance or religious authority. They sit in terror. Every two thousand years, the gods wreak a terrible destruction upon the world, unless nation can prove its strength, find the 7 golden pieces that make the capstone of the god's great temple, and place them at noon on the first day of the new year. If a nation can succeed, then they are granted incredible power. Their armies unstoppable, their nation unconquerable. For two thousand years they will reign supreme.

You are here today because this cannot happen. Alone you are not strong enough to defeat these nations, and prevent the capstone from falling into their grasps. Together, you may just stand a chance.

Nations: Updated(please read)

http://i58.tinypic.com/24y0n4p.png

The Alliance:
Averem: One of the more powerful nations of the Alliance, Averem has for many years fought to resist the controlling efforts of Karvith. The land is rich in natural resources, but mostly arid desert and rough mountains. the few patches of tropical jungle near the cost are usually occuppied by dangerous creatures. Averem breeds a hard and dedicated people, who intend to rise to a greater level

Tharda: After many hundreds of years of isolation, Tharda has developed interesting an unique culture, the people of Tharda appear unfriendly and rude at first, but those who know them and have become friends see them as dedicated, honest, and compassionate people who would fight to the end for their loved ones. Tharda itself is a frozen land of towering pine trees and highland hills.

Karvax: This mountainous nation has for long existed as small and under developed, their only true contributions to the world being their lands vast quantity of resources. Recently, they have shaken free from imperial domination and fight to make their place as a powerful independent people. Karvax's population is mostly dwarvish, but many humans and other races find sanctuary in the great mountains of this land.

Khemra: once a mighty empire, Khemra is now a desolate land, a reminder of a once great people laid low. The people of Khemra are tend to be fierce and strong willed, although many appear calm and peaceful. these people survive in this desolate and of low frozen hills and rocky planes on their own intuitive abilities and ancient skills, for the people of Khemra carry with them always the rich history of the ancestors.

Trebon: once a minor member of the Pelan Alliance, Trebon shook free from its hold and established itself as a strong nation in its own right. the people of Pelan are know for their unwavering devotion and dedication, any many are hardworking and honest to a fault. Trebon's southern landscape shares the desert of the rest of the Pelan lands, while their north is forested and mountainous.

Brak: long ago Brak separated itself from the world in an attempt to foster independence. recently however, they feel that their way of life is at risk and have joined the alliance to ensure their safety. Many people of this country have grown extremely wealthy on the resources they have harvested from their little nation.

Rasaff: a land as old as memory, Rasaff is an ancient and snowy place that have evolved on their own over many years of work and study. The great colleges of Rusaff are some of the most well known and largest in the world. many people of Rusaff choose to enter the route of the scholar, and Rusaff's shockingly efficient government has ruled for many hundreds of years.

Serai: this southern land has long been close with Averem, and see the rising power of Yrrasil as a threat to their independence. They are a nation of tropical landscapes and seafaring masters. The people are kind and welcoming, slow to anger but ferocious when offended. their powerful trade network has made them quite rich, and they have much to contribute to the benefit of the alliance.

Porill: A little to the south of Serai, Porill has already lost much of its land to the predation of Yrrasil. while they have learned much from these encounters and become stronger from it, they are still at great risk and thus have joined the alliance to protect themselves. the people are some of the most adaptable in the world, quick to learn and experts in survival.

Opening: Over the past week, 12 ships have come to port in Ice Stone Bay. this ancient canyon walled with rock and ice leads strait to the northern sea. Rusaff has invited the Alliance here to discuss the grave matter of these dread times. A makeshift dock has been assembled, with a single path leading up the mountainous cliff face to an old castle near the top. The castle, long ago in disrepair has been quickly modified to suite the needs of today's event, the secret discussions that will soon take place... finally, all the nation have arrived, and the meeting will soon begin...

MasterBen
2014-03-09, 04:37 AM
Guards usher you into the meeting room. The stone is ancient and thick, and the air is stuffy. Sitting around the table sit the representatives of each nation. At the head of the table stands an old man in scholarly robes. He holds a collection of books in front of them, with two words on the cover of each, "Mission Briefing." He distributes one to each of the agents. He coughs into his hand, then begins to speak.
"Ladies and gentlemen, I am Marxus Rem, head scholar of ancient studies of Rusaff. I speak to you all today of a most urgent matter. Our nations formed this alliance to defend one another, and now, we are called upon to defend ourselves. The dread times are upon us. In four months, devastation will be wrought upon the world. The golden Capstone of the gods great capstone must be placed on noon of the first day of the new year. the capstone is a golden pyramid, 3 meters tall, with a vein of crystal running through the center. if this is placed in time, the gods will be appeased. If ones blood is inside the compartment at the top of the capstone, then they and all their people will be given great power, their nation unconquerable, their army unstoppable. For 2000 years they will reign supreme. we are here because this cannot be allowed to happen. Alone, we will be crushed. Together, we may just stand a chance... now we need to discuss where to find these pieces in the first place. But first, do any of you have any questions?"

Felhammer
2014-03-09, 05:38 AM
ABEA

The Deva squirms as she tries to find a comfortable position. She was far more at home on the road and in a roadside tavern than these types of formal gatherings. The Paladin knew this meeting was of the utmost importance, as the people of her beloved homeland of Trebon had selected her to be their champion. Still, it was not a duty she relished... At least at this moment in time.

Abea listens intently to Marxus Rem. She finds him articulate yet cold. Having not had the opportunity to interact with such folk often, she wonders if perhaps that is the way all such scholars were. She presumes, if true, it must be due to the fact that they spend an inordinate amount of time alone with their books and not enough time out in the real world, interacting with real people.

The Head Scholar poses a question to the assembled group. The Paladin has a few questions about the end goal of this Alliance - Will the gods accept the blood of multiple nations to be used in the final ritual? If not, then is the goal of the Alliance to prevent another realm from completing the ritual? She presumes yes, as why else would this group of rather important individuals be summoned here this day. Yet the questions gnaw at the back of her head like a persistent bug bite. She does not vocalize her questions, rather allowing another here assembled to ask it for her. If that does not work, then the Mission Briefing book will most likely hold the answers she seeks.

GPuzzle
2014-03-09, 07:34 AM
Cestgax

The Tiefling takes a look around to the other representatives - essentially, the ones that aren't dressed in fancy clothing. There's a half-elf, a pair of devas, a pair of humans and an elf. He was by far the weirdest one there. Perhaps the devas came close, but they at least they had someone that was from the same race.

"Uhm, I'm sorry, but do we have any idea which direction should we head to? I think it's a good idea to know where are we going, to say the least."

Gavran
2014-03-09, 10:34 AM
Alaric Malthas

Alaric leans forward in his chair, listening intently to the speaker. His hands rest possessively on his copy of the briefing, though he has yet to open the book it is evident that he is eager to do so.

"Marxus Rem, of course. Your excellent reputation has far preceded you, at the temple where I was brought up they spoke of your unparalleled schools. I wish that I had the time to peruse your libraries myself, but I trust the text you've prepared will contain all the important and germane facts. I must ask one thing though - of everyone here - what precisely is our goal? Do we choose a leader? Form a new nation comprised of all our people? I hope the intent isn't to assemble the Capstone bereft any of our claims. Do we even know if that would work? And to waste such power... think of how much good it could do in the right hands!"

Leaning back in his chair, eyes scanning the others across the table he falls into silent thought. Securing two thousand years of peace would surely earn my redemption... I must ask Vetis what he knows about all of this when I get a chance.

Raine_Sage
2014-03-09, 11:34 AM
Selene traces her fingers idly over her the cover on her own copy of the briefing as she listens to the summary given by Marxus. She has of course heard stories of this time, songs of calamity and conquest and the bones of ruined cities. She frowns slightly, trying not to reveal how the thought of actually witnessing any of that first hand makes her stomach twist in knots.

"I agree with the the others here." she says softly. "The claim seems important, without it would we not simply have another two thousand years of the status quo? I cannot say I enjoy the idea of war and conquest. But I enjoy the idea of stagnation less."

Daracaex
2014-03-09, 05:39 PM
Nuala Athear

"I don't see how it matters right now. It won't even be a choice if we don't find all the pieces. My countryman is right. We need to know where we're going. Others can deal with what this alliance will do if we're successful."

The briefing given to Nuala lay untouched beside her on the table. She already knew why she was here and what would happen if they failed. There were better things to think about and discuss while the representatives of the nations were all in one place. She could read the document later.

Thinking about possible hiding places for the pieces:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

MasterBen
2014-03-09, 07:05 PM
Marxus closes his eyes and lets out a sigh.

"We know that the ritual will work. We know the requirements. A full cylinder of the blood. Any less and the ritual will not work, any more and it will not fit. if the blood is split between two or more, then there will not be enough for the ritual to succeed. We have 2 plans, and our purpose here is to decide our proper course of action. The first plan is for the best case scenario. we recover all 7 capstone pieces and place them, either without blood or with it, depending on our decision. Our second plan is worst case. We intend to retrieve one piece and hide it away. We will weather the storm of the gods, and rebuild. I believe we can all agree that a bit of suffering is better than the total domination by foreign powers."

"2000 years ago, the kingdom of Calvara succeeded in placing the capstone. They performed the ritual to the letter, and gained the power to dominate the world. And so they did. The first to fall was ancient Khemra. But soon many others fell as well. What happened to Calvara you ask, why have you never heard of it? because it destroyed itself. with ultimate power came those who believed themselves righteous, and demanded the right to rule. In horrible civil war the country burned itself to the ground. The last king of Calvara took the capstone and hid the piece away so that none would find them again."

"Through study, research, and a good deal of luck we have found what we believe the locations to be, or at least a good starting place. Are there any other questions before we review the briefing?"

GPuzzle
2014-03-09, 07:14 PM
"Not really, but you really need to keep remembering the tales of old. Those that forget of the past are bound to remember it, and that's a step backward in civilization."

Gavran
2014-03-09, 11:45 PM
Alaric Malthas

Pausing for a moment to choose his words carefully, Alaric focuses his attention on the scholar. "You're right, of course. I did not mean to imply you hadn't thought things through. This is too large a matter for any one man to decide, and it will take considerable time for a group to. In any case, it is all moot if we do not find the pieces. I have no questions that cannot wait."

Raine_Sage
2014-03-10, 12:39 AM
"My apologies as well. I did not mean to come off as though who would ultimately claim the prize of conquest, was more important than preventing the calamity itself." Selene said, looking up from the book. "It is just that I also have a vested interest in preventing Khemra from descending into Ash and Ruin a second time. Please, let us continue with the briefing and I will put my faith in the idea that claiming the spoils of the gods is not a necessary part of the ritual to prevent calamity."

The bones of the old cities still dotted the landscape of her homeland, it was a popular site for those interested in studying the past but also a grim reminder of what ultimately happened to the losing side. She hoped Khemra could survive the calamity if they failed. She knew they could not survive war.

Felhammer
2014-03-10, 12:59 AM
Abea

The deva smiles as she listens to the other raise the same concerns she had pondered about. Speaking up for the first time since the meeting began she states, "Please, Head Scholar Rem, continue with your mission briefing. If I may be so bold, I believe we are all eager to learn as much as we can while we are with you, for we shall only have the sagely words you speak this day to accompany us on our journey."

Binks
2014-03-10, 10:41 AM
Laseonus

Laseonus sits in silent contemplation as the others question the scholar, feeling no need to interject in the initial round of questions. Things were playing out about how he expected and the Deva felt it was more important to get a feel for the others who would be going on this quest.

Another Deva, well muscled and carrying a large blade and shield, a rather unusual setup for one of their kind. A Tiefling with a warhammer, standing out even among this group. The Human wizard and scholar, grasping his book's edge as though he would like nothing more than to rip it open and dive in immediately. The other Human, who appears too frail for such a quest, but Laseonus's trained eyes detect something more, a backbone of steel perhaps, that likely justifies her inclusion. An Elven archer who seems to be doing something similar to Laseonus by studying the others rather than the documents they were given. And a half-elf, whose sword was clearly a songblade, remaining silent thus far, probably someone skilled in listening like himself. They were certainly a diverse bunch, but such was to be expected. That was the strength of the alliance after all, its diversity of people covering for one another.

Finally, as the others seem ready for the full details of the briefing to begin, Laseonus speaks up, his voice far more friendly in tone than would be expected given his harsh and ornate appearance.

"Indeed, it may be some time before we are given the opportunity to even begin considering how to complete the ritual. It is perhaps a bit presumptuous to assume we will reach that point. Though, with all of us working together, anything is possible, as the members of this alliance have proven time and again." he says with a nod to Scholar Rem to indicate he is not simply speaking of the agents but everyone involved.

zingbobco000
2014-03-10, 09:24 PM
The half - elf who is sitting at your table, asleep. :smallsigh: His snores evantually break the silence. When someone taps him on the shoulder, he can't see who though. He startles, now awake "Huh, what happened? What did I miss? Oh yeah, we were talking about some cappy, cappybara, oh! Capstone that was it! So, where were we, fill me in." He has somewhat of a happy go lucky attitude that you would not expect from a military sergeant. But you can also sense a charismatic attitude to him as well.

Felhammer
2014-03-10, 09:43 PM
ABEA

The deva paladin of Pelor has a small break in her otherwise cheerful visage as she looks aghast at the half-elf. "Sleeping at a time like this!? The fate of the world is in our hands and this lout is sleeping? Perhaps all people from Serai are this lazy?" Abea Natan decides to keep her eye on this Mr. Juon. She would not willingly put her life in this man's hands until he proved himself worthy of her trust.

zingbobco000
2014-03-10, 10:08 PM
Good, keep up this work, and I'll have the enitre group untrustworthy of me. You want to have trust built up because of actions, not one's initial reaction. He glances over at the Deva who seem to be watching him with intent. Well, he seems to think that I am careless, and lazy, hah. I'd like to see the look on her face when I prove her wrong.

Yes, it might seem stupid, but that's how he believes that people should get trustworthy, not because of what they believe, but what they do.

Binks
2014-03-10, 10:10 PM
Laseonus

As the half-elf awakens Laseonus, who had thought him to be deep in quiet contemplation before he awoke, has no recourse but to put one hand up to his face briefly before returning his attention to the scholar.

Not all who are quiet are profound I suppose...

zingbobco000
2014-03-10, 10:22 PM
Juon turns towards the center of the table seeing Marxus, and says: "Why hello there, I think I've heard of you... (If this were 3.5 I could do a bardic knowledge check) ah, yes! Marxus, Marxus Rem wasn't it? Well known scholar. So, what were we talking about? What happens at this capstone-y thing?"

This is all completely fake, if the DM thinks I should roll a bluff check here it is: [roll0]wow, um, well... Hopefully that was not needed, or people think that he really is telling the truth and is not trying to investigate him. *Nothing to see here! Please move on!

Raine_Sage
2014-03-10, 10:52 PM
"If the golden capstone is not placed within the temple of the gods before the first day of the new year comes and goes, then the world will face calamity and ruin the likes of which it has never seen before." Selene provided helpfully. She seemed neither particularly upset by the other bard's napping, nor particularly surprised. She simply assumed he must have had a long trip.

"The summit, I believe, is so we can determine how to beat out our neighbors when it comes to gathering the pieces. Since being invaded by an unstoppable foreign power has the potential to be worse than any natural disaster. I'm curious, were you not filled in when you were selected to attend the sumit?" she asked mildly.

zingbobco000
2014-03-10, 11:04 PM
"Er, well, um, if that would be the 'end of the world' meeting, then no. Thank you for your kindness though."

Once again, he has the same knowledge that all the players do.

Raine_Sage
2014-03-10, 11:05 PM
"It is no trouble, just try and stay awake if you can." she replies with a smile.

Daracaex
2014-03-10, 11:31 PM
Nuala Athear

Nuala just watched the interaction with the half-elf silently, preferring to wait for Rem to speak and reveal his opinion on where the group would search first. She did, however, note that the "sleeping" man was playing more oblivious than he let on. It wouldn't surprise her if he already knew all their names and was faking sleep. Some people were like that, after all.

Technically don't need one, since my passive insight is more than enough. :smallwink:

MasterBen
2014-03-11, 12:08 AM
a thin smile creeps into Rem's face, but he quickly shrugs it aside.
"Well, now that that's out of the way and our young friend has returned to the land of the living, perhaps we can begin."

"20 years, I was a part of an expedition to Felum and Gella, in hopes of doing some research into the ancient kingdom of Calvara. What was discovered there, is the key to our success now. The Tablet of Alexander!" he says as he presents a large and carefully wrapped bundle to the representatives. as he begins to unwrap it he says, "This ancient tablet is the last record of the capstone pieces, after King Alexander had the pieces separated. their locations were kept and dutifully recorded here by Alexander's few surviving men, until they all finally passed and the tablet was lost, buried beneath the sands of time. however, there are 2 major issues with this. The first, is that Pelan has a duplicate of this. we must assume they are also after the pieces. the second," he says sighing, " and perhaps most shameful, is that we cannot read it. At first glance, the tablet bears all the markings of being Supernal, but a more detailed inspection reveals that only the first line is true supernal, the rest appears to be jibberish, that only get's more complicated as the writing goes on." at this time, he has finished removing the wrapping, revealing an ancient stone tablet carved with runes long eroded by the flow of time.

http://i61.tinypic.com/2z8qixh.jpg

"we believe this language to be the form of supernal known as Iounic. The word of Ioun. a language of pure knowledge, indecipherable. look at this mess of language." he stops and pauses. "there is..." he says, taking a pause, "a way to read it. A bloodline trait passed down through the family of the Calvaran who's blood was used in the ritual. we have located him, as well as understood the first line of text, the location of the 1st capstone piece. before we proceed to the full briefing, is there anything more any of you would like to know on this subject?"

Daracaex
2014-03-11, 12:34 AM
Nuala Athear

Nuala's attention shot back to the scholar at the revelation of the tablet. "Supernal? Isn't that the language of the gods? Does it just contain a list of locations, or is there more?" There was one more question running through her mind that went unasked: Could the thing that held the answers she had sought for years have already been found before she had even left home?

Felhammer
2014-03-11, 12:44 AM
ABEA

The deva listens intently to Rem. She takes time to try and remember as much of the carving as possible, just on the off chance that this tablet goes missing. Then it dawns on her to ask, "How many people know of your tablet, Head Scholar Rem? Have you made any copies of the etching? If so, how safe are they?"

Gavran
2014-03-11, 01:00 AM
Alaric Malthas

"Gods and... others, yes." A strange look flashes across his face, only to disappear just as quickly. "Still, if Rem claims it is Ioun's script I see no reason to doubt that. I've spent a lifetime among Ioun's secrets and I've never seen anything like this... may I...?" He trails off into silence, already rising from his seat and leaning forward to scrutinize the tablet.

This cannot be coincidence... Ioun herself is showing me the path to my redemption.

As his eyes track across the carvings he quietly murmurs the words he can understand. "The great sentinel proved defenseless, and when his might toppled... we took his head and buried it beneath the great kings mine... Rem, you know the land this is referencing?"

GPuzzle
2014-03-11, 04:21 AM
"Wait, you've said this is Ioun's language?"

The Tiefling abruptly takes the stone and starts reading it. While he doesn't understand a thing, he does barely recognize the letters on the capstone.

"I've seen this kind of letter before in the temple! No one ever knew what they meant, but those were inscribed in the southern wall! Well, we can't read them now, the temple caught on fire due to a cleric of Vecna and me failing to protect it."

Binks
2014-03-11, 10:22 AM
Laseonus

Laseonus remains quiet during the discussion of the language. Not being an expert on Supernal, or a scholar of any kind really, he waits to hear the information the others gather while considering what Scholar Rem had said.

If we know where this person who can read the stone is...so too does Pelan most likely. It's going to be a race to him if we're not careful...

Raine_Sage
2014-03-11, 11:02 AM
Selene looks up in surprise as Alaric reads from the tablet, his murmer almost too faint to catch but no mistaking what he's doing given the intent look on his face.

"I knew wizards were well learned, but to know the language of Ioun..."

She shakes her head slightly. It's not particularly relevant at this time and she does not wish to bog down the meeting with unnecessary chatter. There will be time to get to know the others later. For now she focuses on what Marxus has said.

"I don't believe I have any further questions." she says, examining the tablet intently. "Only where we might begin our search."

Rolling religion and history to see if she has heard anything about either the stone tablet or the survivor from Calvran in old stories or songs before now.
rerolling in another post because wow did I screw this up

Felhammer
2014-03-11, 11:06 AM
ABEA

The deva is surprised by the knowledge base the wizard possesses but does not let it show. She waits patiently for Rem to continue his briefing.

Raine_Sage
2014-03-11, 11:06 AM
History: [roll0]
Religion: [roll1]

GPuzzle
2014-03-11, 11:37 AM
"I'm sorry to interrupt, but I do have a plan. Could someone bring us a map with the temples of Ioun marked on them?"

MasterBen
2014-03-11, 06:58 PM
Rem nods to his assistant, clearing one of them to locate a map. he then turns back to the meeting.
"this tablet had a duplicate, which I mentioned is in the hands of Pelan. in addition to this, I have a paper copy, which is with us now. All the notes of study have been collected and burned. It is quite likely that Pelan is either close to or has found the man who can read this. It is also likely that they, like our friend here, " he says gesturing to Alaric, " have translated the first line and will be on the way to the first piece of the capstones location, which brings us to the briefing."

he slams his hand down on the briefing book. "For now we have reached a critical point, do we go after the reader or after the capstone piece."

he closes his eyes and begins to recite, "The great sentinel proved defenseless, and when his might toppled... we took his head and buried it beneath the great kings mine."

"this is the first line of the tablet. from this we have begun to piece together the first pieces location, as well as the others. Just prior to the fall of his empire, king Alexander took a tour of the great wonders of his nation, and that the capstone was never seen after this. we believe that the king choose to hide the pieces at these wonders so that they might be hidden by colossal grandeur. The first riddle confirms the this, the great bronze sentinel of Felia. it was toppled by invading forces some twelve hundred years ago. curiously, its head went missing shortly afterwards, and the rest of the statue was salvaged for scrap. The great kings mine that was referenced is likely the mine of Aproxa, in the marshlands Gella, a convenient short boat ride away form the sentinels resting place. we are fairly certain that the capstone is there."

"this is detailed on the first page of briefing."

The Bronze sentinel of Felia:

http://i60.tinypic.com/20kvogg.png

constructed: year 324, II age

build on the northern coastline of modern Cabrah, this might bronze statue guarded the bay of Felia's capital city prior to its invasion and conquest by Calvara. Felled when the people of Felia threw off Calvaran rule after it had descended into civil war to make weapons. Head apparently spirited away by Alexander's servants and buried in the abandoned mine of Aproxa. records show that one of the kings great architects labored there for many years, where he is believed to have constructed a great number of traps and seals to keep the bronze head and capstone piece safely hidden.

The Oracle of Ioun:

this is the title give to the bloodline capable of reading Iounic. the current oracle is a middle aged man living in north Havall. He is recorded to be a widower and have 2 children. he is aware that he has the ability to translate this language. it is believed Pelan has also identified him.

"there is more," Rem concludes, "But first, I'm sure this is confusing. is their anything I can elaborate on?"

Raine_Sage
2014-03-11, 07:07 PM
"Yes actually, it says here the Oracle has two children? I don't suppose we know if they also have the gift necessary to read Ionic?" Selene asked, looking up from the briefing curiously.

"I hate to think Pelan would also seize his children in some misguided attempt to stifle our search." she explained. "Children have no business getting forced into affairs like these."

GPuzzle
2014-03-11, 07:09 PM
Cest turns to Marxus Rem and says in a slightly excited manner:
"There's inscriptions of Iounic in every Ioun temple in the world according to the clerics who raised me. Once we get to the mine, my plan is to go to the nearest temple and find the wall that has something written in Iounic. It might lead us to the next clue."

He looks through the nearest window.

"Ah, damnit. It's raining again."

Daracaex
2014-03-11, 07:54 PM
Nuala Athear

"So Pelan knows about both of the things we can possibly go after?" Nuala asked.

She thought for a moment. "The question that matters is how confident are we? We can go after the one piece we know about, maybe get it before Pelan, and then go and hide it away and hope the cataclysm doesn't kill us all while Pelan uses this 'Oracle' to get the rest of the pieces. Or we can get to the Oracle first and actually have a chance to keep our homes safe." By her tone, it was clear which option she was in favor of.

GPuzzle
2014-03-11, 07:58 PM
"Or we could split in groups and have some reach the new piece and the others find the oracle."

Gavran
2014-03-12, 05:10 AM
Alaric Malthas

Alaric retreats back to his seat and nods agreeably as the elf from Tharda finishes speaking.
"If we go after the first piece and fail while Pelan coerces the Oracle, we lose everything. If we go to Havall we not only stand to gain more, but we have three chances to succeed." He looks, somewhat sheepishly, at Selene. "I would prefer too that children were kept out of this, but it's not as if reading the tablet will harm them. The cost here is much too great to ignore them. Besides, they'd be safer in our custody than sitting around hoping nobody else notices the loose ends. We shall of course aim to keep the family together if possible."

Binks
2014-03-12, 10:27 AM
Laseonus

"While I am not certain I like the way you put that," Laseonus says with a nod to Alaric, "I must agree with the plan to go after the Oracle first. The Oracle offers both a chance at complete success, and a higher probability that we can carry out the backup plan, than just going after the first capstone. If we can convince the Oracle to help then we get the opportunity to pick which of the capstones we go for first before Pelan even knows where they are. If we just grab the first capstone we are effectively giving up on any chance to find all of them and we will have to contest Pelan for it anyway." Laseonus says with a glance at the others to judge their feelings on the matter.

Raine_Sage
2014-03-12, 11:41 AM
Selene looks at Alaric and sighs. "You make too much sense when you speak," she replies with a wan smile. "So I won't argue it. Trying to find the oracle first seems like the obvious first move from any point of view. It is only... life can be hard enough for a child, I've no wish to make it harder by accident."

Felhammer
2014-03-12, 11:53 AM
ABEA

The paladin nods in agreement, "I concur. The Oracle lies a long the path that holds the greater chance of success." Her demeanor grows dark as she continues, "If our quest is to be successful, we must not only gather the pieces we need but also eliminate potential resources from our enemies. In this case, that means we should take the children with us, if only to keep them safe from the iron grasp of the Pelans."

Daracaex
2014-03-12, 12:36 PM
Nuala Athear

Nuala shifted uncomfortably and finally opened the briefing. She knew she had spoken the truth, but she wasn't used to actually being listened to. Most people seemed to just take offense to her harsh honesty and not listen to what she was actually saying.

zingbobco000
2014-03-12, 01:09 PM
'I agree with Alric, we should go towards Havall'

MasterBen
2014-03-12, 07:56 PM
Rem smiles. "After the oracle then? I suppose we can make a decision regarding his children when we get there."

"Some good news though, Trebon has been preparing a location, a base of operations for us... as most of the capstone pieces are likely to be in the Faram Sea area, the large inland sea that borders the Pelan nations, it was deemed the logical choice. An old fort near a large river has been rebuilt, along with a ship and horses for transportation. We'll be working together now, so its important we move together, train together, fight together. We'll meet their as soon as possible and move on to secure the Oracle. I will be joining you at that camp, to act as support and mission director, as well as keeping track of the efforts of our enemies."

Rem slams his hand on the table and shouts "RIGHT!! Meeting adjourned! any quick questions before we head off?"

Binks
2014-03-12, 08:14 PM
Laseonus

"Splendid. A solid base of operations near the capstone's likely locations will undoutably come in a handy." the pale Deva says with a smile.

As Rem's enthusiasm to start seems to briefly get the better of him Laseonus simply shakes his head as an answer, he has no questions remaining.

Raine_Sage
2014-03-12, 08:29 PM
Selene smiles, the enthusiasm of their director seems infectious. At this moment it feels like they are sure to accomplish whatever they set their minds to.

"No questions here, I believe everything has been made perfectly clear."

zingbobco000
2014-03-12, 08:39 PM
"I have a single question, if we are to be traveling in this then who shall be our 'leader'?" It seems clear that Yaner has done this more than once.

GPuzzle
2014-03-12, 08:46 PM
"Ioun. She's the one leading us to victory."

zingbobco000
2014-03-12, 09:40 PM
"Ioun. She's the one leading us to victory."

"Of course, we shall all have our god's by our side at all times, but who shall provide us with guidance when we cannot reach the gods, or Rem. Such as in the heat of battle, or at some other stressful time."

Gavran
2014-03-13, 06:10 AM
Alaric Malthas

Giving only a small shake of his head, Alaric withholds from commenting. No one person here can lead us yet. Not before we've proven ourselves. Proven our loyalties to the alliance as a whole. But that time will come...

"No further questions, master Rem. Let us depart at once."

Felhammer
2014-03-13, 10:07 AM
ABEA

The deva scowls at Yaner, "Pelor is our leader, Ioun our guide. We have not a need for a mortal doyen." She then nods at Alaric, "Indeed. We must make haste."

zingbobco000
2014-03-13, 04:01 PM
What a religous group that I'm in. I ask the gods for guidance, but you cannot always rely on them. You must have some independence. Whatever, a leader will probably rise out of the dust on the wy there. He then says "Never mind about our leader. I have no further questions Rem."

Daracaex
2014-03-13, 04:47 PM
Nuala Athear

"I don't see that we need a leader, other than the alliance itself," Nuala said, closing her briefing and standing to go. "...Much less one of the beings who will destroy us if we fail to play their game," she muttered.

MasterBen
2014-03-13, 06:52 PM
"perhaps a field leader may be a valuable asset. At this time however, it may be unnecessary. Remember, we are all of different nations and faiths, but if our countries can agree and work together, then I solemnly hope that we can as well."

Rem begins to rewrap the tablet.

"I will be departing soon, I recommend all of you do the same, but take this chance to get to know each other. if we're going to be working together, it helps to know each others capabilities and strengths. Good luck, and Gods speed!"

GPuzzle
2014-03-13, 07:06 PM
Cestgax Sieversii

Cestgax turns to Nuala and says:

"So you're from Tharda as well? Who would guess, another Thardan trying to save the world from sure destruction."

He walks to the door, opens it and looks up.

"BY THE LOVE OF THE GODS, IT'S RAINING AGAIN! GODDAMNIT, KORD, WHY DO YOU WANT TO CREATE STORMS EVERY FIVE MINUTES?!"

He takes a deep breath, and walks out of the door.

"Well, at least there's no insects here."

Raine_Sage
2014-03-13, 07:44 PM
Selene chuckles softly at Cestgax's display. Peace friend, a little rain never hurt anyone." she soothed, "In fact it can be quite necessary. I'm sorry, I don't believe I caught your name?"

GPuzzle
2014-03-13, 07:49 PM
Selene chuckles softly at Cestgax's display. Peace friend, a little rain never hurt anyone." she soothed, "In fact it can be quite necessary. I'm sorry, I don't believe I caught your name?"

"Cestgax Sieversii, but I don't mind being called Cest."

Raine_Sage
2014-03-13, 09:09 PM
"A pleasure to make your acquaintance, of course, that goes for all of you as well. My name is Selene, and I look forward to working together in the days to come." she replied, inclining her head towards the rest of the group.

Binks
2014-03-13, 09:40 PM
Laseonus

Laseonus smiles as the introductions begin. Standing from his seat to join the building group of agents by the doorway he introduces himself. "I am known as Laseonus, though if you wish to use some shortened form I would not object. It is a pleasure to meet you all."

Stepping to the door to glance outside Laseonus smiles to himself. "I must say, I actually rather enjoy the rain myself. Perhaps I'm simply not as tired of it as you? Averem can be a very dry land."

Felhammer
2014-03-13, 10:23 PM
ABEA

The paladin rises with her racial kin and states, "I am Abea Natan, Paladin of Pelor from the lands of Trebon." She looks to each member of the group in turn, then states, "It is an honor to meet all of you."

Gavran
2014-03-14, 09:14 AM
Alaric Malthas

Alaric carefully places his copy of the briefing in a satchel slung over his shoulder before slowly rising from his chair and addressing the others.

"As you all may know, I am called Alaric. Alaric Malthas to be complete, though I'm unsure whether the name is my own or merely one given me by the clergy. I am here because a few of Brak's wiser luminaries decided the future's course ought to be steered by those who are mindful of the past. In the course of my studies I've had to learn more than a few languages, and I am a modest magician in my own right. I am nominally here as an employee of Brak's true representative, but as Dalim Boltek is a spoiled aristocrat too self-absorbed to even come to this meeting himself, I can only hope my humble service will be worthy when measured against genuine heroes like yourselves."

Binks
2014-03-14, 09:48 AM
Laseonus

Laseonus nods a friendly greeting to his fellow Deva before turning to the human scholar Alaric as he introduces himself.

"I am certain your gifts will be of great aid on this journey Alaric. And while your modesty does you great service, and I personally do appreciate the flattery," he adds with an amused smile, "I would say that your skill in reading part of the tablet here, has proven your ability to aid this group more than anyone else has at this time, myself included."

zingbobco000
2014-03-14, 01:57 PM
"Hello everyone. If we are introducing ourselves, I am Yuno. I am a simple traveler, from Serrai, who decided to join this crew of heroes."

Daracaex
2014-03-14, 03:50 PM
Cestgax Sieversii

Cestgax turns to Nuala and says:

"So you're from Tharda as well? Who would guess, another Thardan trying to save the world from sure destruction."

Nuala Athear

"Not the whole world, Tiefling. Just part of it. Much as I'd like to stop this cycle of destruction, I'm not sure anyone has the power to fight the gods."

Though perhaps if we succeed in assembling the capstone, we may finally get answers... Nuala thought to herself.

Nuala looked to each person as introductions were made, trying to memorize names. Cestgax would have issues if he was complaining about a little rain and bugs already. She decided to like Alaric and his deadpan sense of humor. Laseonus and Selene both seemed friendly, while Abea was a bit stiff.

"I am Nuala Athear, Seeker."

Felhammer
2014-03-14, 04:40 PM
ABEA

After scowling at the lout, Abea states, "We Trebons know well the guile and tenacity of the Pelans. This idle chatter can be continued once we are on the road. Every moment we delay, we allow the Pelans to inch that much closer to finding that which they seek and, thus, dooming the world to darkness."

zingbobco000
2014-03-14, 05:30 PM
"Well then Abea, let us leave. I have several rituals that I can produce that should be helpful to us on the road."

Yaner then gets up and begins to walk towards the door.

MasterBen
2014-03-15, 01:06 AM
After a few quick days of stormy sea traveling, your ships arrive at the mouth of the Kedras River. The river is long and deep, with many tributaries. after a half days journey you arrive at the Kivus tributary. about 5 miles up this river lies you base of operations, an old mining town and fort build into the low rocky mountain jutting out into the river. The town is old, small, and abandoned, but appears to have recently been rebuilt and restocked. you are informed that this river you came on branches south up ahead and turns towards the inland sea. you also have been supplied with riding horses for overland travel, and a nearby frontier town, in case you require certain resources or tools.
you'll be heading out for the oracle soon, but first you should probably get settled in.

zingbobco000
2014-03-15, 08:56 AM
"Well that was a rough ride. I wonder, should we just make ourselves at home? What do you guys think?"

GPuzzle
2014-03-15, 09:11 AM
"We should follow the river. If anything, I'm pretty sure the Elf here knows a bit about nature. Besides, if the town is abandoned, at least some marauders are bound to get there and steal some provisions. I think we've got the power to stop it. Or we also might find animals on the way to there. Who knows."

zingbobco000
2014-03-15, 09:44 AM
"I see no reason not to go to the frontier town, we could send a scout in to try and scout around their base to get the layout of it, and if we think we can take it I say that we go for it."

Binks
2014-03-15, 03:48 PM
Laseonus

Laseonus, wearing a grey cloak over his normal attire and doing his best to stay in good spirits after the rather unpleasant trip, shrugs as he looks around the new base of operations.

"Does anyone know where the Oracle is? Or has anyone seen Scholar Rem? I'm rather anxious to get started after that trip." he says, glancing about the area in an effort to memorize the basic location.

Felhammer
2014-03-15, 05:20 PM
ABEA

The deva breathed the familiar Trebon air in deeply. She liked her homeland. No, she loved it. The hilly countryside, the craggy coast, the cool breezes that swept through the mountains. All of it. She had seen their new base of operations before, in her travels with with her former master, Dorin Black. That felt like a life age ago... Not unlike the memory fragments that plagued the deva's dreams...

She shook off such thoughts and returned her gaze to the fort. Abea walked confidently into the fort and headed inside to look around and claim a bunk.

Daracaex
2014-03-15, 05:37 PM
Nuala Athear

Nuala adjusted her pack and her bow across her shoulders as she stepped off the boat and nodded to Cestgax. "I can get us where we need to go," she said confidently. "If we leave soon, we can likely cover some miles between us and the Oracle before dark."

zingbobco000
2014-03-15, 07:33 PM
"i have a spell that should be able to quicken our pace if we decide to venture on. I think that it should allow us to get there quite quickly.

Gavran
2014-03-15, 08:53 PM
Alaric Malthas

"I'm sorry to cause further delay but I was unable to get any reading done during our journey - storms and seasickness, you know. There are a few things I wanted to look into before we left that may be of use. Also, someone should probably try to coordinate with Rem to make sure everyone staying behind is safe and doing something useful. We should be able to leave soon, I think, but some time to unpack and to get acquainted with the place seems appropriate."

Without waiting for any disagreement Alaric grabs his heavily book-laden trunk and heads deeper into the fortress, searching for an isolated room to claim as his quarters. Upon finding one to his liking he enters, closing the door behind him. He unpacks his things in silence for a few minutes to ensure nobody decided to check on him, then while ordering his books on the shelves addresses the seemingly empty room in Supernal.

"So. I trust you've been following along? What can you tell me? Specifically, I want to know about this Iounic dialect. Can you understand it? Can you teach me? No... Ioun's secrets wouldn't be available to you." Alaric pauses for a moment, thinking. "Okay - the Oracle can understand it because his ancestor invoked the ritual for Calvara, right? Then who completed the ritual before them? Isn't it possible that there are other bloodlines with that power?"

At the mention of Alaric's questions, the imp Vetis laughs and says, "Ah my foolish friend, you know nothing without the help of your little demon guide? So foolhardy and insignificant, but I can tell you something, oh yes oh yes I can. I have a prophecy for you, ooh its good, 'Beware the grey scarred man, the friend of your father.' Oh that's interesting, what's that mean I wonder..." He stays there sitting on the shelf with a quirky smile on his face.

With a long-suffering sigh Alaric puts the last book in its place. "You know, if you can't tell me you could just say so. I suppose it makes sense that you'd be prohibited from direct intervention in divine affairs. Very well. Let's get ready for travel and go find the others. Remember your orders, let no one discover you without my consent."

He flips his satchel open, allowing the imp to flit over to it and conceal himself, then starts heading through the fortress halls looking for the others.

Explanations here. :P
I was initially planning to play Vetis myself, and that involved a lot of PMing and rolling ahead of time (so that I could "answer" my own skill checks), but MasterBen has offered to take direct control. Thus, things should be a bit less opaque from now on. I'm also using bold to indicate Supernal, though it's safe to assume it is the only language the two will converse in while Vetis remains a secret. And about him remaining a secret, just a friendly reminder - if it's in character for you to be suspicious, be suspicious! There's a lot of really high Perceptions and Insights in our group. :p I fully expect someone to at least notice him talking to himself in weird languages if nothing else, and confrontations should be good RPing fun.

Edit: Oh, and I rolled two 1's for the Religion and History checks I was making here. xP

Raine_Sage
2014-03-15, 09:29 PM
"I would at least like a chance to settle in before rushing off again. It shouldn't take but a moment." Selene said, breezing past the others as though they were not even there, disappearing inside the fortress.

Unlike Alaric who selected a rather out of the way room, Selene looked for one with windows and preferably looked out over the abandoned town below. She had not brought many things with her, just what she was able to carry, and a small picture of herself and a tall pale young man which she set on the nightstand beside her bed.

She ran a hand nervously through her hair, alright, she could do this. She would do this. Everything would be alright and nothing would go wrong and...Selene took a deep breath. Once again the picture of self assured calm she went out to rejoin the others.

MasterBen
2014-03-15, 09:31 PM
Rem appears from the gates of the city, with a couple of guards at his sides.
"Welcome my friends and Allies!" he shouts upon seeing you.
"here is the lovely homestead the kind people of Trebon have prepared for us. I recommend you get settled in quickly and then we can begin our preparations. I have some new information that may prove useful in our quest, and that may allow us to succeed on to fronts. It appears Pelan's forces have been stopped by the traps and defenses in the mine, its bought us another week at best, and we believe their may be a secret entrance as well, i'll see what can be dug up, wile you recover the Oracle. Have you decided what to do with his children? It also seems that the trait is only passed to the eldest child, so the younger one would be worthless in that regard..."

"But anyway!, please come in quickly, settle in, and you can head to the horses and begone at once."

Raine_Sage
2014-03-15, 09:33 PM
Selene looks up as Rem arrives at last bearing good news indeed. She looks towards the others. "Well, even if the younger cannot read Ionic, there is no reason not to bring both of them. There is more than enough room for all of them, and it is safer that way."

GPuzzle
2014-03-15, 09:33 PM
Alaric Malthas

"I'm sorry to cause further delay but I was unable to get any reading done during our journey - storms and seasickness, you know. There are a few things I wanted to look into before we left that may be of use. Also, someone should probably try to coordinate with Rem to make sure everyone staying behind is safe and doing something useful. We should be able to leave soon, I think, but some time to unpack and to get acquainted with the place seems appropriate."

Without waiting for any disagreement Alaric grabs his heavily book-laden trunk and heads deeper into the fortress, searching for an isolated room to claim as his quarters. Upon finding one to his liking he enters, closing the door behind him. He unpacks his things in silence for a few minutes to ensure nobody decided to check on him, then while ordering his books on the shelves addresses the seemingly empty room in Supernal.

"So. I trust you've been following along? What can you tell me? Specifically, I want to know about this Iounic dialect. Can you understand it? Can you teach me? No... Ioun's secrets wouldn't be available to you." Alaric pauses for a moment, thinking. "Okay - the Oracle can understand it because his ancestor invoked the ritual for Calvara, right? Then who completed the ritual before them? Isn't it possible that there are other bloodlines with that power?"

At the mention of Alaric's questions, the imp Vetis laughs and says, "Ah my foolish friend, you know nothing without the help of your little demon guide? So foolhardy and insignificant, but I can tell you something, oh yes oh yes I can. I have a prophecy for you, ooh its good, 'Beware the grey scarred man, the friend of your father.' Oh that's interesting, what's that mean I wonder..." He stays there sitting on the shelf with a quirky smile on his face.

With a long-suffering sigh Alaric puts the last book in its place. "You know, if you can't tell me you could just say so. I suppose it makes sense that you'd be prohibited from direct intervention in divine affairs. Very well. Let's get ready for travel and go find the others. Remember your orders, let no one discover you without my consent."

He flips his satchel open, allowing the imp to flit over to it and conceal himself, then starts heading through the fortress halls looking for the others.

Explanations here. :P
I was initially planning to play Vetis myself, and that involved a lot of PMing and rolling ahead of time (so that I could "answer" my own skill checks), but MasterBen has offered to take direct control. Thus, things should be a bit less opaque from now on. I'm also using bold to indicate Supernal, though it's safe to assume it is the only language the two will converse in while Vetis remains a secret. And about him remaining a secret, just a friendly reminder - if it's in character for you to be suspicious, be suspicious! There's a lot of really high Perceptions and Insights in our group. :p I fully expect someone to at least notice him talking to himself in weird languages if nothing else, and confrontations should be good RPing fun.

Edit: Oh, and I rolled two 1's for the Religion and History checks I was making here. xP

Cestgax

After finally finding a room where there wasn't water leaking from the roof and unpacking his stuff, the Tiefling lay down. Finally he was going to sleep in a decent place. He took off his scale armor, and put his shield and hammer in a corner. Finally, he had arrived in another country. The other paladin seemed at the same time happy and disturbed with the place, to say the least.

Well, it was not more disturbing than the weird voices he heard in the other room. Wasn't that Alaric guy resting there? Well, he would ask him later on, to say the least. What kind of language was that, anyway? Supernal?

Felhammer
2014-03-15, 09:51 PM
ABEA

The deva is overjoyed at the news. "This fits in with our plans delightfully well. Pelor has indeed blessed this journey."

Turning her attention to the bard, "I agree Selene. The children will be safest away from the ever watchful eyes of the Pelans. I am loathe to think of the terrors those mad with the desire for power would wreak upon a defenseless child." Thinking for a moment the paladin continues, "They should be given the best of the fort's rooms, for they are not prisoners. Merely persons of great importance. We do not wish to sour their opinions of us if we proved less than gracious hosts. Afterall," the deva sighs mournfully, "We are taking them away from their home. The least we can do is be as kind as possible."

Raine_Sage
2014-03-15, 11:09 PM
Selene looks exceedingly pleased with Abea's thoughts on the matter. "I really couldn't have put it better myself. I agree whole heartedly, though I do not know much of Pelan's methods what I have heard of them is far from complimentary. Hopefully when all is said and done we will be able to return them to their home in peace.""

zingbobco000
2014-03-16, 09:28 AM
Yaner finds a room that should suit him nicely, he searches for one and evantually finds it. He takes his armor off and lies down on the bed and closes his eyes. He wakes up suddenly, the guards yelling in his ear "GET UP" is still fresh in his mind. He thinks to himself, It was just a dream. He thinks to himself, and closes his eyes.

Binks
2014-03-17, 10:45 AM
Laseonus

Laseonus finds quarters for himself and settles in, leaving behind what little extra gear he brought that would not be needed on their immediate quest. Once that is complete he heads out and begins inquiring about where to find the stables, intending to head there and wait for the others so the trip to the Oracle can begin.

MasterBen
2014-03-17, 09:48 PM
About an hour after the last arrival, everyone is settled and ready to depart. The horse stables are near the southeast end of the town. You find Rem and several soldiers standing around. Rem calls you over, and looks around in confusion for Yaner. "would someone fetch our sleeping bard..." 2 guards hurry off towards the bard's new quarter's.
"while we wait for him, I'll give you a quick run down. Mecenais, a small town in northern Havall, is the home of the oracle and his family. the town was build around the ancient Mount Orathis, which has long been an important religious center, especially in the worship of Moradin and Pelor. Many small temple dot the city. The Oracle lives in the south of the city, next to Pelor's grand temple. Its a small 2 story building, with a high outer wall. Your mission will be to arrive their as quickly as possible, find the oracle, get him out of the city without any town guards noticing, and return him here. Havall is a day's ride away, so be careful."
Rem's face darkens and he lowers his head.
"Havall is one of Pelan's closest allies, so all their resources will likely be pulled towards assisting them. be careful, when you are their, your enemies will be everywhere."

"I will see you when you return, I have more research to do on the first capstone piece location."

zingbobco000
2014-03-17, 10:05 PM
The half-elf awakes by getting shaken up by two guards. He then runs down the stairs and heard the last couple sentences of what they are supposed to do. "sir yes sir!" he exclaims. We should go to this base straightaway. He runs over to the stables and hops on a horse.

Raine_Sage
2014-03-17, 10:09 PM
Selene ponders Rems words as they prepare to set off. So they are to recover the Oracle and his family without the town noticing, no small task. A large cart could of course smuggle two or three people, perhaps in barrels of some sort...

But if the oracle lived in Havall, would he even wish to help them? It seemed likely that he might feel some loyalty to his home country, or even to Pelan if they were on such good terms. Well they would cross those bridges when they came to them, for now she kept her thoughts to herself.

Binks
2014-03-18, 10:19 AM
Laseonus

Laseonus listens to Rem's instructions carefully before heading out. He leaves the logistics of sneaking the family out to the others, being not much of a stealth expert himself, and instead focuses on trying to figure out how the Oracle can be convinced to join them.

Felhammer
2014-03-18, 03:47 PM
ABEA

Abea smiles, "We will most likely need some form of conveyance for those we wish to smuggle out of Havall. The easiest method would be to disguise ourselves as merchants. We could hide the Oracle and his children in barrels or crates and bury them at the bottom/back of the cart, so as to avoid prying eyes. In addition, the merchant story would give us justification as to why there are so many well armed individuals (as every merchant needs guards!)."

MasterBen
2014-03-18, 09:26 PM
Rem nods, "Whatever you intend to do, i trust you to make the right decision."

he ushers you towards the stables and shouts, "NOW BE OFF!!! You must ride quickly and with purpose, for who knows how long it may be before the enemy finds the oracle."

you mount your horses and take of towards the plains of empty land between Trebon and Havall. Its around midday when you depart, and by nightfall the plains have turned to desert, and you have seen no signs of civilization.

you take a quick break as nightfall comes, what do you intend to do?

zingbobco000
2014-03-18, 09:32 PM
Rem nods, "Whatever you intend to do, i trust you to make the right decision."

he ushers you towards the stables and shouts, "NOW BE OFF!!! You must ride quickly and with purpose, for who knows how long it may be before the enemy finds the oracle."

you mount your horses and take of towards the plains of empty land between Trebon and Havall. Its around midday when you depart, and by nightfall the plains have turned to desert, and you have seen no signs of civilization.

you take a quick break as nightfall comes, what do you intend to do?

Note: whenever we are traveling I have a ritual that speeds up our overland speed to please allow me to do that or, you can just not and be mean.

Yuno asks the rest of the group: "what do you think? Should we continue or should we take a break for the night?"

Raine_Sage
2014-03-18, 09:54 PM
"It may be easier to travel a little further without the sun in our faces. However, he have been away so long already, I know I am beginning to feel rather weary. No doubt so is my horse."

Selene looked to the others. "I do not know this area well however, would it even be safe to camp out here in the open like this?"

zingbobco000
2014-03-18, 10:25 PM
"We should probobly camp somewhat away from the road, too close and we might get somewhat unwanted attention."

MasterBen
2014-03-18, 10:43 PM
(Don't worry Zing, I'm counting your ritual for travel distance)

Felhammer
2014-03-18, 10:46 PM
ABEA

The deva paladin adds to the conversation between Lady Selene and the half-elf, "Traveling a bit farther would not be ill-adviced. When we do break for camp, I propose we head a hundred yards off the beaten path, that way we have time to ready ourselves in case of an attack.

zingbobco000
2014-03-18, 10:53 PM
(subtracting 15 gp as part of components. Will use create campsite if so required.)

Gavran
2014-03-18, 11:31 PM
Alaric Malthas

"Ideally we'll want to make camp just a few hours from our destination, so that we can arrive in the morning and well rested but..." he glances back down the way they came. "To be quite frank I have no idea how far we've come or have yet ahead of us. I never really did much traveling, before all this."

@Zing
You can actually cast it for free 1/day as part of your Bardic Training feature.

MasterBen
2014-03-18, 11:58 PM
You estimate that you are about two thirds of the way there, perhaps 6 more hours of riding...

GPuzzle
2014-03-19, 04:16 AM
Alaric Malthas

"Ideally we'll want to make camp just a few hours from our destination, so that we can arrive in the morning and well rested but..." he glances back down the way they came. "To be quite frank I have no idea how far we've come or have yet ahead of us. I never really did much traveling, before all this."

@Zing
You can actually cast it for free 1/day as part of your Bardic Training feature.

Cestgax moves his horse towards Alaric and whispers:
"Hey, I heard you talking in some strange voices back at the frontier town? What was it? Supernal, maybe?"

Gavran
2014-03-19, 08:50 AM
Alaric Malthas

Alaric quirks an eyebrow at the red-skinned warrior beside him. "Did you now? I didn't realize you knew the language! Sorry if I bothered you, sometimes I have a tendency to read aloud when I'm really focused, and I was reading this fascinating journal that mentions the Capstone. You could borrow it if you want!" He beams at Cestgax, though if one was very good at reading people or knew him a little better they could tell it was forced.

Mental Note: Find a new place to consult Vetis. Also... instruct him to scribe a fake journal in Supernal back at the fort while I'm asleep. His invisibility should be sufficient to keep him hidden should anyone come calling in the night. Be more careful! You're not working with disinterested nobles anymore, these people have lived exceptional lives and if you lose their trust you won't be able to assemble the Capstone.

zingbobco000
2014-03-19, 09:05 AM
"i think that we can afford maybe an hour or two of travel before we rest for the night."

Yuno suspiciously glances at Alaric but shrugs it off. if he has a secret he will tell us in due time.

Binks
2014-03-19, 10:26 AM
Laseonus

"It could be dangerous to travel at night and, as our destination is a town, I do not think we need to be overly worried about rest before reaching it. In fact it would probably be more believable for our group of 'wandering merchants' to arrive a bit weary from the trip." Laseonus notes as he looks around at the area.

"If we wish to continue onwards I will follow but it seems to me that our best move would be to make camp at this point."

Gavran
2014-03-19, 10:33 AM
Alaric Malthas

Latching quickly onto the change in conversation, Alaric offers his agreement. "While I think we could probably go a bit further, we really can't be too far out now. We shouldn't let our haste be too apparent to any observers, and arriving too early in the morning would seem strange. And I do find I'd rather like a meal..."

zingbobco000
2014-03-19, 11:27 AM
"So, we are all in agreement to stop for the night?"

Yuno asks.

Felhammer
2014-03-19, 11:39 AM
ABEA

The paladin nods in agreement.

Binks
2014-03-19, 11:44 AM
Laseonus

Laseonus nods as well.

zingbobco000
2014-03-19, 01:46 PM
"Well, in that case..." Yuno plays on his harp for around 10 minutes and as each minute passes nature spirits appear from the woods. These spirits begin to create a campsite for the group, unrolling bedrolls, finding fresh water, conceal the campsite, prepare a nourishing meal, and set up tents.

The perception DC to notice the campsite is: (Nature, not a trained skill...)[roll0] These spirits are very good at this aren't they. :smalltongue:

MasterBen
2014-03-19, 02:59 PM
Your playing appears to have offended the few desert spirits that inhabit this barren region. You feel the wind pick up and the night air begins to go very cold. You begin to feel the pelting of frozen sand and dust as the wind harries you away...

Felhammer
2014-03-19, 03:39 PM
ABEA

The paladin sighs as she looks at the half-elf, "Indeed, he is useless."

Looking to her other companions, the deva asks, "Can any of our number appease the spirits that traverse this region? I do not wish to sleep where we are not welcome."

Raine_Sage
2014-03-19, 03:51 PM
Selene brings up a hand to shield her eyes from the stinging sand. I do not know, but I will try to help."

Dismounting from her horse she approaches the whirling sands in an attempt to sooth them.
"Our band means no harm to this place." she says. "We wish only to rest the evening and come morning we shall be on our way. Please will you not allow us to share your grounds only for a night, and in return we will be happy to leave an offering of thanks."

[roll0]

zingbobco000
2014-03-19, 04:43 PM
Your playing appears to have offended the few desert spirits that inhabit this barren region. You feel the wind pick up and the night air begins to go very cold. You begin to feel the pelting of frozen sand and dust as the wind harries you away...

It's just for concealing, unless they are an actual encounter, and this was planned this shouldn't have happened... :smallconfused:

zingbobco000
2014-03-19, 05:14 PM
If it is an encounter though Yuno hopes that his words can talk him out of his previous failure.

"What my friend says is true. We mean you no harm, we just want to spend our time here. Please spare your land with us for a short time, we shall be on our way soon."

Use Words of Friendship to gain a +5 to my next diplomacy roll. [roll0] Hopefully that makes up for my previous mishap which was not supposed to happen.

MasterBen
2014-03-19, 07:13 PM
The wind begins to quiet and clear, and the air begins to warm again. you notice a suitable location to camp, where the sand is soft but supportive.

((A few quick things of note and clarity.

1: You are riding through empty desert frontier, there's barely a trail and certainly no forests.
2:the reason Zing failed is because their are few spirits out in this part anyways, and those are wind and earth spirits at that. They are wild, rugged, and uncivilized souls who would know little if any of the comforts of men.
3:Zing also failed because, while you describe the spirits doing this, simple harp playing wouldn't be enough, and probably should have been accompanied by a DC check to convince them to assist you.

if anyone is still confused, please message me.))

zingbobco000
2014-03-19, 07:22 PM
"Thank you spirits." Yuno says softly. Then begins to set up his bedroll by hand. Well that was useful, 15 gold. Wasted.

Gavran
2014-03-19, 10:51 PM
Alaric Malthas

Alaric offers the bard a wan smile, "They are fickle creatures, friend. Don't take it personally."

Yawning as he rolls out his own bed, he adds "We should probably set up a watch." He performs a quick mental calculation. "Our three keenest taking three hour shifts, perhaps? The middle watcher will have to split their sleep, but... since it's my idea I'll join them. I wouldn't trust my own eyes to spot any real threats, though."

Binks
2014-03-20, 12:00 AM
Laseonus

Laseonus speaks up following Alaric. "I will gladly offer my eyes for watch but it is not one of my strong points I'm afraid." he notes, glancing about to see if any of the others with volunteer.

Perception of 5, it's untrained. I doubt that's in the top 3 of our party but IC am willing to take a watch.

Raine_Sage
2014-03-20, 12:37 AM
"I would volunteer for the middle watch, I've never really been too bothered by irregular sleeping habits, and I would feel better with another pair of eyes besides my own." Selene offered as she settled down on her bed roll.

My perception is 8, but the dice seem to hate me so there's that.

Felhammer
2014-03-20, 02:13 AM
ABEA

Yawning, Abea chimes in, Though there are probably superior watchmen in the group, I volunteer for a shift as well.

Perception is a +4

GPuzzle
2014-03-20, 04:10 AM
Perception is a 4, but the dice seems to be cursed.

zingbobco000
2014-03-20, 09:34 AM
"So it's settled then. Abea, you take first watch.
Selene, you take second. And lasneous, you take third. " Yuno then stretches and lies down on his bedroll.

Daracaex
2014-03-20, 02:07 PM
Nuala Athear

"I'll stay up as well," Nuala informed the others. Without elaborating, she pulled out her bedroll, sat down on it facing towards the thing that amounted to a trail they had been following, and wrapped the blankets from her roll around her. It could get very cold in the desert at night.

I imagine I likely have the highest perception in the party at +12 (Passive 22). Too bad Elves don't get the trance feature Eladrin get or we wouldn't have to set up watches at all.

MasterBen
2014-03-20, 11:16 PM
the night drags on uneventfully. Nothing of importance is noted, except that a little after midnight, a couple of large desert lizards wander past the camp, but fail to notice you.

you wake up early the next morning with the sunrise...

Gavran
2014-03-20, 11:23 PM
Alaric Malthas

"Right then! I'm a bit of a heavy sleeper so don't hold back when it's our turn and I'm not up." He gets into his bedroll, checks his bag is secure next to him, and attempts to go to sleep.

Felhammer
2014-03-21, 12:17 AM
ABEA

The paladin wakes at dawn and immediately turns to face the rising star and quietly prays to Pelor - Lord of the Sun. Following her prayers, the deva dons her armor, cleans up her campsite and enjoys a hearty breakfast of jam and journeybread. She only gives passing mind to her fellow companions, assuming they are likely deep in thought and prayer for the day to come.

zingbobco000
2014-03-21, 09:16 AM
The bard streches and gets up out of his bed roll. "Ahhh... So! Shall we continue? he asks getting ready to travel.

Binks
2014-03-21, 10:10 AM
Laseonus

Having had third watch Laseonus is already awake as the sun rises. As the others begin rising and his watch duty ends the Deva grabs some rations from his pack, just bread and water, for despite his lavish taste in clothing he has never seen much use is having complex meals when traveling...and he's a poor enough cook that he could probably find a way to ruin anything more complex.

Once fed, with his chain armor on, spear stowed on his back, and gear distributed across himself Laseonus waits for the others to fully awaken and prepare themselves for the remainder of the trip ahead.

MasterBen
2014-03-22, 12:42 AM
Packing together your stuff, you ride out into the desert. The sun hangs overhead when you arrive at the city. The city is surrounded by high walls of sandstone, carved with ancient picture of Pelor. over the walls, you see the mighty mount Orathis. Atop this peak sits an ancient stone temple.

the first Gateway you notice appears to have a line for entry, where several guards are performing thorough checks on all incoming peoples, under the supervision of a military figure, clad in white and bearing the sun of pelor on his chest and shoulder...

Daracaex
2014-03-22, 02:33 AM
Nuala Athear

Nuala stared at the walls and gate before her. "Do we have a plan to get in?" she asked her companions. Perhaps they might scale the walls, if there was a place they wouldn't be seen? She did have some climbing gear, but she usually used it for mountains and cliffs, not city walls.

zingbobco000
2014-03-31, 10:33 AM
Nuala Athear

Nuala stared at the walls and gate before her. "Do we have a plan to get in?" she asked her companions. Perhaps they might scale the walls, if there was a place they wouldn't be seen? She did have some climbing gear, but she usually used it for mountains and cliffs, not city walls.

The bard pauses for a moment, pondering something. "I believe that I can find us a way in, though it might not work." He then consists to tell them the plan.

The plan is to disguise as farmers and merchants who are trying to get in to the city. Yaner has a decent bluff check (+6). Or we could play it differently, and try to convince the guards to let us into the city for who we are, might be harder. But I have a diplomacy check to match. (+17 on my first roll, and then +12 for the rest.)

Gavran
2014-03-31, 04:28 PM
Alaric Malthas

Speaking softly, as much to himself as to the group Alaric muses "I'm not particularly good at sneaking around and if we get caught doing so we'll be facing a lot of suspicion... but if the guards are expecting us - if they know why we're here - then they may not believe we're just bystanders unless we can be really convincing. "

History to recall local merchant customs and valuable imports/exports of the area.
[roll0]

GPuzzle
2014-03-31, 04:35 PM
"Well, let's see who we have here. There's a scholar, two religious people dressed in heavy armor, an elf that has some connection with the spirits, a deva with a psionic halo over his head, and a pair who can pass as musicians. I'm thinking about saying that we're a traveling circus, you and Selene are musicians, Laseonus reads emotions, Alaric spits fire - I mean, he's a wizard, he can certainly fake it, Nuala fires arrows blind-folded, which she should be able to do, and me and Abea are bodyguards, and we two are also extremely religious. Then again, I don't expect anyone to trust a Tiefling's plan."

zingbobco000
2014-03-31, 05:40 PM
"Believe me, I can be quite convincing when I want to."

[roll0] OOC: Eh, I could have done better.

MasterBen
2014-03-31, 06:27 PM
as the group spends some time debating, you see the line begins to shorten quickly. The guards appear to admit anyone, but are collecting certain things from people, as well as other items. (perception to figure out what the guards are searching for). it also appears the white guard is foreign to this part of the country, through his accent and mannerisms.

GPuzzle
2014-03-31, 06:38 PM
"Hello, gentlemen. You see, me and my troupe, we're just a traveling circus. Well, most of them are, me and the other guy in heavy armor aren't, we're their bodyguards. The two individuals there are musicians, the one dressed in the robes spits fire, the other Deva reads people's emotions and the Elf shoots arrows blindfolded. We mean no harm, and we won't do no harm. Well, unless someone bribes us with free beer, but that has never happened. Would you please let us in?"

Insight to find out where's the white guard from and Bluff roll to make them believe in our history, respectively:

Insight: +5(trained)+2(Wisdom)+1(level)=+8

1d20+8

Bluff: +4(Charisma)+2(racial)+1(level)=+7

1d20+7

EDIT: DAMNIT, IT HAS BUGGED OUT!

zingbobco000
2014-03-31, 06:50 PM
"Yes, I am John Smith (Alias) a simple performer in this circus of ours. Would you happen to spare any coin? Time has been tough, and we haven't been able to find a city in months and we only got our food from some trading posts where we spent the rest of our money. We are quite skilled, but we haven't had anyone to listen to our performances and supply us with enough money! Please let us in to the city so we can get enough money to get by? And if you can a bit of pocket change."

Bluff: Come on, please don't be like my last rolls. Please... :smallwink: [roll0]

EWugvhboislkjb.nLRIUBKFEHNSB;OLT.EKNDFP;LSB/TF!!! :smallannoyed:

It's still a 17, hopefully they don't pay us too much attention.

Felhammer
2014-03-31, 07:47 PM
ABEA

The deva paladin sighs. She hated it when people went off an agreed upon script. Putting on a happy face, she looks to the guard and smiles, "Hello, there! We are indeed performers. We promise to respect your city and bring joy to all. Please let us pass with out incidence. If you do, I am sure my friend here would be willing to sing a tune for you."

[roll0]

MasterBen
2014-03-31, 08:02 PM
The guards appear tired and do not care to think about your story very carefully, a lucky break for you. The guard in white and yellow nods to one of his fellows, who says. "of course sirs and ladies, it is a pleasure to have you in our beloved city. There are a few rules to be observed however. You may not carry any weapons larger than a dagger, without permit from the captain of the guards, the Lord of our fair city, or one of the high priests. second, please keep any performing and distractions out of the temple district, for the sake of the worshipers who may be in session. respect for the gods and what not... otherwise, enjoy yourselves, our good city awaits!"

Gavran
2014-03-31, 08:29 PM
Alaric Malthas

Well I suppose this is how we're doing it then... time to play my part.

Coming forward from the back of the group, Alaric loudly addresses everyone, resting his hands on his hips in a gesture of over the top arrogance. "Johnny lad, what is this delay? The Sensational Sebastian is weary from the road, and eager to sample the delights of the nearest tavern!" He glances down at the guard as if just noticing him. "Ah, I see now! Thank you for your welcome, friend." He makes a show of leaning on his staff. "Would that provision include taking the stage props from magicians? It's no trouble if you need to, I am a master of my craft and would prefer to make a few adjustments to my act than to cause you trouble."

Daracaex
2014-03-31, 08:56 PM
Nuala Athear

Nuala shifts uncomfortably at the guard's mention of confiscating weapons. The group was apparently masquerading as performers now, so she tried to play along with that. Well, as far as she was able, at least.

"I shoot my bow," she offered as explanation.

It's not TECHNICALLY a lie, but if you need one anyway...
[roll0]

Raine_Sage
2014-03-31, 10:51 PM
"Your rules seem more than fair. However, as my bow is literally my instrument, I don't suppose I might ask how one acquires a permit?" Selene asks, looking a little put out. She likes her bow, it was a gift and more importantly very handy in the event of an emergency. However Abea's answer gives her an idea.

"Especially since without them how are dear Abea and I supposed to do our show together? It seems we will be in need of one of those permits most dearly."

Felhammer
2014-03-31, 11:37 PM
ABEA

The paladin rubs her spiked gauntlet as the guard states weapons are forbidden. She contemplates whether the gauntlet would prove mighty enough in case of a fight... Just then, a smile as grows across Abea's face as Selene once more proves her worth with an astounding idea. The deva smiles warmly and nods as her companion finishes her justification.

Binks
2014-04-01, 10:17 AM
Laseonus

Keeping quiet, the better to play up the part of a mysterious emotion reader, Laseonus stands in the back of the group with a blank expression on his face as the guard speaks with the others. As the others questions how to receive permits he follows suit as well.

"I sense you are anxious for us to move along. Pray tell where our group can acquire permits and we shall be out of your way." he says in as mysterious and otherworldly a voice he can manage.

If a diplomacy check is required [roll0]

MasterBen
2014-04-01, 05:52 PM
The guard shakes his head, a tired and weary look on his face. "Sorry folks, but the laws are set in stone. besides, my superiors would chew me out if they knew i'd let someone through." he turns, looking anxiously at the yellow and white guard. "You can turn in your weapons and whatever else you feel you may want kept safe during your time here at that doorway on the left wall of the courtyard beyond the gate." the guard hands you a stamped piece of paper. "welcome to our city, and please enjoy your stay."

((the guard in yellow and white appears to be from the west coast, making him most likely Pelan))

Daracaex
2014-04-01, 10:35 PM
Nuala Athear

Nuala sighed and turned to the others. "I'm not giving up my father's bow. I'll sleep outside the walls. I won't be very entertaining without it anyway."

She turned to go, then paused, getting an idea. "Why not give whatever you don't want to give them to me? I'll keep them safe until we're ready to move on." She hoped the others would get her meaning. Scaling the wall may be necessary after all, and she could bring the weapons with her when she finally got into the city.

zingbobco000
2014-04-01, 10:37 PM
Yuno hands his weapon to Nuala.

Gavran
2014-04-01, 11:14 PM
Alaric Malthas

Alaric offers his staff, his face a serious mask and his tone grave. "Very well! Take good care of it and... if it starts talking to you or lighting anything on fire, send for me at once! Aduersus can be fickle away from its master..."

Felhammer
2014-04-01, 11:57 PM
ABEA

The deva pulls her sheathed longsword from her belt and gently hands it to Nuala, "This sword was given to me by the man who trained me in the ways of the Paladin. Please do not lose it."

GPuzzle
2014-04-02, 04:18 AM
"We'll be near. If you need us, leave the following message on the gates: The Oracle isn't here. I beg you."

And he slowly drops the Warhammer to her side.

zingbobco000
2014-04-02, 09:04 AM
"Shall we be off then? We have to get our tent set up inside the city guys!" Does that require a bluff check? If so [roll0]. Yuno walks into the town.

Binks
2014-04-02, 10:09 AM
Laseonus

Laseonus hands his spear to Nuala as well before following the others into the city.

Raine_Sage
2014-04-02, 01:12 PM
With a reluctant sigh Selene hands her bow over to Nuala as well before following the others into the city.

MasterBen
2014-04-02, 06:42 PM
You emerge from the gate in what appears to be a market district. Dozen's of stalls selling fruit, clothe, spices, furniture, tapestries, and much more line the roads and walls. You can see Mount Orathis in the background, the mountain marking the middle of the town and the temple district where the oracle resides.

((streetwise checks for more info))

Gavran
2014-04-02, 06:59 PM
Alaric Malthas

Waiting until the group is well clear of the gates and crowds before speaking, Alaric muses "Well, we've made it inside... should we try to gather some information first or head straight for our destination?"

zingbobco000
2014-04-03, 09:58 AM
Alaric Malthas

Waiting until the group is well clear of the gates and crowds before speaking, Alaric muses "Well, we've made it inside... should we try to gather some information first or head straight for our destination?"

"We should probably check around first. Who knows what secrets are in this town?"

Streetwise: [roll0] Another 5... :smallyuk:

Daracaex
2014-04-03, 10:02 AM
Nuala Athear

Nuala gathered her companions' weapons and made her way back up the road a short distance before going off it, observing as much as she could about the entrance to the city and the walls around it. She would try to find a good spot nearby to sit and watch the guards and look for a good spot to enter the city undetected, whether it was through a gate somehow or over the wall. Hiding in the back of a wagon or cart might be a possibility as well, but she wouldn't consider that until she knew how thoroughly the guards examined what passed into the city.

In any case, the first thing she did once far enough away to be undetected was to pull out her bed roll, unstrung her and Selene's bows, and wrap all the weapons that would fit into the bedding. She did her best to arrange everything to look like a normal pack. Then she sat down to watch and wait. If she found a good-looking spot to scale the wall, she would probably have to wait for nightfall, where her keener eyes might give her an advantage.

Perception to spot ways into the city (scalable sections of wall, whether guards are checking carts and wagons, etc):
[roll0]
Failing that, my passive perception is 22 and I will gladly take the time to "take 20" on the roll, if possible.

Insight to intuit guard patrol patterns, changes in watch, methods in searching newcomers, etc:
[roll1] or passive 20

Dungeoneering to evaluate wall for scalability or take advantage of other pieces of architecture nearby:
[roll2]

Binks
2014-04-03, 10:15 AM
Laseonus

"Agreed. We don't want to be blindsided by some local happenings we didn't expect." Laseonus says as he looks around, adding "And I for one would be more comfortable with this meeting with all of our group here."

Streetwise: [roll0]

MasterBen
2014-04-03, 05:23 PM
The City Party
As you scan the area, you begin to pick up rumors or distress in temple district. It appears that an important figure from the grand church of Pelan are currently in the city and paying tribute. more rumors persist that both a bishop and the Grand Paladin are currently here, explaining the currently ramped up security. Apparently this city normally has few restrictions on weapons or incoming goods, but in the past week, things have taken a turn for the worst. most of the people in town feel uncomfortable agitated, but content to move on with their lives. Some are even ecstatic about the visit of such high ranking members of Pelan's church. There also appears to have been a sandstorm recently, you here talk of damage on the eastern wall. You also here that the city aqueducts could make an effective escape route, a well protected (if wet) pathway out of the city to a river nearby.

((thanks to Binks' natural 20, if there is anything else you want to know, ask))

Nuala
The guards appear to search everything carefully, far more so than any normal town would warrant. the normal guards have little understanding of why, but the yellow and white guards are acting in a very careful and controlled manner, forcing their men to keep extra cautious and vigilant. You are able to pinpoint a spot on the east wall, where massive amounts of sand have piled up. a recent sandstorm caused the damage, and it appears to be in the process of repairs. scaffolding has been set up, and is usually watched by 4 guards at any given time.you do identify the the shifts change every 2 hours at night and every 4 during the day.

GPuzzle
2014-04-03, 05:31 PM
((A few things: The location of the nearest temple of Ioun, the location of the oracle's house, the aqueduct's location, the eastern wall's location and the location of a tavern near to the aqueducts. I've got a plan.))

"Well, we have to find a place to set up a plan without being noticed. Can anyone see a place where there isn't a yellow guard?"

Gavran
2014-04-03, 06:04 PM
Alaric Malthas

Alaric nods thoughtfully at Laseonus. "Quite right, I was only thinking that should our friend make it into the city, that would be the one place we'd definitely all end up. Perhaps we can somehow make our presence known without.. drawing attention." He sighs loudly. "We're not going to... perform, are we?"

GPuzzle
2014-04-03, 06:14 PM
"Well, not you, or basically anyone else here, except perhaps Yaner. But he doesn't need to, if my plan goes right. But we need to find a place where there aren't guards everywhere."

zingbobco000
2014-04-03, 06:40 PM
"I'm ok with preforming if it is so required. Now about those guard towers..."

Can I please have some luck here! I don't think I've rolled higher then a simple 10!

zingbobco000
2014-04-03, 06:42 PM
Whoops... Forgot about the roll itself... :smalltongue:

Perception: [roll0] A 12!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Felhammer
2014-04-03, 08:07 PM
ABEA

The paladin is concerned when mention of the Pelan higher-ups are in town, "This is not good. Our task has become very difficult now. We must be on our guard. There is no telling what those Pelans will do if they catch us." Abea looks around for a dark alleyway in which to congregate to discuss their options.

[roll0]

MasterBen
2014-04-03, 08:28 PM
the temple of Ioun, and consequently, the oracles home, are at the north base of Mount Orathis, across the road from the temple of Avandra. Its about a 40 minute walk from your current location, through the city center. The aqueducts branch off from the main city at the northeast wall. You here mention of a Inn with fantastic water works, beneath the main aqueduct. There is another inn that you hear is abandoned right by the damaged area.

MasterBen
2014-04-03, 08:29 PM
You notice an alley by a stall that appears empty and has several large crates in it that could probably hide you

Felhammer
2014-04-04, 02:06 AM
ABEA

The paladin nods her head towards the dark alley way filled with a few crates, "Would that serve our needs, friend?"

zingbobco000
2014-04-04, 06:57 PM
"Yes, I think it would just nicely."

MasterBen
2014-04-06, 10:12 AM
you all quickly proceed to the alley, easily obscuring yourselves and putting you safely out of earshot of the townspeople.

Felhammer
2014-04-09, 03:44 AM
ABEA

The paladin taps her foot expectantly, "What manner of devious plan has your mind concocted?"

GPuzzle
2014-04-09, 04:51 AM
"That's easy. Me and you, Abea, we'll head to Ioun's temple. Yaner and Lasenous head to the bar below the aqueduct and keep an eye open for anywhere we can escape. The rest, to the Oracle's house. We meet at the bar"

zingbobco000
2014-04-09, 09:46 AM
"That's easy. Me and you, Abea, we'll head to Ioun's temple. Yaner and Lasenous head to the bar below the aqueduct and keep an eye open for anywhere we can escape. The rest, to the Oracle's house. We meet at the bar"

"Yes sir! Come on Lasneous, let's get moving." Yaner then casually walks out towards the aqueduct and goes to the bar. Keeping a lookout for suspicious watchers and an exit for the other groups.

I guess perception?: [roll0] ANOTHER FLIPPING 3!!!

Binks
2014-04-09, 10:17 AM
Laseonus

Laseonus follows Yaner with a shrug, keeping his eyes open for possible escape routes.

Perception: [roll0]

Gavran
2014-04-09, 12:07 PM
Alaric Malthas

"Well, that's what we're here for. I just hope no one runs into any trouble they can't handle..." says Alaric, concern evident in his voice, before moving back toward the street.

Felhammer
2014-04-09, 12:28 PM
ABEA

Nodding the deva states, "The Temple it is."

MasterBen
2014-04-10, 12:02 AM
Yaner and Lasenous: You make your way through the city, following the aqueduct walls and pipes till you arrive at the northwest wall. You find the inn lying directly under the aqueduct, funneling water down to it. From the roof of the inn, it would appear that one could easily climb to the aqueduct.

((insight, perception))

Cestgax and Abea: You approach the temple district, but find that this part of the city as its own section of low walls with several gates. Banners marked with Pelor's golden sun hang from most of the walls, while city guards and Pelan guards stand at each gate.

((religion, insight, perception, or history checks))

Alaric and Selene: You approach the oracles house, which sits near the temple of Pelor and Avandra, just inside the temple district. The home appears to have been recetly ransacked.

((perception, insight, streetwise))

Nuala: The day creeps by to about 2 hours past noon. You notice that a construction crew has begun work on the wall, attempting to make repairs and begin reconstruction.

((insight, perception, dungeoneering))

Felhammer
2014-04-10, 01:59 AM
ABEA

The paladin stands in awe of the temples to Pelor. Few, if any churches in her homeland were this grandiose. She whisks her head around taking all the sights, sounds and smells in.

Religion [roll0]
Insight [roll1]
Perception [roll2]
History Insight [roll3]

Gavran
2014-04-10, 07:58 AM
Alaric Malthas

Alaric turns to his partner after briefly surveying the home's exterior.
"Well then... I suppose we knew this was a possibility. But if they made a mess of the place that means he isn't cooperating with whoever did this... and it's possible nobody was home. Why don't you take a look around and I'll see if anyone nearby saw anything?"

zingbobco000
2014-04-10, 10:59 AM
Well it seems that that was quite easy. Yaner than asks Lasneous: "Well, that was a bit easy, what do you thing we should do now? Go back to the inn?"

Daracaex
2014-04-10, 05:12 PM
Nuala Athear

Nuala sat up when she saw the construction crew start work on the wall. She had been planning to wait till nightfall, but if they finished their repairs or took down the scaffolding before then...

She quickly pulled a handful of arrows and the length of wood that was her bow from the bundle the weapons were hidden in, strung it, and slung it over her shoulders. Slinging the rest of the pack over it, she quickly began making her way around to where the scaffolding was, attempting to use rocks or other bits of cover to approach without being spotted.

[roll0]

MasterBen
2014-04-11, 12:38 AM
Yaner and Lasenous: As you approach the Inn, you are suddenly greeted by a pair of Pelan guards merging from the inn. They give you you a quick greeting and move on. However, you suddenly realized that the Inn stables are filled with horses, and saddlebags marked with the symbols of the sun.

((perception, insight))

Cestgax and Abea: As you approach the guards protecting the temple district, he looks up with a look of dismay. "Another follower of the great god Pelan, drawn by stories of his grand defender having come to are quaint town." He nods at Abea. "Unfortunately, the High Paladin is here with the business of accompanying Bishop Mathias during his most holy pilgrimage. I'm sorry, but i have orders to keep the temples closed while they are here. These are important men and their safety in prayer us our responsibility. Though no doubt the High Paladin could fend of any foe, Imagine the stain on the honor of our city if he were attacked during prayer. In two days, the district will be open again. You may visit the temples then." He sadly gestures you away.

Alaric and Selene: Quick discussion with the local townspeople reveals that the oracles home was attacked earlier today by masked men in black. Guards are currently posted outside and all over the area to look for the attackers and the family. You hear that the oracle has a good friend living nearby and that if he is alright, it is safe to assume he may be there.

Nuala: As you approach the construction sight, one of the guards turns to look at you while you run between 2 pieces of cover. You freeze and drop, diving behind a rock. You hear a guard shout, "Theres someone out there. You two, check it out!"...

zingbobco000
2014-04-11, 08:30 AM
As Yaner passes the guards he wipes his forehead as if he is sweating. Phew, that was a close one. As they near the horses Yaner looks carefully at the bags, and the horses themselves.

Perception: [roll0]... :smallfurious::smallfurious::smallfurious::smallfu rious::smallfurious:

Felhammer
2014-04-12, 12:38 AM
ABEA

Smiling the deva states, "I am a member of the faithful. I carry with me the holy symbol of the god that is worshiped in that temple. I have come a very long way and do not have time to dither in town and wait until their excellencies vacate the premises. My schedule simply will not allow it. Please, allow my friend and I to pass. You have my word as a Paladin that no harm or disruption will occur."

[roll0]

Binks
2014-04-14, 10:15 AM
Lasenous

Lasenous concentrates on not looking nervous as he approaches the Inn. As the guards pass he gives a slight nod to them in response to their greeting and tries to judge what their actions may mean.

Insight: [roll0]

Daracaex
2014-04-14, 11:34 AM
Nuala Athear

Nuala quickly grabbed two arrows and knocked the heads off before stringing them to her bow. There was no sense in killing guards, but the point-less arrows would still hit hard and perhaps knock them out.

She waited behind the rock for the two guards to come into view. When they did, Nuala would summon up the spirits at her command and they would find themselves suddenly in the midst of a swarm of bats. Hopefully, they'd be distracted enough that she could slip away and rush the scaffolding without being spotted again. If she was really lucky, the swarm of bats might prompt the other guards to come to their aid.

Swarming Bats

Area Burst 2 within 10 squares, aimed to catch both guards
1d20+9
1d20+9
1d10+5
Effect (happens regardless of hit or miss): Slide each target 1 square towards center of burst. Burst becomes zone of difficult terrain until end of my next turn. Enemies grant combat advantage in the zone. I can sustain it with minor actions and move it with move actions.
1d20+5

MasterBen
2014-04-15, 07:58 PM
Yaner and Lasenous: You realize that the entire inn appears to be occupied by guards from Pelan. they don't appear to be actively looking for anything, mostly resting between shifts.

Cestgax and Abea: the guard looks Abea up and down, then nods. "My lady, I understand your plight. our great temple is often the sight of many holy pilgrimages. keep quiet and do nothing suspicious while inside." he pushes open the gate and gestures you through. "please be quick quick. and may Pelor's holy light bless you."

Alaric: Feeling destraught about the oracles abandoned house, you begin to search around the neighborhood for more answers.

Nuala: You here screams and the guards collapse at spirit bats soar form the ground and envelope them. in the confusion, you dart through and mingle with the work crew narrowly avoiding the sight of the guards.

Gavran
2014-04-15, 10:47 PM
Alaric Malthas

After making a final round looking for nearby (and cooperative) townsfolk, Alaric returns to Selene. "Some of the people seem to think the Oracle has found shelter with a local friend, I'd like to find out exactly where that is but... I think with this many people searching, we'd do better to regroup. Let's go to that inn the others were checking out - maybe we can get some more information there, too."

zingbobco000
2014-04-16, 10:54 AM
Yuno whispers to Lasneous "It is not safe here, for them to emerge in this area would be disastrous, we must find some way to contact them." To clarify what is going on: This is where they will enter, correct?

Felhammer
2014-04-16, 11:10 AM
ABEA

The paladin puts her hand on the guard's shoulder, "Pelor blesses you for your kindness." She then quickly slips behind the gate with her companion.

MasterBen
2014-04-17, 07:37 PM
Yaner and Lasenous: Realizing your escape route may be more complicated then you first realized, you begin to consider heading to your meeting point at the at the damaged inn near the east wall.

Cestgax and Abea: inside the basically abandoned temple district, you feel calm and relaxed among the seemingly divine silence. From far away you can hear faint chanting, holy scripture of Pelan by the sound. Suddenly, you see what appears to be a large group of people heading down the road. you duck into cover to avoid being sighted.

Alaric: Knowing that searching for the oracle may be dangerous without more help, you begin to consider making your way to the meeting place at the ruined inn.

Nuala: Now hidden among the workers, the you see the other guards sprint out to help their comrades.

((bluff, stealth))

Felhammer
2014-04-17, 10:18 PM
ABEA

The paladin sees the group headed their way and pulls her companion into an alleyway. After letting the group pass, Abea asks, "So, how should we go about our task now that we've managed to get inside?"

GPuzzle
2014-04-18, 09:27 AM
"We head to the temple of Ioun. I'll look for the southern wall, you keep anyone that's watching distracted. If we find the oracle, we have very few minutes to bring him to the aqueduct."

zingbobco000
2014-04-19, 09:19 AM
Yuno decides to try and head there instead.

Daracaex
2014-04-19, 12:20 PM
Nuala Athear

Once the other guards ran out to help their companions, Nuala quickly began climbing the scaffolding in order to get into the city. She tried to stay nonchalant and stealthy, but her priority was simply getting in. She could lose any pursuit once she made it.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Felhammer
2014-04-19, 01:36 PM
ABEA

"Very well. Let us make haste." The paladin grasps her right hand to ensure her spiked gauntlet - her only form of protection - is tightly fastened and ready to spring into action at a moment's notice.

Binks
2014-04-21, 01:23 PM
Lasenous

Lasenous follows to the meeting point, frowning at the complication to the plan.

MasterBen
2014-04-23, 08:01 PM
Yaner and Lasenous: You quickly move to the abandoned Inn, which appears to have half collapsed, but would seem to make a suitable hiding place. as you reach it, you see a figure climb over the wall, sneaking into the city.

Cestgax and Abea: As you wait for the crowd to pass, you notice 2 figures at the head. 1 wears extremely elaborate golden plate armor, completely covered in sun motif's. striding beside him is an old man with a long blonde beard and elegant robes. you hear the elderly man shout, "He must be hiding in this district, find him and his family now. I will seek the guidance of our god." after they pass by, you return to the streets, heading toward the temple of Ioun.

Alaric: You begin to make your way through the city towards your meeting place in the ruined inn where the others should be meeting soon. As you walk through a large courtyard, you over here that the guards appear to be searching the temple district for a missing fugitive.

Nuala: You quickly move over the wall, but the guard spots you just before you make it, shouting at other guards and urging them after you. You look over the wall and notice a half collapsed massive inn. as well as many other ruined buildings. You happen to notice 2 familiar looking figures standing near the ruins.

GPuzzle
2014-04-23, 08:08 PM
Cestgax is going to run towards the South Wall, shield on his back, and try to sneak in through the back door.

Felhammer
2014-04-24, 01:32 AM
ABEA

Abea follows suit but attempts to look hurried rather than in a deliberate sprint for the temple (which would cause many a raised eyebrow).

Binks
2014-04-24, 10:48 AM
Lasenous

Noting the figure climbing into the city Lasenous quickly checks for anyone else in the area who might have seen anything. He starts heading in the general area of the Inn, but does not head straight towards it, instead taking a path that would get within a dozen feet of the place but looks like it would continue right past, as though he is just wandering around.

Passive Perception 15, is there anyone else around and, if so, do they look like they saw the person entering the city?

Daracaex
2014-04-26, 11:24 PM
Nuala Athear

Nuala judged the distance between the wall and the roof of the collapsed inn, then discarded the idea of a run across the rooftops. Lasenous and Yaner just happened to be here, which was one bit of good fortune, at least. Not seeing a better way, Nuala figured she might as well scramble down the wall to the ground, drop her pack where Lasenous could grab it before the guard noticed, and run the other way to search for a hiding place.

[roll0]
[roll1]

MasterBen
2014-04-28, 07:45 PM
Yaner and Lasenous: You notice the figure on the wall drop to the ground and sprint into the ruined building. You recognize it as you elf Ally Nuala. She drops a bag before disappearing. You see guards come into the area, shouting things such as, "Where did she go, did you see her go somewhere."

Cestgax and Abea: You see a tower emblazoned with the sign of Ioun in the distance. as you come closer, you see that the temple is a circular building with the tower in the center. the outer ring off the building is a vast library. 1 ring inside is a collection of studies and and places of worship. in the center is a vast circular room for service and prayer.

Alaric: you continue to walk through the city, about halfway to your destination, you here guards talking about someone who broke into the city.

Nuala: guards spot you just as you sneak through, you evade and hide in large ruined building, half collapsed and hidden in sand banks. you drop the bag of gear just in place for Yaner and Lasenous to retrieve.

GPuzzle
2014-04-28, 08:10 PM
I knock the back door.

Binks
2014-04-29, 10:21 AM
Lasenous

Lasenous points down a side path no guards emerged from, as far from the ruined building as he can, and declares, in a deep and booming voice. "That way."

Bluff check: [roll0]
Going to use my memory of a thousand lifetimes racial to add 1d6 to it as well. [roll1]

Gavran
2014-04-29, 02:41 PM
Alaric Malthas

Surmising that the trouble may related to his allies, and noticing that the activity seems to increase as he gets closer to his destination, Alaric sets a brisk pace - hurrying toward the meeting place, but not moving so fast as to draw attention.

Felhammer
2014-04-29, 03:07 PM
ABEA

Abea quickly follows her companion into the building through the door that was to be shut.

MasterBen
2014-05-04, 10:22 PM
Yaner and Lasenous: the guard turns and shouts at you, "You there , what do you know of this, where is he."

Cestgax and Abea: an old priest stands just inside the door, carrying a stack of books. he drops them in a panic and shouts, "What are you doing here, who are you. We told the guards already that we had nothing for them. Please, don't do any we could regret."

Alaric: you hurry through the streets. ahead you see buildings with wind damage that are collapsed in places.

Nuala: you sit hiding in the ruins, watching guards rush around you. you figure that they will find you eventually, and quickly at this rate.

GPuzzle
2014-05-05, 03:22 AM
Cestgax whispers to the priest:

"Sir, I am a Paladin from Ioun, and we need to know where the oracle is. If we don't get to the oracle before the guards, this place, alongside any other temples from Ioun, will be destroyed, and the knowledge will be lost with the temples. Tyrants will govern, and the population will be controlled and subjugated by all means possible. We need to know where the oracle is."

zingbobco000
2014-05-06, 08:59 PM
"I assure you sir, I know nothing of this (it's true). I only saw someone rush past me. It was a flurry of movement, I'm sorry, is she important?" This is not a lie. Ok, I can't fail this...

Diplomacy (+12) and use words of friendship for a +5 bonus: [roll0] (+12) finally a good roll!!!! (a 35)

MasterBen
2014-05-12, 11:54 PM
Yaner and Lasenous: the guard stops and drops his head. "sorry sir, I apologize for inconveniencing you. someone just broke into the city and any help you give us would be greatly appreciated."

Cestgax and Abea: the priest begins to mumble, "the oracle, tyrants, oh dear, its the time of the return isn't it? we thought so, the guards were desperately searching for some knowledge they thought we had kept hidden. of course we did, for an honest defender of Ioun's truth such as yourself, we will be glad to share it, please, follow me."

Alaric: you see a small group of desperate guards ahead, searching the area.

Nuala: you notice your allies helping to keep you hidden, you hope the can keep it up or redirect the guards

Gavran
2014-05-13, 03:01 AM
Alaric Malthas

These guards must be searching for Nuala... well then, let's see how I can help.

Alaric scans the streets around him until he finds what he's looking for - a door in an alley, just around the corner from the guards - and with a word whispered in Supernal he channels his bartered power at it, causing the door to shatter apart. Pointing down the alley he shouts to the guards "Guards! Over here! Someone just broke into that building!"

Standard Action: Ruinous Phrase (utility power)
Destroys a medium or smaller, unattended inanimate object within 50 feet with 27 or less HP.

Anddd here's a Bluff roll for good measure! Though it'll be embarrassing if Alaric can pull off fancy magic tricks but not convince suspicious guards that a broken door is a break in. :P
Bluff: [roll0]

Edit: Speaking of embarrassing... still that's got to be worth some kind of circumstance modifier. x.x

zingbobco000
2014-05-14, 08:25 AM
Yaner and Lasenous: the guard stops and drops his head. "sorry sir, I apologize for inconveniencing you. someone just broke into the city and any help you give us would be greatly appreciated."

Cestgax and Abea: the priest begins to mumble, "the oracle, tyrants, oh dear, its the time of the return isn't it? we thought so, the guards were desperately searching for some knowledge they thought we had kept hidden. of course we did, for an honest defender of Ioun's truth such as yourself, we will be glad to share it, please, follow me."

Alaric: you see a small group of desperate guards ahead, searching the area.

Nuala: you notice your allies helping to keep you hidden, you hope the can keep it up or redirect the guards

"It's ok sir, you were only doing your job."

GPuzzle
2014-05-14, 01:18 PM
Cestgax closes the door. And fast.