View Full Version : Best spells for Fell Frighten that are not Evocation?

Corwin_of_Amber
2014-03-08, 05:10 PM
Pretty straightforward, can anyone suggest some nice low-level spells that can reliably apply Fell Frighten to multiple targets? Something like Magic Missile for a conjurer. No SR and guaranteed damage is a plus, I'm hoping for something between levels 1-3.

So far I think the best candidate is Kelgore's Grave Mist, but something with more control over the targets would be nice.

Miss Disaster
2014-03-08, 05:45 PM
Cloud of Knives is ideal for what you need. Plus, it has Action Economy benefits. Shadow Spray is a smaller tactical area-effect and delivers the Fell Frighten payload via STR damage (plus has a Dazing effect). Both are 2nd level spells.

If you can backport Pathfinder spells, Aqueous Orb is also an excellent Fell Frighten delivery vehicle (literally). If you are sticking to 3.5, look at Numbing Sphere and its Damage + Entanglement effect.

Fun *and* Deadly!

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-03-08, 06:08 PM
Path of Frost in Dragon Magic if the opponents are close to you.

Ice Darts in Frostburn is similar to Magic Missile, but decidedly worse.

You can get Gloves of the Starry Sky from the Raiment of the Four set in MIC and be able to cast Magic Missile even if it's not on your class spell list or if it's from a prohibited school. Goggles of the Golden Sun in that same set do the same thing for Fireball.

I think Kelgore's Grave Mist plus Web or similar is going to be your best choice, though.

Jack_Simth
2014-03-08, 06:46 PM
Fell Frighten (Flash Frost (Snowcasting (Detect Magic))): 3rd level spell slot, can theoretically be made permanent for 500 xp, gives a 60-foot emanation in front of your eyes that:
Deals 2 points of cold damage
Forces balance checks
Causes opponents to become Shaken.

For real fun, do a Fell Animate(Fell Drain(Flash Frost(Snowcasting(Detect Magic)))). Then walk through town. 5th level spell slot, but well worth it for the enterprising necromancer that wants a lot of zombies quickly. Especially as it can be made Permanent with a Permanency spell for just 500 xp.

ninjamaster1991
2014-03-08, 07:41 PM
Evard's Black Tentacles might be good. Insect Plague might work for what you're thinking of, though it's a pretty high level.

Miss Disaster
2014-03-08, 08:06 PM
Path of Frost in Dragon Magic if the opponents are close to you.

Ice Darts in Frostburn is similar to Magic Missile, but decidedly worse.

You can get Gloves of the Starry Sky from the Raiment of the Four set in MIC and be able to cast Magic Missile even if it's not on your class spell list or if it's from a prohibited school. Goggles of the Golden Sun in that same set do the same thing for Fireball.

I think Kelgore's Grave Mist plus Web or similar is going to be your best choice, though.Would you be able to spontaneously substitute a 3rd level spell slot for a Fell Frighten Magic Missile (as in the case of the OP, he has Fell Frighten as a known feat) as an option to just using the Gloves to spontaneously substitute a 1st level spell for a plain, vanilla Magic Missile?

chaos_redefined
2014-03-08, 08:44 PM
Dessicating Bubble from Spell Compendium is like Flaming Sphere, but only 2d4 damage, and the damage isn't resisted by much.

Hail of Stone (also from Spell Compendium) is a 1st level, no-save, AoE. It costs 5 gp per use though.

Melf's Unicorn Arrow from Complete Mage is 3rd level, but also pushes them back. If you can get the damage (and therefore the frighten) before the pushback effect, then it's like an extra +2 to the check.

Caustic Smoke, also from Complete Mage, is again 3rd level, but includes a fog cloud effect, and a fort save or -5 to attack. And if you can tack on some acid damage from another spell, they make a fort save or become blinded. Oh, and the damage is repeating.

Miss Disaster
2014-03-08, 10:06 PM
Since more precise target control is needed by the OP, you may also want to look at Toothed Tentacle from Lost Empires of Faerun book. Like Cloud of Knives, it's a multi-round duration spell where you can get multiple attacks on the same target ... or on multiple targets.

It's attack bonus is your CL + your Casting Ability Modifier. Since CL-boosting means are easy and many, your ability to hit for damage and Fell Frighten can be quite good.

Corwin_of_Amber
2014-03-09, 03:45 AM
These are some great spells. I especially like the visual of Toothed Tentacle with a fear effect.

Thank you.

Miss Disaster
2014-03-09, 12:13 PM
These are some great spells. I especially like the visual of Toothed Tentacle with a fear effect.

Thank you.

The "concentration component" of Toothed Tentacle is worded a little odd compared to other concentration-durationed spells. My group and I tweaked the verbiage to work like other more structured and rules-friendly concentration spells (like Silent Image, Telekinesis, etc.).

If you like that spell, there's also a higher-potency version of it called Spell Fangs in the 3.5 Anauroch sourcebook. It's 4th level and does more damage. I think that version may have a more sensible and logical Duration listing for the Concentration component of the spell.