PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder You want feats? I'll give you feats! [Base Class]

Tanuki Tales
2014-03-08, 09:05 PM
This class was inspired by spikeof2010's thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=335680).

Ezermester

Role: The repertoire of talent for an Ezermester to draw upon is incredibly varied and eventually protean, allowing them to fill most roles that they set their mind to.

Alignment: Any

Hit Die: d8

Starting Gold: As Fighter

Class Skills
An Ezermester has all skills as class skills.

Skill Ranks per Level: 6 + Int modifier.

Ezermester
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Feat Suite

1st|
+0|
+0|
+2|
+0|Falsified Credentials, Trade Secrets|3

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+3|
+0|Invigorating Diversity|5

3rd|
+2|
+1|
+3|
+1|Balance the Scales|8

4th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+1|Shuffle the Deck|10

5th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+1|Just Fake It!|13

6th|
+4|
+2|
+5|
+2|-|15

7th|
+5|
+2|
+5|
+2|Stack the Deck (1)|18

8th|
+6/+1|
+2|
+6|
+2|-|20

9th|
+6/+1|
+3|
+6|
+3|-|23

10th|
+7/+2|
+3|
+7|
+3|-|25

11th|
+8/+3|
+3|
+7|
+3|Stack the Deck (2)|28

12th|
+9/+4|
+4|
+8|
+4|-|30

13th|
+9/+4|
+4|
+8|
+4|-|33

14th|
+10/+5|
+4|
+9|
+4|-|35

15th|
+11/+6/+1|
+5|
+9|
+5|Stack the Deck (3)|38

16th|
+12/+7/+2|
+5|
+10|
+5|-|40

17th|
+12/+7/+2|
+5|
+10|
+5|-|43

18th|
+13/+8/+3|
+6|
+11|
+6|-|45

19th|
+14/+9/+4|
+6|
+11|
+6|Stack the Deck (4)|48

20th|
+15/+10/+5|
+6|
+12|
+6|Jack of All, Master of Legend|50[/table]

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the Ezermester

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies

An Ezermester is proficient with all simple and martial weapons. They are proficient with light armor and shields (but not the tower shield).

Feat Suite

An Ezermester is defined by the massive selection of feats that they accrue across their adventuring career. Starting at first level, an Ezermester has a number of feats of their choosing as denoted on the table above. They must meet the prerequisites for any feat they gain through the Feat Suite class feature (as amended by the Falsified Credentials class feature).

Falsified Credentials (Ex)

The prerequisites for feats are more guidelines than actual rules when it comes to an Ezermester:
If a feat requires a minimum ability score in order to select it, the Ezermester is treated as if their score in that ability is equal to 10 + their levels in this class, whichever is higher.
If a feat requires levels in a certain class in order to select it, the Ezermester is treated as if they have levels in that class equal to their levels in this class.
If a feat requires a character to be a certain race or possess a certain racial trait, the Ezermester is treated as if they are a member of that race or possess that racial trait.
If a feat requires a character to have a certain class feature, the Ezermester is treated as if they have that class feature. This "class feature" is treated as if it is possessed by a member of the appropriate class who's level is equal to that of the Ezermester.

Trade Secrets
If an Ezermester takes levels in any class except this one, they lose access to all feats and class features that were granted to them from taking levels in this class.

Invigorating Diversity (Ex)
Just like mixed ancestry can bring out the best traits of both in an individual (known as Hybird Vigor), the stamina and health of an Ezermest is bolstered by their wide arrangement of feats.

At second level, an Ezermester gains additional hit points equal to the number of feats in their Feat Suite and gain a bonus on Constitution checks equal to half their class level, rounded down.

Balance the Scales (Ex)
Some feats simply are just terrible, giving static bonuses that are quickly outstripped in utility as the character who possesses them grows in power. This is not the case for an Ezermester, who wields such feats nearly effectively as any other.

Starting at third level, any feats that an Ezermester has access to because of their Feat Suite class feature, but which provide a bonus or resource that does not scale with class level, increase the bonus or resource given by one quarter their total levels in this class (minimum +1).

Shuffle the Deck (Ex)
While feats are more or less set in stone for members of other classes, they behave in far more protean a manner for an Ezermester.

Starting at fourth level, by spending eight consecutive hours resting, an Ezermester may reselect the feats granted to them by their Feat Suite class feature. Once per day, as an immediate action, they may change a number of feats equal to their Intelligence Modifier plus one quarter their total levels in this class (minimum 1) as if they had just rested for eight consecutive hours.

Just Fake It! (Su)
The falsehoods that an Ezermester spun to meet the prerequisites for their feats have grown to the next level, becoming more akin to a truth than a lie.

Starting at fifth level, the Ezermester gains a pool of Falsehood points equal to 1 + 1/2 their levels in this class + their Intelligence modifier. They may spend a Falsehood point as an immediate action, gaining the benefits listed below:

The Ezermester selects one ability score that required their Falsified Credentials class feature to allow them to qualify for a feat. They gain an enhancement bonus to that ability score sufficient enough to allow them to actually qualify for the feat currently in their Feat Suite with the highest requirement for the selected ability score.
The Ezermester selects one race that their Falsified Credentials class feature allowed them to pose as in order to meet the prerequisites for a feat in their Feat Suite. They gain the racial traits and subtype(s) of the selected race.
The Ezermester selects one class feature that their Falsified Credentials class feature allowed them to pose as having in order to meet the prerequisites for a feat in their Feat Suite. The Ezermester gains use of the selected class feature, as if they were a member of that class with a level equal to the Ezermester's, with the following limitations:
If the selected class feature has limited uses per day, the Ezermester may only use it once.
If the selected class feature is spellcasting, manifesting or similar mechanic, they may cast a single spell/manifest a single power of the highest level available-1 as a spell-like/psi-like ability once. The spell/power is of the highest level available for that specific spell (i.e. they would gain Haste as a 3rd level spell, not as a second).

The effects of using a Falsehood point lasts for a number of rounds equal to 3+ the Ezermester's Intelligence modifier (minimum 1). Using another Falsehood point before the effects of a previous one has expired causes the previously used Falsehood point's effects to prematurely expire.

Stack the Deck (Ex)
Some feats may only be taken once, never again blessing their benefits upon the character who has already felt their touch. As you've no doubt learned by now, such paltry limitations are something that happen to classes that are not the Ezermester.

Starting at seventh level, an Ezermester may select one feat, when selecting their Feat Suite for the day, that normally does not allow itself to be taken multiple times, but which confers a benefit that can reasonably stack. The Ezermester may choose to take the feat an additional number of times, when selecting feats for their Feat Suite, equal to the numbers of feats they may select with this class feature (so at seventh level they may take it one additional time).

At 11th, 15th, and 19th level, the Ezermester may select an another feat to benefit from this removal of limitation, to a maximum of four feats.

Jack of All, Master of Legend
The Ezermester has gone the distance, honing their craft of feat mastery and mimicry of what they're not to the edge of perfection. So great is the culmination of their training and experience that they have breached into the realm of essential demi-godhood, gaining the following benefits at 20th level:

The Ezermester becomes Mythic Tier 1 (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/mythic/mythic-heroes), or increases their Mythic Tier by one if they already possess one.
If the Ezermester is already Mythic Tier 10, they should discuss a proper reward to be granted by this class feature with their GM.
The Ezermester automatically gains access to any Mythic version of any feats that they have access to because of their Feat Suite class feature.
The Ezermester may use their Shuffle the Deck class feature an unlimited number of times per day.

Tanuki Tales
2014-03-08, 09:07 PM
Here's something quick and dirty. :smalltongue:

qazzquimby
2014-03-09, 02:06 AM
Thank you! I'd spent some time looking for a class like this, built entirely of feats, and I think you've done the job incredibly well.

Assuming you've played around with it, what kind of builds have you made?

Ziegander
2014-03-09, 03:07 AM
So, if we accept this as "how a feat class should look" how does that inform us as far as Fighter class design goes, eh?

Belial_the_Leveler
2014-03-09, 04:45 AM
Some six months ago, I made a class with very similar mechanics here;
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=304478

The flavor though was different. Instead of tricking his way through feat prerequisites and training, my Warrior simply trained his body to extremes to better adapt to feats.

Tanuki Tales
2014-03-09, 09:43 AM
Thank you! I'd spent some time looking for a class like this, built entirely of feats, and I think you've done the job incredibly well.

Thank you kindly.

Assuming you've played around with it, what kind of builds have you made?

I threw this thing together last night after seeing the linked thread in the first post. I haven't actually played around with it yet (and seeing as how I haven't been in a game as a player for years, no clue when that would happen).

So, if we accept this as "how a feat class should look" how does that inform us as far as Fighter class design goes, eh?

That the 3.0 design team assumed Fighters were unfair, so they nerfed feats into the ground to make up for it? :smalltongue:

Some six months ago, I made a class with very similar mechanics here;
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=304478

The flavor though was different. Instead of tricking his way through feat prerequisites and training, my Warrior simply trained his body to extremes to better adapt to feats.

That class does look neat, but why didn't you give it a capstone?

Ziegander
2014-03-09, 11:38 AM
That the 3.0 design team assumed Fighters were unfair, so they nerfed feats into the ground to make up for it? :smalltongue:

Oh, no, I meant for homebrew Fighter class design. :smallamused:

Tanuki Tales
2014-03-09, 12:22 PM
Oh, no, I meant for homebrew Fighter class design. :smallamused:

That they should abandon bonus feats and give Fighters real class features, obviously. :smallwink:

Belial_the_Leveler
2014-03-09, 04:29 PM
One of the reasons I didn't give a "capstone" ability for my version of a feat class is that I thought the class was powerful enough already - it gained access to Epic Feats after all.

I am not sure if a relatively small number of non-epic feats limited to the Pathfinder list are enough of a bonus to match spellcasters though. This class makes it up with its ability to mimic class features and cast a limited number of spells but its feats alone are probably not enough for high-level play. When I tested my own version, I found that the Epic feat chains matched well against spells; Exceptional/Infinite Deflection against ray/orb attacks, Epic Dodge against very buffed melee casters, Self-Concealment to avoid being targeted by no-save spells, Awaken/Improve Spell Resistance for general defense, Spell Stowaway to hijack their uses of Wish/Miracle/Timestop, Epic Skill Focus for utility and if the casters go and exploit Gate, it could match them by exploiting Epic Leadership.

You should look into the Epic Feats list if you want feat-based high-level abilities for your class instead of giving it access to spells/class features.

spikeof2010
2014-03-09, 05:25 PM
I'm very flattered someone actually got inspired by my joke class! Heh.

Tanuki Tales
2014-03-09, 06:04 PM
One of the reasons I didn't give a "capstone" ability for my version of a feat class is that I thought the class was powerful enough already - it gained access to Epic Feats after all.

I am not sure if a relatively small number of non-epic feats limited to the Pathfinder list are enough of a bonus to match spellcasters though. This class makes it up with its ability to mimic class features and cast a limited number of spells but its feats alone are probably not enough for high-level play. When I tested my own version, I found that the Epic feat chains matched well against spells; Exceptional/Infinite Deflection against ray/orb attacks, Epic Dodge against very buffed melee casters, Self-Concealment to avoid being targeted by no-save spells, Awaken/Improve Spell Resistance for general defense, Spell Stowaway to hijack their uses of Wish/Miracle/Timestop, Epic Skill Focus for utility and if the casters go and exploit Gate, it could match them by exploiting Epic Leadership.

You should look into the Epic Feats list if you want feat-based high-level abilities for your class instead of giving it access to spells/class features.

I'm not looking to equal spellcasters or make this a Tier 1 class.

Zaydos
2014-03-09, 06:25 PM
I'd be a little worried about Stack the Deck + Balance the Scales just because you break the RNG and... well Power Attack but PF changed PA so heavily that becomes much less worrisome. I mean WF x 4 = +24 to hit at 20th, Dodge is +24 to AC, and you just end up with huge modifiers that force the DM to either make all the monsters so they can hit/dodge you or you can't be hit and dodge all attacks. I mean the DM can still deal with such a character (alternate attack forms and such) but it still ends up problematic.

Tanuki Tales
2014-03-09, 06:28 PM
I'd be a little worried about Stack the Deck + Balance the Scales just because you break the RNG and... well Power Attack but PF changed PA so heavily that becomes much less worrisome. I mean WF x 4 = +24 to hit at 20th, Dodge is +24 to AC, and you just end up with huge modifiers that force the DM to either make all the monsters so they can hit/dodge you or you can't be hit and dodge all attacks. I mean the DM can still deal with such a character (alternate attack forms and such) but it still ends up problematic.

Balance the Scales wasn't meant to stack with Stack the Deck. So, thanks for catching that.