PDA

View Full Version : Gamer Humor Questions to ask a "Gamer?"

DMfromTheAbyss
2014-03-08, 11:07 PM
What are some good questions to ask a prospective gamer to judge how familiar they are with RPG's and gamer culture in general.

These can be as simple as..

How many different RPG's have you played?

How often should the party of adventurers be split up in a dungeon setting?

What does the Acronym THAC0 stand for?

If the Game master is smiling and asking if you are sure your character wants to do that you should..
a) immediately confirm the action
b) Immediately deny the action
c) Think long and hard about what you are doing and about the current context of the situation.
d)Be very afraid

Or as convoluted as...

Given the statement: A drow is chasing a svirfneblin through Menzoberranzan, because he stole his piwafwi.

Can you explain what is going on in this statement?

What is the approximate value of the stolen goods?

Why was this a bad idea on the part of the gnome?

Think of it as a test of a gamers experience and a guage of what you can expect from that at the table. If asking about specific game(s) please specify the answer and the source material(game, book or other).

GoblinArchmage
2014-03-08, 11:13 PM
Are you a virgin?

A true gamer will answer "yes."

Seerow
2014-03-08, 11:14 PM
Are you a virgin?

A true gamer will answer "yes."

True gamers know it's their duty to create the next generation of gamers.

From their pants.

NikitaDarkstar
2014-03-08, 11:23 PM
You spelled THAC0 wrong.

Knaight
2014-03-08, 11:32 PM
What are some good questions to ask a prospective gamer to judge how familiar they are with RPG's and gamer culture in general.
This sounds like some sort of bizarre interview, and as such seems like a really bad idea - even putting aside the whole "a gamer" thing as an identity and how that's iffy at best. That said, actually answering them in a forum context seems kind of fun.

What does the Acronym THACO stand for?

Lost count.
As often as possible. GM's love that sort of thing. Also, it should split up into at least as many pieces as it has members. If you've got autonomous vehicles, familiars, whatever, you should send them on their merry way as well. It's the best
Base Attack Bonus, except needlessly convoluted.

If the Game master is smiling and asking if you are sure your character wants to do that you should..
c) Think long and hard about what you are doing and about the current context of the situation.
d)Be very afraid

A. Definitely A. This sort of thing always seems to produce fun - it might not be effective, but it produces fun.

Seerow
2014-03-08, 11:36 PM
A. Definitely A. This sort of thing always seems to produce fun - it might not be effective, but it produces fun.

So much this.

Backing out when the DM says "are you sure" may have prevented may character deaths and TPKs.

But those character deaths due to pushing the wrong button and getting eaten by a weretiger bullette are half the fun.

Aedilred
2014-03-08, 11:55 PM
Given the statement: A drow is chasing a svirfneblin through Menzobaranzan, because he stole his piwafwi.

Yes. Someone is attempting to establish social dominance by making his interlocutor feel ignorant. :smalltongue:

Zaydos
2014-03-09, 12:31 AM

B/C/E/M/I, AD&D, AD&D 2e, 3.0, 3.5, 4e, PF, GURPS, a Marvel super heroes game, Exalted, every RPG I've found a group for (mostly D&D since that's easiest).

PbP I don't know. RL game as rarely as possible because it leads to additional DM load and results in players sitting there thinking they're wasting their time.

Fun. Or the number needed after bonuses for your character to hit a target with an armor class of 0 (i.e. To Hit Armor Class 0), precursor to Base Attack Bonus.

d)Be very afraid

d, it's a trap.

Given the statement: A drow is chasing a svirfneblin through Menzobaranzan, because he stole his piwafwi.

Someone seems to think FR is the end all be all. And an overpowered (at least in 2e) gnome stole a cloak from a drow in the major drow city.

What is the approximate value of the stolen goods?

Depends upon edition.

Why was this a bad idea on the part of the gnome?

It wasn't. The gnome just uses the cloak to boost its stealth high enough to escape the drow city and profit :smalltongue: I mean if you managed to get into the city and steal the cloak you're stealthy enough to sneak about the city and therefore to sneak back out.

Now how about...

What are the planar native races (angels, fiends, etc) associated with each Outer Plane if any for a given plane?

D&D, scattered across many books. Archons (Mount Celestia), Guardinals (Elysium), Eladrin (Arborea), Slaad (Limbo), Tanar'ri (the Abyss), Obyriths (the Abyss; introduced in 3.5), Lomura (the Abyss; introduced in 3.5), Gehreleths (Carceri), Yugoloths (Gray Waste/Gehenna), Baatezu (Baator), Modron (Mechanus), Inevitables might also qualify (Mechanus), Rilmani (the Outlands)

Name all the Factions.

Planescape. Athar, Believers in the Source, the Bleakers, Chaosmen, the Doomguard, the Dustmen, the Fated, the Guvners, the Harmonium, the Independent League (unless you ask a member), the Mercy Killers, the Revolutionary League, the Sensates, the Sign of One, the Transcendent Order, the Xaositects; all of them have at least one alternative name. Bonus points for remembering that Clueless i.e. Primes are listed as their own faction in the player's guide in the Planescape Box Set.

What does Spelljammer mean?

D&D; it can mean the meta-setting intended to connect the various D&D settings via age of sail in space/space is an ocean style fantasy space travel; a space faring vessel from said setting; or the Spelljammer, the legendary living ship from that setting.

NikitaDarkstar
2014-03-09, 12:44 AM
What does Spelljammer mean?

I'm gonna need more booze or stronger pills to deal with this. And I will love it. The DM may also need a straightjacket.

AMFV
2014-03-09, 02:31 AM

Assumes that the more focused gamers play more RPGs, which is not strictly true in my experience. Actually those who are the most intensely into RPGs in my experience tend to be obsessively into a single system (although that may not be true in general, that's just my experience)

Depends on your game. There are games where splitting up is important, and games where it will get you killed. More heist type games like Shadowrun often require some splitting up.

You could use this to separate out gamers who had played pre-3.0 D&D but that's not all gamers.

d)Be very afraid

Depends on the dude, different DMs are different.

I'm not going to address the system specific convoluted ones since they are so very system specific. Hell I've read AD&D books and I didn't remember what that cloak was at first. I'm pretty sure that I'm more than a casual gamer.

Slipperychicken
2014-03-09, 03:19 AM
Yes. Someone is attempting to establish social dominance by making his interlocutor feel ignorant. :smalltongue:

How else do nerds establish social dominance? :smalltongue:

Aside from occasionally becoming billionaire entrepreneurs, I mean.

Shinken
2014-03-09, 03:36 AM

And that someone misspelled Menzoberranzan.

DMfromTheAbyss
2014-03-09, 09:02 AM
The sample questions were meant more as examples than actual questions.. That being said we have a few good ideas, some less good and some spelling corrections, which while I appreciate them, doesn't really answer my question, or rather my request FOR good questions.

For reference this is for a sort of questionaire, hopefully to give a prospective GM actual useful information about the player. Though I suppose a list of questions for a potential DM might also prove useful.

So any suggestions for questions?

erikun
2014-03-09, 10:33 AM
Q#1.) What does it matter?

What's the goal we're trying to figure out here? I mean, when I'm looking for advice on homebrew or creating a new RPG system, then familiarity with different RPGs is an important thing. When playing in a RPG, though, it's far less critical. Knowledge of other systems is especially irrelevant when not playing those systems, unless you're hunting for advice on which system to use.

I've had some of my best games with people completely unfamiliar with RPGs, as they've been more interested in acting out their character than worrying about the different mechanics. I've had some of my best games with people intimately familiar with the RPG system in question, because it let us easy and quickly use it to do what we wanted. It all depends on what you are looking for.

If you're just looking for general nerditude levels, then some basic questions are probably better. How familiar are you with RPGs? How many do you know of? How many have you played? Star Wars? Monty Python? Are you familiar with Planescape?

It kinds of depends on what you want to know, though.

SimonMoon6
2014-03-09, 10:34 AM
Which of the following are acronyms, abbreviations, or actual words? And what do they mean?

* FASERIP
* GURPS
* TORG
* BESM

What are your three favorite science fiction RPGs?

What are your three favorite superhero RPGs?

Name an RPG that uses exactly three ability scores.

Name an RPG that uses exactly nine ability scores.

TheStranger
2014-03-09, 10:42 AM
Absolute wrong approach, IMO. If you want to know if a prospective gamer is somebody you want at your table, you don't give them an entrance exam. You go have a beer with them. If you enjoy hanging out with them, you'll probably enjoy gaming with them. If not, all the system knowledge in the world doesn't make them a good fit for your group.

The idea that "gaming" is somehow different from every other form of social interaction is a misconception I see far too often on these boards.

sakuuya
2014-03-09, 10:47 AM
I don't think that asking players to prove their knowledge of system and setting minutiae demonstrates anything about them other than how much system and setting minutiae they know. There are games where these things could be important - if you're running a very high-op game, you want a prospective player to have strong system mastery; if it's gonna be a heavily intrigue-focused FR drow game, coming in with knowledge of Menzoberranzan would likely be helpful. But in most cases, I don't think that whether or not a player knows the tale of Eric and the Dread Gazebo has much bearing on how they'll act at the table.

Although, frankly, if a GM wouldn't deign to play with me until I proved my "gamer cred," I am probably not a good fit for that person's game, so your screening process might actually work at keeping the riff-raff out. :smallwink:

Finding out someone's playstyle is important, but I agree with TheStranger: a formal test is not the way to go, particularly if that test features questions with right and wrong answers in addition to the playstyle questions. Such a test might get prospective players in the mindset that they have to give the "correct" answers about playstyle, rather than the honest ones.

Grod_The_Giant
2014-03-09, 11:37 AM
Ayup.

There are questions that are good to ask, I suppose. "Do you know the rules we're going to be using? (And if not, are you willing to put in the effort to learn them?)" is a good one. "How much do you like to optimize?" can be important. "I run games like so, does that appeal to you?" Stuff like that. Minute trivia has nothing to do with compatibility at a gaming table.

Raum
2014-03-09, 11:45 AM
What are some good questions to ask a prospective gamer to judge how familiar they are with RPG's and gamer culture in general.What is a 10' pole used for and why is 10' too short?

Why are kobolds scary?

When should you talk to a Dragon?

Why is Johnson the boss?

neonchameleon
2014-03-09, 01:40 PM
1: What has been your best experience roleplaying?
2: What has been your worst experience roleplaying?
3: Do you trust the computer, Friend Citizen?
4: Do you like Plot Points or other metagame currency?
5: How frequent do you think character death should be?
6: How much input should the PCs have into world building?

There's only one of those with a right answer. But really, all you need is the first two question, and possibly only the first one.

Socksy
2014-03-09, 04:34 PM
Why are kobolds scary?

Does this involve Masters of Many Forms or Egoist 12s? :smalltongue:

Raum
2014-03-09, 05:27 PM
Does this involve Masters of Many Forms or Egoist 12s? :smalltongue:Nope, predates those...see Tucker's Kobolds (http://www.tuckerskobolds.com/) for answers. :smallwink:

Slipperychicken
2014-03-09, 05:54 PM
Maybe you could just ask the prospective gamer to give you a brief summary of his/her experience with pen-and-paper roleplaying (i.e. When did you start playing? How many different rule systems have you played? How many campaigns have you played? How long was the longest campaign you have played? The shortest?).

Additionally, it may be useful to ask the player about his views on roleplaying etiquette (i.e. What constitutes PvP and when, if ever, is it acceptable? When, if ever, is it okay to use metagame knowledge in character? To what extent, if at all, do you think it's acceptable to include sexual themes in a game? When is it acceptable to kill questgiver NPC? When do you feel that railroading is acceptable? How do you feel about evil-aligned PCs? And so on). All of these would probably ask for an brief explanation.

Nope, predates those...see Tucker's Kobolds (http://www.tuckerskobolds.com/) for answers. :smallwink:

I'd do several things: Add "explain your answer", and accept both Pun-Pun and Tucker's Kobolds as valid answers to that question. Also, bonus points for accurately explaining why it's scary.

Tengu_temp
2014-03-09, 06:05 PM
Anyone answering any of the DND-related questions with "oh please, don't treat DND and RPG as if they were synonyms" instantly counts as an experienced gamer in my book.

Also, Tucker's Kobolds drinking game: each time someone forgets they are an AD&D thing and treats them as a genuine threat to a mid-level DND 3e party, take a shot.

Socksy
2014-03-09, 06:48 PM
Also, Tucker's Kobolds drinking game: each time someone forgets they are an AD&D thing and treats them as a genuine threat to a mid-level DND 3e party, take a shot.

... I'm going to try this against my 13th levels. Give each kobold a few archery path ranger levels...

neonchameleon
2014-03-09, 07:00 PM
Anyone answering any of the DND-related questions with "oh please, don't treat DND and RPG as if they were synonyms" instantly counts as an experienced gamer in my book.

Define mid-level? I've traded Kobolds 1:1 with multiple fifth level 3.X parties. Of course there was a min-maxed second level kobold bard in the mix whose job it was to sound the alarm, and an utterly vicious crossfire.

Tengu_temp
2014-03-09, 07:07 PM
Define mid-level? I've traded Kobolds 1:1 with multiple fifth level 3.X parties. Of course there was a min-maxed second level kobold bard in the mix whose job it was to sound the alarm, and an utterly vicious crossfire.

The super-safe estimate is to go with the same conditions as Tucker's Kobolds; a party around level 12, kobolds straight from the Monster Manual, no extra HD or class levels. Although for me, mid-level starts around level 7-8, when casters get their level 4 spells; if a bunch of level 1 kobolds is a problem for you at that point, then either the party is pretty bad at optimization and basic tactics or there's a lot of DM fiat abuse.

Hell, the AD&D Tucker's Kobolds scenario already had DM fiat in it; for example, the kobolds could shoot through murder holes at the PCs, but the PCs were not allowed to shoot back.

Raum
2014-03-09, 07:28 PM
Hell, the AD&D Tucker's Kobolds scenario already had DM fiat in it; for example, the kobolds could shoot through murder holes at the PCs, but the PCs were not allowed to shoot back.Rather than derail the thread further with tactical points I'll simply point out that you've provided a binary answer to an analog question.

---

@ the OP: The questions I provided related primarily to the history/culture of gaming. All of the answers were fairly common knowledge (inside RPG cultures) ~20 years ago.

If you're looking for questions to prepare for an upcoming game, those are the wrong ones. Instead you'll want to discuss player and GM roles, style/type of play, and the boundaries (both in and out of game) which cause problems when crossed. In my opinion, this should be a group discussion rather than a questionnaire. YMMV

amalager
2014-03-09, 10:12 PM
I'd Ask:

1. Can you name me a few RPG's that you've played these past few years?
2. Among those that you've stated, which is your favorite and why?
3. Any suggestions on how to improve its gameplay?
4. If you were to create your own RPG, what elements will put in?
5. RPG stands for "Rocket-Propelled Grenade". True or False? :smallbiggrin:

Svata
2014-03-09, 10:58 PM
I'd Ask:

1. Can you name me a few RPG's that you've played these past few years?
2. Among those that you've stated, which is your favorite and why?
3. Any suggestions on how to improve its gameplay?
4. If you were to create your own RPG, what elements will put in?
5. RPG stands for "Rocket-Propelled Grenade". True or False? :smallbiggrin:

Ayoe answering FATAL to #2 is to be immediately shot.

TuggyNE
2014-03-10, 12:04 AM

From the nearest airlock.

AMFV
2014-03-10, 12:05 AM

Why? I mean it's juvenile and a little bit obscene and is dirty humor but that's what some people like. Hell, the designers of FATAL supposedly love it, while I don't, I can appreciate that it's a matter of taste, in the same way as some people enjoy literature I find repugnant.

Rhynn
2014-03-10, 01:37 AM
Why? I mean it's juvenile and a little bit obscene and is dirty humor but that's what some people like. Hell, the designers of FATAL supposedly love it, while I don't, I can appreciate that it's a matter of taste, in the same way as some people enjoy literature I find repugnant.

I think perpetuating unfunny old memes like FATAL and Pun-pun (and especially answering "Pun-pun" to any question about optimization) is a far more egregious offense than liking FATAL would be. Come on, people, at least have some range. Get up on some deadEarth, some RaHoWa, some Synnibar, a bit of SenZar... Knowing about FATAL establishes, at best, poser cred. (Although, appropriately enough, the original post of this thread is all about posing! :smallbiggrin: )

And really, anyone who thinks FATAL is a more offensive game than RaHoWa, or a more mechanically incoherent game than deadEarth, isn't very widely read. It's mostly just juvenile, and the most offensive material is ultimately pretty garden variety (about on par with South Park or 4chan).

neonchameleon
2014-03-10, 05:07 AM

Dirty humour is one thing. In the RPG.net review (http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/14/14567.phtml) FATAL is called the date rape RPG. There have been two rebuttals offered by the designers of FATAL at different points. (These aren't exact quotes, but near enough)
1: Incorrect. There are no rules for dating in FATAL
2: The grappling rules make it very hard to rape someone in FATAL

:smalleek::smalleek::smalleek:

Rhynn
2014-03-10, 05:14 AM

Is that an actual rebuttal? Because if you look at the actual rules of the game, there's a random combat table result that causes you to rape your opponent.

Granted, it's not very likely. I'm pretty sure the game also had specific rules for intentionally raping someone (grappling/wrestling with them, etc.).

It is absolutely an odious game, but come on: RaHoWa.

AMFV
2014-03-10, 05:16 AM
Dirty humour is one thing. In the RPG.net review (http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/14/14567.phtml) FATAL is called the date rape RPG. There have been two rebuttals offered by the designers of FATAL at different points. (These aren't exact quotes, but near enough)
1: Incorrect. There are no rules for dating in FATAL

:smalleek::smalleek::smalleek:

Well a reviewer being offended by something doesn't necessarily mean anything. To be honest I agree with the substance of the review. However, however... I've liked enough things that could be considered at least mildly offensive, to severely offensive, so I don't really think that I'm a position to be judging somebody else's guilty pleasures. Just because something is offensive, does not make it worthless or not fun.

neonchameleon
2014-03-10, 07:56 AM
Is that an actual rebuttal? Because if you look at the actual rules of the game, there's a random combat table result that causes you to rape your opponent.

One of the designers of FATAL (not Hall) showed up doing a youtube interview recently. And in it claimed the most unfair part of the review was that it's not a date rape RPG because the grappling rules make it very hard to rape someone.

It is absolutely an odious game, but come on: RaHoWa.

As I understand it, one of the differences is RaHoWa takes only about a dozen pages of half-baked game rather than about a thousand pages of loving detail, with two separate editions. And it's just one truly terrible thing wrong with it rather than being at least a turducken of terrible and possibly fractally terrible. (For those who are unaware what we are talking about, RaHoWa stands for Racial Holy War and is at least as bad as it sounds, in addition to being utterly incoherent, having combat rules that don't work, and not much of anything else). On the terrible RPGs list there's also Wraeththu (http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?244590-This-is-the-Wraeththu-review-you-ve-been-waiting-for)

Arbane
2014-03-10, 08:03 AM

Granted, it's not very likely. I'm pretty sure the game also had specific rules for intentionally raping someone (grappling/wrestling with them, etc.)

According to some longsuffering rules-monkey at Something Awful who did the math, the best way to kill someone in combat in FATAL is to drop your weapon and your pants, and try to **** them in the ear. This is both easier and requires less die-rolls than using a weapon.

:smalleek:

JeenLeen
2014-03-10, 08:04 AM
If I were thinking of asking a friend to a gaming group, or someone I wasn't already friends with, I would ask things like this:

We're planning on playing <this system>. Do you know the rules, or would you have time for me to go over them with you?

We generally play with a level of optimization like <insert> and <amount of metagaming>. Do you know your playstyle? Would ours annoy you or do you think they synch?

We want our characters to get along, but we understand sometimes there is inter-party conflict. <describe & talk about how the given group works> How do you feel about that?

We generally joke like <>, go on tangents roughly about <> often, and do food like <> during game. The humor can contain <note anything that could be offensive to some>. Do you think that would synch with how you like to do things? (Though I personally wouldn't invite someone who I didn't think would be okay with this.)

We meet <how often and when>, and although we know things come up to cause game to cancel, we don't want a player who often can't make it. We aim for weekly games, but are happy to get 2 or 3 times a month, since we're all busy with stuff. How flexible if your schedule? How much of a priority are you wiling to make this group?
Also give an understanding that if one player can't make it, whether we cancel game or play without that player.

I would also ask the rest of the group before asking the new person. Adding a person changes the dynamic, and that should be a group decision in my opinion (at least for my group.)

Ayup.

There are questions that are good to ask, I suppose. "Do you know the rules we're going to be using? (And if not, are you willing to put in the effort to learn them?)" is a good one. "How much do you like to optimize?" can be important. "I run games like so, does that appeal to you?" Stuff like that. Minute trivia has nothing to do with compatibility at a gaming table.

Although I agree to the spirit of this, I can see asking some questions about setting, terminology, & gaming trivia if the group often jokes about things. I can see a new person to my group getting a little frustrated if they don't get why we are talking about druids, clerics, and wizards as so powerful and fighters as weak.

Though this is all something that can be described, of course, but I can see it being something someone is interested in. I do agree, though, the questions shouldn't be asked in a way to make one feel ignorant. Probably better asked through discussing what they know of the system. For example, and to get away from D&D, if I were inviting someone to an oWoD game, I'd want to know what they knew of the setting, powers, etc.; do they know that and why Giovanni are creepy, and why Forces is a killing Sphere in mage? (Not knowing could be good for if IC their chars don't know, but it's frustrating if the other players joke about it and this player is left confused.) Maybe best to explain we joke about the system when asking about humor style.

Delwugor
2014-03-10, 03:55 PM
I have one and only one question I would ask.
How enthusiastic are you to game with us?

AMFV
2014-03-10, 04:08 PM
According to some longsuffering rules-monkey at Something Awful who did the math, the best way to kill someone in combat in FATAL is to drop your weapon and your pants, and try to **** them in the ear. This is both easier and requires less die-rolls than using a weapon.

:smalleek:

That's actually pretty amusing, at least to a certain section of my brain, maybe it's from being in the military but I have a pretty robust sense of humor, and I could envision a group that played that sort of game. Although it might be apparently reprehensible, it's not any worse than singing along with NWA or Ice-T, or reading books that feature toilet humor, or watching Jackass or the Saw movies (after the first one). Just because something is offensive, and devoid of intellectual value does not mean that we should ban others from doing it during their free time. I'm sure that everybody has at least one offensive pursuit without redeeming factors, and that they are afraid of revealing, because they are afraid of being smugly judged for it.

Waar
2014-03-10, 04:11 PM

"how familiar are you with RPG's and gamer culture in general?" :smallwink:

malmblad
2014-03-10, 05:02 PM
Which of the following are acronyms, abbreviations, or actual words? And what do they mean?

* FASERIP
* GURPS
* TORG
* BESM

They are all acronyms:
*FASERIP is the mnemonic for the old TSR Marvel stats: Fighting, Agility, Strength, Endurance, Reason, Intuition, Psyche.
*GURPS is Steve Jackson's General Universal Role Playing System
*TORG is either The Other Roleplaying Game OR King Torg (ALL HAIL KING TORG) from Kobolds Ate my Baby
*BESM is Big Eyes Small Mouth

What are your three favorite science fiction RPGs?

What are your three favorite superhero RPGs?

Rifts, Cyberpunk 2020 & an unfortunate soft spot for Alternity

TSR Marvel and Super Heroes Unlimited are the extent of my superhero RPGing

Name an RPG that uses exactly three ability scores.

Name an RPG that uses exactly nine ability scores.

BESM (non D20) uses Body Mind and Spirt

White Wolf uses 3 Mental, Social and Physical attributes each which I forget their breakout into 9.

Its been so long since I've seen FASERIP I felt obligated to reply.