PDA

View Full Version : Help with My Half Dragon Goliath

KozanShoku
2014-03-09, 02:15 AM
I am making a half Dragon Goliath (was a gnoll but changed do to racial hit die ) character at the moment he is ecl 5 and i am thinking of making him a fighter or barbarian I would like some advice on what feats and prestige to go with I like to be on the front lines killing things fast.
his scores are
Str 30
Dex 16
Con 21
Int 17
Wis 16
Cha 12
I have taken the feat Monkey grip for my first feat and i have taken the pathetic flaw for weapon focus great sword

Please give me advice

Gavinfoxx
2014-03-09, 02:26 AM
Wellll.... you're not going to like my advice...

but consider starting over, and trying to figure out your goals, and approaching this from a different direction.

I think this character, for ECL 7, is suuuuper weak. A real glass cannon with a glass jaw.

Consider:

Gnoll: 2 HD, +1 LA
Half Dragon: +3 LA
So at level 7, you have 1 class level and THREE hit dice. If anyone so much as glances at you, you're dead.

Compare this with a character that is build to be survivable, that does the 'fighty' and 'animalistic' and 'draconic' themes, like, say... oh, a Draconic (with LA bought off) Racoon Dog Hengeyokai (using the errata to remove the LA from the race) Warblade 7. Which you could do with almost the same flavor, and wayyyyy more competence. Give it Strongarm Bracers to do the 'I wield a big sword' thing (doesn't stack with Monkey Grip, but is MUCH better), and get power attack to make up for the strength difference, and you have a MUCH more capable and sturdy and viable and powerful and versatile character in general.

Windstorm
2014-03-09, 02:27 AM
I am making a half Dragon Gnoll character at the moment he is ecl 7 and i am thinking of making him a fighter I would like some advice on what feats and prestige to go with I like to be on the front lines killing things fast.
his scores are
Str 30
Dex 16
Con 21
Int 17
Wis 16
Cha 12
I have taken the feat Monkey grip for my first feat and i have taken the pathetic flaw for weapon focus great sword

Please give me advice

dig out the level adjustment buyoff rules from Unearthed Arcana and ask your DM if you can use them (if your party contains casters that are even mildly competent this is recommended). even with those rules you're still stuck with 2 racial HD forever.
given that between template and race you've got a +4 level adjustment, you'll probably only be able to buy off one level at ECL 18, but that's better than nothing.

if you have access to Tome of Battle give it a read and use a crusader or warblade instead of a fighter, as they allow you far more flexibility than the standard PHB fighter will ever give you.

if its a very unoptomized campain, you should still be ok, but you'll be lacking hitpoints. generally level adjustments and templates are terrible on melee characters, as you need every level you can get just to keep up with even remotely competent casters (they will always be more flexible than you from encounter to encounter, its the nature of the beast)

OldTrees1
2014-03-09, 02:34 AM
Since you have so few HD at your level, I would suggest starting with a d12 HD class. Of those classes 2 stand out:

Barbarian has a bunch of nice features loaded in the first 2 levels and can temporarily give you even more health.

Warblade will count your 2 racial Hit Dice as +1 initiator level.

If you want to keep it a fighter, I recommend going for Combat Reflexes plus Combat Expertise and Improved Trip or Power Attack and Standstill. By using a Reach weapon (Polearm + Armor Spikes or the exotic weapon Spiked Chain) you should be able to get a few hits on each foe before they can hit you.

KozanShoku
2014-03-09, 02:47 AM
Since you have so few HD at your level, I would suggest starting with a d12 HD class. Of those classes 2 stand out:

Barbarian has a bunch of nice features loaded in the first 2 levels and can temporarily give you even more health.

Warblade will count your 2 racial Hit Dice as +1 initiator level.

If you want to keep it a fighter, I recommend going for Combat Reflexes plus Combat Expertise and Improved Trip or Power Attack and Standstill. By using a Reach weapon (Polearm + Armor Spikes or the exotic weapon Spiked Chain) you should be able to get a few hits on each foe before they can hit you.

With out any armor on my ac is 18 thanks to the dex and the +5 natural armor. and i can wear anything so im not afraid of getting hit. since i figure having somewhere around 25 ac would keep me safe from a good chunk of attacks. i would however happily switch to a Goliath if you think it is more viable

OldTrees1
2014-03-09, 03:01 AM
With out any armor on my ac is 18 thanks to the dex and the +5 natural armor. and i can wear anything so im not afraid of getting hit. since i figure having somewhere around 25 ac would keep me safe from a good chunk of attacks. i would however happily switch to a Goliath if you think it is more viable

25 AC at 7th level is normal, not special. Being low on hp with only 25 AC is worrisome.

If you mean Switching to a Half Dragon Goliath, then that is probably not any better.

If you meant switching to a Dragonborn Goliath, then yes that is much more viable. (Dragonborn have wings or breath weapon)

Don't get me wrong, a Gnoll Half Dragon is do-able, but you do need to be careful for your first few levels.

KozanShoku
2014-03-09, 03:12 AM
25 AC at 7th level is normal, not special. Being low on hp with only 25 AC is worrisome.

If you mean Switching to a Half Dragon Goliath, then that is probably not any better.

If you meant switching to a Dragonborn Goliath, then yes that is much more viable. (Dragonborn have wings or breath weapon)

Don't get me wrong, a Gnoll Half Dragon is do-able, but you do need to be careful for your first few levels.

okay thanks i think i know what ill do

Gavinfoxx
2014-03-09, 03:43 AM
I personally don't consider 'Gnoll Half Dragon' doable...

And remember, AC isn't your only defense.

Saves, Immunities, immediate action defenses that remove line of effect, miss chance, etc. etc.

What happens if something targets your touch AC? What happens if something is an area effect? What happens if there is a damaging effect that doesn't allow a save? You NEED Hit Points and Hit Dice, because you WILL be hit -- there are too many ways to hit you...