PDA

View Full Version : Let's... Let's Play NWN2: Updated My Journal Edition

Krunch
2014-03-09, 02:38 AM
I recently purchased NWN2 from GOG. Obliviously I believed that my computer would be able to run it smoothly, just as it had other games from that era.

I was wrong.

Even so, the game is playable. It may not look so pretty on my computer, but it works. That's what counts.

However, a new problem has arisen. I've discovered that the core game is extremely boring. I've played through two different characters now, never passing the first act before giving up due to lack of interest. I was about to allow the game to join my massive backlog when I came up with an idea.

Browsing through the LPs here (specifically Deme's (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281642) Fire Emblem and HM64 ones), I've decided to make one of my own.

I plan on providing this LP through the main character's eyes -- or rather, through his or her journal. It'll go outside game itself, hopefully developing the protagonist into an interesting character (other than "generic rpg guy"). I may even bring in other characters that don't exist inside the game to further drive the story. What I'm basically aiming for in this LP is to tell a story beyond the actual game itself, so you're not just reading about me playing a game. Once this gets going, feel free to suggest encounters the protagonist might face (for instance, bumping into your own FR characters from your own tabletop games).

Hopefully that makes sense, but if it doesn't, once we get going it should...

Now for the game itself:

There will be spoilers, obviously.
I'll be playing on the D&D "hardcore" settings.
As stated earlier, I have to run it on lower settings; the screenshots might not be pretty!

And now for the first order of business, Making the Main Character:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v600/Rallard88/NWN2/itbegins.png

List of classes are here (http://nwn2.wikia.com/wiki/Class).

What I need from you guys:

Name
Class (No sorcerer, please)
Alignment

Optional:

Deity (Forgotten Realms)
Physical Appearance (Be as general as you want)

Refrain from making a background.

Just because you post first doesn't guarantee your character will be chosen, however. I'll base my selection on my own personal favorite and/or the general consensus of other posters.

Anyway, I'll give myself a few days, maybe a week, before diving back into the game with the new character.

So... help me out guys... give me a reason to play this game. :smallbiggrin:

Kesnit
2014-03-09, 05:45 AM
Two things before you start...

1) Grab Kaedrin's class pack (http://nwn2customcontent.wikidot.com/). He adds a lot of good options, as well as feats and spells.

2) Get TonyK's AI (http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=nwn2hakpaksoriginal.detail&id=141). A watered down version was officially patched into the game, but this is the full version. It does a lot to fix the stupid AI of the default.

Sajiri
2014-03-10, 04:39 PM
I'm seconding Kaedrin's class pack (I like to play the daggerspell PRC's with it, but there's plenty of other fun ones too). Also everyone complains about the story but I actually enjoyed it. Although I did feel the start of the game was pretty boring, it started to really pick up towards the end of act 1

Gender: Female- because it's funny to watch two certain npc's fight over you
Race: Never go wrong with human, but then it depends on-
Class: Get Kaedrin's pack :p
Alignment: My favourite of all, chaotic neutral >:)

Edit: Also there was something weird about the game I can't remember that affects why it runs so crappy on some computers and it's not the video card. Probably not much help me bringing it up when I can't remember what it was, but maybe you can look into it and find that you'll be able to tweak some stuff to run it on higher settings. I know I had to do something to mine long ago that lets me run it all on max and have it be perfectly smooth

Edit 2: It's a minor spoiler kind of but not much

There's a silver sword you get toward the end of the game that you're supposed to use. There's a mod out there somewhere that lets you change that sword into whatever weapon you have your proficiencies in so that you aren't worthless if you built yourself around another weapon. If you aren't playing a class/build that uses one handed swords, you might want to look into it. I can't remember (again) but I think you might have needed to start a new game to use that mod.

LordDavenport
2014-03-12, 09:29 PM
As with the first game, the real game is in the user generated content.
I have only played a couple, but they are all much better then the base game. There is even a full modual that is the story of connan the barbarian as a campaign.

Flickerdart
2014-03-12, 09:31 PM
There's no barbarian in the game, so do that. Go orc for race, because you want to have maximum smashing.

Quayleman
2014-03-12, 11:00 PM
There's no barbarian in the game, so do that. Go orc for race, because you want to have maximum smashing.

yea do this. Chaotic Good, but really play up the Chaotic. The core game kinda makes out any lawful character as a loyal servant of Neverwinter, which is pretty annoying. You are an Orc who smashes things. You don't care at all about Neverwinter's ability to sign trade agreements.