PDA

View Full Version : [3.X] Fimbulwinter vs Energy Substitution.

Yael
2014-03-09, 05:08 AM
I know that this might not work, but can the Energy Substitution spell change the type of the storm, say to make your snowflakes to burn or burn with acid?

Socksy
2014-03-09, 05:13 AM
Instead of sending the area into a deep cold, you would clearly send it into a deep fire.

I think acid rain constantly would be plausible, or a hot, dry summer, or something like that.

Seffbasilisk
2014-03-09, 07:50 AM
I would say no. Fimbulwinter evokes a very specific condition. It's not a static cold damage spell, like changing a fireball to electricity, it's set to bring about a harbinger of Ragnarok.

georgie_leech
2014-03-09, 07:59 AM
Strictly speaking, I think it's allowed; Energy Substitution just changes the spell descriptors. In this case though, I don't think that actually does anything; the rest of the spell specifically sets up wintery conditions. Maybe it's done by sucking away heat instead of generating cold, but RAW I think a Fimbulwinter [Fire] still gets you winter.

Psyren
2014-03-09, 12:33 PM
Strictly speaking, I think it's allowed; Energy Substitution just changes the spell descriptors. In this case though, I don't think that actually does anything; the rest of the spell specifically sets up wintery conditions. Maybe it's done by sucking away heat instead of generating cold, but RAW I think a Fimbulwinter [Fire] still gets you winter.

Yeah, that. It would only be a cosmetic change, or at best change how the spell interacts with certain class features. But you would get an acid spell that creates a blizzard, a fire spell that creates a blizzard etc.

TuggyNE
2014-03-09, 06:54 PM
Yeah, that. It would only be a cosmetic change, or at best change how the spell interacts with certain class features. But you would get an acid spell that creates a blizzard, a fire spell that creates a blizzard etc.

Not like this is unprecedented; the orb spells create a ball of acid that scorches, a ball of acid that freezes, a ball of acid that shocks, and so on.

Psyren
2014-03-09, 07:06 PM
Not like this is unprecedented; the orb spells create a ball of acid that scorches, a ball of acid that freezes, a ball of acid that shocks, and so on.

Except for the most troublesome one (Orb of Force) but yeah, agreed.