PDA

View Full Version : Avoid gaze attacks: just turn it invisible?

Trilby
2014-03-09, 08:49 AM
But then what? What are the pitfalls I'm missing in giving an enemy invisibility? Let's say we're fighting a bodak, and we're level 6?

Gellhorn
2014-03-09, 09:32 AM
Depends. Can you see invisible? If not, that's a 50% miss chance and a bonus to AC. You also can't get sneak attacks on it and don't necessarily know what square it is on.

sleepyphoenixx
2014-03-09, 09:53 AM
There's no need to turn it invisible. If you lack other options you can just close your eyes, making you immune to gaze attacks (at the cost of being blind which effectively makes enemies invisible).

You can try to boost your fort saves. At level 6 with a good fort save and 14 Con you're already at a +7.
Heroism (+2 morale), Resistance (+1 Resistance), Bear's Endurance (+2), Sundark Goggles (+2 circumstance, only 10gp, RotD), Crystal of Lifekeeping (+1,+3 or +5, MIC) are all cheap ways to increase your save.

If all else fails just kite it and kill it from range. It's gaze has a 30ft range and it only has 20ft movement speed.

Trilby
2014-03-09, 11:32 AM
Yeah, I agree, eyes wide shut is probably best. Combined with boosting saves. And I guess it wouldn't work anyway, because as soon as the bodak attacks, it would lose the invisibility. Ah well, might be a valid tactic once I get greater invisibility. But by then we'd have death ward and the like, so the point'd be moot.
The reason I'd like it to be invisible instead of us closing our eyes, would be having more options. I can't do much with my eyes closed. I guess I might as well use that invisibility on myself and boost the allies for this kind of enemy.

And as a squishy wizard, I unfortunately have a poor fort save.

hymer
2014-03-09, 11:45 AM
Invisibility (and its greater variety) are both touch range and grant a will save if the creature is unwilling (which is the Bodak's highest save).
It might be better to use illusions to block line of sight, or spells that will hasten the bodak's demise. A succesful Glitterdust should allow everyone to close their eyes and take the poor creature out, at a much better success rate than invisibility. Anything to hamper the bodak's already poor mobility could also help, the gaze only having an effective range of 30 feet.