PDA

View Full Version : Master of Shrouds - last details

Naanomi
2014-03-09, 10:48 AM
I'll be playing a Master of Shrouds in an upcoming campaign. I have most of the build done (pretty normal stuff, no DMM) but have two sticking points in the plan that perhaps someone can help with.

1) I plan on taking Undead Leadership. I can find incorporeal undead all the way down to ECL 2, but can't find any of my ECL 1 followers. Is there some minor phantom floating around out there I missed for this spot? If not than what... Skeletons, zombies, necropolitans?

2) at the end of the build I have 7 levels 'free' that I want Full Turning and Full Cleric Casting in... Paragnostic Apostle can fill 5, but those last two ... Feel silly at that point taking 2 more cleric levels. Sacred Exorcist has alignment problems... Any other classes I'm not thinking of that can go in there?

Plus any other advice on Master of Shrouds is always welcome:smallbiggrin:

Urpriest
2014-03-09, 10:57 AM
Where did you find ECL 2 incorporeal undead? There are very few ECL 2 undead of any sort, pretty much the only stuff those slots in Undead Leadership can accommodate are either Necropolitans or low-HD Zombies and Skeletons as per the table in Libris Mortis.

I can't find anything on the Lists of Stuff that fits for rebuking advancement and no CL loss, unfortunately, so you may be stuck just taking two more Cleric levels.

Edit: Also, as general Master of Shrouds advice, you want your DM to give you a ruling on whether or not bonuses to damage work on the ability damage of your minions.

Brookshw
2014-03-09, 11:04 AM
I don't have anything to help with the build but wanted to say kudos, that's by far one of my favorite prc's.

Naanomi
2014-03-09, 11:11 AM
Where did you find ECL 2 incorporeal undead? There are very few ECL 2 undead of any sort, pretty much the only stuff those slots in Undead Leadership can accommodate are either Necropolitans or low-HD Zombies and Skeletons as per the table in Libris Mortis.
Savage Progression on WotC site breaks down the ghost levels

Urpriest
2014-03-09, 01:16 PM
Savage Progression on WotC site breaks down the ghost levels

Ah I see, didn't occur to exploit that with followers but seems kosher.

CyberThread
2014-03-09, 01:21 PM
Ah I see, didn't occur to exploit that with followers but seems kosher.

Oh snap...

RedMage125
2014-03-12, 04:21 PM
I'll be playing a Master of Shrouds in an upcoming campaign. I have most of the build done (pretty normal stuff, no DMM) but have two sticking points in the plan that perhaps someone can help with.

1) I plan on taking Undead Leadership. I can find incorporeal undead all the way down to ECL 2, but can't find any of my ECL 1 followers. Is there some minor phantom floating around out there I missed for this spot? If not than what... Skeletons, zombies, necropolitans?

2) at the end of the build I have 7 levels 'free' that I want Full Turning and Full Cleric Casting in... Paragnostic Apostle can fill 5, but those last two ... Feel silly at that point taking 2 more cleric levels. Sacred Exorcist has alignment problems... Any other classes I'm not thinking of that can go in there?

Plus any other advice on Master of Shrouds is always welcome:smallbiggrin:
What level are you starting at? And, just out of curiosity, what is your build? In order to have 7 levels "free", I assume you are a Cleric 2/ something else 1, yes? That's the only way to get a +5 base Will save in 3 levels.

Naanomi
2014-03-14, 02:17 PM
Cloistered Cleric 1/Dread Necromancer 1/Cloistered Cleric +1/Master of Shrouds 10;

Into Paragnostic Apostle for '5' probably, leaving 2 levels of Cloistered Cleric at the end perhaps?

RedMage125
2014-03-14, 02:57 PM
Cloistered Cleric 1/Dread Necromancer 1/Cloistered Cleric +1/Master of Shrouds 10;

Into Paragnostic Apostle for '5' probably, leaving 2 levels of Cloistered Cleric at the end perhaps?

Is the level of Dread Necromancer strictly for the Will save and rebuke undead levels? Because I presume that all your Master of Shrouds and Paragnostic Apostle spellcaster levels will go towards cleric?

What level are you starting at, btw?

Because if you are starting at a high level, the 1 level dip in DN is doing nothing for you but delaying access to higher level spells by 1 level (not to mention the level of casting you lose as a Master of Shrouds), and I would suggest just going Cloistered Cleric 5/Paragnostic Apostle 1, then into Master of Shrouds for all 10 levels, and finishing with Paragnostic Apostle. Obviously, See Through The Veil should be your 1st choice at that first PA level.

Of course, I recommend that only if you're starting at high enough level to get what you want (Master of Shrouds levels). If you're starting at level 1, then you probably want to get into the PrC ASAP, and your suggested build is all right.

Naanomi
2014-03-14, 11:43 PM
Starting at lvl 5, right when MoS can get good. Dread Necromancer also gives me a 'heal Undead minion for free' ability; which is nice.

Everything goes into Cleric casting. Feats not determined 100%, but Tomb Tainted Soul is likely; and Undead Leadership (and maybe Extra Followers) is also a sure thing. Beyond that, probably some of the necromancer-y feats (Necromantic Presence, Corpse Crafter, maybe Master of the Undead or Obtain Familiar/Stitched Flesh Familiar); mostly depending on how 'lots of minions' VS 'buff my minions' feels as I go on.

SiuiS
2014-03-15, 01:02 AM
This makes me thing retraining shenanigans are in order.

Does master of shrouds grant a will save bonus? If so, then you should be able to retrain that one level of dread necromancer into being a MoS level... In your backstory.