PDA

View Full Version : Feat Selection for a classic...

ReluctantDragon
2007-02-01, 10:16 PM
That's right, I need feat selection for a 5th level dwarven cleric, with only core material. Its not necessarily an undead heavy campaign, so I'm unsure about the need for Improved or Extra Turning. I was thinking about Weapon Focus, but really, should I? Improved Initiative? Come on...

I never realized how much of an optimizer I was until I realized that I could probably rule a battle with no feats at all, with this guy.

Regardless, any recommendations on what to choose?

Bears With Lasers
2007-02-01, 10:22 PM
Power Attack, Combat Expertise (take Improved Trip next). Use the War domain to get proficiency in... er... something you can trip with. I'm sure one of the dwarven gods uses a tripping weapon.

daggaz
2007-02-01, 11:16 PM
Heh... look for the post I made (is it just me or do feats for clerics suck) which pretty much covers everything you want for a core cleric. Except we strayed away from the trip build cuz it didnt fit my character idea.

That Lanky Bugger
2007-02-01, 11:30 PM
Improved Initiative is pretty much always helpful for a spellcaster, though I suppose it's more so for blasters like Sorcerers. The Extend Spell metamagic feat makes buffing a lot more attractive, and Still Spell can mean the difference in a fight by letting you use a shield and one-handed weapon.

Lightning Reflexes will let you patch the holes in your Saving Throws. As a Cleric you'll probably have a decent Con which grants a small bonus to Fortitude, and you get good Will saves through the Wisdom requisite and because Clerics get good advancement. They generally suck at Reflex saves and the +2 might make the difference.

Isomenes
2007-02-01, 11:35 PM
Reach Spell is super useful for non-tactile tactical healing. If you're into that.

Hario
2007-02-02, 12:53 AM
Reach Spell is super useful for non-tactile tactical healing. If you're into that.
That's not core material. I second Extend Spell, and Also suggest Quick Draw for switching between weapon and touch spells (can't do both) or Craft Wonderous Item, There is so much you can do with that its not even funny, though Scribe Scroll is just as good, since you know all spells, you make scrolls of ones you use once in awhile, a little XP lost never hurt anyone that badly.

Bears With Lasers
2007-02-02, 12:54 AM
Use a two-handed weapon. You can take one hand off your weapon to make your touch attack, no problem. You shouldn't be using a sword-and-board setup as a Real Melee Guy anyway.

The_Snark
2007-02-02, 01:43 AM
Power Attack and Cleave are pretty good, if you're using a two-handed weapon and planning on going into melee a lot.