PDA

View Full Version : Demons and Devils (3.5e)

jordan.k93
2014-03-09, 03:19 PM
I had an idea for an encounter but I was wondering about something;

Devils and Demon's can't work together can they? I am not well versed in the Lore of 3.5, but I remember there's something called a Blood War? Or something?

Demon's and Devils murder each other right? Would there be someway to explain why a Succubus might be trailing a Devil?

Urpriest
2014-03-09, 03:33 PM
Yeah, Demons and Devils are bitter enemies. It's the whole Lawful Evil exemplars versus Chaotic Evil exemplars thing.

Does it need to be a succubus? There are plenty of Devils that fill similar roles, like Erinyes (sort of anyway) or Pleasure Devils (Fiendish Codex II, more direct analogue).

The Insanity
2014-03-09, 04:01 PM
They fight, but there's nothing stopping you from making these two individuals look past their differences for some mutual goal, if it's important enough to both of them.

Vhaidara
2014-03-09, 04:02 PM
Trailing or following?

Trailing implies tracking, or rather that the devil isn't aware of it. This is entirely possible with a succubus, since they're the espionage role for demons in the Blood War

Following implies working for, which is less likely. Still possible. Also, you could have a devil that is statistically identical to a succubus, but with an L before the E instead of a C.

Telonius
2014-03-09, 04:03 PM
They're at opposite ends of the Law/Chaos axis, and opponents in the Blood War. So generally, yeah, they'll pretty much attack each other on sight. However, if you're designing your own campaign, you don't have to include that bit of lore; they could be just different kinds of Evil monsters, if Good and Evil are more salient than Law and Chaos in your game.

There's also a rather famous exception for succubi: Eludecia (https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fc/20050824a), the Succubus Paladin. So there is some precedent for demons in general (and succubi in particular) to have an alignment other than CE.

The Insanity
2014-03-09, 04:10 PM
They're at opposite ends of the Law/Chaos axis, and opponents in the Blood War. So generally, yeah, they'll pretty much attack each other on sight. However, if you're designing your own campaign, you don't have to include that bit of lore; they could be just different kinds of Evil monsters, if Good and Evil are more salient than Law and Chaos in your game.

There's also a rather famous exception for succubi: Eludecia (https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fc/20050824a), the Succubus Paladin. So there is some precedent for demons in general (and succubi in particular) to have an alignment other than CE.
There's no need for changing lore. If those two have a reason to cooperate, then they can.

jordan.k93
2014-03-09, 04:12 PM
Yeah, Demons and Devils are bitter enemies. It's the whole Lawful Evil exemplars versus Chaotic Evil exemplars thing.

Does it need to be a succubus? There are plenty of Devils that fill similar roles, like Erinyes (sort of anyway) or Pleasure Devils (Fiendish Codex II, more direct analogue).

Those Pleasure Devil's are almost exactly what I'm looking for, just their CR11 to my CR5 party.

Think I'll homebrew a Succubus into a 'Lesser Pleasure Devil' or named similar.

Thanks for the help guys

The Insanity
2014-03-09, 04:28 PM
So you didn't care about demons and devils, you just wanted a low CR succubus-like outsider?

Erynies.