PDA

View Full Version : "Backup" PCs - Opinions?

Tevesh
2014-03-09, 04:47 PM
I've been running my game for a few months now and I've had players join, try a session or three and then quit for various reasons. I still have their character sheets on hand.

We're getting to the point where Save or Dies or just epic high level play can easily take a PC out of a fight for a long time. My thought is to have one of these older characters spring up as a backup when a main character drops.

When that character gets back up, the spare disappears until needed again. The main thing is to stop players from sitting around because they got unlucky and decided a staring contest with a Bodak was a great idea while the rest of the combat rages for an hour or three.

So... What do you think?

ZamielVanWeber
2014-03-09, 05:36 PM
Ask their original creator. If they say "yes" go for it, otherwise don't.

SamsDisciple
2014-03-09, 05:43 PM
Using other characters as back up pc's isn't usually the best idea but if you have a high fatality campaign it is usually best to have a back up character made by each player but keep the back up a couple levels lower so there isn't as big of a temptation to seppuku and just switch characters each session.

Meth In a Mine
2014-03-09, 05:59 PM
I really don't think back-ups should be used, but you know your group's needs better than I do. However, there needs to be SOME incentive to keep one character, regardless of your stance on the 'reserve' character idea.

CyberThread
2014-03-09, 06:00 PM
could you just pop the eraser out and rename it?

ZamielVanWeber
2014-03-09, 06:06 PM
could you just pop the eraser out and rename it?

It would still be taking that person's work without your permission, which is what I advise avoiding.

HammeredWharf
2014-03-09, 06:15 PM
I don't see why you'd want to use the old characters as backups. Just ask your players to make another set of characters.

Meth In a Mine
2014-03-09, 06:27 PM
I don't see why you'd want to use the old characters as backups. Just ask your players to make another set of characters.

I think he wants to do that to save time.
I do agree with you, it'd be more fun to play a character you made instead one of someone you never met.

Sir Chuckles
2014-03-09, 08:08 PM
I always tell my players to have at least one concept on the back burner, even if it's just a bare-bones "Race-Class(es)-Theme" idea.
Shortens rewrite time significantly. Even more so if they put down the raw information before hand.

It can be difficult if you physically roll stats, but if you use point buy, it's possible for someone to end up with half a dozen back ups.

I don't even say that they need to be one sheets. I, and one of my players, just copy the monster stat block onto Word and fill it in.

Tevesh
2014-03-09, 08:56 PM
They're not characters the PCs have never met. They're former PCs that sort of fell by the wayside due to the Player no longer wishing to play in the game.

And yeah, I don't want them to replace the first ring of characters. It's just if someone fails a Save or gets hit with a lucky Crit, I don't want the player to sit there for who knows how long until the PCs have time to get them back up.

I am seeing an overwhelming negative vibe. However, every time previously when a PC has bit the bucket, the Player decided that they wanted to keep playing the PC than roll something new. I'm not concerned about having them switch or be new people, these would be second stringers who jump in to take a few hits while the PCs deal with the current fight.